Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My First Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
abnrdo
Nice work man! Keep it up, your giving me inspiration. What long stiffening kit did you use? Is that a ColdWater engine mount?

-Jim
skeates
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 23 2014, 05:30 AM) *

Glad to see in your absences you were able to get the chassis figured out. I like the Suby 6 engines.

Yeah - I was really relieved to see that I hadn't royally hosed the chassis as much as it initially looked like. Now that I've got the car back on wheels and the doors on again I'm not too thrilled about the door gaps on the driver's side - but I can't remember how bad they were when I started the project (should have taken pictures). I figure though that's something that I can address when I do the final tear-down for bodywork.
skeates
QUOTE(abnrdo @ Feb 23 2014, 01:03 PM) *

Nice work man! Keep it up, your giving me inspiration. What long stiffening kit did you use? Is that a ColdWater engine mount?

-Jim

Thanks! The long kit is one that I purchased second hand (un-installed obviously) from someone on the board. It is one of the Engman long kits. The engine cradle is one of Ian's (Coldwater), though I'll add the caveat that is was a prototype from his initial development of this product (and therefore significantly discounted). The prototype didn't have the mounts for a 6-cyl and needed some "tweaks" for it to bolt up correctly. If you look closely you'll be able to see my additions. His current cradles are going to be a lot more polished than mine.
skeates
Got a few more hours in yesterday. Re-installed the engine (I'm starting to get the feeling that I'll be very good at this soon), finished drilling the holes for the front engine mount plates and even got the nutserts installed for the fuel pump.

Here's the front engine mount. Only thing left here to do is trim down excess metal and paint!
Click to view attachment

Nutserts for the fuel pump. It looks a bit messy right now on the top side since I used the extra epoxy to fill in holes left by the original fuel sender. Tonight I should be able to remove the tape I used as a backing material and sand it all down nice and smooth. I probably would have been OK welding it (It's been empty for 4+ years), but I just didn't feel like trying it alone at 11 PM without a fire extinguisher. Since the holes are all located where the gasket material covers this is more for good measure anyways. This pic really brings out the "patina" inside my gas tank!
Click to view attachment
ruby914
Somehow I missed a lot of your progress. The car is looking good. I think the front mount is great.
I am currently replacing my 901 with a Suby transmission. I am looking for some sort of pitch mount replacement. There is not a lot of room at the aft firewall, about 1.5".
I thought I could make it work but the Suby pitch mount is too long.
The front mount should solve this for you.
I don't understand how we have so many conversions built with out a pitch mount and we don't see problems. Not just with breaking motor mounts but with a jerky feeling motor. At one time I felt a lot of wheel hop in a rolling 2nd gear burnout. I don't know if this could be from the motor rocking back and forth or something else? If I come up with something before I put everything back together I hope to feel some solid improvement. If not, at least I will feel everything is locked in place better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.