Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Six Conversion Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
proto31
So, I started my new project (Thomas's old project). The shell was originally aubergine, then painted yellow. Thomas had stripped all the undercoating and removed all the exterior paint. I plan on having the entire shell walnut shell blasted to remove the last of the interior paint. Thomas had also installed the "6" engine mount and the chassis stiffening kit. I have removed the mounting hardware for the window washer tank. This weekend I have started installing the steel AA GT flares. Front and and rear left GT flares were installed. I dismantled the 3.0 engine that I will be using, the heads are off to be rebuilt, the rods balanced, the crank balanced and micro polished, the rockers rebushed and resurfaced, and the flywheel and pressure plate balanced. I'll be running carbs and a 911-01 transmission. More to follow.
tronporsche
HHHmmmmm, somethin is telling me this is gonna be a "mean machine" !!! Have fun, best wishes.
sww914
Cleco fasteners are good, but this seems like a perfect time to share a trick. Self tapping screws do the same job but much faster and cheaper. 1/2" or 5/8" drill point phillips heads go right in with a cordless drill and leave a small hole behind that's just as easy to weld up.
proto31
Thanks for the Tip! I had the Clacos lying around so I figured I'd use them, the sheet metal screws would would work well too. I like the Clacos because you can put them in with one hand while your holding the panel in position with the other.
LarryR
Subscribing looks like it will be an interesting build popcorn[1].gif
r_towle
post some more pics...

Rich
Lou W
This is gonna be a great build, I really liked this car. beerchug.gif

popcorn[1].gif
proto31
So, I finished all the steel flares last weekend. Those took a lot more work than I thought. This weekend I started on the front oil cooler. I decided to fabricate a brace that attached the two front A-arm pick-ups just like the factory did on all the GTs. I used a pretty beefy beem that was mated to match the contour of the A-arm mounts. Thomas helped me make a cap which will help air flow better through the oil cooler. I then cut out the front and bottom holes needed to feed air into the cooler. I plan on having the entire tub walnut shell blasted before paint. The next step will be to fabricate copper oil lines to feed the cooler. Here are some pics...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

proto31
More

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And here's one of Thomas working on his "Dark Night" project, notice the chopped windsheild. This car is going to be pretty wild!

Click to view attachment
Todd Enlund
Are you going to return the car to Aubergine?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Oct 5 2008, 12:28 AM) *

Are you going to return the car to Aubergine?

Ya, beerchug.gif
SLITS
Tell that damn Kraut to wear welding goggles before he burns his eyes (Yeh, been there did that ONCE).

Nice build.
Gint
Can't you see the man is trying to get a tan?
dakotaewing
Is that beam solid, or rectanglar tubing/channel?
Looks great!!!
proto31
I told Thomas to stop staring into the light... His car is turning out really nice, I don't want to give too much away, so you'll all have to wait until he starts posting pictures.

The steel tube I used is a hollow rectangular tube. It's definetly over-kill, but it was a fun side project.

I don't think I'll be re-painting the car aubergine, right now I'm leaning toward slate grey (late sixties 911 and 912 color). We'll see, I've got a bunch of time to decide what color to paint it.
jmill
Adding that beam is a great mod. I like it. I just straightened out my front end and that would be a slick addition. Do you have a pic of how the factory did it?
proto31
Here are some photos from Armando Serano's website, this is supposedly an exact replica of how the factory did it. I've seen pictures of GT front trunks with the same cover over the area where I've welded in the bar, but unfortunatly you cannot see what's underneath the cover.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jmill
Thanks for digging those up. Thats just what I was looking for.
proto31
Well, I finally got around to working on my car again. The entire car is protected with a layer of sealer. I have a little bit of body work to do, but not much (mainly the areas around the flares). The color has been chosen, it will be viper green, a 1972 911 color, this car is a 1972 98 paint code color car, so viper green is a feasible color for this car.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

And this will be the power plant, a rebuilt 3.0 with carbs.
with some bowtailing....
Click to view attachment
Congrats on your new project!
EdwardBlume
Neat. Adopt me.
nsr-jamie
Cool! Looks like its going to be an excellent project!! Nice work on the front brace too. Cheers beerchug.gif
proto31
Well, I've made a lot of progress over the last 3 weeks (I'll post pictures a little later). I sprayed the underside with Wurth undercoating, Thomas' lent me the special Wurth gun for spraying this stuff on. It's water based, takes about 4 days to completely dry, but once it's dry that stuff is amazing, stronger than sh@t. I've also gone through and completed all the filler for the flares, I used Rage Extreme which worked out very well. Yesterday I sprayed on the first coat of primer, I used UPOL's high build primer, that stuff is amazing too. I could have blocked the car on the same piece of sand paper if I wanted to, UPOL does not clog up the sand paper at all. My plan is to start laying down some color next weekend.

Once all the messy work is complete I'll start assembling the 3.0. I still need to get the heads, crank, rods, rocker arms, pistons, and flywheel back from the machine shop. Does anyone happen to have a set of intake manifolds for a set of 40 webers that are bored out to mate with 78-79' 3.0 liter heads?
914Sixer
Sweet looking !!!!!!
PanelBilly
Your working way too fast.
greenie
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Aug 6 2009, 04:36 PM) *

Your working way too fast.

agree.gif

Looking great!
TravisNeff
It's been a little later, where's the pics? popcorn[1].gif
proto31
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Aug 7 2009, 10:25 AM) *

It's been a little later, where's the pics? popcorn[1].gif

You guys are too greedy... biggrin.gif I'll get some pics up tonight, I spent this morning spraying a second coat of primer, it turned out really good.
jt914-6
What cams are you going to use with the carbs????? What pistons too?????? I'm using Web cam early "S" grind #149, and Cosworth pistons on my 3.0.....
proto31
You my friend have taken your 3.0 liter to a whole different level. I have plans for a more radical 3.0 upgrade later but for now it will have stock CIS pistons and cams, the originals are in perfect shape, I figure it will be good for 210-220 with carbs and headers. That will be plenty for me for a a few years. The engine will be completely balanced...
proto31
Here's some pics:

Seam sealer
Click to view attachment

More
Click to view attachment

Underside of front trunk with oil cooler cut out, I added the additional flap you see to create a low pressure pocket where the hole is to suck out air for better cooling, a few GTs had this same style flap.
Click to view attachment

First coat of primer
Click to view attachment

jt914-6
Since you are using a 3.0 SC engine with carbs, you should at least have someone like Jerry Woods to recurve the dizzy for carbs. Had mine done and it makes a difference. Also, consider using a MSD 6AL. I'm using that with the Blaster coil, and I've also got the adjustable timing control.
proto31
So, here are some updates. I'm extremely happy on they way everything has turned out so far.

A few pics of the Wurth undercoating:

Click to view attachment
proto31
And now for the fun part. I painted the car in my garage, was able to use my 5 gal compressor with my HPLV gun. I did setup a few separators in line on the air supply to ensure no water ever made it to the gun. I used Dupont ChroMax for my base coat, it is a water based product and it seemed to work really well. The only advice I'd give anyone else doining this is to make sure you apply it on a relative warm day, it could take an hour or two for it to flash before you can apply your clear coat.

My house has a relative constant westerly wind, to take advantage of this I placed these screens under the garage door, opened rear door and installed a fan to help pull air through the garage.

Click to view attachment

A pic of the car after the trunks, passenger compartment, and engine bay were painted:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
proto31
A few more:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here's Thomas helping out with the taping- Thomas spent about 16 hours this weekend helping me out, I figured I would be able to get it done on my own, absolutely no way. Not the best pic...

Click to view attachment
Heeltoe914
Very nice job Love the fact that your doing it all yourself. Go tiger.
proto31
And finally the car (not the doors and hoods) are finished. The color is Viper Green, it's the same color used on the new 911 GT3 RS, the photos hardly do it justice (lighting really makes a difference as you can tell from the photos). I plan on color sanding the car once I've finished re-assembling the car, I figure that I will likely scratch it at some point during re-assembly.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

TravisNeff
smilie_pokal.gif

That looks great!
greenie
You are doing fantastic work! Great color!

I'm thinking of painting myself also in the garage, are you satisfied with the paint finish?

Was dust a big problem for you? I'm concerned about wasting a lot of expensive product.

Keep at it!
proto31
QUOTE(greenie @ Aug 24 2009, 09:33 AM) *

You are doing fantastic work! Great color!

I'm thinking of painting myself also in the garage, are you satisfied with the paint finish?

Was dust a big problem for you? I'm concerned about wasting a lot of expensive product.

Keep at it!

I'm completely satisfied with the paint finish, it turned out better than I ever expected. Dust was a bit of a problem but not a big deal. I watered down the driveway in front of the garage where the circulation was coming from, blew the entire garage out with a blower several times (days before hand) and just tried to keep things clean. There are a few lint pieces that fell into the paint- no big deal and easily sanded out. The culprit I believe were the stupid rags I used to place over the stands I used... headbang.gif

I think as long as you spend the time prepping the car and cleaning everything really well, you should be ok. I spent about 40-50 hours installing the flares, about 80-90 hours on body work (3 coats of primer, sealer and filler where needed) and about 22 hours painting (still need to paint the doors and hoods). I could have gone a bit faster but I was in no real hurry.

proto31
It's been a few weeks, I've got some updates to post. Everything is going together quite smoothly.

Here's a pic of the NOS wiring harness that I've installed:
Click to view attachment

NOS rear tail light assembly:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

proto31
another:

Click to view attachment

Wiring harness installed:

Click to view attachment

Rebuilt pedal cluster- powder coated, zinc plates, brass bushings... 914-6 hand throttle:

Click to view attachment

NOS seat track:
Click to view attachment

proto31
another:
Click to view attachment

Rebuilding the shift lever:
Click to view attachment

Installing the springs is a real PIA blink.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

proto31
Rebuilding the windshield wiper assembly, zinc plated the mounting bracket, cleaned everything else up and re-greased everything:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Finished:

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
That is going to be one fine car. Nice work.
Rod
Fabulous build. Looking forward to see how you progress, I saw a GT3 the other day in Viper Green and it stopped me in my tracks! Very cool colour, what wheels and interior colour are you going for?
proto31
I've got a set of 7 and 8 fuchs that I'll be using, I'm still debating on the finish. I just had an old cookie cutter powder coated in mat black as a test, it turned out really nice. I might have the fuchs pc'd in mat black and then do a viper green pin stripe along the lip, not sure. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The interior will be pretty stock, black of course. I do have a set of Scheel seats that I will be installing. Also, I have a WWII aircraft elapsed time clock that I'll be installing in the dash, sort of like the old rally clocks. I'll probably go with a 911 combo gauge and then fab a holder for an individual fuel gauge that will be placed where the radio would normally sit, similar to the GTs.
AgPete139
Looks good, Dan! Man, you are moving quickly! I like the choice of paint, too. Any pics of the 3.0 yet?

Peter
PanelBilly
Now I told you this before and you're not paying attention. Your working way too fast. This project should be taking you at least 10 years and at this rate you'll be finishing the car in only three! I suggest you resand the body to the filler coat again and repaint it. Doing each step only once is not enough.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.