Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Six Conversion Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
McMark
Amazing job.

I would do charcoal/gray on the wheels before I did black, if it were my car.
pete-stevers
you could do something different for the wheels, like an accent color or an complete opposite color ...if you are daring,
Gint
Just swipe the wheels off Thomas's car. They should be a pretty close match! poke.gif Looks awesome.
proto31
Swiping Thomas' wheels would be the easiest route, not a bad idea...

I like the idea of the dark gray, do you guys have any pictures of any green cars with gray fuchs? I've never been the biggest fan of painting a set of fuchs all the same color without having the lip and spokes anodized clear, but I think it's growing on me. All the trim on this car will be powder coated in matte black, I really like the contrast between the black and green. Any pics would be helpful.

Also, I started assembly of the 3.0 last night, I'll post some pics a bit later. Other updates: completed new brake hard line install in the rear half of the car, received Cohline oil line from Rebel Racing (this stuff is REALLY nice, same as factory original lines, and reasonably priced), finished the hard oil lines that run to the front oil cooler, installed the dash frame with new vinyl and hooked up the fresh air box, also bought a bunch of new parts and found some really cool NOS parts at the Pomona swap meet last weekend.

Dan
proto31
Here's some pics of the beginning of the engine build:

Parts and assembled crank-

Click to view attachment

Case-

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

proto31
The carbs, completely rebuilt, ultrasonically cleaned-

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
proto31
Rear brake hard lines, with T instead of proportioning valve-

Click to view attachment

Upper dash frame-

Click to view attachment

Front oil cooler test fitting-

proto31
Headlight installation-

Click to view attachment

Rear sway bar (stock)-

Click to view attachment
proto31
I got my oil line from Rebel Racing, they are original wrapped Cohline, you give them a rough estimate of the total footage and the type of fittings needed, they send you the complete line with fittings, you cut and fit everything how you like and send them back marked, they crimp all the fitting and send it back to you. Custom oil lines that will last forever and look factory, very reasonably priced.-

Click to view attachment

Close up-

Click to view attachment

Fittings-

Click to view attachment
proto31
Here's some previews of the front and rear suspension, real 935 front struts, coil overs with needle bearings (Rebel Racing again)-

Click to view attachment

Close up of upper bearing-

Click to view attachment

Rear coil overs-

Click to view attachment
proto31
Front rotor (picture of just one)-

Click to view attachment

Misc. Cool find at the Pamona swap meet last weekend, NOS front trunk pull with key, I've never seen a new one of these before-

Click to view attachment
cwpeden
It may have already been mentioned, but I think your rear sway bar is upside down. Had mine the same and it hit the cross member right where it takes the bend down.
bcheney
You are doing a VERY nice job with all your work. I am converting my 75 to a six and fully appreciate the time and dedication that it takes to jump into a project like this. You will have one helluva a ride! Keep the pics coming!!
TravisNeff
Bada-bump!
Dr Evil
Thanks for the oil hose info. Great build smile.gif
ajserrano
QUOTE(proto31 @ Oct 5 2008, 08:29 PM) *

Here are some photos from Armando Serano's website, this is supposedly an exact replica of how the factory did it. I've seen pictures of GT front trunks with the same cover over the area where I've welded in the bar, but unfortunatly you cannot see what's underneath the cover.

...precisely the idea...

CLARIFICATION...

The Porsche factory never implemented this front-end modification on any 914-6 GT and I can't take credit for it either. This modification was initially fabricated and implemented in a very early IMSA 914-6 by the very talented Don Araki. I was told Araki built a winning GTU 914-6 race car for Wayne Baker many years ago. To see additional photos of the 914-6 to GT conversion that Mr. Don Araki created along with the owner, Dr. Bob Gagnon, please follow these links;

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/other_porsche_...9_dr_bob_gagnon

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/image/22288815

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/image/22288814

We kicked-it up a notch...
Because this was NOT a Porsche factory GT modification, we simply decided to cover the modification work in a way that could not be seen and later scrutinized as a "non-factory 914-6 GT" mod.

Frankly, it was a brilliant modification and IMHO, certainly worth the effort when considering its benefits while cutting out those two large gaping holes at the front trunk of the 914-6 to accomodate the large BEHR front oil-cooler. To see our entire fabrication sequence, follow the link below;

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/the9146gt_fron..._reinforcements

blink.gif
geniusanthony
I just went through your thread and I am impressed with the job you've done. Makes me want to take mine apart and redo everything.
That front end support looks great and def. beats just putting a fiberglass cover on the floor next to the giant hole for a cooler.
proto31
So, a lot of progress has been made since my last post. I got a bit lazy posting stuff, I enjoy reading other peoples posts more than creating my own biggrin.gif . Thomas, Alberto and I got the engine in a few months ago, all the suspension is on, electrical is working great and the paint is complete! Andy stopped by this Saturday and helped (did all the work) buff, polish and pink out the paint after I had color sanded it. It looks AMAZING!!! Thanks Andy!

Here some pics, in no particular order:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Color Sanded:
Click to view attachment
proto31
Engine installed:

Click to view attachment

Front S Calipers, Thomas and I each had a set polished and re-anodized, new SS pistons and SS cross-over tubes:

Click to view attachment

Shot with Thomas created sway bar arm (red anodized):

Click to view attachment

Rebuilt CV drive shafts:

Click to view attachment
proto31
Thomas' sway bar arms, pre-annodizing. These mount onto a hollow 23mm Tarret bar:

Click to view attachment

Underside, new 19 mm MC, rebuilt steering rack and aluminum cross member:

Click to view attachment

I'll be running 15 x 8 inch Fuchs all around, I had these stripped, then put them on a lathe to polish them and then had them anodized with a clear finish in a way that replicates the RSR finish pretty closely. I will paint the centers, you'll have to wait until the 25th to see what color. My plan is to drive this thing up to Ron's swap meet on the 25. Here's a pic after the anodizing:

Click to view attachment
AgPete139
Any updates?
proto31
QUOTE(AgPete139 @ Nov 9 2010, 01:20 PM) *

Any updates?

A few updates, I've already put 2,400 miles on the car, it's a blast to drive. I recently picked up a factory NOS brown carpet set that I will be installing in the car, the original carpet was brown, I'm going to change the door panels and re-do the seats. I also decided to put some of the factory style sound deadening tar on the floor boards, really cool stuff. You cut out a template, and form it into place with a heat gun. Here's some pics:

proto31
The floorboards:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

proto31
wheels and gauges...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
AZ914
drooley.gif drooley.gif aktion035.gif
Root_Werks
Man that looks great!
proto31
Thanks! It's been a lot of fun so far. Any ideas on door panel and seat colors/fabric? I've got that NOS brown carpet set and am going to have the door panels and Scheel seats re-upholstered. Before the brown, I was going to do the Scheel seats in black german vinyl sides with houndstooth centers. Now I need to do the door panels brown and think I'll probably have to go brown with the seats as well, any thoughts? Anyone have any pics of nice brown interiors?

Thanks,

Dan
Ferg
I vote for brown/brown hounds tooth, or brown with a tartan center.

Check out www.autobahninteriors.com for a bunch of pics...

Ferg
MDG
QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 28 2011, 06:23 PM) *

I vote for brown/brown hounds tooth
Ferg

+1

Would look amazing with the green and give it a major period feel. I believe T.C. is doing the black houndstooth in his and the seats he had done are beautiful.
proto31
I made a shroud for the front oil cooler, I've been meaning to do this for some time. I took some 1/16 aluminum and formed it, riveting the side panels on. Then covered it in perloin. Also removed both seats, they'll be on their way to the upholstery shop on Monday. Last thing I completed this week was the harness bar, I ended up welding some 1/8 steel tabs on so that I can connect the harness to the bar without having to drill holes in the firewall.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
speed metal army
Kickass. 016.gif Ive decided to stash $1000 bux every month,for when you get bored of this thing.Dibs! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
I love it.
proto31
Thanks man, I've had a lot of fun building it so far...
proto31
Dropped the seats, door panels and center armrest off at the upholstery shop today, they now sit at the same shop that did Andy's (Socal Andy) seats. I'm going with Cork (original Porsche color) and brown hounds tooth (they had some really nice, tightly woven stuff). It's going to be a lot of brown, but I think it will work. It's going to be tight for Route 66, may just have the seats back then, we'll see. Now I'm working on fabricating some stainless steel brackets for my 6" Marchal fog lights. Turning out pretty good so far, welding stainless is a little different than standard steel. I'll post some pics in a little while.
Ferg
QUOTE(proto31 @ Mar 7 2011, 04:02 PM) *

Dropped the seats, door panels and center armrest off at the upholstery shop today, they now sit at the same shop that did Andy's (Socal Andy) seats. I'm going with Cork (original Porsche color) and brown hounds tooth (they had some really nice, tightly woven stuff). It's going to be a lot of brown, but I think it will work. It's going to be tight for Route 66, may just have the seats back then, we'll see. Now I'm working on fabricating some stainless steel brackets for my 6" Marchal fog lights. Turning out pretty good so far, welding stainless is a little different than standard steel. I'll post some pics in a little while.

aktion035.gif I've got Cork in my 75 Carrera
Eric_Shea
Dibs!

He just sold it to me. lol3.gif
Ferg
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 7 2011, 04:16 PM) *

Dibs!

He just sold it to me. lol3.gif

Get in line... pray.gif
MDG
QUOTE(proto31 @ Mar 7 2011, 06:02 PM) *

I'm going with Cork (original Porsche color) and brown hounds tooth

That is going to look spectacular!
proto31
I found some really nice (as close to NOS as you can get) sun visors at the German swap meet this weekend:

Click to view attachment

The NOS Marchal fog lights/driving lights, I also picked up some covers for them at the lit show over the weekend:

Click to view attachment

proto31
Some more:

Click to view attachment

Installed without bumper, stainless brackets go through the stock fog light grills:

Click to view attachment
proto31
Some updates, Socal Andy came down and polished my conversion, Thomas' new (new to him) boxster, my boxster and his 914, a fun day. Some pics:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

proto31
Thomas' car, a really nice 97' with a GT3 front bumper, he's taking it back to Germany with him. If you look carefully, you should be able to see 4 Porsches in the first pic, my neighbors thought I was running a chop shop in my garage for stolen cars, pretty funny.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
proto31
Received all the interior pieces, seats and door panels turned out great, I like the color a lot. Really looks sharp in the daylight:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Installed the vinyl strips that lay on the cross bars:

Click to view attachment
dw914er
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

that car looks stunning. The green and that fuchs finish goes great together.
proto31
Installed all the carpet, had to remove the steering column so that I didn't have to cut a slit in the carpet set, PITA dry.gif

Click to view attachment

Passenger door before new panel biggrin.gif :

Click to view attachment

and after:

Click to view attachment

proto31
Thanks for the comments!

Here's the interior after I finished this weekend, still need speaker grills (although I won't be installing a radio):

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Lou W
Absolutley Stunning. beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
Gint
QUOTE(proto31 @ Mar 7 2011, 04:02 PM) *
It's going to be tight for Route 66, may just have the seats back then, we'll see.

I hope you make it. I'd like to see that car in person. Very nice!
Ferg
Wow pray.gif
Eric_Shea
confused24.gif Isn't this car already done? confused24.gif

I thought we saw it last May at WCR in Tahoe... huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.