Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I just found out my car was originally a 6 :confused:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
Shocker shocker? I found it in the rear of the trunk. Any thoughts?

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 5 2008, 02:41 PM) *

Shocker shocker? I found it in the rear of the trunk. Any thoughts?

IPB Image

Found what? The chassis number? All 914s have that, except some of the very late (76?) cars ...
confused24.gif Andy

PS: And your chassis number looks very much like a /4 chassis number ...
RiqueMar
Haha, then in that case, I stand corrected. Is it not a 6 number?
Gustl
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 5 2008, 11:42 PM) *

PS: And your chassis number looks very much like a /4 chassis number ...

agree.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 5 2008, 02:50 PM) *

according to the 914/4 chassis decoder:
Click to view attachment

Week = 03
Day = 4
XX = 55

The 55th car build on a Thursday during the 3rd week of the Year.
bye1.gif Andy
RiqueMar

pray.gif Damn.

Well, maybe one day, hahaha. I mean, a kid can dream, right?
KELTY360
Kinda like having the winning number for the lottery....on the wrong day! sad.gif
RiqueMar
You have no idea.

For the last few days I've had the attitude of, "Hey, I'll be putting a six engine in a six body."

Hello ego check
RiqueMar
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 5 2008, 03:55 PM) *

bye1.gif Andy

My car is a 70' so is it safe to say it was one of the first ones built?

25th of January 1970 #55
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 5 2008, 02:55 PM) *

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 5 2008, 02:50 PM) *

according to the 914/4 chassis decoder:
Click to view attachment

Week = 03
Day = 4
XX = 55

bye1.gif Andy

Are the weeks counted from the first full week in the year, or the week that the first day of the year falls on?
SirAndy
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 5 2008, 03:47 PM) *

25th of January 1970 #55

What is the VIN? idea.gif

Production started in '69, so yours is probably not too early, i'm guessing your VIN is somewhere around 4702903375 ...
bye1.gif Andy
RiqueMar
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 5 2008, 05:15 PM) *

25th of January 1970 #55

Production started in '69, so yours is probably not too early, i'm guessing your VIN is somewhere around 4702903375 ...
bye1.gif Andy

SirAndy
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 5 2008, 04:22 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 5 2008, 05:15 PM) *

25th of January 1970 #55

bye1.gif Andy

That can't be right ... That VIN seems too high for January 1970. It should be more like June or July.

Do you still have the black square plate on the front of the drivers side door jamb?
If so, what are the numbers on there? Should be the chassis code and the paint code.

Also, does it still have the large sticker on the rear drivers side door jamb? That should have the build date. Something like 06/70 ...
idea.gif Andy
RiqueMar
Those where both gone before I got the car. It's been through alot of owners, and my guys is they did alot of iffy work that I've been noticing, just some stuff that goes against some common sense thinking.

Here's my Dad's take on it...
He thinks that it was a Frankenstein car, and that it was pieced at the factory, this is because there is a seem at the front of the door jams. It's so well done we didn't notice it until we took the car down to metal.

Give me a few minutes, pictures to come.
jcd914
My 70 is a 03/70 Prod Date with a VIN of 4702912193

Maybe they got off to a fast start in 70, probably hoped to sell 40,000 of them instead of 20,000 of them.

Jim
RiqueMar
Again, I'm pretty sure, based on what you've told me as well as the green paint on in the area. This would also explain the Orange paint in the front.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

brant
a lot of accident cars were pieced together half and half by american repair shops

I've seen many of these, and it was a means to easily avoid a salvage title...

whats the vin in the front trunk area say?
Katmanken
I don't think the factory did work like that......

I have seen fronts and rears from 2 cars pieced together at the rear bulkhead.

My guess is repairs from a wreck.

Ken
RiqueMar
QUOTE(kwales @ Sep 5 2008, 06:23 PM) *

I don't think the factory did work like that......

I have seen fronts and rears from 2 cars pieced together at the rear bulkhead.

My guess is repairs from a wreck.

Ken

I've seen this too, however, the bottom coat of paint on the back end was green, and even had green a little on the front section, not like overspray, but similar, like the area was prepped.
Rand
Did you buy this car in Atlanta? Bfff... happy11.gif Dang beer is talking again.

Joking aside, some good info coming out of this thread.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 5 2008, 06:37 PM) *

Did you buy this car in Atlanta? Bfff... happy11.gif Dang beer is talking again.

No, from what I can see, it's been a California car all it's life. I bought it in Agoura Hills, and that owner bought it out of Palm Springs. It's had alot done to it. A/C, reinforcement, etc.
SirAndy
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 5 2008, 04:44 PM) *

He thinks that it was a Frankenstein car, and that it was pieced at the factory

naaa, seen it many times. car gets hit front/rear and is fixed by a repairshop using a complete front/rear clip from another car ...

let's hope they did a somewhat decent job and you won't have trouble getting the car aligned.
barf.gif Andy

PS: and now you know why your doorgaps are so huge! i bet the targa top doesn't fit right either. icon8.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Sep 5 2008, 04:49 PM) *

My 70 is a 03/70 Prod Date with a VIN of 4702912193

Maybe they got off to a fast start in 70, probably hoped to sell 40,000 of them instead of 20,000 of them.

Jim,
I don't think so. Something doesn't add up ...

I have VIN 4702912181 (only 12 cars before yours!) and my chassis number is 3329543 ...

That's week 33 of 1970, which makes it car #43 on Tuesday, August 11th 1970 ...

So my cars build date should be 08/70 or 09/70. There's no way that your car is 12 VINs later but was build 5 month earlier ...
idea.gif stirthepot.gif confused24.gif popcorn[1].gif Andy

PS: In fact, looking at the production numbers in '70, i'd venture to guess your car was build the same day as mine!
Your chassis number should be: 3329555
RiqueMar
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 5 2008, 06:45 PM) *

PS: and now you know why your doorgaps are so huge! i bet the targa top doesn't fit right either. icon8.gif

You're refering to my other post. And their not big, I just wanted a wide spectrum to compare too. Everything fits really good and my lines are REALLY straight. We have a few PCA members come through and they've said so.

SirAndy
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 5 2008, 05:53 PM) *

You're refering to my other post. And their not big, I just wanted a wide spectrum to compare too. Everything fits really good and my lines are REALLY straight. We have a few PCA members come through and they've said so.

If the car was stitched together from two halfs (and it sure looks like it), the only way to get it right is to have it bolted onto a bench while you do the welding. If you don't, it'll never be straight and within the factory specs.

Like i said, i've seen this before. Yours is not the first and it won't be the last. Let's hope they did it right ...
bye1.gif Andy
RiqueMar
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 5 2008, 06:57 PM) *

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 5 2008, 05:53 PM) *

If the car was stitched together from two halfs (and it sure looks like it), the only way to get it right is to have it bolted onto a bench while you do the welding. If you don't, it'll never be straight and within the factory specs.

Like i said, i've seen this before. Yours is not the first and it won't be the last. Let's hope they did it right ...
bye1.gif Andy

I really do think it's good. According to our resident body work guy, it was done right, I only said it was done at the factory because that is the feedback we got from many, but regardless, it is REALLY sound.

This has made me incredibly paranoid, excuse me while I go obsess and measure the whole car and all my gaps, hahahaha.
r_towle
Why would you say its stitched from two halves?
Maybe....just maybe it was hit in the rear.

From what I remember that rear number is on the tranny piece...not to far from the front bumper of a truck....

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 5 2008, 06:06 PM) *

Because it has a seam running from one side to the other all the way across the whole car ...
shades.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 5 2008, 06:04 PM) *

This has made me incredibly paranoid, excuse me while I go obsess and measure the whole car and all my gaps, hahahaha.

http://www.914world.com/specs/bodydims.php

http://www.914world.com/specs/underdims.php

beerchug.gif Andy
jcd914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 5 2008, 06:50 PM) *

Jim,
I don't think so. Something doesn't add up ...

I have VIN 4702912181 (only 12 cars before yours!) and my chassis number is 3329543 ...

So my cars build date should be 08/70 or 09/70. There's no way that your car is 12 VINs later but was build 5 month earlier ...

PS: In fact, looking at the production numbers in '70, i'd venture to guess your car was build the same day as mine!
Your chassis number should be: 3329555

Well I was going by the info I put in to the VIN database here. The car is missing the Karman body tag but I think I got the production date from the sticker in the door jamb. confused24.gif
I thought I could read at one point in time, I guess I'll have to look again when I get home (maybe I'll take my glasses with me).

Jim

r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 5 2008, 10:09 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 5 2008, 06:06 PM) *

Because it has a seam running from one side to the other all the way across the whole car ...
shades.gif Andy

I didnt read that...

I saw a car up here, a guy name Marcus with the same thing.
Right in front of the B pillar, all the way across....scared me....not welded up to well.

Rich
Dave_Darling
I think you can search on member "krk"; he bought a Six that was made of two half cars. Not very good, either. sad.gif The recess behind the door handle was built of Bondo, and was the wrong shape....

--DD
Rusty
Herr Andreas,

Where is the /6 chassis decoder? biggrin.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 5 2008, 04:56 PM) *

Again, I'm pretty sure, based on what you've told me as well as the green paint on in the area. This would also explain the Orange paint in the front.

.....and what appears to be the original yellow finish on the rear trunk floor where the chassis # appears indicates a third color for this car? huh.gif

Paul
Rav914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 5 2008, 06:50 PM) *

I support that. My '70 has a VIN of 4702912751. Chassis number of 3449507. The door jamb sticker states 8/70.

And...it doesn't have the sharp corners on the rear bumper idea.gif
davep
QUOTE(Rusty @ Sep 5 2008, 07:38 PM) *

Herr Andreas,

Where is the /6 chassis decoder? biggrin.gif

Not sure what you mean.
The 914/6 has an entirely difference scheme; it always begins with 13.
For 1970 the 13 is followed by four digits that roughly follow the last four digits of the VIN.
For 1971 & 1972 the 13 is followed by a 1 or a 2 ( the model year), then by four digits that roughly follow the last four digits of the VIN.
In other words the factory forgot to add the year digit in the body # for 1970.
The factory did use some 1971 MY bodies for 1970 MY cars.
AFAIK, the 1970 body #'s were in front of the lock, and the later body #'s were in front of the right taillight.
Rusty
Darn. I hoped there was a way to determine my 914/6's birthday. The CoA doesn't list the data.

Oh well. smile.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 5 2008, 06:37 PM) *

av-943.gif av-943.gif
RiqueMar
Ok, I can breath easy now. Took the car over to our neighbors shop (JDM) put it up, and measured the whole thing, it's right on and sound. Thank you Andy, that guide was awesome.

I was obsessing all last night, I even went on eBay looking for another body, which was making my mood horrible, because I just put the flares on it. pheww aktion035.gif

Atlanta? Does that have anything to do with AA?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.