Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Continuing Work on My 914 EZ30R Twin Turbo Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
TwinTurbo914
Well its still subaru powered, but ive made the swap over to the EZ30R H6 3.0 Subaru motor Read on

Hey Guys I finally got some time and the motivation to start working on my project car again. I started it a few years ago but, got side tracked on a few other project but I have decided to come back to it and finish it.

I all started 3-4 years ago when i got my first subaru wrx and decided i loved the power plant and thought what better way to add a lot of power to a light car. So i started with getting a twin turbo ej20 subaru engine from japan. I also bought the kennedy engineering adapter kit. I worked on the car for awhile, then got busy working on other project and kind of abanoned it. But no im back working on it about 5 nights a week.

But lucky I did take a break from it cause i decided to make to big changes to the car( since i can afford them now. Im going to use the stock subaru trans, with a bremar 2wd kit. Im going to use big brakes all the way around, i have some big reds for the front, and im goin to do the rear also. Car is getting a full cage, and all longs and suspension pickups are going to be plated and reinforced. And i decided to swap over to the single turbo set up for simplicity of tuning, and more maximum power output. ( im eventually swaping in a built 2.5 STI engine)

So i thought id start a thread to show my progress on my car, and will glady answer any questions along the way if anyone is looking to do a similar swap. Seems like the subaru conversion has gained a lot of popularity since i started my project quiet awhile ago.

Started working on it about one and a half weeks ago, and so far got my interior stripped out, and gonna pick up my material for my cage next week. I got my transmission mounts fabricated, and my engine mount fabricated, and now im working on reinforcing the shock tower and such where my engine mount attaches to. Here's some picks of my progress hope you all enjoy

IPB Image
Here the engine sitting in the car

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Transmission mounts, there not done yet still gotta cap all the ends on them and powder coat them and such

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB ImageMy exhasut header and big uppipe

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Engine mount ill show some pics of it installed later its out right now as im tig welding it up right now

IPB Image

IPB Image
My stripped out interior, getting ready to prep it to plate the longs and start my cage

IPB Image
jd74914
Very cool. Keep us posted on your prgress. smile.gif
scotty914
that engine mount design looks like i have seen it before

and on cutting the rear trunk out.... wow

i have thought about upgrading mine to a suby tranny, but first i need to get it back on the road
rick 918-S
QUOTE(scotty914 @ Jun 15 2008, 07:18 PM) *

that engine mount design looks like i have seen it before

and on cutting the rear trunk out.... wow

i have thought about upgrading mine to a suby tranny, but first i need to get it back on the road

SCOTTY! bye1.gif Ya looks kind of like your mount. You were the pioneer. Before the Vegas guys did theirs.

I would sleeve those mount bolts or they will start to crush the tubing and either fall out of shear off. Oh and use grade 8's.
TwinTurbo914
Yah Im going to sleeve and cap everything when im done with them, just wanted to get the rough construction done first. Im gonna powder coat them also.

Worked on the Car a little bit more this weekend, i stripped all the insulation/sound deadening from the floor, and worked on getting the dash out, im gonna soda blast the whole interior of the car, before i start work on my cage, and boxing my longs.

I also started work on mocking up my intercooler setup. I'll post some more pics soon.
rick 918-S
popcorn[1].gif aktion035.gif
kylehall21
Any twin turbo parts that you want to get rid of? I got a jdm motor as well but I'm missing parts .....
TwinTurbo914
QUOTE(kylehall21 @ Jun 27 2008, 09:16 PM) *

Any twin turbo parts that you want to get rid of? I got a jdm motor as well but I'm missing parts .....

Sorry no Parts, they are all long gone. I sold the whole turbo set up, the twin turbo setup is know to have an inherant dead spot when the second turbo comes in at about 3500rpm. Swap over to a single turbo, much easier for future tuning (like a larger turbo) and easier engine packaging clearance wise. Let me know if you need any parts for a single turbo system i got some stuff laying around.

I have been hard at work on my car, i got the whole interior stripped out, and all the floor insulation pulled up. And i got a chassis strenghtening kit, and i punched all the holes in the pieces good thing i had a sheet metal hole puncher ( I hate drilling holes LOL). So this week im gonna soda blast the complete interior of the car to have it all nice and clean and to bare metal for when i make all the plating for the longs. And im gonna soda blast my inner fender wells and my engine compartment. Ill get some new pics up in the next day or so of my progress so far
TwinTurbo914
Well i have not given any updates lately as things have just been crazy lately, work has been very busy and i moved into a new house, but i have been working on the car off and on as i get time. I have basically all the plating made up for the interior of the car for the longs, so i just have to soda blast the interior and drill all the holes in my plating and weld everything in, then i can move on to the next part of the project.

I have made a Major decision to change the power plant Slightly on my project. Im Gonna sell the subie 4 cyl, and im gonna buy a EZ30R subie Six Cylinder. They are a 3.0 flat six, and its only 1.5" longer than the subie four, plus they have variable valve timing and variable valve lift and there 250HP stock N/A. So More Cubes, and more of that porsche sound. Oh and its still gonna be turbo charged possibly twin turbo. biggrin.gif. Ill update soon with some pics, as everything has calmed down and im able to work on the car a few nights a week now.

Stay tuned more to come
ONTHEGRIND
QUOTE(TwinTurbo914 @ Jan 8 2009, 08:48 AM) *

Well i have not given any updates lately as things have just been crazy lately, work has been very busy and i moved into a new house, but i have been working on the car off and on as i get time. I have basically all the plating made up for the interior of the car for the longs, so i just have to soda blast the interior and drill all the holes in my plating and weld everything in, then i can move on to the next part of the project.

I have made a Major decision to change the power plant Slightly on my project. Im Gonna sell the subie 4 cyl, and im gonna buy a EZ30R subie Six Cylinder. They are a 3.0 flat six, and its only 1.5" longer than the subie four, plus they have variable valve timing and variable valve lift and there 250HP stock N/A. So More Cubes, and more of that porsche sound. Oh and its still gonna be turbo charged possibly twin turbo. biggrin.gif. Ill update soon with some pics, as everything has calmed down and im able to work on the car a few nights a week now.

Stay tuned more to come

LOOKIN GOOD.. I just did a top end for a Subie, I dream a a 4 valve turbo aircooled 914..

IPB Image
EVILGENIUS13
QUOTE(ONTHEGRIND @ Jan 8 2009, 09:33 AM) *

QUOTE(TwinTurbo914 @ Jan 8 2009, 08:48 AM) *

Stay tuned more to come

LOOKIN GOOD.. I just did a top end for a Subie, I dream a a 4 valve turbo aircooled 914..

IPB Image

Some guys in australia have put subie heads on type 1 and type 4's. The bore centers are the same.
TwinTurbo914
Well I worked on cleaning up in the shop a little this weekend, my dad is not exactly the tidiest of workers, haha. But anyways I was able to clear enough space to get the car outside so i could soda blast the interior and part of the engine compartment. I was such a gorgeous day, almost 60 degrees and sunny. Now I can get all my boxing welded onto the rails. Ill update tomorrow with some pics.
TwinTurbo914
Well i have Been working away at the car when ever i get a chance. And i have made the final decision that im Gonna change over to the subaru 3.0 Six so if any one is looking for a Good EJ20 Subie engine, i have one along with a good stainless header and uppipe. I also have a kennedy adapter and clutch for the 914 transaxle, as im using the subie trans. Lemme know if anyone is interested.

Heres a few pics of the Interior and engine compartment. I got most of the interior blasted and some of the engine compartment done. I'll probably do more this weekend. I just gonna finish removing some of the seam sealer.
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Last night I got my girl friend Erin in the shop with me, she wanted to learn how to weld, she's been bugging me since the sema show when she got to try a demo welder at the Lincoln booth. So hopefully she gets hooked and will want to help me on my projects, lol.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Here's a Pic of the hell hole area, it looks really good very few spots that had rusted thru

IPB Image

This week ill finish stripping the seam sealer, and then work on prepping the plating i made for the longs, and drill all the holes in them, and them get them welded in. Them ill work on making the pieces to box in the rails in the engine compartment. Stay tuned more to come

quadracerx
[b]DUDE....your like liv'in the dream...LOL biggrin.gif Hot girlfriend who wants to learn to weld and help with your projects....Keep her at all costs....Just curious on a couple things...keeping the Subaru trans from the six? Love to know how your gonna adapt that to the suspension....2nd not that I could afford it but what is the Subaru EJ worth?

Thanks...and keep up the great work...

Steve
charliew
Put the suby in that Izetta? isetta?
turnaround89
Nice work. Very cool, wish my hell hole looked like that, mine was way worse.

Can ask why your able to cut out the area in the trunk? I understand that it will help with engine fitting, but doesn't that part of the trunk add some structure to the car, or maybe it doesn't add any?

Chris Pincetich
Yes, that trunk section braces between shock towers...something besides the horzontal sheetmetal should be there to avoid flex.

Dude - where in NorCal are you at? My 914 is in a garage in El Cerrito and I currently reside in Woodacre - both near SF Bay. My daily driver is a Subaru, and if I ever get in a wreck, guess where that motor is going?

I love watching projects like this! Keep it up! beerchug.gif
TwinTurbo914
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Jan 13 2009, 07:34 PM) *

[b]DUDE....your like liv'in the dream...LOL biggrin.gif Hot girlfriend who wants to learn to weld and help with your projects....Keep her at all costs....Just curious on a couple things...keeping the Subaru trans from the six? Love to know how your gonna adapt that to the suspension....2nd not that I could afford it but what is the Subaru EJ worth

Thanks...and keep up the great work...

Steve

Yah she is Definatly a Keeper, she has been putting up with me for over three years now. She will help me when ever i need help as long as I ask nicely. Haha.

Yes im keeping the subaru Trans when i transfer over to the Six, i already have the Transaxle mount fabricated, i just have to finish them up ( sleave the bolt hole and box the ends). Further up in the thread i have some pics of them. The only major thing is i have to either have custom axle's made or some adapter flanges made to go from the subaru stub axle to the 914 axle.

I would like to get about $800 for the engine, i have all the acessories and brackets for it. I also have the turbo header and turbo up pipe for it i would like about $400 for them. And i even have a Kennedy adapter and clutch kit to go from the Subie engine to the 901 transaxle, i gotta check what i paid for it. I only bolted it up once, then changed to the subie trans. But I will take less then I paid for it of course.

QUOTE(charliew @ Jan 13 2009, 07:46 PM) *

Put the suby in that Izetta

Not quite enough room in the Isetta to do a Subie Swap:D, that one is my dad's project, he's doing a full resto on it.
TwinTurbo914
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Jan 13 2009, 08:02 PM) *

Nice work. Very cool, wish my hell hole looked like that, mine was way worse.

Can ask why your able to cut out the area in the trunk? I understand that it will help with engine fitting, but doesn't that part of the trunk add some structure to the car, or maybe it doesn't add any?

Well I cut the trunk for a couple of reasons, One it made it alot eaiser to fit the engine. But it would kit no problem with the trunk wall, it would just need to be notched a little for the turbo on the passenger side. and two the car is gonna get a full cage with full trunk bracing and a the cage will completely tie the shock towers together. More on that to come, once i get longs plated and the engine compartment frame rails plated.

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jan 13 2009, 08:13 PM) *

Yes, that trunk section braces between shock towers...something besides the horzontal sheetmetal should be there to avoid flex.

Dude - where in NorCal are you at? My 914 is in a garage in El Cerrito and I currently reside in Woodacre - both near SF Bay. My daily driver is a Subaru, and if I ever get in a wreck, guess where that motor is going?

I love watching projects like this! Keep it up! beerchug.gif

I live Near Lake Camanche in a small town called Valley Springs. Im about 20 miles East of Lodi if you know where that is
charliew
Do you know about the suby to bus adapters from porscharu? There are some people getting together another order for them. They get a price break on ten sets or more. I have them and they are very nice. The bus is a larger diameter cv. I am going with 911 axle stubs and they are the same size as the bus cvs so it will be bus on both ends but you can use 914 on the outer by adding a thin washer type spacer from what I remember, the 914 cv is thinner. Paint fumes cloud my memory a little. I am glad you are going to a suby six, I really like the six sound better especially if it's spinning about 7k and there is all that wasted space in front of the four. Seems like I remember the 6 hangs down a lot more than the 4 though. I made a 8qt pan with parts from kennedy and used some swinging gates from a speedway sbc cheater kit for my suby 4 and it's only about 4.5 deep. I also modified the stainless header to be the same depth for the ground clearance. The six is a lot different though.
TwinTurbo914
QUOTE(charliew @ Jan 14 2009, 10:36 AM) *

Do you know about the suby to bus adapters from porscharu? There are some people getting together another order for them. They get a price break on ten sets or more. I have them and they are very nice. The bus is a larger diameter cv. I am going with 911 axle stubs and they are the same size as the bus cvs so it will be bus on both ends but you can use 914 on the outer by adding a thin washer type spacer from what I remember, the 914 cv is thinner. Paint fumes cloud my memory a little. I am glad you are going to a suby six, I really like the six sound better especially if it's spinning about 7k and there is all that wasted space in front of the four. Seems like I remember the 6 hangs down a lot more than the 4 though. I made a 8qt pan with parts from kennedy and used some swinging gates from a speedway sbc cheater kit for my suby 4 and it's only about 4.5 deep. I also modified the stainless header to be the same depth for the ground clearance. The six is a lot different though.

Do you have a list of people that are getting together i contacted Porscharu about six months ago and expressed my interest and told him to let me know if there was gonna be another order but i have not heard anything since. And info your be awsome
TwinTurbo914
Im making good progress on the interior reinforcement, should be all welded up by this weekend. Ill post some pics next week after i get it all welded up.

I also have some subaru conversion parts forsale in the classified section heres a link http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=91956

I also just got a new 914, its a 914-6 Race Car with full flares and no targa bar. It's pretty wild looking, it's multi color. I think its a 2.7 with mechanical injection. Ill post some pics of it soon
cymaster007
What do you have planned for your radiator/cooling set up?
jd74914
QUOTE(TwinTurbo914 @ Jan 22 2009, 07:40 PM) *

Im making good progress on the interior reinforcement, should be all welded up by this weekend. Ill post some pics next week after i get it all welded up.

I also just got a new 914, its a 914-6 Race Car with full flares and no targa bar. It's pretty wild looking, it's multi color. I think its a 2.7 with mechanical injection. Ill post some pics of it soon

I can't wait to see the pics. smile.gif
TwinTurbo914
QUOTE(cymaster007 @ Jan 22 2009, 06:43 PM) *

What do you have planned for your radiator/cooling set up?

Im Going to Run a front mounted Radiator, that im going to mount up in front between the headlights, and run hard lines back to the engine compartment. But i have not made up my mind yet on where im gonna run the coolant line, I have a few idea's but nothing is set in stone yet.
TwinTurbo914
Well Im still plugging away at the car, the interior bracing is basically done, other than being welded up, well and other than the roll cage, but thats a whole other phase of the project. And now im working on the bracing that goes on the engine compartment rails. I already have the GT style kit that attaches to the rails in the rear fender wells, i just have to strip the under coating and weld them in. So ill be doing that as soon as i finish up in the engine compartment, which hopefully should be sometime in the next week.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
TwinTurbo914
Hey everyone sorry for no updates, but I haven't been able to work on my car in awhile. I had a wonderful opportunity come along to open up a second location of my business and I had to jump at it. But needless to say work on my car has suffered. I've been working 70-80 hours a week and 7 days a week. So juggling work and trying to spend what little time I get with my girlfriend. Thank goodness she is very understanding biggrin.gif.

But the brunt of the work of setting up the shop is almost done and things will get back to normal soon enough. And as soon as I get my taxes back ill be buying the EZ30R Subie Six im putting in the car, so ill be sure to get some pics of that up soon.

Stay Tuned There will be More to come soon.

-Donny
MZM
Happy for you that you have a growing business these days! Still, got any updates? Where are you sourcing the EZ30? Why not the EZ36?

Mike M
Zaney
I vote for an EZ36 too! I believe they are roughly the same size but, with more juice! Plus, I have heard of Crawford perfomance working on turbo bits for the EZ36 as well. driving.gif
TwinTurbo914
From the research i've done the ez36 has offset rods on them and currently no one is making an aftermarket rods for it which they make for the ez30r. Which im gonna need since i dont plan on driving the car easy.

QUOTE(Zaney @ Apr 6 2009, 09:08 AM) *

I vote for an EZ36 too! I believe they are roughly the same size but, with more juice! Plus, I have heard of Crawford perfomance working on turbo bits for the EZ36 as well. driving.gif

charliew
If I where you I would check on the axle adapters.
TwinTurbo914
Finally got to work on the car a little bit this weekend, did some more welding on my chassis boxing plates. And got most of what was left of the rear floor cut out. I also found a radiator at the pomona swapmeet the other weekend, its nice and short so i can have it sit straight up in between the headlights, plus it already had a custom aluminum shroud on it with two fans, it fits almost perfect. Ill post some new pics soon. Things have been starting to get back to normal, not working quite as much now as the new shop has gotten busy enough to hire some help now, but i am still working 6 days a week.

But i promise a new update with pics will be soon
TwinTurbo914
Sorry for being so slow on updating on the progress, but my new shop has been taking up most of my time, im working like 12-14 hours a day six days a week, so i only have a few hour a week on sunday to work on the car. But i cant complain to much as i took a huge risk of opening up a new business in one of the worst economies ever, and well so far business is great and has exceeded my expectations. Anyways back to the car, I order the axle adapters from porcharu and ill hopefully be getting my engine in the next month or so. My source has a container coming in in about 3 weeks. So thats when the fun will really start.

So stay tuned more to come
TwinTurbo914
Well i have been making some progress on the car, last night i have up some mounts, to attach the body to my rotisserie so I have finish up some of my welding and clean everything up underneath of the car.

I should have my engine by the end of the month. And I found a set of exhaust flanges, Outfront motorsports had them in stock, they normally carry them in mild steel but they have an extra set of stainless steel in stock that they had done, both flanges shipped to my door were $59, and there 1/2" thick, i though they were a bargain. I have my exhaust kit on order, which is a set of assorted u-bends, and 90's and such so i can start fabing up my headers, But i have to get my collectors on order , and im gonna buy one turbo for now so i can fab everything(icant afford to buy both of them now. They are pretty pricey, they are the turbonetics GTK-350 ceramic ball bearing turbos. Ill post some pics of my flanges and the car on the rotisserie in the next day or so.

Im making decent progress, and should get a bunch done over the next two weeks, the girlfriend is on vacation for two weeks, so I wont get yelled at to spend time with her instead of working on my car biggrin.gif
gopack
soOOOO very cool! keep it up and you may inspire others! then you will have the burden of being a role model!
RiqueMar
Haha, weird. We are both 914 owners. We both live in CA. We both have GF's named Erin. They both kinda help with the cars.
biggrin.gif
TwinTurbo914
Both of our car are orange also LOL

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jul 13 2009, 03:15 PM) *

Haha, weird. We are both 914 owners. We both live in CA. We both have GF's named Erin. They both kinda help with the cars.
biggrin.gif

ghuff
This should turn out to be a lot of fun. Sheetmetal work looks good so far, the welds look good.
TwinTurbo914
Well here as promised, a little late the never are a few pictures.

Here is my new custom front and rear push bumpers, haha just kidding it's the mounts I made to go to my rotisserie
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Heres a few more shot on my sheetmetal work of my chassis strenghtening and I just started installing my GT Kit, the rotisserie will be nice for finishing that. I finally got my dad's Isetta off of it, so my car should be on it in the next new days

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

These are my new header flanges I just got the other day from outfront motorsports, there 1/2" thick and stainless biggrin.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
TwinTurbo914
Well im slowly making progress, here a few pics from a few weeks ago, i have got a few more things done since. Like made a few new pieces of my reinforcements, and this weekend i did a little sand blasting in the engine compartment to get rid of the rust. Im making progress slowly, but surely. Engine should be here in another couple of weeks, ill post some more pics soon.

Got it up on the rotisserie a couple of weeks ago, much easier to work on now, and made it way easier when i did some sandblasting this weekend

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
charliew
Boy you trust the tranny crossmember way more than I would have for the rear support on the rotisserie course with the floor cut out the back panel hasn't got much left for support either..
TwinTurbo914
QUOTE(charliew @ Aug 12 2009, 10:16 PM) *

Boy you trust the tranny crossmember way more than I would have for the rear support on the rotisserie course with the floor cut out the back panel hasn't got much left for support either..

It's really solid with all the reinforcements i have done to the chassis, i wouldn't have done it that way to a stocker.

Little update on my car, worked on it all day yesterday, did some more sheet metal work on the outer rear frame rails, got quite a few pieces made, so im almost done with that, which is great be cause im getting bored with that, but i should be getting my ez30r hopefully this coming weekend. Im taking my GF to magic mountain for her birthday, and will pick up the engine if they are in stock, gruppe-s just happens to only be an hour drive from magic mountain, but hey she wanted to go to magic mountain, so it worked out great. So hopefully I should have some picks of the engine next week. (keeping my fingers crossed). And well if they dont get the engine till next week, well i guess all the hotels are gonna be sold out and we have to delay the trip another week biggrin.gif
Numbchux
very cool! what do you plan to run for management? stock ECU won't work in a porsche due to immobilizer issues, so you'll be running a standalone of some sort. I know Hydra can run the EZ30DR, but the AVCS and AVLS control is open loop. the new Link can control them all with closed-loop mapping, but that setup is extremely expensive.

I bought an EZ30DR shortblock about a month ago.....haven't decided what to do with it. putting it in a 914 has crossed my mind....
IPB Image
TwinTurbo914
QUOTE(Numbchux @ Sep 3 2009, 10:19 PM) *

very cool! what do you plan to run for management? stock ECU won't work in a porsche due to immobilizer issues, so you'll be running a standalone of some sort. I know Hydra can run the EZ30DR, but the AVCS and AVLS control is open loop. the new Link can control them all with closed-loop mapping, but that setup is extremely expensive.

I bought an EZ30DR shortblock about a month ago.....haven't decided what to do with it. putting it in a 914 has crossed my mind....
IPB Image

You posted your engine as ez30dr, there is actually two different engines the 01-04 engine which has no variable valve lift or variable cam timing, and its called the ez30d they also only have one exhaust port per head. The engine im using is the ez30r which has the cam lift and valve timing, and three exhaust ports on each head. The ez30r was made from 05-07, then they changed to the ez36r which isnt any good for performance because of the offset connecting rods.

Both of the ez30's are awsome engines with tons of performance potential, outfront motorsports builds them for dune buggys and has made over 1100 HP with a stock block with a closed deck, and a stock crankshaft. Cant wait to get mine going.

Im looking into the link its not that much more expensive then the hydra. But i have quite awhile before i have to worry about Engine management.

But have been making progress on the car just nothing to exciting to show any pics of

budman5201
QUOTE(Numbchux @ Sep 3 2009, 11:19 PM) *

IPB Image

NOPE I can get you a Link for $1100 shipped to you. For an awesome stand alone thats great!
TwinTurbo914
NOPE I can get you a Link for $1100 shipped to you. For an awesome stand alone thats great!
[/quote]

That may be for the four cylinder, but i thought it was around $2100 for the G4 for the ez30 but it been awhile since I checked but i may be wrong
DBCooper
I think the base G4 box only has four ignition drivers, but that just means you'd run it with wasted spark for six and eight cylinder motors.

I haven't looked at the Link in a while either, but it may be time for another one.
TwinTurbo914
Haven't done a ton of research on the G4 but I know there is a few guys running the ez30r's in some subie's with the variable valve lift and cam timing working under closed loop. But dont know about the ignition drivers. But the link is probably what im going to run.
budman5201
[quote name='TwinTurbo914' date='Sep 4 2009, 02:07 PM' post='1210985']
[/quote]

That may be for the four cylinder, but i thought it was around $2100 for the G4 for the ez30 but it been awhile since I checked but i may be wrong
[/quote]

Yep your exactly correct. The $1100 price is for the G4 Link Storm ECU ( what i am running) it is sequential up to 4 cylinders then you have to run either batch or waster spark for 6-8 cylinders (1 mpg difference and power almost the same.I have had both computers) I believe the STORM also has cam control capabilities. it lists this under features on the Linkecu website

-Precision closed loop cam control (four cam, independent control)

The G4 Link EXTREME has up to 8 cylinders sequential possibilities and GOBBBS of other functions. (youll prob never use) But it runs $1600 (My Price.)

Check out their website linkecu.com it lists almost anything you want to know about those computers. I love them!

Numbchux
QUOTE(TwinTurbo914 @ Sep 4 2009, 11:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Numbchux @ Sep 3 2009, 10:19 PM) *

IPB Image

You posted your engine as ez30dr, there is actually two different engines the 01-04 engine which has no variable valve lift or variable cam timing, and its called the ez30d they also only have one exhaust port per head. The engine im using is the ez30r which has the cam lift and valve timing, and three exhaust ports on each head. The ez30r was made from 05-07, then they changed to the ez36r which isnt any good for performance because of the offset connecting rods.

Both of the ez30's are awsome engines with tons of performance potential, outfront motorsports builds them for dune buggys and has made over 1100 HP with a stock block with a closed deck, and a stock crankshaft. Cant wait to get mine going.

Im looking into the link its not that much more expensive then the hydra. But i have quite awhile before i have to worry about Engine management.

But have been making progress on the car just nothing to exciting to show any pics of

common mistake, the actual engine code is EZ30DR. the '05+ one with AVCS and AVLS is the DR. the motor I have came out of an '05 Tribeca. the 3.6 is a DR as well, but it has AVCS on both intake and exhaust cams. too bad about those rods though.

anyway, sweet project. I have worked with a few Links on various swaps, and have an older one (v4 Link 1) that I plan to use on my supercharged EJ22e (which might find it's way into a 914....). I would highly recommend going that route.

budman, are you a Link dealer? I need a ComLink for my ECU....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.