Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Continuing Work on My 914 EZ30R Twin Turbo Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
charliew
I will follow this my son and I are looking at standalones mainly because the drive by wire is a bear to get right with rr. And I like the idea of getting rid of all the excess wires of the oem ecus but at a pretty steep price.
budman5201
QUOTE(Numbchux @ Sep 4 2009, 08:54 PM) *

QUOTE(TwinTurbo914 @ Sep 4 2009, 11:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Numbchux @ Sep 3 2009, 10:19 PM) *

very cool! what do you plan to run for management? stock ECU won't work in a porsche due to immobilizer issues, so you'll be running a standalone of some sort. I know Hydra can run the EZ30DR, but the AVCS and AVLS control is open loop. the new Link can control them all with closed-loop mapping, but that setup is extremely expensive.

I bought an EZ30DR shortblock about a month ago.....haven't decided what to do with it. putting it in a 914 has crossed my mind....
IPB Image

You posted your engine as ez30dr, there is actually two different engines the 01-04 engine which has no variable valve lift or variable cam timing, and its called the ez30d they also only have one exhaust port per head. The engine im using is the ez30r which has the cam lift and valve timing, and three exhaust ports on each head. The ez30r was made from 05-07, then they changed to the ez36r which isnt any good for performance because of the offset connecting rods.

Both of the ez30's are awsome engines with tons of performance potential, outfront motorsports builds them for dune buggys and has made over 1100 HP with a stock block with a closed deck, and a stock crankshaft. Cant wait to get mine going.

Im looking into the link its not that much more expensive then the hydra. But i have quite awhile before i have to worry about Engine management.

But have been making progress on the car just nothing to exciting to show any pics of

common mistake, the actual engine code is EZ30DR. the '05+ one with AVCS and AVLS is the DR. the motor I have came out of an '05 Tribeca. the 3.6 is a DR as well, but it has AVCS on both intake and exhaust cams. too bad about those rods though.

anyway, sweet project. I have worked with a few Links on various swaps, and have an older one (v4 Link 1) that I plan to use on my supercharged EJ22e (which might find it's way into a 914....). I would highly recommend going that route.

budman, are you a Link dealer? I need a ComLink for my ECU....

Yep I have a comlink. Can you take a picture of your input port so i can make sure its the correct one for your application?
Numbchux
QUOTE(budman5201 @ Sep 13 2009, 01:24 PM) *

Yep I have a comlink. Can you take a picture of your input port so i can make sure its the correct one for your application?

sending a pm so I don't clutter this thread anymore....Thanks!
TwinTurbo914
Well not to much new going on still plugging away at the car, just lots of grinding. Im cleaning up all the boxing and welding i did in the engine compartment and the interior. Hey I gotta make everything look pretty. Still got quite a bit to do though.

I started this weekend by working on laying out the roll cage. I should have my tubing in the next few days. And I'll probably start working on that this weekend.

But the exciting news is at least for me, haha, Is my engine is in, but its about 450 miles away. But it could not have had better timing as my parents are going on a cruise this week and they come back on Monday, and they leave out of San Diego so that means they are passing right by the company that i bought my engine from. So they are gonna pick it up for me a save me a weekend of driving.

I cant wait to get it, it the one thing really holding me up right now

TwinTurbo914
Well started on the Rollcage this last weekend and got quite a bit done. Here's a few pics to show some progress, hopefully should be able to work on it some more this weekend. Im still waiting on the engine, but thats a whole other depressing story, but it should be here soon.

Enjoy the pics

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
TwinTurbo914
Well Great news today, I finally got my engine. I picked it up from Gruppe-S this weekend, worked out perfectly as they are open on saturday, and we were going down to Socal for the Pomona swapmeet anyways. And then we were also able to go to the LA Autoshow saturday also. Had a great weekend down there and now the real fun starts now that I finally got my engine.

Ill get some pics of it as soon as I can get it unloaded out of the truck.
TwinTurbo914
Well Finally Got the engine out of my truck yesterday, my dad bought a big vertical metal cutting band saw at the swapmeet this weekend, so it had my engine trapped in my truck. So I had him help me unload everything yesterday. So I was able to unload the engine and I just had to get it into my engine bay, ive been waiting for this moment for ever. I used my existing transaxle mounts and used some leveling stands for the engine and got it mocked up last night. And it fits and looks awsome.

Unfortunatly my engine mount bar for the 4 cylinder subie isn't going to work so im going to make all new mounts, because im gonna give the mounts to one of my employee's that is gonna buy my 4 cylinder subie engine setup to do a swap on his 914.

The engine fits great with plenty of room all around, and just looks really cool ( will look even better once I get both turbo's hanging off of it biggrin.gif). One thing I was a little worried about is oil pan clearance, but that looks to be like its not gonna be a problem. I have the car on the ground and setting pretty low and I have about 6" minimum ground clearance with the oil pan.

Ill Post some more pic soon I gotta get my camera back from my GF. I just snapped these with my phone because I couldn't wait.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
strawman
Sweet, a big block Suby!

I'm kinda surprised the engine bar doesn't fit -- for some reason, I thought the Suby six-cylinder engine and the four-bangers shared engine mounts... I guess the EZ30 is completely different. And your pics seems to discount others' suggestions that the EZ30 won't fit between the rear suspension ears.

Good luck on the project!

Geoff
charliew
It might just be a different motormount. Did you try to see if the 4 motor mounts would work on the 6? The 6 mount might be a stronger mount though.
TwinTurbo914
QUOTE(charliew @ Dec 10 2009, 08:08 AM) *

It might just be a different motormount. Did you try to see if the 4 motor mounts would work on the 6? The 6 mount might be a stronger mount though.

The engine bar I built for the subie four was hard mounted, and it would not work with my turbo setup Im going to build for the six. I dont have the engine Mounts or engine brackets for the Six they were gone when I got it, but supposedly they use the same mounts for the Four but have a different mounting bracket on the engine block of the six.

But the Engine mount is not going to waste im gonna give it to my buddy that is buying all my subie four stuff to do a subie swap on his teener.
charliew
I'm sure you are using solid mounts to avoid motor torque in the chassis but my exerience with aluminum bolted solidly to a steel mount is that it will always need to be retightened I think because of the difference of the heat expansion between the two materials and the vibration and also the lower torque values of the aluminum. I have never tried a aluminum plate in between the block and the steel mount to see if that would help. Not a sandwich plate but a additional plate that the block bolts to then the plate would bolt to the steel mount. It is just easier for me to use poly mounts and not worry about it as getting under a car and retightening stuff is not a thing I like to do. Also aluminum has so much less torque holding characteristics than steel I have thought about bolting through the plate into or through the steel and bolting into the block and through the aluminum plate so the torque of the aluminum is the lower torque and the torque into or through the steel can be much higher. It is extra bolts to come loose so it may still be a extra problem and thats not good. I think maybe thats why harley shops loctite almost everything especially on the solid mount bikes.

I have had to put inserts in some of the fiero trannys to fix threads that get bad from a loose bolt in a mount. Not fun in the car.
budman5201
Oh hey that shiney header you have on your ej20 looks pretty, but its the same one that i had. It sticks down way too far and the stock heavy one doesnt. I recently converted mine back to stock due to clearance. So it fits nicely under the car now without sticking below the chassis. My power is still just as crazy, even with the smaller exhaust openings in the manifold. Seems to run a little quieter also....that was really my objective in switching back to stock.....
TwinTurbo914
QUOTE(budman5201 @ Dec 10 2009, 08:51 PM) *

Oh hey that shiney header you have on your ej20 looks pretty, but its the same one that i had. It sticks down way too far and the stock heavy one doesnt. I recently converted mine back to stock due to clearance. So it fits nicely under the car now without sticking below the chassis. My power is still just as crazy, even with the smaller exhaust openings in the manifold. Seems to run a little quieter also....that was really my objective in switching back to stock.....

I actually have a couple of those floating around, I bought another one at sema this year for $40. Im gonna sell them to my buddy who has a subie, and is buying all my subie 4 stuff for his 914. Ground clearance is not gonna be a problem with the headers on the ez30r, plus im making them myself so if they are to low I can only blame my self.
Heater Guy
Looks good! Keep going.

Hope to have mine at the track by the end of march.

Ron
number6
QUOTE(Heater Guy @ Feb 24 2010, 01:38 PM) *

Looks good! Keep going.

Hope to have mine at the track by the end of march.

Ron

Ron, that sure is sweet to look at! Will you be starting a thread on your car, with more info and photos?

Scotty, sweet build!
quikshft
First post in this forum guys, this is an interesting thread and build. Seems there should be someone building adapters for the Subaru transaxle so that it can be used with other popular engines.
TwinTurbo914
Still Working on the car, but progress has been extremely slow. My new shop has been crazy busy. Im working like 12-13 hours a day 6 days a week, so there's not a lot of time to work on the car.

But I did find a few hours to work on it last week and my transmission mounts are almost complete, and the engine mounts are well along the way. Hope I can find some time to finish them up soon, its driving me crazy to see the engine in the engine bay but all rigged up with jack stands and everything else.

Ill post some more pics soon of the engine and transmission mounts.
TwinTurbo914
Well finally found some time to put into the car, engine and transmission mounts are mostly done, still have to add some gusseting to them, but the engine is hanging in the engine bay. There is tons of room around the engine, and great ground clearance. Now im getting the money together to buy my turbo's and merge collectors so I can start fabing the exhaust.

Here a few pics of it so far

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
quikshft
QUOTE(TwinTurbo914 @ Mar 4 2010, 11:11 AM) *

Still Working on the car, but progress has been extremely slow. My new shop has been crazy busy. Im working like 12-13 hours a day 6 days a week, so there's not a lot of time to work on the car.

But I did find a few hours to work on it last week and my transmission mounts are almost complete, and the engine mounts are well along the way. Hope I can find some time to finish them up soon, its driving me crazy to see the engine in the engine bay but all rigged up with jack stands and everything else.

Ill post some more pics soon of the engine and transmission mounts.

I love it when you builders chop the trunk out. sawzall-smiley.gif
Zardozz
Now I haven't eaten lunch yet so I might be a bit off but I gotta ask. Looking at the center loop, how do you get that out to pull the engine/trans? I think I see some bolts on the second pic by the towers but I'm having a visualization problem.

Bill
TwinTurbo914
QUOTE(Zardozz @ Mar 23 2010, 02:50 PM) *

Now I haven't eaten lunch yet so I might be a bit off but I gotta ask. Looking at the center loop, how do you get that out to pull the engine/trans? I think I see some bolts on the second pic by the towers but I'm having a visualization problem.

Bill

Yah there is 3 bolts on each side that bolt to the shock towers. 8 Bolts and I can drop the Engine straight out the bottom.
strawman
Great work! Are you solid-mounting the engine/trans, or are using any bushings to reduce vibration?

Geoff
Zardozz
[/quote]
Yah there is 3 bolts on each side that bolt to the shock towers. 8 Bolts and I can drop the Engine straight out the bottom.
[/quote]

I built a baja about 100yrs ago and when I was done welding I couldn't get the engine out. Glad you were thinking ahead.
TwinTurbo914
QUOTE(strawman @ Mar 23 2010, 04:11 PM) *

Great work! Are you solid-mounting the engine/trans, or are using any bushings to reduce vibration?

Geoff

As of right now it is solid mounted but i have the option to add in some rubber pads to isolate it. But it is going to mainly be a race car, so im gonna run it solid mounted for now and see how it goes.
Frost
Man that looks good, that is some nice engine mount fab work.
effutuo101
very nice!
quadracerx
QUOTE(TwinTurbo914 @ Mar 23 2010, 06:12 PM) *

QUOTE(strawman @ Mar 23 2010, 04:11 PM) *

Geoff

As of right now it is solid mounted but i have the option to add in some rubber pads to isolate it. But it is going to mainly be a race car, so im gonna run it solid mounted for now and see how it goes.

What kind of tubing did you use....Mild Steel or Chrome Moly? DOM? Just curious....nice fab work....A buddy of mine started to teach me how to weld last weekend....I always admired people who could do it....and now I have a even greater respect for those with that skill..... smilie_pokal.gif Im actually ok on thicker wall tubing....but sheetmetal is an art form....LOL

Nice work....keep the pictures coming...

Steve

TwinTurbo914
[/quote]

What kind of tubing did you use....Mild Steel or Chrome Moly? DOM? Just curious....nice fab work....A buddy of mine started to teach me how to weld last weekend....I always admired people who could do it....and now I have a even greater respect for those with that skill..... smilie_pokal.gif Im actually ok on thicker wall tubing....but sheetmetal is an art form....LOL

Nice work....keep the pictures coming...

Steve
[/quote]

All the tubing is 1 1/2 .095 wall DOM Mild steel, same as the rollcage.

And on a Side note, I just ordered my turbo housings and should have them soon, along with my turbo merge collectors. So things are starting to really get exciting!!
budman5201
Hey what computer are you using? I just picked up a brand spanking new ez30R with 1k miles!! Will you be able to control the valve lift and cam timing ??
budman5201
QUOTE(charliew @ Sep 12 2009, 09:21 AM) *

I will follow this my son and I are looking at standalones mainly because the drive by wire is a bear to get right with rr. And I like the idea of getting rid of all the excess wires of the oem ecus but at a pretty steep price.

Hey also talk to Outfront motorsports. They eliminate the drive by wire throttle body and use a ford unit which is VERY close to the bolt pattern with a few mods, they said works perfect and that way you dont have to mod your pedal area too for drive by wire,etc.
TwinTurbo914
QUOTE(budman5201 @ Mar 26 2010, 10:30 AM) *

Hey also talk to Outfront motorsports. They eliminate the drive by wire throttle body and use a ford unit which is VERY close to the bolt pattern with a few mods, they said works perfect and that way you dont have to mod your pedal area too for drive by wire,etc.

Im going with the Link setup, they have all the triggers for it, and are the only ones that I know of that can control the variable valve timing and lift, and all under closed loop.
jd74914
QUOTE(TwinTurbo914 @ Mar 29 2010, 11:02 AM) *

Im going with the Link setup, they have all the triggers for it, and are the only ones that I know of that can control the variable valve timing and lift, and all under closed loop.

If you haven't bought anything yet I'd look into the products by Adaptronic. They are slightly less expensive than most other good ECUs on the market and seem to have more features. I know both their e420c and e1280 can control variable valve timing while in closed loop. The e1280 has just about everything but the kitchen sink in it.

I installed, and have been playing with, an e420c on a bike motor and have been extremely happy with the computer, tuning software and overall support. I can't say enough about how impressed I have been with the system.

budman5201
Does anyone have a already completed map for the EZ30R via the Link.. I emailed quite a few people in Naisoc and another Subie site that have used the v44 and v88 (basically a LINK ecu with different badging.) Hopefully i get a response.

It would be so cool to eliminate that time spent on the initial engine startup,computer setup, etc.
DBCooper
There's an Australian shop, one of the Link people's partners over there, who shared an EZ30R map. It was in one of the forums on the Link site, a year or so ago when they first got it running the variable cams. Check with Link, I'm sure they have a copy or more likely their own version by now.
budman5201
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Mar 29 2010, 08:48 PM) *

There's an Australian shop, one of the Link people's partners over there, who shared an EZ30R map. It was in one of the forums on the Link site, a year or so ago when they first got it running the variable cams. Check with Link, I'm sure they have a copy or more likely their own version by now.

found a few wiring diagrams regarding the sensors on the ez30 engine and a pdf of the ez30r sensor that the ez30 doesnt have.
So i guess a little easier for wiring now, but no map yet. it does say that the ez30 map is included in the link software, not sure it that will work for the ez30R. I know they are different.
DBCooper
It's Dave at D-Tech, dave@dtechmotorsport.com, page two of THIS thread.

That's from back in 2007 and Dave did the first map for a customer, but the Link guys were also doing the EZ30R programing themselves back then. They had some problems with the drive by wire throttle body, but I'd assume that's done now. Or just adapt a cable TB. Try contacting them to see where they are.

I'm crazy to know how the EZ30 works for you. That's what I intended to put into my car, but back then there were too many unanswered questions. I even have a 911 sport banana muffler I got so there'd be no clue what was inside until the lid came up.

TwinTurbo914
I talked with Link last year at the sema show, and they said they do have a base map for the ez30r, and they have one of there tuners in socal (cant remember there name right now Ill see if i can find the business card) that has experience with tuning the EZ30r's.

I havent commited to any engine management, as I still quite a ways off from there right now. So im still exploring my options.
budman5201
wow, thankyou guys for that info. I looked forever, but guess I always missed PAGE 2 of all those posts. That darn lettering at the bottom is small and hard to see.

Cool I just threw Dave an email smile.gif
piratenanner.gif
TwinTurbo914
Not much of an update but, I haven't had much time to work on the car, but I did get a few of my other cars sold, so now I have some cash to spend on the car. The turbo's are on order, and should get them by next week. My merge collectors were ordered the other day and should get them next week also. And now im looking for a radiator to start my cooling system. And on a side note im toying with the the idea of fabricating my own custom aluminum intake, its in the planning stages now, so we will see what happens. Ill post some picks when I get some of the parts in.
TwinTurbo914
Well Cliff over at Turbo Power in Cameron Park came thru for me. I finally got my Mock up turbo's today. He set me up with some mock up center sections, and compressor housings, and I bought the exhaust housings. So now I can start to get going on the most integral part of my build. I ordered the inlet flanges, and transitions, and some tubing for my up-pipes from SPD exhaust, and I'll probably just pick up every thing on my way thru Sacramento next week. I'll post some more pics of my headers and turbos as I get them into the car.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
charliew
So you eliminated the wastegate. How does this compare in cost to just buying a nonwastegate exhaust housing? Like a 30r or is all the aftermarket non wastegate housings too big when you are using two? I must have missed it, it sorta looks like a sequential turbo set, man that will be interesting.

Sorry I went back and found the turbo GTK-350's. I guess the compressor housings are just different because they are mockups and they aren't clocked the same.
TwinTurbo914
These were not internal gated housings, and these are aftermarket housings, there made my comp turbo, they just installed v-band flanges on the back of them instead of the standard four bolt, as one's with v-band's were not availible. I wanted small turbine housings, so they would spool really fast, they are only .46 A/R, but there is only 1.5 liters going to each turbo, but they will spool really quick, but each turbo is rated at 350-400 horsepower each, so I have a lot of potential. I'm going to run two 38mm external gates, as they control boost a lot easier than internal gates, and I wont have any boost creep. I was playing with turbo placement last night and im gonna work on making a jig to hold the turbo's in the engine bay this weekend, to I can set the placement of them and build to them. I post some pics after the weekend.
charliew
You might want to make the jig a permanent fixture so the weight won't all be on the exhaust anyway.

This is a number I found a long time ago, it may or may not be good. 1hp=1.45cfm I think this came from a old turbo sizing chart I found. I also would guess the turbo place already knows the cfm requirements of your motor at say 7k so thats what size you have picked.

Boy 350-400 from a 1.5 seems a little steep.
Zardozz
That's what I call turbo porn...

I need a moment.
Andyrew
What size turbo's? Vband flange, Nice!

I see BIG power in your future if they are rated at 350-400ea..

TwinTurbo914
I got the turbo's mocked up in the engine bay this weekend, still have to make the mounting brackets for them to support them. And got one header all fabricated, and tacked together, my dad might go to sacramento today and pick up some more tube and same flanges I need to move forward, ill try and post some more picks tomorrow
ClayPerrine
Now those are some gutless turbos!!! lol-2.gif

Cool progress thread!
TwinTurbo914
As promised here are some pics of the progress, one header is built, just have to final fit it, and weld it up and install a v-band on the outlet for my up pipe, and fit and weld my double slip fittings on the collector tubes. The right side is going to be a mirror image of it, just waiting on some more tube to build it. And the turbo's are hung in the engine bay temporarily, until I make the support brackets to help support there weight, then i'll build my up-pipes to them. Ill post more pics as I make more progress.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

TwinTurbo914
I got a lot of work done on the car this weekend, built my passenger side header, and got both sides all tacked together. And then started on the outlet pipes of the turbo's, got my x-pipe built and just have to fit a few more pieces of tube and the outlets will be done. Just waiting on my flanges, transitions and v-bands for my up-pipes, which I will be getting today. So things are really starting to come together.
TwinTurbo914
Here's a few pics of all the hot side plumbing tacked together, still have to get the wastegates plumbed though. Hopefully I will get everything final fitted and welded up.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.