Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VW Type 1 into 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Jake Raby
The TI would certainly only be a viable solution in a 914 for very limited street use.. 5th gear in a 914 with a TIV and it's 26% greater cooling surface area is a bitch, a TI in a 914 with a stock ZD 5th would be murder on head temps

The T1 I have in my tube frame Speedster eventually needed two external 10 x12 coolers with fans in addition to the stock cooler in the doghouse and an intercooler.

NOW, it sees 200F on the highway doing 85mph and 190F at idle and cruisng down Main Street.

remember:
OIL temp is not engine temp!! The two are hardly related and it is possible to kill an engine due to a head/valve related failure and never get the oil past 180F..

Cooling the oil does not and will not cool the heads.
DBCooper
QUOTE(! @ Jul 6 2008, 09:04 AM) *

Yeah, but geez that heat issue can be a bitch. The T1 I have in my tube frame Speedster eventually needed two external 10 x12 coolers with fans in addition to the stock cooler in the doghouse and an intercooler.

Jeez Mike, with that many radiators you may as well have put in... stirthepot.gif a Subaru....

[to all you concours wonks that was a JOKE. I would NEVER seriously suggest that he soil his outlaw Speedster with anything non-Wolfsburg... poke.gif ]
RJMII
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 6 2008, 01:12 AM) *

The DTM does a very good job coupled to LN ENgineering Nickies. This is the 80X100 engine in the RAT lab. This engine is now in Saudi Arabia, in a 912E, believe it or not.

I'll only build a Turbo engine, either TI or TIV using Nickies. Its really easy to thermally overload an engine with boost and cast iron cylinders.

The first key is building an engine efficient enough not to generate a ton of heat and then to use components that can get the heat it does generate into the cooling air stream as fast as possible.

Without cooling capability, no cooling system can be effective.

So is the turbo itself just kept cool with oil temperature regulation and low EGT from being efficient in the first place?
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 6 2008, 09:27 AM) *

The TI would certainly only be a viable solution in a 914 for very limited street use.. 5th gear in a 914 with a TIV and it's 26% greater cooling surface area is a bitch, a TI in a 914 with a stock ZD 5th would be murder on head temps

The T1 I have in my tube frame Speedster eventually needed two external 10 x12 coolers with fans in addition to the stock cooler in the doghouse and an intercooler.

NOW, it sees 200F on the highway doing 85mph and 190F at idle and cruisng down Main Street.

remember:
OIL temp is not engine temp!! The two are hardly related and it is possible to kill an engine due to a head/valve related failure and never get the oil past 180F..

Cooling the oil does not and will not cool the heads.

Y E S, Jake....I know that....but still a good point for those that don't. poke.gif

I have an EGT, head temp, oil pressure/temp and a few other gauges that give me readings....my head temps always ran cool....325F across the board...I run an aviation type coupler that allows me to switch and read all four holes on one gauge. My EGT runs 800F-1000 depending if I'm under boost or not.

I limit it to one bar even though I can crank it up if I wanted to. The biggest issue is keeping the charge side sealed. I keep a water and Dawn soap solution ready to spritz the charge pipes at the unions looking for leaks and at the hats of the ITBs....the heads have been keeping sealed as they were prepped to take boost.

As to the coolers....I just needed another one to balance out the op temps at the temp I have set on the thermostat. It seems to like it now......

Funny how it gets more looks on the road than high digit REAL rides in this town....I can be in traffic and a Ferrari ahead of me and a XKE Jag beside me and "I" get the thumbs up or the click from the camera phone....wierd....dunno, might be my foil helmet.....
james2
Nickies.? Think that would do Jake?
Jake Raby
QUOTE(james2 @ Jul 6 2008, 07:20 PM) *

Nickies.? Think that would do Jake?

It would help as the thermal conductivity is 4X greater than cast iron...

I'll have a used set of 95mm TI Nickies ith custom JE pistons and Porsche rings coming from a test engine soon...
james2
Ah!, experienced parts. My favorite!

2382?
Jake Raby
Yep.. BUT the guys at Beck might buy the whole engine.. You have first dibs if they don't buy it as is :-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.