Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Orange '74 Resto, shot some PAINT!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Gint
That's nice. Good work. I love fresh paint.
championgt1
smilie_pokal.gif Nice!
TravisNeff
I love phoenix red - good job!~
tod914
Looking good Johnathan. You and your Dad need to make some of the get togethers next year.
Spoke
Looks nice. Excellent work.

Have you made any progress on the 2L FI?
budman5201
QUOTE(itsaporsche914 @ Dec 6 2009, 06:28 AM) *

i just got my 76 vette back from the painter. put the bumper on yesterday. my painter was old school and painted 5 coats of single stage corvette red OUTSIDE! I DID NOT KNOW YOU COULD PAINT WITHOUT A BOOTH. he said hes always done it that way and hes done everything from mercedes, 356 and now my vette. the car is so deep and red it looks like it is bleeding. the reason i bought this up is the 2 stage or single stage question. also i read rick 918 posts on this and it seems he likes single stage. just my .02

Hey guys it was great meeting you 2 the other day at the car show on indian bend. Your car turned out great!! Congrats!! Whats under the hood??
Chris
jonferns
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 9 2009, 10:50 PM) *

Looks nice. Excellent work.

Have you made any progress on the 2L FI?

I don't think im going to dig into the d-jet just yet...We want to get this thing on the road soon, so for now its going to run carbs. I have a single weber on there right now, and dual's (40's or 44's?) in the attic, not sure which is gonna be used.
VaccaRabite
How are tyou heating your shop enough to paint right now? Its cold!
Zach
jonferns
The guy at the paint supply place gave me a reducer for colder temps, and my garage was 55-ish degrees inside yesterday, had a small heater running before I shot paint.
Spoke
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Dec 10 2009, 12:12 PM) *

reducer for colder temps

I learned my lesson about the right reducer for the temperature.

I used the same PPG paint as you on my car with the cold-temp reducer. When I painted part of the car the first time the temps were in the 60s and it went on beautifully.

When I painted again after the accident, I used the same reducer and the temps in August were near 100F. I didn't realize at the time what a difference the reducer makes. I could hardly get 1/4 of a bowl of paint on before having to adjust the settings on the gun. I think the paint was setting up in the bowl.

This stuff should go on like glass but in Aug I ended up with all sorts of orange peel.
jonferns
I had no problems spraying it yesterday, went on super smooth with no orange peel, have a few small runs but other than that it had great coverage, and lasted a while in the gun.

Gint
Did I mention I love fresh paint? Nice! smilie_pokal.gif
jonferns
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 10 2009, 05:12 PM) *

Did I mention I love fresh paint? Nice! smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks Mike, this weekend im going to wetsand everything I painted and lay down another coat or two because it is thin in some spots, and I want to get rid of some drips. I also went out and bought a detail paint gun (basically a mini spray gun) to get into some of the harder to reach areas, like around the headlight buckets, in the engine bay, etc. My plan is to have even the hard to see places covered in a coat of phoenix red paint. shades.gif
Gint
How about some details about that mini gun? Pic? For that matter, what gun are you using to this point? I'm actually considering buying a gun and dabbling with some sprayin'. I have some furniture cabinets to do first, but I'd like to get into some automotive primer at least.
jonferns
My main gun is a craftsman HVLP gravity feed gun that I got from Sears, it was around $130 a few months ago. It is an awesome gun, and has given me consistent results, it isn't a $400 devilbliss gun but for my purposes its fine. The gun that I bought today is from Harbor Freight, neat little mini gravity feed gun, will be the perfect thing to paint all those hard to reach nooks and crannies.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
Fantastic work, Jonathan! Threads like this keep me inspired!

QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 10 2009, 05:32 PM) *

How about some details about that mini gun? Pic? For that matter, what gun are you using to this point? I'm actually considering buying a gun and dabbling with some sprayin'. I have some furniture cabinets to do first, but I'd like to get into some automotive primer at least.

I am in the same boat. I wanted something that would work for both woodworking and auto paints. The guy at the paint shop sold me on a 2 gun Divilbliss kit for around $160. One gun for top coats, and the other is for primer. He was pretty up front that they are not the greatest, but not bad for the money, and most importantly, you can get parts for them. Have not used them yet, but hoping to do some wainscoting over the week of Christmas.

My worry is on the air supply side. I have a 6hp/26gal compressor, and I am not sure it is up to it. Wondering if I can somehow run it in conjunction with my portable, maybe by using a T. I can put the regulator on the gun.

Jonathan, what are your compressor specs?
jonferns
I have a craftsman 20-something gallon compressor, i'll check for sure tomorrow.
al weidman
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 10 2009, 06:32 PM) *

Fantastic work, Jonathan! Threads like this keep me inspired!

QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 10 2009, 05:32 PM) *

I am in the same boat. I wanted something that would work for both woodworking and auto paints. The guy at the paint shop sold me on a 2 gun Divilbliss kit for around $160. One gun for top coats, and the other is for primer. He was pretty up front that they are not the greatest, but not bad for the money, and most importantly, you can get parts for them. Have not used them yet, but hoping to do some wainscoting over the week of Christmas.

My worry is on the air supply side. I have a 6hp/26gal compressor, and I am not sure it is up to it. Wondering if I can somehow run it in conjunction with my portable, maybe by using a T. I can put the regulator on the gun.

Jonathan, what are your compressor specs?

You're 6hp will work just fine. A 3hp with a 5 gallon tank will even work as long as you don't try to paint the whole car without letting up. Al. santa_smiley.gif
jonferns
Yep, I have no problems with my compressor, it keeps up and lasts a while before it has actually has to kick in, and I never feel a drop in pressure.
jonferns
So I went back and did some light sanding to get rid of some drips, and resprayed to get it perfect, looks great now.
MDG
Go Jonathan, go! Looking great. And may I compliment you on your color choice biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Cupomeat
piratenanner.gif
I love it!

Congrats and orange is the best color for 914s...
jonferns
Mike, nice teener!
MDG
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Dec 14 2009, 12:41 PM) *

Mike, nice teener!

back at ya'.

You'll love L32k; one of those colours that changes moods with the light from a nice warm red to an all out orange. Good luck on the rest of your shoot.

m.
jonferns
Thanks and happy holidays everyone santa_smiley.gif
jonferns
Got some work done on the teener early in the day before the Christmas festivities. I degreased the lower firewall and undercoated it along with the suspension ears and engine mounting points. Made sure to get extra coverage under both "hell-hole" areas. I used 3M Pro undercoating, sold at autozone. The brake proportioning valve, came out to be replaced with a brake tee sold by Jwest. I also unmasked the engine bay wiring, since im done painting in there, and started laying it out. Some pics...

Merry Christmas everyone! santa_smiley.gif

Click to view attachment
jonferns
Here's another pic, didn't fit in my last post

Click to view attachment
dakotaewing
Jonathan -
Before you spray the the body, do yourself a big favor and put the car on jack stands, take your Fuchs off the car and put them inside your house. Cleaning the over spray is a bitch, compared to just taking the wheels off...
Just my .02...

By the way, the car looks great -

TE
jonferns
Thanks Thom, actually the car is up on jackstands right now and the wheels are off. Im going to be refinishing them after the car is painted.
VaccaRabite
Any updates to this thread?

Zach
jonferns
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 22 2010, 07:28 AM) *

Any updates to this thread?

Zach

Unfortunately, I haven't worked on it all summer. We're in the process of moving so alot of stuff from our old house is packed into that garage, and the orange 914 is totally covered. Once it gets moved to the new place then i'll have all 3 914's in one spot and at home, making it much more convenient to work on. Im hoping sometime mid-winter to have the new garage ready.
Silvia S.
get ready to start working again!
piratenanner.gif welder.gif
jonferns
Im ready, whenever you're willing to lend a hand! wink.gif

Gotta clean out the garage first
barada
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Feb 28 2011, 11:29 PM) *

Im ready, whenever you're willing to lend a hand! wink.gif

Gotta clean out the garage first

Got any updates? I was following as I plan on painting my own car and was watching your results.

Phillip
jonferns
Sorry, no updates sad.gif Busy with school, and building a new garage to move the 914's to. Hoping to get back to finishing the car in the coming months...stay tuned bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.