Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mid west get together
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
scoobykvn
Is there any interest in a get together for the mid west guys (ohio/indiana/etc.)? I am somewhat new to the 914 scene and was trying to help setup a get together to meet some people to get advice and see some sweet cars. If anyone is interested voice your opinion on time and location here. I would suggest october sometime since my car should be drivable in about 3 weeks.
rick 918-S
Why not try to make this event? assimilate.gif bye1.gif http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=82072
scoobykvn
I did look into that and would love to make it, but it is about 7 hours away for me and I would prefer not to drive that far, especially shortly after I finish my car.
rick 918-S
Wimp, biggrin.gif It's about 24 hrs for me. aktion035.gif driving.gif Well, and I don't have an engine yet sad.gif and I don't think the wife signed up yet dry.gif But you never know where the Alien with land. assimilate.gif shades.gif

BTW: welcome.png
Steve Thacker
Ya that is a long drive /stretch for me also. Especially since I'm having a itty bitty electrical issue hampering my power band or lack there of. Otherwise I would have no issue driving that far.
Steve Thacker
QUOTE(scoobykvn @ Aug 25 2008, 04:31 PM) *

Is there any interest in a get together for the mid west guys (ohio/indiana/etc.)? I am somewhat new to the 914 scene and was trying to help setup a get together to meet some people to get advice and see some sweet cars. If anyone is interested voice your opinion on time and location here. I would suggest october sometime since my car should be drivable in about 3 weeks.

Hey I would be interested, to try and get a informal get together here. Maybe on a regular basis to exchange ideas and to assist each other in builds, fixes, etc. Just like they do in the Cali area

I'm here in the Pickerington area.
scoobykvn
I would be up for a meet on a semi regular basis. Anybody else in the central ohio area interested? We should figure out where is the easiest place for everyone to meet.
tornik550
I would be interested. I may not show up with my teener since I am still sorting out some issues. I live in New California (just outside Dublin).
GeorgeRud
The SMOG group seemed to have a nice meeting a couple of years ago just west of Detroit, so there certainly is a group of enthusiasts in the midwestern states.

Indiana would be a nice compromise, and the covered bridge area is pretty in the fall. With no AC, the idea of long drives in the humid midwestern summers doesn't appeal to me as much now as it did 25 years ago when my wife and I went to the Ozarks for the Porsche Parade at the Tantara Resort. 115 degrees at the autocross course one day!

We drove home to Chicago with a case of wine from a local winery on the floor in front of her, and thought nothing of it in those days.

scoobykvn
So where do you guys think we should meet in columbus for the semi regular meets. Should we just find a parking lot somewhere? Somebody want to offer there home? There is a big park with a parking lot right by my house in German Village. Or we could meet at a Sonic drive-in down in grove city. Let me know what you guys think.
John
If you made it into a Drivers Education event at Mid-Ohio, I would be there.
g911
You talking Berliner Park, Schiller Park or Goodale Park? Thurmans or Planks would be better beerchug.gif
mack914-6
For all you guys in the Columbus area. 7th Annual All German Car Show to be held on sunday Sept 14. For more info Email is GermanCarShow@columbus.rr.com I believe at least two 914 will make the trip from Toledo. beerchug.gif
GaroldShaffer
The last two years my wife and I held a little some what organized 914 get together at our place in Indiana in late August. We can't do it this year for vairous reasons, but will again in 2009. Now that I have shop space, been thinking about having a little cook out there in the fall yet this year. Nothing fancy, just chowtime.gif beer3.gif and a lot of bench racing / BS sessions. I just wish we had better 914 roads around here. Everything is flat and straight dry.gif

I miss the SMOG and Fall Foilage events from the past.
scoobykvn
I was talking about schiller park, but any of them will work. Thurmans would be a great place to go, just takes forever with too many people.
Travisfling
Hey all,

I'm about to pick up my new to me 914 tomorrow, and if I can get it running by then I would love to come meet up. I'll be coming from London, just west of Columbus. Should be good times. Let me know when and where and I'll try to get her together.
jfort
I'll come from Findlay if the w.e. is not otherwise spoken for.
scoobykvn
My vote for place is Schiller park, but I am slightly biased since I live across the street. Also, there is a decent (for columbus) stretch of road just north of town. We could meet up near there and go for a drive. As far as time, I am pretty open, but my car won't be driving for about 3 weeks or so. What does everyone think?
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Why not all meet at the The All German Car Show in Coumbus, to disuss

arangements. Mack9146 and I will be there. I am in on anything tho.

Dave slap.gif
scoobykvn
Meeting at the German car show works for me. That is also very close to my house. I say we meet around 11:00, but we can wait until it gets closer to finalize plans.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Food for thought:

IF there is enought interest , 4 a year , North , South, East, and West, areas of the state, that

way in moves around nobody winds up with a lot of work. Nothing big, just at a

park or someones home. If there wife will understand. AS I said food for

thouht. Dave slap.gif
Steve Thacker
QUOTE(mack914-6 @ Aug 25 2008, 11:30 PM) *

For all you guys in the Columbus area. 7th Annual All German Car Show to be held on sunday Sept 14. For more info Email is GermanCarShow@columbus.rr.com I believe at least two 914 will make the trip from Toledo. beerchug.gif

I attended and brought my car last year. I was the only 914 there! Come on guys make this event!

I have plenty of room at my house for maybe a tech or resolution meeting. I have a huge driveway and a three car / shop for restorations or complete builds. We could also use my shop as a place to help others and participate in helping someone finish their car or sort out a problem. I have all the tools, welders and other stuff to just about do anything.

Other than that I'm all up for getting together and exchange ideas and help each other.
tdgray
I don't have a 914 right now but I am always happy to talk cars with fellow enthusiasts.

My MGA club is all but disolved as the people in that club are older and just not into things anymore.

I really have not hooked up with the TR6 folks yet as it is still in need of restoration and doesn't move out of the garage

So yes... I would be happy to meet up from time to time. I will offer the use of my place for some meet in the future (I have a kegerator) biggrin.gif
scoobykvn
I would love to bring my car to this event, But it would be a real strectch to get it running in time. The engine is going in tomorrow, then I am leaving town for 4 days. I will do my best to get it running by then, but it won't be nearly complete aesthetically, certainly not show worthy. I am open to anybody who wants to help, I live right near where the All German Show will be held. Sounds like Steve has a great place to meet. I would be up for that.
mack914-6
I first offered up the All German show as a place for all the 914 in the area to get together. (Got the idea from BarberDave, it was his idea to go from the Toledo area) So lets keep this going and as we get close to the Sept. 14 date we can get a total, time and a place to meet. This may lead to something.
Mack idea.gif
Steve Thacker
QUOTE(scoobykvn @ Aug 27 2008, 03:05 PM) *

I would love to bring my car to this event, But it would be a real strectch to get it running in time. The engine is going in tomorrow, then I am leaving town for 4 days. I will do my best to get it running by then, but it won't be nearly complete aesthetically, certainly not show worthy. I am open to anybody who wants to help, I live right near where the All German Show will be held. Sounds like Steve has a great place to meet. I would be up for that.

Is your motor complete? Sorted, new hoses to put on, etc? I might be able to help you get it running and get it ready for the show. The aesthetic looks mean nothing. It is all about participation. Plus we can sit around swap stories and tell lies, almost like fish'in biggrin.gif
scoobykvn
The motor is ready to go in. I am swapping everything over from my 1976 2.0 that is rusted badly into a 1970 chassis. What is left to do before I can drive it: Put in engine (hopefully tomorrow) Put on rear suspension, bleed brakes, hook up guages and engine electrical, put on hood, trunk,engine lid, install windshield, and some other little things. It sounds like a lot, and probably is, But I should be able to get a lot done tomorrow. The biggest problem is that I am out of town this weekend. So that leaves each night after work next week, and the day before the show. I am not sure how possible it is to finish it. I will have to see how much I get done tomorrow since I took the day off.
scoobykvn
I actually just realized another problem. I still need bumpers before I can drive it. I am thinking it is not possible for me to get my car to the show this time. But if not, I will be there for sure to see the others.
Steve Thacker
Dang what a pisser. Well...there is always next year for the car. You should attend anyway as they have the best Warsteiner dunkle beer at the Germania show.

Yummmy beer.gif
scoobykvn
I am close to getting my car running, but still no chance for tomorrow's show. I am planning on heading over around 10:30 or 11:00. Is anyone else planning on attending? with or without a car?
wbergtho
I just wish we had better 914 roads around here. Everything is flat and straight

My car likes flat & straight just fine...
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

OK Who made it ? The weather kept me home. Dave
Steve Thacker
Not me dry.gif

I'm having a issue with putting the car back to points. ( dead coil ) & timing gear out 180 degrees to boot. Working on it now
Travisfling
Finally got mine home (see the must have good karma on my side thread) and it's certainly not running, but I hope to get her there soon. I'm going to start with the fuel delivery, brakes and tires and go from there. I would love to meet up with you guys, with or without a car, and see your yours or simply to have a beer. It's a little hectic right now, though, as I'm expecting another little girl in late October, but hope to get the car running by then. anyway, let me know.

Steve - My brother lives over in your neck of the woods, or at least somewhat so. Maybe I'll stop by and say hi next time I'm at his place.
Gene
I'm over in Louisville and wouldn't mind meeting up in Ohio somewhere. I have friends in Columbus I need to visit anyway. My car still needs some work but should be ready in a few months. New rotors/breaks, swap in stock FI engine and replace wiring for FI, and replace the tires and I should be good to go. Guess we should shoot for something in the spring as it will be getting cold in another month.
Steve Thacker
QUOTE(Travisfling @ Sep 16 2008, 10:27 AM) *

Finally got mine home (see the must have good karma on my side thread) and it's certainly not running, but I hope to get her there soon. I'm going to start with the fuel delivery, brakes and tires and go from there. I would love to meet up with you guys, with or without a car, and see your yours or simply to have a beer. It's a little hectic right now, though, as I'm expecting another little girl in late October, but hope to get the car running by then. anyway, let me know.

Steve - My brother lives over in your neck of the woods, or at least somewhat so. Maybe I'll stop by and say hi next time I'm at his place.

Well give me a PM or something and we can make a fun day of it. I should have my little stupid timing issues out of the way and we can sit and drink a few and exchange ideas or go take a spin and waste some time. I'm always up for that.

BrarberDave:
I'm up for it, and on the bus. Your last event was great!
Ericv1
I live in Cincinnati and have only seen 2 914's on the road in the past year. If you plan anything please PM me. I'd drive a couple of hours to get together. Eric
eric914
I'm in even for an informal get together. I live in Sprinboro and there is another 914 I know of in Centerville.
jfort
I am up I-75 near Findlay. Count me in.
dflesburg
If we can make it (we are very busy with Football and Marathons and Rock Concerts and working on the orange 914 right now) whatever weekend you pick, GreatPumpkin and I would like to come.
scoobykvn
Why don't we shoot for the first weekend in october or the last weekend in september? Where should we meet for an informal get together, and ideas? Any volunteers for their home?
Steve Thacker
I have no problem hosting. But I will have to ask the Mrs, as she is a stickler for me sneaking and having people over and the house is not perfect inside and out biggrin.gif
Travisfling
I finally got her running!!! Anyone up for a get together?
scoobykvn
mine will be running for the first time this weekend. i would love to meet up and see some other cars. anyone have any idea on location?
turnaround89
Im closing up on my build, paint next week, new windshield next week, and then carpet. I might be able to go, depending on location
Travisfling
I'm up for anywhere in the central Ohio area. Not the most interesting driving, but good times nonetheless. Anyone have a house to volunteer?
dflesburg
We are in Dayton. Thats kind of central to everyone. Let me know what you think.
scoobykvn
my car currently has no windows or targa seals so I might not want to drive too far, unless there is zero chance of rain.
Travisfling
I'm good with Dayton... Who did I just see on here who's from Centerville? Anyways that would be cool with me! Just let me know when and where.
Doug Leggins
Dayton is less than a 3 hour drive from my place driving.gif

If you're letting Hoosiers join the party and the timing works out - I'd take a short road trip to join in on some 914 fun. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.