Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's your 914 project this winter?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
naro914
So I started going through Huey and getting into the details of where I want him to end up....then i looked across the garage and thought of all the things I need to do to Papa Smurf before the end of March (Road Atlanta Club Race)....

so, off the top of my head:

Huey:
-Swap new 2.7 engine for current 2.5 done...YAY!!!
-Fix engine leaks - valve covers, chain tensioner, something around the cylinders that worries me a bit, etc. well, not so done...still leaks
-swap engine sheet metal from 2.5 to 2.7 done
-fix oil line leaks done
-fix rear trunk hing done
-install fuel filter done
-Wevo SS trans mounts done
-fix front front steering rack bushings done
-replace stock rear sway bar with weltmeister not doing
-new shifter bushings done
-new rotors done
-new brake padsdone
-brake bias adjuster
-re-wire engine compartment for easy plug and play wires
-replace fuse panel with new blade fuses
-touch up various paint blemishesdone
-refinsh 2 Fuchs - Al Reed not doing this year
-redo dash face
-new steering wheeldone
-fix glove box (don't ask)
-polybronze front bushings, new ball joints, new tie rod endsdone
-GT style carpet?
....that's about for now until I go look at it again tomorrow...

For Papa Smurf:
-finish scraping floor and interior door "tar"
-re-duct front oil cooler to wheel wells
-lexan side windows for travel
-fix front spoiler (from my agricultural excursion at VIR)
-Limited slip not doing this year
-replace 1st gear done
....I'm sure I'm missing something.

So...these should keep me busy this winter.... What's your projects?
championgt1
Damn, that's quite the list. I just need to repaint my gas tank, and put it back in the car, replace all the fuel lines and filters, new battery and drive.
slow914
I was hoping to have my car torn down and well on its way already but without another car my project is still a daily driver, the winter plan is still so get the car painted, possible new floors, 911 front suspension, and a 2270/side shifter running and ready to head down to the WCR by may, wish me luck hahahaha
Chris Pincetich
Hey I was just tinking about this beerchug.gif
With a 914 budget of $0-$100 I want to
1) Learn and perform alignment
2) Raise ride height and grind for more neg camber
3) Re-do interior dash area with nice dash and gauge rings on my shelf
4) Re-do interior strip floors and see how bad rust is
5) Re-do interior strip back and do felt back pad while trying to keep interior light
6 5-point harnesses if I can scrap up more $$ for them and kirkey seats

2008 I rebuilt the 901 and all suspension with needle bearing bushings smilie_pokal.gif
Raced once, drove around town 5 times unsure.gif rolleyes.gif laugh.gif
I want to put more miles on the 914 in 2009! beerchug.gif
pete-stevers
well so far this winter i have welded on flares with dan roots help
i have just finished the body work( have never done body work before)
taped off the car for painting
now i have to primer paint and clear.
repaint centers on my fuches
fit
then
sand blast a pair of trailing arms to replace the modified ones in the car
so i can hook up ebrakes
i would like to make WCR this year, instead of haveing her on jackstands
dkjens
'73 914 w. 911SC front suspension and brakes all around.
1. Re-install Chevy SB - mild 283 and stock side shifter
2. Install 9" and 11" GT flares
3. Get new sticker so I can run it on streets again
4. Work all bugs out of her
5. Do a million hours of body work and prep for paint
6. Decide on paint, and paint
7. Get all new rubber mouldings all around $$$$$$ and install
8. Source other 283 or 302 and plan high HP/rev engine rebuild
9. Source parts for 901 tranny upgrade and higher gears

Ought to be to hot to do anything after that.
familienauto
Drive it every dry day! Last year roads were clear on Christmas so out we went for a spin with a lot of warm clothing on.
craig downs
Mine has been a on going project about 2 years solid now and thought it would take only bout 6 months I just want it done.
Its getting close the engine 90% reassembled and the car is almost together after being a shell. Lots of the little things to do and be glad when its done.
MrKona
1. Get my 2.0 engine build completed and installed already! (Oh so close...)
1a. Powder coat all sheetmetal.
1b. New rubber seals in engine compartment.

2. Five lug conversion with Fuchs, 16x6 wheels, 1972 911 front struts, brakes.
2a. Repaint struts.
2b. Rebuild front calipers
2c. Have Eric drill rear hubs for five lug.
2d. Acquire tires (Already have the wheels).

3. Install a used stock muffler I just acquired. Needs a media blasting and repaint to original factory gray.

4. Drive my car in 2009. driving.gif
PeeGreen 914
A lot... I will have a thread with everything I will be doing. So stay tuned biggrin.gif drunk.gif
Todd Enlund
Kill the rust monster!

Front and rear floor pans
* while the pan is out:
-- Clutch cable tube repair
-- New steel fuel lines
Upper and lower wheelhouse
Rt engine mount ear
Rt suspension console
Rt engine tray
Engman inner long kit
Battery support and tray
watsonrx13
This is my list for this winter: shades.gif

Red '74 2.0 - link to my website
- Paint exterior done
- Install side windows done
- Complete installation of interior done
- Rebuild 2.0l FI engine

Creamsicle '74 - link to my webside
- Install front floor
- Repair both rear fenders
- Repair engine compartment
- Repair exterior longs
- Repair front trunk area done
- Repair gas tank area
- Repair rear trunk area
- Remove and clean up front and rear suspension

-- Rob
carr914
Start re-assembly of 914-6 #673. Paint shop told me yesterday, I'll have it back in Febuary.

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

naro914
I stood under Huey a few minutes ago and my list just got longer....
blitZ
I have the same list from last winter, which didn't get completed. rolleyes.gif
6freak

My list is short ...put it on dollys cover it and walk away tell spring bye1.gif
andys
My car is stripped down to the tub, and all the inside surfaces have been painted allowing me to start assembly. With the wheels on the ground and the engine installed, I can start exterior bodywork; got to be ready for WCR!!

Andys

PanelBilly
Start re-assembly of 914-6 #673. Paint shop told me yesterday, I'll have it back in Febuary.

T.C.

AND WHAT FRIDAY WERE THEY REFERING TO?
thesey914
Done most of what I had planned.

GT Lid
IPB Image

Fit some struts to replace the torsion bars.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

jsayre914
HMMMMMMM. MY LIST...

FIX BATTERY TRAY (LIL WELDING)
REPLACE AND SPRAY FRONT HOOD
PERTRONIX/ PLUGS/ WIRES/ CAP ETC
VALVE JOB
OIL CHANGE
SUPER SOUND SYSTEM INSTALL
NEW TIRES
HEAT
TURBO TIE ROD
NEW BUSHINGS FRONT A-ARM AND SWAY

JEEP BUILD 12V biggrin.gif
thesey914
Also made a cable boot release as I've welded up the boot lock and put a GT style 356 hub badge there.
One day I'll replace the amateurish boot floor repair made by the last owner
IPB Image

IPB Image
stepuptotheMike
I have a whole list of things that I should do to it.... I just can't keep myself from driving it. The weather stays nice so long down here that you have to force yourself to putting it on stands.

Mike
degreeoff
Um.....

-Well I am trying to decide wether or not to re ring the engine as after 500 hard miles I believe I am not seated (blows a lil smoke) Runs like a scat rat so if it aint truly broke need I fix it???

- Pull the engine and re torque the head nuts
- Valve adjust
- Do a leak down to determine the above
- yank the rear wheela and fix the right and left inner fender wells where me tires were rubbing (re spray)

wet sand and buff OR respray another clear coat and do the above.....

Aside from that I am pretty happy unless you have a spare TB diff for free....:-)
J P Stein
Gotta redeck the trailer.
Already lowered the car bout 3/4 inch which means an alignment......
Lighten the thing summore. Do some trickshit to the trans. New tairs
Thas about it.

rick 918-S
Well, mine is in the storage garage. If I can manage to keep the snow out of the front of the OH door I plan to pull it out early and get started.

Pull the new engine and change the lame US cams for the euro "S" set I just scored.

Re-torque the Raceware studs and Cometic head gaskets.

Fix some oil leaks.

Fix my CIS weirdness.

Change out my rear springs.

Add my custom made 4130 anti-sway bars.

Fix my cowl seams once and for all.

Fix the damage I did to the 916 front bumper.

All chassis stiffners.

Adjust my rear brake air gap.

I'm sure there are several other projects that will pop up on this list.

BTW: none of this will get done if I don't finish my friends Mercedes or Sandy's Healey this winter.
bam914
I do not think there is enough space for my list. I am building a 914 for ITB in SCCA. This is the state it is in now. Needs to be ready for Feb 21 Road Atlanta. I have all the parts just need to complete the puzzle. First thing on the list is paint.

Click to view attachment
iamchappy
Resolve my oil leaks once and for all, and get enough clutch to hold.
rusty914
My only goal this winter is to hear her run for the first time & take her around the block driving.gif
SGB
Rick-
will the cam change correct the lifter issue?

Blake-
Feb 21? OMG...
smile.gif
johnnie5
Since you asked...
I just had 195.60 Eagle GT's mounted on my freshly refinished 6J X 15 Fuchs on Wednesday.
I also took my car and all of my 'parts' over to my friend Marks shop the same day.

Parts:
2056 McMark motor
40 Italian Webers
New CB hex linkage, manifolds, filters
New Mallory dizzy and MSD wires from Chris Foley
New MSD 6A module
Almost new condition 2.0 SSi's
New Bursch muffler
Early 911 front struts and rotors
Refurbished PMB calipers
Refurbished PMB trailing arms
New 914/6 rotors
New Bilstein shocks and struts
New Welt 100lb coils
I will be at my buddy Mark's shop at 9am SHARP on Monday to start the project! aktion035.gif

Down the slippery slope I go! beer.gif
shoguneagle
I am moving along assembling my car. Hope to have it ready for the Monterey Historics. What I have to do in very broad scope:
finish installing brake lines and brakes, finish wiring harness install, oil tank and front oil cooler install, engine install, paint prep, paint, door project, install interior, install windshield and rear window, modify engine compartment lid and paint, alignment, and a lot of miscellaneous.
Hope to have all this done by Spring 2009

Steve Hurt
Sleepin
Jeez....loaded question.....

IPB Image

have to part out three, keep the parts I need to get two more running. Get the heads and engine back in the wife's 2.0. Do the brakes on my 1.8, put a 2.0 into my 1.8....and do a 5 lug conversion on my 1.8L..... Seven 914's.....and I have one that runs good. The wife's 2056 should be up soon though.... drunk.gif dry.gif
TravisNeff
Re ring my 1.7 or fix the heads in my 2.0
ericread
Stripping the paint to the metal, some minor body work, and taking it to the paint shop.

Click to view attachment

Since I took this picture I've completed stripping the driver side and rear trunk, removed the front and rear bumpers, removed all turn signals, removed the window trim and radio antenna and removed the windshield wipers. I'll take the rocker panels off tomorrow and strip them seperately.

The last paint job appears to be about 3-4 years ago. I found some bondo that had never hardened. Either too thick or not enough hardening agent.

This all started as a result of paint bubbling on the door panels and rear trunk. The good news - no rust, just a lot of bad paint prep work by the PO. Once I complete the stripping, I am applying a fine layer of filler and sanding to create really straight sides and trunk panels. Then a thin coat of self-etching primer, then off to the paint shop.

My biggest fear - not sanding the side and trunk panels good enough to ensure no rippling appears when the paint shop applies the black paint.

Ah, but that's the fun part!

Eric Read huh.gif
LarryR
for my 70 :

Take to McMarks for battery tray replacement and 6 mount welded in and repaint the hood (rest of paint is excellent OE).

rebuild 2.7 engine I just bought. I am thinking 10.75:1 compression, S cams, twin plug ignition, arp rod bolts in the stock rods, case goes to ollies, heads off to german precision, list is long for the rebuild.

SC front suspension
Rear arms off to PMB
S4 4piston front brakes
944 turbo rear brakes
911 e brake
buy tires for the fuchs I bought
Jury is out on the fuel system carbs or pmo injection
install new dash (maybe ask Mark to do this)
install felt back pad
put carpets and rest of interior back in
send gear box to Dr. Evil for rebuild and maybe 912 gears
23 mm front torsion bars
new adjustable bilstien rear coil overs , springs and shocks
23 mm master cylinder
on and on but I think this will not all be done over the winter will probably creep into spring and first part of summer. Hopefully, I will get enough done to make it to WCR this year.

For the 72:

Maybe nothing this year. It might have to wait to be next winters project.
well, fix the damage from the accident that i had talked about a few weeks back in my bad news thread,

that intails
mods to the front end
getting rid of the pop ups
widening the fenders
custom spoiler
oh and paint (midnight metallic blue)
and all the custom body work that im goin to do with those mods.
and in the process build a 2056 to get me buy until i can get a wrecked boxster and use the engine and tranny from that for my car
and interior and sound system
or just a nice stereo, there is going to be a lot of customizing parts and exhaust and mounts and hmm, i may even think of a roll cage.
not to mention suspension, i need 140lb springs for the rear and a sway bar for the rear.
this is where i want to be a couple years from now. but im planning on doing the body work and paint this winter/spring
effutuo101
new rims, tires, spacers, and exaust are on the short list.
paroxysm
my goal is to finish the wiring and finally fire this sucker up!IPB Image
and now how its starting to lookIPB Image
orthobiz
Umm, nothin'

Car's in the bubble.
Battery's on the trickler.
IPB Image
IPB Image

Paul

drive-ability
QUOTE(bam914 @ Dec 12 2008, 06:14 PM) *

I do not think there is enough space for my list. I am building a 914 for ITB in SCCA. This is the state it is in now. Needs to be ready for Feb 21 Road Atlanta. I have all the parts just need to complete the puzzle. First thing on the list is paint.

Click to view attachment

This is what I am going to do !
Since I have a garage and can make noise now smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
I'm going to strip the car down, add a cage etc, get my electric assist power steering going and make an electric rear spoiler......
Chevota79
I am thinking about pulling the engine, replacing the seals, and fixing the rust under the battery box. I also plan on getting my Toyota up and running and finish the seat mounts and cage, then getting it smogged so I can do a bit of snow wheeling this year.

Josh
rick 918-S
QUOTE(SGB @ Dec 12 2008, 07:41 PM) *

Rick-
will the cam change correct the lifter issue?

Blake-
Feb 21? OMG...
smile.gif

Bill LS6 had the lifter/rocker arm issue. My cam change should reap some real HP gains. driving.gif
rjames
I am halfway through a door panel rebuild and also need to peform a full brake job (rotors, pads, fluid), but our first baby is due in January so no telling when I'll be able to work on the car next. biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
Bob... are you going to fix the plug wire that fell out at the RCR? If so, I am going to be really disappointed. It means that I don't get to laugh at you when you get the stromberg.gif shocked out of you again. biggrin.gif

My list for the winter.....

Get the 3.6 case welded up and bored for the 105mm Nickies.

Assemble the bottom end of my 4.0L Six and test to make sure there are no clearance issues.

Rebuild heads for the 4.0L with oversized new valves and high performance springs.

Get the MFI stacks and throttle bodies rebuilt and bored to 41mm on the bottom and 54mm on the top.

Make adapter plates to use the MFI throttle bodies on the 964 based heads. Include MFI injector port on the adapter.

Make mount for MFI injection pump to use the power steering pump drive on the 964 motor.

Assemble motor.

Build flat fan setup for 964 motor.

Convert G-50 transmission for use in a mid engine app.

Build rear transmission mount.

Alter engine tin for use with the 964 motor.

Install new 4.0L motor in my 914 chassis.

Setup oil cooler plumbing for the 4.0L engine.

Setup custom shift linkage for the G-50 transmission.

Replace pedal box to accomodate hydraulic clutch.

Build heater boxes for 4.0L headers (I hate being cold!)

Install 964 AC unit in place of fresh air blower.

Add AC plumbing and charge AC system.

I may have missed something.....

blink.gif

naro914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 16 2008, 02:07 PM) *

Bob... are you going to fix the plug wire that fell out at the RCR? If so, I am going to be really disappointed. It means that I don't get to laugh at you when you get the stromberg.gif shocked out of you again. biggrin.gif

Yep, that wire pissed me off so much I'm going to replace the whole engine!! I'm going to re-wire everything in the engine compartment for easy plug & play if/when i have to take the engine out again. Build a nice connection block for all the wires to go to. Then when Huey's done, I'll do it with Papa Smurf. Heck, i got all winter. smile.gif
JmuRiz
My 914 project isn't a 914 project per-se.

I am hoping to do the wiring/insulating/lighting on my garage so I can work on my 914 in the future.

I did finally finish my garden shed so now I can get all my dirty tools out and free up space in the garage-house.

naro914
Oh wait...before I can even start on any of this list....I need to get the 2.5 engine back into the black 914 race car to sell it!! While doing that, I'm sure I'll replace a bunch of stuff on it too....so there's ANOTHER whole project to do...

Yay.... headbang.gif
914Mike
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Dec 11 2008, 09:15 PM) *

Damn, that's quite the list. I just need to repaint my gas tank, and put it back in the car, replace all the fuel lines and filters, new battery and drive.

I'm done with the filters, oil change and have been driving, but today the car died as I was getting on 880N... A little roadside guesswork and I decided the coil did not have 12V, so grabbed a spare bit of wire and hot-wired it to get home. I have been meaning to replace the key switch for a while since the cylinder comes right out with the key, but it's probably the relay board... ar15.gif

Oh, and while I'm at it, I would like to figure out why my RF wheel has play at 12 and 6 but not at 3 and 9...
dug
My six is a completely bare shell. The paint is not perfect, but I've decided to leave it as is and assemble for driving. Then I won't worry about paint chips when I'm at the track:) I'll start a thread when I actually start working on the car. The brakes are on the way to PMB for the full treatment from Eric. The 3.2 is just waiting to be mated. Goal is to get it done in time to drive to the Monterey Historics. My 7 year old is excited to help put it together.

IPB Image
IPB Image
computers4kids
1. Assemble my car....it's now all painted L96 Marathon Blue Metallic
2. Drive it piratenanner.gif
3. Make a handful of GT Grills (engine lids) to raise enough $ for #4
4. Purchase & install a Renshift
5. Try not to buy any more 914s for a while...."yeah right."

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.