Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hold The Phone! I'm working on MY CAR!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
computers4kids
QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 25 2012, 08:18 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 25 2012, 07:55 PM) *

Marathon blue metallic. See the trunk? smile.gif

drooley.gif Love that Color! That will be sweet Mark! Good turn out for the tear down. Wish I could have hung around the extra day to help.

Really...I don't like that color! smile.gif
LarryR
Cool! Wish I could have made it. Would have been much more fun then the 12 hr drive back from Palm Desert yesterday. 6 hrs to get there (making extraordinary time) 12 hrs to get back ...

Brandon said my car will be ready to go to your shop this week so maybe yours goes over and mine comes back? I will be by on Thursday...

Larry
r_towle
Lemme get this straight.

You finally got your own car running so you could enjoy it...after years of not even working on it.

Then, after driving it for a few weeks you have dismantled it again?

Ah man...I hope you get the same gang back to put it together or it may end up looking like Erics car, but 5 years from now.
That is a compliment to you both...but also a warning about project creap....

This coming from a guy who took his apart, bought a 911 and keep pushing the 914 on to the lift...then doing nothing.

rich
ConeDodger
Leave him alone Rich. If he's going to be Mr. 914, he needs Street Creds. He's got to have a show piece 914 so people can admire his work... evilgrin.gif
aircooledtechguy
Way to go on the progress!!

Man do I know how hard it can be to work on you OWN car. . . beerchug.gif Will you have it ready for WCR-2013?? I've been to the last 2 and you've been 914-less both times poke.gif Keep up the good work!!
McMark
I've been to 20-some 914 events and I've had a 914 at one of them. laugh.gif

I realized it was time to build up a car to show off a little. I'm pretty anxious about project creep, but I'm going at this with the intent to get it back from paint with the motor and transmission ready to bolt back in. Anything that can be bolted on temporarily or left off (interior/bumpers/etc) will be in order to get the car back to running condition as soon as possible. I have a lot to do, but I think I can do it.

197 days to go.
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 25 2012, 08:55 PM) *

Marathon blue metallic. See the trunk? smile.gif

That's what I was hoping. smilie_pokal.gif
McMark
Getting closer to paint time. Most importantly, I finished lengthening the frame on my Ford F150 tow vehicle and got it running again with the long bed. biggrin.gif

On the 914 front, I pulled the dash out and have been welding holes up left and right.
Sidemarkers are gone.
Antenna is gone.
Extra holes from some DAPO stereo install gone.
Extra holes from some DAPO side mirror install gone.

Pulled off the rockers and everything looks as good as the rest of the car. A little surface rust that will clean up with a wire wheel. And the rockers themselves are solid. boldblue.gif

There was a bit of body damage around the PS turn signal which I straightened after welding the sidemarker holes.

I'm thinking about pulling the suspension off as well since it's already pretty well stripped down. Not sure if it was actually benefit anything though. I'm sure it would make me clean and powdercoat all that stuff as well. idea.gif Probably should, since I'm already that close. But then again, I've already got a huge list of stuff to do. confused24.gif Opinions?
McMark
Oh, and the icon8.gif hood badge holes are gone.
Cairo94507
Heck if you are that far along.... pull and powder coat it. It will look so good when you put it back together.
76-914
Once you get the airbox and the glove box door re-installed your half finished. happy11.gif Hey Mark, shoot me a pic of the tank/welder cart that I see in the background. I've got a 300cf tank also and I'm looking for ideas for a cart. TiA
damesandhotrods
As far as the cleaning and powder coating the suspension goes; in for inch in for a mile, and as long as you’re taking it apart. It’ll never get easier to do, and besides it might keep you awake at night if you don’t it.
McMark
Hey Mark, shoot me a pic of the tank/welder cart that I see in the background. I've got a 300cf tank also and I'm looking for ideas for a cart. TiA

It's basically this one from HF.
McMark
Uh oh. head_hurts_kr.gif Brandon @ Altissimo Paint talked me into putting my car up on the rotisserie....

Project creep? What's that? busted.gif
Mike Bellis
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 6 2012, 05:41 PM) *

Uh oh. head_hurts_kr.gif Brandon @ Altissimo Paint talked me into putting my car up on the rotisserie....

Project creep? What's that? busted.gif

I guess I'm not the only one who thinks your 914 should be something that people envy. Like a rolling business card for the OC. Brandon is a good friend. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 6 2012, 06:23 PM) *
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

agree.gif

That, or it never happened ...
chowtime.gif
Chris Pincetich
No side-markers, antennae or side mirrors?
blink.gif
Those awkward bits give the 914 its true character beerchug.gif

My $0.02 - focus on the TIV turbo and getting it on the road ASAP. If you go to another AX race you will want to tear into your suspension to "fix" any and all driver errors. Tackle the suspension details after you achieve second-gear turbo burnouts beerchug.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 5 2012, 04:23 PM) *

Once you get the airbox and the glove box door re-installed your half finished. happy11.gif Hey Mark, shoot me a pic of the tank/welder cart that I see in the background. I've got a 300cf tank also and I'm looking for ideas for a cart. TiA

Here's mine. My first welding project.
McMark
My 914 is officially stripped. The only things left bolted on are the hinge brackets for the lids. Pulled all the wires, hoses, grommets, speed nuts, etc. Just a bare shell, same as it was almost 40 years ago. drooley.gif I'm glad I went this far.

Is this weird?
Steve
We need a bumper sticker that says "Have you hugged your 914 today"
Mark has!!!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 12 2012, 06:03 PM) *

My 914 is officially stripped. The only things left bolted on are the hinge brackets for the lids. Pulled all the wires, hoses, grommets, speed nuts, etc. Just a bare shell, same as it was almost 40 years ago. drooley.gif I'm glad I went this far.

Is this weird?

That's funny because you and I had a conversation about how fully stripped restoration was just not your thing. I think you need to do this though... Your car should be a reflection of what you can do with a 914. ANYTHING people can imagine.

By the way, I love that picture! I laughed out loud... lol-2.gif
jersey914
Awesome picture Mark!

beerchug.gif
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 19 2008, 12:54 AM) *

Hey, some of us are still working... tongue.gif

The motor is pretty much clean. Certainly not obsessively clean, but there are some places you just can't get to on an assembled motor.

Started cleaning the transmission. It's soaking in cleaner now and it's going on a trip to the car wash tomorrow.

I welded my new trunk hinge pivots and the painted the back side.

that looks a LOT better. nice cleaning job!
Gint
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 12 2012, 07:03 PM) *

Is this weird?

Yes. No. Wait... it's supposed to be wierd? rolleyes.gif Normal people might think so.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 12 2012, 06:03 PM) *

Is this weird?

Only if you are not wearing an ankle bracelet mandated by the court.
Elliot Cannon
Not weird until you stuck out your tongue and licked the sail panel. happy11.gif lol-2.gif
Elliot Cannon
You masked off the mural on the door, right?
ConeDodger
Who wants to help me blast this thing in the OC parking lot? C'mon! headbang.gif
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 12 2012, 07:03 PM) *

Is this weird?

The car? No...
Chris H.
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 12 2012, 10:57 PM) *

You masked off the mural on the door, right?

Yeah does this mean the pin striping is gone? WTF.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.