Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 at Tangerine Racing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
turboman808
Well the smashed front end look works for me.

Chris didn't seem to think so. So he is repairing it. smile.gif

IPB Image

I'm real excited to see it on the road again. piratenanner.gif
Smitty911
First rule of the road, Use you own brakes not the cars in front of you.

Been there done that. Normally expensive.

Let see it when the body is done.

Smitty
Spoke
That should buff right out.
SGB
KUSTOM!
VaccaRabite
This is what happens when you paint cartoon eyes on your windshield and can't see out!

poke.gif

Zach
Sparky
Dude, now you know why DaveC named that car Cecilia, it just keeps breaking your heart!! It's still real pretty and I'm sure Chris will bring her back!

Keep us posted,
Mike D.
davec
I thought it was named after that girl with the huge bazongas! drooley.gif

What happened Turboman? Is that being repaired by Chris at Tangerine Racing?
turboman808
Yeah Chris is fixing it. Lord knows I can't fix it.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(davec @ Jun 10 2008, 10:00 AM) *

Is that being repaired by Chris at Tangerine Racing?

Actually Ed is responsible for most of the progress so far. smile.gif

First day:
Click to view attachment

Today:
Click to view attachment
turboman808
THats awesome smile.gif
jmill
The repair looks good so far.

Chris, do you have any pictures of a front corner repair that includes the inner fender. I've got to replace my passenger side corner and want to see how the experts do it.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jmill @ Jun 10 2008, 04:03 PM) *

Chris, do you have any pictures of a front corner repair that includes the inner fender.

This is the closest thing I have. I just welded this piece on my race car a couple weeks ago.
jmill
Thanks that helps. I've got to patch up my front corner and was wondering where to cut. Mine needs a similar repair. I might have to bring it to the door pillar. The door is tight when I close it.
ChrisFoley
I suggest completely removing the fender by drilling out the spot welds.
Then you can repair the inner fender/floor/front panel. While the fender is off, do whatever metal repairs are needed to it. Then reattach and paint.
jmill
Will do. thanks for the advice. The only concern I have is getting the front suspension points lined up right. I'll have to fab up a jig so everything lines up square. The forward mount for the front control arm is tweaked up about an inch and a half. It looks like Turboman's damage didn't affect the suspension geometry.
r_towle
It does not look like the front strut tower was moved...

I would suggest that you replace only what is needed. That is alot easier to line up thing.

If the whole fender was pushed, take it off. The rear of the fender is attached to the same piece of sheet metal that the hinges are attached to...could be the issue.

Rich
jmill
I'm hoping it's just preloaded and when I straighten it out the door will fit nice. All the door lines seem to match up real well. It just seems that the door is an 1/8 too big. I can hear some metal to metal contact in the door lock area when I close it. The door requires a bit more force to close because of this. Is there a way to adjust the door locks that I'm not seeing?

It doesn't need much. Just a tad to stop it from hanging up in the door lock.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jmill @ Jun 11 2008, 11:25 AM) *

...The only concern I have is getting the front suspension points lined up right. I'll have to fab up a jig so everything lines up square. The forward mount for the front control arm is tweaked up about an inch and a half. It looks like Turboman's damage didn't affect the suspension geometry.

We bolted my jig up to Turboman's car today. It looks like the mount is still in the proper location.
Click to view attachment

Repair pieces are nearly ready to weld in place.
Click to view attachment

Fenders with turn signal openings are going on next.
Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jmill @ Jun 11 2008, 12:19 PM) *

Is there a way to adjust the door locks that I'm not seeing?

When the 4 screws that hold the strike plate to the door jamb are loosened, the plate should move around a little bit. It may be corroded in place though. IIRC the part on the door is not adjustable.
turboman808
Looking really good. I don't think Dave was to happy about me wanting to go back the the stock fenders over the slant nose fenders. But really once you finish he might change his mind.

Thanks for doing what I imagine in my mind. biggrin.gif

i love porsche
wow..i havent seen that car in FOREVER

glad to see you are going back to the stock nose, i have to say i like it better
jmill
The repairs look great. Thanks for posting pictures of the progress and your jig. It's good to see how to do it the right way. I don't wish this kind of damage on anyone, but it did come at a good time for me to see (sorry Turboman). I like your jig but I'll have to make one with more reference points. The damage I have is a bit more extensive. I'm sure when I dive into it I'll have a bunch of questions.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jmill @ Jun 12 2008, 10:53 AM) *

I like your jig but I'll have to make one with more reference points.

I made the jig from a straight car, years ago. If the other side isn't damaged it aligns very nicely. The only other thing I do is measure the fore-aft position of the mount by running a tape measure back to the crossbar pickup on the chassis.
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 10 2008, 01:24 PM) *

QUOTE(jmill @ Jun 10 2008, 04:03 PM) *

Chris, do you have any pictures of a front corner repair that includes the inner fender.

This is the closest thing I have. I just welded this piece on my race car a couple weeks ago.

My my would you look at the size of that thing? Bigger is better. The fresh air system! (Foley Ram Induction) How in the world did you run that all the way to the back of the car? Air cooled is an understatement.
turboman808
popcorn[1].gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jun 13 2008, 03:15 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

sawzall-smiley.gif
idea.gif
smash.gif
blowtorch.gif
welder.gif
thumb3d.gif
beer.gif
rmital
hey Nate...looking forward to you getting your wheels back. Hopefully we could arrange a group meet/drive once you do.
turboman808
QUOTE(rmital @ Jun 13 2008, 03:08 PM) *

hey Nate...looking forward to you getting your wheels back. Hopefully we could arrange a group meet/drive once you do.

Yeah are there any 914s left in NJ LOL

I'm going down to Gotham Dream Car tomorrow afternoon for there open house then The Whiskey Cafe. Don't plan to be at either one very long though. If you want to see cars none of us car afford Gotham Dream car is the place to go.

http://www.gothamdreamcars.com/

Oh I forgot to post pictures but they had the new Ferrari(the front engine one) and a Maserati MC12 up the street Wednesday night.
i love porsche
maybe ill see you at the whiskey cafe tomorrow nate

the paychecks will start rolling in soon, and i spent the entire drive home today thinking about what im gonna do with the 914...
turboman808
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Jun 13 2008, 03:51 PM) *

the paychecks will start rolling in soon, and i spent the entire drive home today thinking about what im gonna do with the 914...

Cool you gonna work on it at Movie Time. Haven't been there in over a year.
rmital
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jun 14 2008, 01:06 AM) *

QUOTE(i love porsche @ Jun 13 2008, 03:51 PM) *

Cool you gonna work on it at Movie Time. Haven't been there in over a year.

you guys give me a date you'd like to wrench...I'll arrange it.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jun 13 2008, 03:15 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Click to view attachment

Nathan, call me!
i love porsche
ok..im drooling over that front end, i think im more excited than nate to see this car finished
turboman808
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Jun 16 2008, 11:35 AM) *

ok..im drooling over that front end, i think im more excited than nate to see this car finished

I doubt that. I really want to get this on the road so the cops can finally take my license for good LOL

Called Chris and from the picture I kinda new what he was gonna tell me. The fiberglass lids fit for shit. Sticking with steel.
i love porsche
what are you doing for headlights?
turboman808
We don't need no stinking headlights aktion035.gif

I have an idea, I got the parts needed to do that idea. Then I handed them to Chris in hopes that it will work. sawzall-smiley.gif
i love porsche
turn signal headlights?
turboman808
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Jun 16 2008, 01:17 PM) *

turn signal headlights?

Yeah thats what I am hoping for smile.gif
ChrisFoley
The only problem with the headlights you supplied is that they are fog lights and have no hi-beams. That doesn't really bother me but hopefully it won't bother a NJ state inspector.
rmital
NJ inspectors are so forgiving..... poke.gif I'm sure they'll understand.
Eric_Shea
I don't think Dave was to happy about me wanting to go back the the stock fenders over the slant nose fenders.

I am smilie_pokal.gif

Great work guys.
turboman808
QUOTE(rmital @ Jun 16 2008, 02:11 PM) *

NJ inspectors are so forgiving..... poke.gif I'm sure they'll understand.

It will pass wink.gif

Car doesn't have an emergency brake or speedometer either. Those I would like to remedy later on.

Oh I was also going to get historic plates for it. I was under the impression that with historic plates you don't need to get it inspected. Could be wrong. confused24.gif

But I am sure Ray can get me a inspection sticker. poke.gif
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Inspections/VehiclesExempt.htm
i love porsche
go to a private inspector...it helps if you know them
rmital
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jun 16 2008, 06:17 PM) *

Oh I was also going to get historic plates for it. I was under the impression that with historic plates you don't need to get it inspected. Could be wrong.

no inspection needed with historic plates...but you will, "technically", be limited with you mileage. But having known you for a short period of time, I don't expect that that would slow you down.
turboman808
QUOTE(rmital @ Jun 17 2008, 05:15 AM) *

no inspection needed with historic plates...but you will, "technically", be limited with you mileage. But having known you for a short period of time, I don't expect that that would slow you down.

I really don't drive much anymore so it won't be an issue. I've only driven the solstice 3000 miles this year.
ChrisFoley
Part of today's progress toward your special headlights:
turboman808
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 17 2008, 04:22 PM) *

Part of today's progress toward your special headlights:

Awesome work aktion035.gif
Eric_Shea
I gotta say it again (hope not to offend). I'm way happy this car is getting fenders again. It looks great. wink.gif
ChrisFoley
More progress pics.
The new wing looks really rrrrnice.
Here's the high downforce position:
Click to view attachment

and the city streets cruising position:
Click to view attachment

We got the new tires mounted and started widening the rear a little more:
Click to view attachment

ohmy.gif It figures the previous flares were done crudely and couldn't take even a little stretching without tearing wide open. So we will add some new metal:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
turboman808
Still not sure about the wing but eh see what happens. sad.gif

Maybe it's just those winglets. I will replace them withsomething else and see if that works. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.