Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hold The Phone! I'm working on MY CAR!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
markb
Depends, do you know what color it's going to be? Do you want the car on the road in this decade?

av-943.gif

Choose #2. biggrin.gif
greenie
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 8 2009, 04:05 PM) *

More work... months later. dry.gif Engine shelf is in and all the holes in the firewall are welded up.

I'm waffling between
1. being thorough and cleaning everything in the engine bay, stripping the paint, and having it all done up nice.
2. being quick and just spray painting everything and dealing with real paint later.

I should probably pick #2... right? confused24.gif

Maybe create #1.5

Sears sells cheap sandblasters ( under $50.00 ), then off to your local paint supply store, they can special mix up rattle cans for you with the exact color, not super cheap but it will look very nice in the engine compartment.

Keep up the great work!

r_towle
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 8 2009, 09:05 PM) *

More work... months later. dry.gif Engine shelf is in and all the holes in the firewall are welded up.

I'm waffling between
1. being thorough and cleaning everything in the engine bay, stripping the paint, and having it all done up nice.
2. being quick and just spray painting everything and dealing with real paint later.

I should probably pick #2... right? confused24.gif

No, because you will want to show how thorough a job you did when you sell it...
It is a customers car...you are just borrowing right now...

Rich
pete-stevers
If you think you are not going to mod that compartement further, take the time do a good prep, primer and then paint...
if not then resort to option two...
ConeDodger
Do it right. We both know that you spend hours practicing dance moves in that big new shop of yours... Give up. You are never going to play Patrick Swaze's part in Dirty Dancing 2! Take that time you normally practice and put it into your car... poke.gif
McMark
I finally finished the one thing that started off this whole madness. lol-2.gif
The new rear trunk pivots are in. I bought stock reproductions, then TIG welded the nut boss to the 'frame'. The welds that came on the parts were obviously crap. One of my TIG welds came out better than the other. dry.gif Once the welds cooled, I used some sandpaper on glass to smooth out the face, since the hinge will pivot on that face, and any 'boogers' will cause wear and could cause future damage.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Then I drilled the holes for the rosette welds and painted the back side of the bracket (since you won't be able to get paint back there later). To weld them in I attach the hinges to the lid with the bolts in the middle of their adjustment, and set everything into place. The I line up the gaps as much as possible and use masking tape along the gaps to help hold everything in place. Then using shims I brace the lid up to the correct vertical height. Getting this part right is THE MOST IMPORTANT, since you won't be able to adjust it later. Then ZAP! welder.gif I used power C and wire feed 5.5 on my Lincoln WeldPak 100 with bi-mix gas for the welding.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Now I can make the final gap adjustments as necessary.
JRust
Excellent Mark! Definately nice to spend a little time on your own car. Car is looking good shades.gif
McMark
Time to update the ol' progress thread. Some of these things have been done for a little while, but I just finished up the brakes today.

I got a full set of PMB calipers and a quick-convert five lug setup. I'm now running boxster 'snowflake' 16" wheels all around.

I got the battery tray welded in, and all the holes in the firewall closed up.

I also pulled my pedal cluster for a rebuild. When I went to bleed the brakes awhile back, the front seal finally gave out, so it leaked all the brake fluid in the reservoir out into the footwell, and from there it dripped out onto the ground (notice the kitty litter). So I needed to pull the cluster just to clean everything up. So why not blast it, powdercoat it, and fill it with bronze bushings. cool.gif

Oh, and I ordered rebuild kits for my carbs today. They're be here Friday.
Mike Bellis
This car going to make it to WCR 2010?
McMark
I'm tryin'! If it is, it'll most certainly be in a thrown together state. wacko.gif
Dr Evil
Fly me out early and I will finish it for you wink.gif
VaccaRabite
Erics calipers are SO money!

Zach
EdwardBlume
Mark, its good to see you cranking on that thing... let me know if you need anything... beer.gif
Katmanken
Hey Mark,

I got a dumb question. When you set up and weld your rear trunk pivot, and attach the torsion springs, have you ever had the torsion springs force the trunk vertically and arch it in the middle?

I'm talking about a lift of 3/16 of an inch or so at the hinge attach area....
McMark
Can't say that I have... confused24.gif
McMark
Just about finished bleeding the brakes. One more time around the car tomorrow. Hopefully no more bubbles. Feeling pretty firm, but I want it 100% firm.

I'm thinking about welding in a MC brace as well. Damn thing is so flexy. Actually, that would make a good before/after video. idea.gif
r_towle
Dont ever touch that rear trunk lid...its art.

Rich
McMark
Here's the brake flex video. I had forgotten just how CRAZY the floor flex is. Yikes!

Time for welder.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUdPmitJ9XQ
Root_Werks
That is crazy!

I haven't ever actually seen the brake flex before. Always knew about it, never seen it though. sad.gif
EdwardBlume
Yikes is right... so that's the "play" I can feel...
bugsy0
So, what's the best repair - scab on a donut shaped patch around the area where the MC mounts?
McMark
Check out this thread.

After a bunch of R&D today, I saw what Racer Chris has available for sale and his setup really looks like the best solution I've seen. Adding more metal on the body doesn't seem like it will be effective to me, after seeing the kinds of forces involved.
McMark
I can't believe I started this thread FOUR years ago. Holy cow! yikes.gif

One of my employees decided last night to spontaneously install the engine and transmission back into my car. As a few of you know, I have been working on a turbo engine for my car and we were talking yesterday about how I should pull all that off, and set it on the shelf and throw some carbs on the engine to get it running. Apparently that inspired him. So he did most of the work and then today after working on customer projects, we finished up the installation and all the necessary bits to get it back to running condition. There are still a few pieces to complete (back window, wiring tail lights, etc) but it's self-motivating. boldblue.gif mueba.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8aeKduJrXU
LarryR
VERY cool!! beerchug.gif
seanery
We need a Like button! thumb3d.gif
JimN73
I saw the car Sunday morning. Not only was there no engine, the car was dirty, too.

Good thing to listen to your employees every now and then.

Jim
ConeDodger
Now to blow up that motor! SVR is having an autocross this coming Saturday at Mather. Go sign up!!! biggrin.gif driving.gif
McMark
Gotta get the registration up to date first. wink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ May 28 2012, 07:54 PM) *

Gotta get the registration up to date first. wink.gif

You've got 4 days! biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
beerchug.gif
Lennies914
piratenanner.gif
JStroud
Nice, was wondering if that thing would ever move again, seemed to be becoming a permanent fixture in your shop. Great to see it going piratenanner.gif driving.gif

Can you believe it, McMark owns a running 914, I guess that means I need to start working on my house.....nah

So does this mean the turbos up for sale?? poke.gif

Jeff
r_towle
Mark,
I think my car has sat as long as yours...maybe longer.
I spent the weekend rebuilding a motor, soup to nuts and got it installed last night.
Its on the lift, all the underbody parts are clean and painted...ready to install.
Just trying to get some shorty manifolds now....
Almost on the road again.

Its got a long list of stuff to do, but its all fun stuff to work on finally.

rich

Dave_Darling
I suppose you could take that blue car I spotted in the video out to play. Assuming it has a battery hold-down...

--DD
McMark
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 29 2012, 10:18 AM) *

I suppose you could take that blue car I spotted in the video out to play. Assuming it has a battery hold-down...

--DD

How about YOU take that blue car out to play. av-943.gif
RoadGlue
Congrats Mark!
McMark
Here are a few details...

I installed the 1.7 mentioned previously in this thread and used the carbs that I originally bought 3 years ago to do exactly this setup. That was before I decided to side-track myself. The carb setup is a pair of 34PDSIT carbs and linkage from a 72-74 Type 2, which came with a Type 4 engine. So this was a bolt on installation, although I did have to fabricate a throttle cable mount and a unique 'barrel nut' to clamp the throttle cable to the linkage.

I'm actually quite interested to see how these carbs feel once I get them all tuned in and have the car registered and drivable.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(McMark @ May 29 2012, 10:24 AM) *

Damn, that's a good idea! Maybe I should... biggrin.gif

--DD
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 29 2012, 04:04 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ May 29 2012, 10:24 AM) *

Damn, that's a good idea! Maybe I should... biggrin.gif

--DD

agree.gif Why don't you take that BLUE car out to play at McClellan AFB this weekend for the Wheels and Wings Autocross! This is epic! There hasn't been autocrossing at McClellan in 10 years or more and it is the best surface you can imagine! driving.gif
McMark
Okay, we took a right turn. av-943.gif

The carbs were WAY off, leaky and I didn't want to rebuild them and start ordering a mess of jets and carb parts just to make them work right. Plus, it's no surprise that I've gotten a little eager to drive my car now. So we pulled the carbs and patched together an FI setup from parts that were laying around the shop. Got everything converted last night, but the two fuel pumps I had handy were leaking and wouldn't push fuel into the rails, even though I could hear it returning fuel to the tank. confused24.gif

So later today I'll try my spare pumps and see if I can find one that works, then find and order some replacement seals for the two bad pumps we tried last night. I've been meaning to put together pump rebuild kits since there seems to be a need.
r_towle
If they have been on the shelf...just give this a try.
It comes from B...so no clue if its true.
Stick one in a bucket of fuel...let it sit over night.
then let it dry out and try it again.

Seems the seals need fuel to stay swollen.

Rich
Chris Pincetich
Classic beerchug.gif
carb troubles cause the swap to FI
in record time!
rolleyes.gif

If there's one piece of 914 advice I luv to share on this board, which was true for me and now true for you, it is "forget the complicated engine project dreams, just plug a 1.7 in and start driving it!" biggrin.gif

Maybe the level of inspiration from driving the 914 again will propel the 1.7 turbo project to completion! Ha ha! oh yeah, I need to call you.....
shades.gif
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(McMark @ May 29 2012, 10:42 AM) *

...and have the car registered and drivable.

piratenanner.gif
McMark
Different fuel pump is in, fuel pressure set, fired up right away and purrs along at 14:1 AFR. Drove it around the parking lot and all looks good! boldblue.gif

Now to get the last few pieces installed, like a back window! yikes.gif

Oh and registration. dry.gif
biosurfer1
QUOTE(McMark @ May 30 2012, 03:06 PM) *

pfft. like either of those things ever did any good biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ May 30 2012, 02:06 PM) *

Different fuel pump is in, fuel pressure set, fired up right away and purrs along at 14:1 AFR. Drove it around the parking lot and all looks good! boldblue.gif

We need a McMark driving with his ponytail blowing through back window hole smiley!
Elliot Cannon
Is this the car with the reallly cool mural on the side? happy11.gif
brant
I need to buy a pump rebuild kit if you do put them together.......

brant
McMark
Back window installed.
Driver's door outer handle fixed (new plastic thingy).
Front ride height lowered to a reasonable level.
Brakes re-bled - Mmmmm firm pedal.

Inching closer.... burnout.gif
JStroud
That's awesome, that thing will be a DD in no time driving.gif

Just remember, if you need help don't be afraid to post a question, that's why were here right poke.gif av-943.gif

Glad to see it coming together
Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.