Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo question.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
I'm pondering how the hell I keep a speedo when I go to a 915 tranny that was setup for electronic speedo? I've seen an article on a 915 conversion for an older 911 and they welded a speedo drive gear to the pinion shaft, but I don't know if this is feasable when using a Wevo tail piece?? Has anybody BTDT??? I guess maybe I'll need to learn to live without a speedo, but it would seem really cheesy to me to have that big non-functioning gauge in my face all the time mad.gif

I've seen a few really nice 3.x sixers with 915s and I imagine someone has figured this out. To run the electronic setup after flipping the R&P I would think I'd have to mod the case side cover for a sensor since the flip puts the emitter on the removable side of the case???

What do the "hotrod" guys do? Is there a aftermarket emitter for the axle or something? They usually have some trick aftermrket setups for street rod stuff.
Dave_Darling
If the 915 is the cable-speedo type, then no issues.

If it's the electric-speedo type, then run the wires to the speed sensor and use the speedo from that year 911.

The rest is details. Non-trivial details to be sure....

--DD
ss6
Tranny experts keep me honest here, but I believe a 915 with a flipped ring gear will not drive the stock electronic speedo pickup since the magnets that trigger the pickup are on the ring gear, which is now on the *other* side of the case.

I'd still suggest using an electronic speedo instead of recreating the mechanical drive nightmare. Here's how:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...c%20speedo&st=0
East coaster
John........Schweeeet, That's just what I was looking for! I've been lurking on a 911 speedo on evil bay, but wanted to see if it was feasible.

THANKS!! pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.