Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wallys914/8 Conversion and Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
wallys914
So the Porsche Gods were with me this week, so I started my new job all is good in Wally Land!

Wow, times I get lucky I GET lucky!

So Today I got everything From Scott. ThanX Scott....

So the Project will be moving forward as planned and ahead further than planned thanks to Scott.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

WOW I need to clean my garage, this is after 3 hours of sorting and looking through boxes, figuring what I need and what I could part with. I can't Part with much! LOL
So.Cal.914
I could come and help you clean out that garage Chris, I'll bring my truck. biggrin.gif

Congrats on the new Job.

Thanks again.
wallys914
So here are some pics of the RH kit on the motor, I know I need the 90's for the water pump, hose, some clean correct hardware, and a water pump gasket.

A couple of questions:

1 Is there anything that anyone can see that I am missing besides the above?

2 The water pump does not have a gasket on it, are these easy to come by or difficult and has anyone run into this?

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Andyrew
Awesome build! Looks like you sorted your cage issue out! Also your welds have greatly improved since the start!

Good job!

computers4kids
The water pump is a big block V-8 Chrysler water pump. The gasket should be a Fel-Pro 11730.

You may have an issue with the front of the driver's side valve cover hitting the firewall behind the driver's seat. Very tight. Mine is extra tight because I am also running an engine pad. A lot of the guys have to dent the wall in a bit. I chose to run a mid height valve cover.

Before you install the motor, decide how you going to time the motor and rig-up a new TDC mark that you will use that will be more easily visible either below or above the engine. Some time it through a trunk hole using the flywheel mark.

Look at some of the V-8 theads on throttle linkage. Some buy a longer cable and run it under the engine and up the front on the driver's side...some even up the passenger's side. Renegade has you use the stock cable and come up the firewall. It works fine but it's quite a sharp turn both upwards and again to face the carb arm.

Good Luck,
wallys914
Any one know where I can get the water pump 90 degree fittings above, seems like mine are not clean enough. I know I saw them on someones post but cant remeber where or who.... Damn im Forgetful.... WTF.gif

Thanks Andrew

Thank you for the WP gasket info Mark...
wallys914
So its been awhile!

I got Scott's Built Trans from Thomas! Pretty Aint it! 1st locked out with a H gear and the itemediate plate! icon_bump.gif smilie_pokal.gif

IPB Image

I also stopped by Gann to get the 66E 3/4" water pump fittings and I am Sad to say they do not make them anymore. I ended up with the 1" 86E Fittings, Figured Bigger and Cooling should be 2 words that work well together. Gann Folks were the best and very helpful, I wish them all the Best! flag.gif beerchug.gif

Well we are moving soon and I will have the car back to my place and working on getting it together in No Time! Next step is to get the Motor to a dyno!

wallys914
So its been a while since i moved and got the car to the new place, i finally got to go through everything I purchased from scott, and I really got the deal of a century. So far I have on the:

Front

cleaned and painted
added the Nitrious Bottle
911 struts and Brakes,
added the 19mm MC,
Added the Radiator,
molded together the front valance and bumper.
added the new steering wheel
fixed the front suspension
bought harnesses

Rear

cleaned and painted the rear trunk cleaned the engine compartment
added the 5 lug rear arms
added new bushings
added bilstein shocks on 200# springs
did the trailing arm stiffening
and pieced together the rear sway bar

Bought

Nitrious kit,
500 hp axles
last of the renegade stuff
all the v8 goodies i needed
rockers
and so much more

I still have alot todo but I have the money i need to finish it. So i just have to find the time to put it all back together.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Zaney
Love the GT bumper and valance combo!

Will this opening provide enough airflow to the radiator?

I would like to go this route with my suby conversion.

Looks great! beerchug.gif

Nate
wallys914
The Car moved on it's own will today! piratenanner.gif Forward and Back about 10 feet either way, Yeah!!!! piratenanner.gif

The Gas tank is out getting welded, cleaned in/out and painted, the engine runs, the starter starts and the NOS isn't hooked up yet.

The Brakes need bleeding, I need the tank to get back, I need to install my windshield, and 4th and 5th have to be found in the mysterious linkage issue.

All and all I would say I'm ready to sell it...LOL

Progress shots:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

wallys914
Today I took her out on her maiden voyage and made it 5 miles before the Bottom end of the motor took a post-2-1117899824.gif ....

Some popping though the carb, some loud banging from the drivers side bank... idea.gif Tearing into it tomorrow and will start with a fresh bottom end. That's what i get when a buddy tells you that the motor was able to "just drop right in" I will post the carnage here....

Here's some pics of the infamous tow truck and the 914 that was on it today....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
TravisNeff
Sorry to hear about the enigne troubles. They always look majestic riding upon the mighty chariot...
wallys914
So it's been a while, the car got all the bugs worked out, I put about 2000 miles on it, It got new seats, the GT grill installed everything was perfect and running fine until the axle (Drag Racing) incident. The car has gone under the knife, the clutch got rebuilt, it was slipping due to the wrong throw out bearing. I ordered all new brake parts, all new bearings, brake cooling kit, new 250# rear coilovers, welded up the axle snubs and half shafts. I will start the rebuild this weekend and hopefully have it at Cars and Coffee for 4th of july weekend.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I will start posting progress again over my vacation that's coming in 1 week.
Andyrew
drunk.gif
aktion035.gif
wallys914
I guess I never posted any progress, all new parts got installed with new seats and the car was running like a dream, and then the insanity happened. A head gasket failed so the motor came out to get built then I decided to upgrade the entire top end, and then decided to do a new cage and get rid of my dinky shitty weak ass cage ....

So here it was before the motor took a stromberg.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

and here it is now 2 days before it leaves to get the cage installed... piratenanner.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

wallys914
And now its back from the shop motor in, and away it goes back to the shop for finishing touches...

1" 5/8 Tubing and 3/16 plate for the longs, all tig welded, the seats still have to be mounted along with some extras...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Andyrew
Awesome stuff!!!!

I like the treatment to the longs, However I think the strength there lies in the vertical portion of the longs and it could have been stronger if that was reinforced instead of the horizontal portion. Regardless, the cage provides all the strength you need in this instance and that reinforcement is just "extra"

Are you going to triangulate the rear sway bar backet to prevent flex? Or are you removing the rear sway? 250 AND a rear sway is quite a bit of rear spring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.