Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The General says "they gotta go".
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
greenie
Yeah I know they are "factory flares" and yeah they were "professionally welded" and all but.....

The General can't get the groceries through the center of the garage because those "Fender Flare thingies" are sticking so far out.

In the quest to keep her happy I guess I need to cut them off & weld the originals back on. ( photo attached)

What I do for this woman. headbang.gif

Any advice on a nice procedure is appreciated. welder.gif

Johny Blackstain
blink.gif Cut them off? I would consider another work/storage location before I ever cut those pretty things off, but I am single.
Katmanken
Sounds like a time to replace the General.

Kenalwayshelpful
quadracerx
OH MY GOD....LOL I sure wish you didnt have to do that...seems like the person who installed the flares did a nice job....

What are you doing with the flares once you remove them? Id like to buy them if you decide to sell....even though I wish you wouldnt cut them off.....

Let me know...

Steve
r_towle
replace the whole quarter panel, its easier to get the lines right.
Just drill out all the spot welds and apply a new panel.

Sell the whole rear quarters.

Rich
LowGT
I'd tell the General that maybe HER factory body flares need to be removed... then I'd run like hell.
yarin
Park closer to the other side. climb out the roof, who cares! don't cut em off!! thats rediculous. chair.gif
greenie
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 9 2008, 08:56 AM) *

replace the whole quarter panel, its easier to get the lines right.
Just drill out all the spot welds and apply a new panel.

Sell the whole rear quarters.

Rich

The fronts too???
greenie
QUOTE(LowGT @ Nov 9 2008, 09:00 AM) *

I'd tell the General that maybe HER factory body flares need to be removed... then I'd run like hell.

av-943.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(greenie @ Nov 9 2008, 12:02 PM) *

QUOTE(LowGT @ Nov 9 2008, 09:00 AM) *

av-943.gif

agree.gif , av-943.gif This is going to be a funny thread.
r_towle
The rear quarter panels are "easy" to remove...just alot of spot welds.
Front quarters, well they are also just welded on with loads of spot welds and car be removed...

Honestly they would be worth money if removed completely....
Its alot easier for an amateur welder to install a whole quarter panel with plug welds that are for the most part hidden versus butt welding flares on a car.

Rich
Eric Taylor
you have to keep those! Way to nice! There has to be another way.
r_towle
OOOO
I have an even less painfull way to do this.

Trade tubs with someone.
Seriously. There must be someone out there with a similar condition tub that really wants flares...
Just swap tubs...that would be simple, fast and spark a new life into both of your projects.

Rich
effutuo101
Greenie, maybe we should trade cars. I have a narrow body that I could drop my motor on quick. We swap tires and you will be golden. I get the flared body I want, and you get a narrow body you want. biggrin.gif av-943.gif
smile.gif
rhodyguy
get rid of that car. you can get what you paid for it if not a bit more. take that money and buy the silver 75' 2.0 craig has at camp. it's ready for 5 lugs, bumper conversion done. have that engine guy build you a 6 if you want one, and run a narrow body sleeper. you'll spend a small fortune undoing the flairs. slap.gif did you unload the white car yet?

k
r_towle
See, that may be easier..
Strip all the pieces you want to keep...not sure if you are doing a six or not...but if its a four cylinder, strip it right down to the shell, keep all the suspension etc and just swap tubs.

I can swap out a tub in one long weekend, that includes everything...

Rich
effutuo101
I can do the same and I am local! Come on Greenie, lets trade! I have a 5 lug and turbo tie rods already. I would just have to get some new rims ( I have loaners). If you are putting in a 6 then the motor mount is already welded in.
Why do you go through the garage and not the front door? smile.gif
greenie
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Nov 9 2008, 09:24 AM) *

I can do the same and I am local! Come on Greenie, lets trade! I have a 5 lug and turbo tie rods already. I would just have to get some new rims ( I have loaners). If you are putting in a 6 then the motor mount is already welded in.

You're killng me! My front door latch is a little sticky, it's tough to open with one arm full of groceries. smile.gif
STL914
Put the car on a home made wood dolly and push it to one side of the garage. When you need to work on it, push it back so you have the rom you need.

Or, get rid of that white tail dragger that's also in the way!!
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Nov 9 2008, 09:24 AM) *

This may be the easiest way for both of you. Chris already has his car set up to where you would like it and your car is just where Chris wants his to be.

I just don't know about this whole deal. headbang.gif
effutuo101
biggrin.gif

popcorn[1].gif
brer
don't do it man.
unless its what you want for your car.

deleting flares to allow easier grocery carrying is just not cool.
greenie
QUOTE(brer @ Nov 9 2008, 09:39 AM) *

don't do it man.

I'd like to introduce you to "the General" sometime. smile.gif
jim912928
400 bucks and get a set of those hydraulic lift/rollers...pull in...place rollers around tires...lift..roll the car close to the wall...problem solved!
Todd Enlund
Is it April 1st already?

That's nuts!
greenie
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Nov 9 2008, 09:49 AM) *

Is it April 1st already?

That's nuts!

Close.... this thread has me on the floor.

Some of you guys are waaay to serious. biggrin.gif
JRust
I use the cheap harbor freight piano dolly. They make a small one that is $9.95 on sale. They have a 1500lb rating & they fit just right under your tire. Then you can shove your rig around any way you want. I've also used blocks on top of the dolly to be able to pull the suspension & still move it around as needed.

Greenie you are nuckin futs! You can't remove metal flares. I'm pretty sure the car would plain fall apart should you attempt sucha travesty poke.gif I'd just deal with the whip marks on your back happy11.gif
greenie
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 8 2008, 06:26 PM) *

This is a joke - right?

Uuuuuuuuuuh No. All Lambo's have them. (where've you been hidding PG?):

Later (75-76) 914's have them as well... quite restrictive.

Click to view attachment

Eric's muffler bearing got me thinking this morning....
sww914
Your balls are next. She'll load you in the back of your minivan and take you to the vet and get you fixed.
Then she'll start dressing you up and doing your hair like a doll. After you accept that, it's Pageant time, baby.
Take a stand now or you'll be wearing a dress for life.
cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
Eric_Shea
The General can't get the groceries through the center of the garage because those "Fender Flare thingies" are sticking so far out.

Yur kidding right? confused24.gif
boxstr
Get those things removed before you ruin your life by making your wife slide by one more time. DO IT!!!
CCLINFLAREFORTHEDRAMA
ConeDodger
Let's see... We have all seen The General in a bikini and that weighs heavily in her favor on this. For all the work it will take to remove those factory flares it might be "cheap" to just order groceries on line and have them delivered through the front door. Just an idea...
greenie
QUOTE(sww914 @ Nov 9 2008, 10:08 AM) *

Your balls are next. She'll load you in the back of your minivan and take you to the vet and get you fixed.
Then she'll start dressing you up and doing your hair like a doll. After you accept that, it's Pageant time, baby.
Take a stand now or you'll be wearing a dress for life.
cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

To late...where was this advice about twenty years ago? headbang.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 9 2008, 01:21 PM) *

Let's see... We have all seen The General in a bikini and that weighs heavily in her favor on this.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
KELTY360
Seems like you're arguing about 6 inches.

idea.gif .......seems like you should have settled that years ago. shades.gif

I can offer some help for the time being. Not using a set of these at present:

Click to view attachment

You can even use them with jackstands! Come and get 'em...you can thank me later for saving your tub.....and your marriage.

xoxoxo to the General. wub.gif

(that last part may not work, but I had to try) bye1.gif
greenie
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Nov 9 2008, 10:31 AM) *

Let's see... We have all seen The General in a bikini and that weighs heavily in her favor on this.

Do you mean this pic???
effutuo101
The argument is always about 6 inches....... and please, no pictures. happy11.gif
sww914
Here ya go!
bperry
So why not just carry the groceries for her?

ConeDodger
QUOTE(greenie @ Nov 9 2008, 10:36 AM) *

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Nov 9 2008, 10:31 AM) *

Do you mean this pic???

eEeYePaaa! rolleyes.gif What were we talking about? Oh yes, cutting off the flares. Whatever she wants...
KELTY360
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Nov 9 2008, 11:37 AM) *

The argument is always about 6 inches....... and please, no pictures. happy11.gif

agree.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
brer
if it was me i would just offer to carry her groceries
and keep the flares.

smile.gif
LarryR
QUOTE(greenie @ Nov 9 2008, 09:42 AM) *

QUOTE(brer @ Nov 9 2008, 09:39 AM) *

don't do it man.

I'd like to introduce you to "the General" sometime. smile.gif

this is why I dont allow anyone in the garage. no good can come of it. My wife has used the front door since day one smash.gif As of december that will be 15 years.

However, I can say without a doubt if she said my flares go or she goes... well its been nice knowing ya happy11.gif

There is a really funny country song that addresses just this issue.
LarryR
QUOTE(brer @ Nov 9 2008, 10:45 AM) *

if it was me i would just offer to carry her groceries
and keep the flares.

smile.gif

av-943.gif
Johny Blackstain
051103-stupid4.gif
Lou W
I think a President can overrule a General. idea.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Lou W @ Nov 9 2008, 11:57 AM) *

I think a President can overrule a General. idea.gif

Ever hear of a coup d'etat?

Regime Change
Rusty
Don't you have another door she from which she can enter the house? blink.gif

(Remember: They make more new women every year... but no new 914s.)
greenie
QUOTE(Rusty @ Nov 9 2008, 11:15 AM) *

Don't you have another door she from which she can enter the house? blink.gif

(Remember: They make more new women every year... but no new 914s.)

You Rusty are a wise man! beer.gif
DNHunt
Yep, you need to re-engineer the house. 914 world work party at Greenie's to build a grocery door. Couple cases a beer, some brats, a door, some 2X4s some nails and we can fix it. Oh ya, Bondo just in case. There has to be a solution that doesn't involve cutting of the flares.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.