Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilding door panels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
My '75 door panels are in crappy shape, and include an ugly speaker cutout by the PO. I decided to make new ones.

Unfortunately the panels are the later model style and don't have the metal top that runs across the top. It has the 'formed' particle board (damn bean counters at Porsche) which is in horrible shape and can't be reused. Is there a source for the early metal part? What have others done? I don't really want to spend $150-300 for a new door panel when the price of materials to make both panels cost less than $30.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 18 2008, 12:58 PM) *

My '75 door panels are in crappy shape, and include an ugly speaker cutout by the PO. I decided to make new ones.

Unfortunately the panels are the later model style and don't have the metal top that runs across the top. It has the 'formed' particle board (damn bean counters at Porsche) which is in horrible shape and can't be reused. Is there a source for the early metal part? What have others done? I don't really want to spend $150-300 for a new door panel when the price of materials to make both panels cost less than $30.

Find someone with an early parts car?

The other issue that you will have is stapling the vinyl to the panel. I'm working on new panels for my car, and I'm trying to decide if I should just glue the vinyl... can't seem to find 1/8" staples, or a stapler that will shoot them.
ericread
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 18 2008, 01:58 PM) *

Are you asking a question or are you going to be demonstrating the building of these panels? I'm really looking forward to seeing your work either way.

Eric bye1.gif
rjames
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 18 2008, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 18 2008, 01:58 PM) *

Are you asking a question or are you going to be demonstrating the building of these panels? I'm really looking forward to seeing your work either way.

Eric bye1.gif

I'm trolling for others who have been in the same situation as me: Without an early door panel to scavenge the metal part, or without a good late core to repair.

I will try posting a WTB add in the classifides to see if I can get the metal strip that runs atop the early door panel. In the meantime I'll ponder coming up with an alternative to the later design. If they turn out halfway decent I'll post photos. smile.gif

BTW, there are already some great threads on this, IF you have a good core or the metal strip.

Door panel 1

Door panels 2
TravisNeff
I was able to get my late model door panels to work, place a damp/wet towel over them and hit it with an iron as in Johannes' thread. carpenters glue and 1/8" masonite will patch most rough parts.
rjames
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 18 2008, 04:11 PM) *

I was able to get my late model door panels to work, place a damp/wet towel over them and hit it with an iron as in Johannes' thread. carpenters glue and 1/8" masonite will patch most rough parts.

Mine are not reusable.
For one thing they have a big speaker hole cut out in them (see first post).
For another, the curved formed part at the top of the panel in horrible shape and can't be saved (see first post again). chair.gif
I've always wanted a reason to use that smiley! biggrin.gif
TravisNeff
lol, I read it. I broke a corner off of my door panel and was able to repair it. Where there is a will there is a way, well sometimes biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
If you say only have $30 to spend on door panels, best bet is to find a set of the early ones that are trashed for cheap or maybe even free just for the metal tops.

That way you can buy board and just trace/cut/staple/done.
rjames
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jun 18 2008, 05:01 PM) *

If you say only have $30 to spend on door panels, best bet is to find a set of the early ones that are trashed for cheap or maybe even free just for the metal tops.

That way you can buy board and just trace/cut/staple/done.

biggrin.gif I feel like I should start this thread over. biggrin.gif Either that or maybe it means that no one has done anything different than how the factory built them.

I have already started building new panels. I have the new ones cut out (with extra room at the top because I haven't figured out how to I'm going to do the tops yet, hence this thread). I bought new backing foam and new vinyl. It's all set and ready to be assembled. All materials cost less than $30 and I didn't want to spend a bunch of cash for old panels when all I need is the metal part.

However, finding early panels might be the only option. I was thinking that somebody may have figured out another way to build the panels without the metal part. I now have a WTB in the classifieds for the metal strip, but I am still thinking about other ways I could get this done (and still have it look good! smile.gif ).

BTW, what years cars had the metal strip? '74 and earlier?
TravisNeff
My 73 had the all wood panels, Haven't checked my 72.
rjames
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 18 2008, 05:46 PM) *

My 73 had the all wood panels, Haven't checked my 72.

Crap. That means those things are fairly rare.... headbang.gif
chris914
I made my own using the tops of my old ones.

http://www.cassidy-online.com/porsche914/p.../door_panel.jpg
SirAndy
Dr. Evil used to sell brand new door panel boards. i still have a set sitting in my closet that has yet to be used ...

shades.gif Andy
r_towle
show a picture of the top piece...
bare picture with no covering.

Rich
markb
I have a few misc panels from early cars. I'll check the next time I get out to them. Might be a week or so.
736conver
he other issue that you will have is stapling the vinyl to the panel. I'm working on new panels for my car, and I'm trying to decide if I should just glue the vinyl... can't seem to find 1/8" staples, or a stapler that will shoot them.

1/8 staples are almost too big. 5/32 work good.
If anybody wants to use my stapler, I have 5/32 staples and the gun to shoot them. I will let any one use it with a refundable charge. Just in case the gun doesnt return. The gun wasnt cheap. I should also add the gun is pnuematic. If you dont have a compressor it aint gonna work

The staples and gun serve me well when I redid my door panels. Also worked good when I reskined my seat for my mtn bike.

Shoot me a PM if anyone is interested. First come first serve.
smontanaro
QUOTE(736conver @ Jun 19 2008, 01:24 AM) *
1/8 staples are almost too big. 5/32 work good.

You mean 3/32? If 1/8 is almost too big, then 5/32 is going to be even closer to too big.

Skip
736conver
You mean 3/32? If 1/8 is almost too big, then 5/32 is going to be even closer to too big.

My bad, pretty late when I responded last night. 5/32 is the right size that I have and what I used. 1/8 should also work might not go in enough not sure.
Regardless I still have the gun and staples if someone wants to borrow it.
rjames
Dr. Evil used to sell brand new door panel boards. i still have a set sitting in my closet that has yet to be used ...

Andy

If it looks like the picture below, I have already made my own. What I need is the top metal part found on the early door panels.

Click to view attachment

Rich

I can get a photo, but picture a later model that has the 'formed' partical board piece instead of the metal strip. Now picture that formed section with a couple of 3-4" chunks missing. That's pretty much what I have now.

I made my own using the tops of my old ones.

http://www.cassidy-online.com/porsche914/p.../door_panel.jpg

Chris914, looks great! smilie_pokal.gif If my tops were salvagable, I'd go that route too.

I have a few misc panels from early cars. I'll check the next time I get out to them. Might be a week or so.

markb, I appreciate it. I look forward to hearing back from you when you get a chance.
beer.gif
r_towle
show a picture of the bare part, I am sure I could make it for you.

Rich
rjames

Rich

Here ya go Rich.
Taken with my crappy cell phone because I was too lazy to get the real camera...

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Slider
still looking for the metal tops? i have a set available from my 72 if i remember right they are in great shape..

rjames
QUOTE(Slider @ Jun 20 2008, 09:40 PM) *

still looking for the metal tops? i have a set available from my 72 if i remember right they are in great shape..

Yup! PM sent.

r_towle
If you get stuck, I am sure I could fire out a couple on my shaper...they would be wood...

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.