Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Schreiber Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
schreiber
Greetings all! I guess this will serve as a central introduction/ build/ update thread for my teener. A little about me: I've been a member of the site for a year or so. I'm a full time student, work full time as a networks administrator, and am a member of the Marine Corps reserve.

I hope to take this car back to a factory original look... Not down to the last bolt, but given the choice, I'll probably choose the factory look. I've really enjoyed reading the enthusiasm of Pat Garvey and crew in the 'Originality & History' section.

Finally, the 914 is and will be a learning experience for me. I'll admit I have a lot to learn, but I've enjoyed playing around with it so far.

..Also want to give a shoutout to my neighbor, Scott (SGB). He has a beautiful 914, and has been an inspiration with regards to the car. I can only hope I get mine looking like his some day.

Mine:

Click to view attachment

More pictures to follow!
schreiber
So far most of the stuff I've attempted has been cosmetic:
-Tore out the headliner & resurfaced targa top in and out
-Sanded and repainted wheels, put on shiny wheel covers
-Installed new fog light grilles
-Added new parking light lenses
-Ripped out old rear trunk springs
-Installed rear trunk shox from Camp914
-Reinstalled lower dash
-Tore off rotting rear bumper top
-Installed new dash cover

Bought, but have not installed:
-New rear valance
-Passenger side seat
-Replacement door latches
-New switch caps

Big glaring things to work on in the future:
-Fix brakes!!
-Figure out rear camber problem
-New front bumper
-New interior carpet
-New bumper tops
-Repair (or replace) front valance

The little 'guts' works I've done has been limited to an oil change and plugs/ wires swap. Amazing the difference that has made... Next on the list will probably be brake work. Only having 10% braking is probably the biggest thing that is keeping this car off the road right now.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rmital
QUOTE(schreiber @ Aug 29 2008, 03:15 PM) *

-New front bumper

huh.gif from the pic above, the front bumper looks pretty clean!
SirAndy
QUOTE(schreiber @ Aug 29 2008, 11:13 AM) *

I hope to take this car back to a factory original look...

Your passenger side turn signal lense is upside down. biggrin.gif

Looks like a nice project!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
ruddyboys
I have never seen seat belts like those before
SirAndy
QUOTE(ruddyboys @ Aug 29 2008, 02:32 PM) *

I have never seen seat belts like those before

confused24.gif

Stock early non retractable seatbelts ...
bye1.gif Andy
schreiber
Made some good progress this weekend! I replaced my passenger side door latch (no more only opening that one from the inside)... And also replaced that beat up passenger side seat.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 29 2008, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(schreiber @ Aug 29 2008, 11:13 AM) *

I hope to take this car back to a factory original look...

Your passenger side turn signal lens is upside down. biggrin.gif

Looks like a nice project!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy

I'm gonna blame the turn signal thing on a PO. smile.gif That is remedied.

QUOTE(rmital @ Aug 29 2008, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(schreiber @ Aug 29 2008, 03:15 PM) *

-New front bumper

huh.gif from the pic above, the front bumper looks pretty clean!

Unfortunately, the bumper looks worse in person...
Click to view attachment

Updated shot of the wheels
Click to view attachment

Cleaner seat
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Looks like you are well on your way to a great clean car.
Nice work!
Chris Pincetich
Cool beerchug.gif
Those side mirrors look like the plastic kind...if they are they suck and I suggest replacing with OEM style mirror(s). My plastic mirrors never stayed put with a head wind and eventually broke off when I hit freeway speed, D'Oh!

The wheels look great beerchug.gif
SGB
Hey Jake!

Saw you go down the street this weekend. Car sounded great. I'll help ya with those brakes. That is a high priority, or at least should be. Just let me know... You can almost always find me there in the garage pidling around with something.
nsr-jamie
Cool, always love seeing other peoples projects. At least you are able to drive the car and do some work when time and money allows. What a difference in the wheels! Nice work!! Keep it up!
schreiber
Ok 914 world, I need some help. I'm under the car today, fiddling with things, and can't determine what these spacers? are... I speculate it was something done by a previous owner. See picture.
Click to view attachment
jmill
Those are cheesey spacers to make up for sagging springs. I'd yank them out. They also make the spring feel stiffer. If the spring is shot or not stiff enough I'd buy a new spring.
Wilhelm
Those would be the JC Whitney style spring spacers. The rear attitude of the car was likely "draggin' ass" and the PO wedged these into the springs to heighten the rear. Ya need new springs. (Edit: jmill beat me to the punch)
schreiber
Aright. Thanks for the help!
schreiber
OK gentlemen, I need some assistance. I was wanting to clean up my carburetor setup... I was spraying a can of carb cleaner straight down the barrels, engine running. (I was told to be careful and not let the engine die as I was spraying the cleaner in there). Well what did I do? I let the engine die. Now the engine will turn over and over, but won't fire up. Any help?
SGB
Hey Jake!
Probably need new spark plugs. They can be a little hard to get to unless you have done it before. I've got some new plugs at my house. Will you be there this weekend? Still got my phone number? I've got a spark plug wrench I modified a little to make the job easier too.
schreiber
Scott, I did changed the plugs a few months back. I guess it is a cheap way to troubleshoot though. If I have some time I'll try to come by this weekend.

On another note, I got my temp European plate put on. Like it? Loathe it? biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
stock93
I just noticed you were in huntsville and wanted to say hi. So I guess your part of the non running 914 owners club now. I haven't driven mine in about 3 years. Good luck on your build.

John
schreiber
QUOTE(schreiber @ Oct 11 2008, 12:00 PM) *

Ok 914 world, I need some help. I'm under the car today, fiddling with things, and can't determine what these spacers? are... I speculate it was something done by a previous owner. See picture.
Click to view attachment

QUOTE(Wilhelm @ Oct 11 2008, 12:08 PM) *

Those would be the JC Whitney style spring spacers. The rear attitude of the car was likely "draggin' ass" and the PO wedged these into the springs to heighten the rear. Ya need new springs. (Edit: jmill beat me to the punch)

Well guys, I'm diving back into this project. I need advice/recommendations on springs. AutoAtlanta? Automotion? This car probably won't ever see much autocross, so I'm probably leaning towards 100# street springs. Thoughts?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(schreiber @ Feb 24 2009, 07:33 AM) *

QUOTE(schreiber @ Oct 11 2008, 12:00 PM) *

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(Wilhelm @ Oct 11 2008, 12:08 PM) *

Well guys, I'm diving back into this project. I need advice/recommendations on springs. AutoAtlanta? Automotion? This car probably won't ever see much autocross, so I'm probably leaning towards 100# street springs. Thoughts?

I have some late 100# 914 springs. Aren't you the guy who contacted me too late about the 140# springs? PM me...
schreiber
I think I found some springs that are going to work. Thanks everybody for the help there!
Moving on...
I won't say exactly how this happened, but suffice to say that someone was being negligent. I need to figure out how to fix my front driver side fender and rocker panel. Point me toward some crash-course bodywork info?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
schreiber
Last post was in February. Is it evident that this is a slow process? Granted, I'm that much closer to finishing college, but I really thought I would have accomplished more by now. Oh well.

My latest focus has been on removing the Weber progressive 32/36, and hooking up the Weber 40's. As of today, I finally have them in there, but am second-guessing the gas line hookup. I'm also not to clear on the necessity of some of the other lines. Finally, I'll need to figure out how to hook up the linkage and throttle cable bracket. Pics are related.

Click to view attachment
Engine bay looking different with the dual Webers

Click to view attachment
/bootleg/ fuel tee
jmill
Lose that plastic tee. Plastic bakes and cracks then you burn your car down.
schreiber
QUOTE(jmill @ Aug 14 2009, 11:11 PM) *

Lose that plastic tee. Plastic bakes and cracks then you burn your car down.

sad.gif
I guess I should get something more like this ?
Katmanken
Yup.

Metal is good.
schreiber
Plastic tee replaced with better metal tee. Also have the throttle cable linkage stuff in. Everything I've read here that said tweaking it is a headache is right on. I'm afraid it is gonna be a headache.
You guys think this looks right?
Click to view attachment
CliffBraun
Not the linkage I have in my car, so I can't tell. The two basic things to test are if you've got the carbs opening at the same time (turn the linkage just a tiny bit in the middle, verify that carbs open at the same time) and if they're the same at wide open, which is a pretty obvious test
if those two are ok you're probably fine, but it wouldn't hurt to check that the plates are open the same in the middle of the range.
schreiber
think everything is in place. only problem now is the gas pedal not wanting to return. i'll fiddle with things more this weekend; i don't think my throttle cable is quite right.

smash.gif
Click to view attachment
rjames
keep the progress up! smile.gif

-Figure out rear camber problem

Did you ever figure out the camber issue? Make sure one of your suspension ears isn't rusting through.

Pick of one that did:

Cracked suspension ear
schreiber
Feeling discouraged. sad.gif After working on the car last night, I had changed plugs, plug wires, and hooked up the new battery. Moment of truth - and it turned over! Good. First time I've heard it turn over in a while. Start pumping the gas to try to get it running, and pedal goes all the way to the floor, does not return. My throttle cable came loose from the bellcrank linkage. Upon further inspection of the floorboard area, I look and see that the pedal board is totally shot. (This was one thing I thought I could get away with not replacing.) Gah! One thing leads to another.

Did you ever figure out the camber issue? Make sure one of your suspension ears isn't rusting through.

Pick of one that did:

Cracked suspension ear

I'll take a look at this next time I have it up on jacks.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(schreiber @ Aug 28 2009, 10:52 AM) *

think everything is in place. only problem now is the gas pedal not wanting to return. i'll fiddle with things more this weekend; i don't think my throttle cable is quite right.

smash.gif
Click to view attachment

Your linkage is all f'ed up, the arms should be 90 degrees from the throttle shaft.
In this pic you're getting closer than the first pic but still not quite right. Flip your arms in the center see if that helps. The cable must be straight and true, any kinks and it won't work right. You will need a light spring on the center pull.

Man that center looks bent.....and how it bolts to the case is cheesy.....
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 1 2009, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(schreiber @ Aug 28 2009, 10:52 AM) *

smash.gif
Click to view attachment

Your linkage is all f'ed up, the arms should be 90 degrees from the throttle shaft.
In this pic you're getting closer than the first pic but still not quite right. Flip your arms in the center see if that helps. The cable must be straight and true, any kinks and it won't work right. You will need a light spring on the center pull.

Man that center looks bent.....and how it bolts to the case is cheesy.....

agree.gif That center pivot mount is a pending disaster. You need to make one that mounts on two bolts or it will just tip over. The flat bar cable mount will flex and the hiem joint linkage is crossed up. Also the bolt sticking up on the end of that cable is going to hook onto the heim linkage as it passes over the cable end and hold the throttle open.
SGB
Jake!

I saw that your car was out of it's usual spot. I was afraid you sold it! I'm really busy, but I'll try to give you a hand if you need it. Is the car in the garage now?
schreiber
QUOTE(SGB @ Sep 2 2009, 09:55 AM) *

Jake!

I saw that your car was out of it's usual spot. I was afraid you sold it! I'm really busy, but I'll try to give you a hand if you need it. Is the car in the garage now?

Haven't sold it yet. I did move it last weekend. It's now over off Airport Road.
schreiber
Many thanks to pilothyer, he came over this weekend and helped me work on the car. Got the linkage correct, got it running, and even drove it around a bit.
schreiber
successfully yanked out my old accelerator cable and replaced with a nice new one last night. hope to get the linkage and timing tuned real nice tomorrow with pilothyer and sgb. also, it was a heckuva nice day today for some vintage VWs. i snapped these both on the UAH campus.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
schreiber
Closing this thread since this car was sold several years ago. New car and new build thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=264415
JRust
That's a relief. Seeing as nobody had posted but you closing it for 6 years confused24.gif

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
schreiber
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 14 2015, 11:36 AM) *

That's a relief. Seeing as nobody had posted but you closing it for 6 years confused24.gif

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.