Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 100mm output flange.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
PeeGreen 914
So I need to get some 100mm output flanges to go with my 944 axles I want to use on my 914. I am thinking they come out of a 915. What do I really need to look for with my 901 box and is the 100mm measured from the bolt spacing or the distance across or?

I also was asked if I need coarse or fine spline. Ummmm.... 901 guys help me out here. Dr. Evil? Slits? anyone?
PeeGreen 914
confused24.gif
SirAndy
Coarse spline from a late '70ies 915 tranny ...

I forgot the exact years, but somewhere around '76 - '78 i think.
shades.gif Andy
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 14 2009, 10:09 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

I hear Easy may have a few and you go by there regularly. Any chance you can check on that for me Andy?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 14 2009, 10:15 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 14 2009, 10:09 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

I hear Easy may have a few and you go by there regularly. Any chance you can check on that for me Andy?

Yeah, i can drive by there and ask John. If not, at least he'll be able to give me the Part Number.

I never bothered looking that up when i got mine, kinda stupid in retrospect.
slap.gif Andy
PeeGreen 914
Thanks Andy biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
zig-n-zag
100mm cv output flanges on the 923/02 tranny (912e) and 915/44 tranny (911) both 1976. 1972-73 911's trannys have 108mm cv output flanges, those might be the ones which interchange with 901's (914) diffs. I'd like to do tranny swaps (914 to915) without impacting axle swaps.
zig-n-zag
The output flanges on the 1976 912e have a raised lip which go around the 100mm cv. The 1976 911 tranny (915/44) does not have a lip, but does feature a raised deck to allow for grease I'm guessing.
zig-n-zag
I machined the 914 axles to accept the 944t cv's because the 944 axles are long. They look iffy to me, might spring for custom instead or go the PMS way. Gotta loosen the expansion bolts and see if they slide into the 901/914 diffs. The 72-73 911 output flanges I have fit a 108mm cv, the 1976 911 5-spd and the 1976 912e 5-spd fit the 100mm cv's but the 912e flanges have an outer lip to surround the cv OD.
PeeGreen 914
I have everything I need other than the output flanges. The guy I bought this from had a 3.2 with a 915 and this axle setup. I have the early 911 hubs and all so I figure it would be good to do. I have a spacer that adjusts for the problem in length. Now I just need Andy to see if Easy has some for as little as possible or if GPR has some.
GS Guy
If you can't find any factory stub axles, Todd at Precision Alloy can make you a set out of your 914 set. He does very nice work and reasonable $$.
http://www.precisionalloy.com/

Jeff
jd74914
You can call EASY too. I've gotten a few things from them (that they've shipped to me) and been very happy with the price.
Krieger
I got two sets from Parts Heaven in Hayward. Try them too.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jan 15 2009, 06:19 AM) *

You can call EASY too. I've gotten a few things from them (that they've shipped to me) and been very happy with the price.

Well, if Andy goes he is likely to get the best price. So I willl just wait and see what comes of that. beerchug.gif
charliew
I have some 901's and 914/901's for some bug applications. I am getting the idea from this thread that the 914 axle is easier to break than the 901 tranny. That surprises me. As light as buggies are I was hoping the 901 would hold up to a suby but I hadn't considered the axles as being a problem.
SirAndy
I run a stock 901 behind my 3.6L /6 ...

So far, so good. I think they can hold up pretty well if you're older than 25 and got through your "must burn rubber on every light" phase with a different car.

I don't use 1st gear anymore as i have been told it is the weakest spot in the 901. I got plenty of torque and taking off in 2nd is no problem at all ...

As for the axles, i went with the modified 914 axles shaft and 100mm 944 CVs. No problems there either so far.

HOW TO: Convert to real 5-lug in the rear using 944 CVs
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=80641

By using the modified 914 axles shaft, you eliminate any length problems and there's no need for spacers.
The 915 coarse spline output flanges are the same "depth" as the 901 output flanges.

bye1.gif Andy
charliew
Does anyone know if vw bus cvs are as good as 944 cvs?
Gary
Jon,

I have a spare pair of 915 sporto output flanges. They're about 3/8" longer than the manual transmission flanges and make up half the difference in length between the shorter 911 axle and the longer 914 axle. I've been using a pair on mine with the 911 axle, stub, and hub for a couple years no problem. I'm not sure the length of the 944 axle, but these are available if you want to try....

Joe Bob
I have an early 915 at Steve Wiley's that we are using for parts. Ask him what the flanges are......

PM him, screen name is sww914
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Gary @ Jan 15 2009, 11:47 AM) *

Jon,

I have a spare pair of 915 sporto output flanges. They're about 3/8" longer than the manual transmission flanges and make up half the difference in length between the shorter 911 axle and the longer 914 axle. I've been using a pair on mine with the 911 axle, stub, and hub for a couple years no problem. I'm not sure the length of the 944 axle, but these are available if you want to try....

Thanks Gary

I think I have it covered. Just waiting to hear what Andy finds. I believe the 944 axles are the perfect length but they need a spacer to go throught the hubs correctly. I appreciate it though beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 15 2009, 02:11 PM) *

I believe the 944 axles are the perfect length

I dis-agree.

As far as i know, there's two types of 944 axles:

- The earlier style for the steel trailing arms which are way too short.
- The 944 turbo ones for the aluminum trailing arms and those are about 1/2" longer than the 914 axles shafts.

See pic below. On top is a stock 914 axle shaft and on the bottom is a later style 944 axle shaft.

That is the main reason why i modified my old 914 axle shafts, so i would end up with the correct length. Otherwise, i could just have used the 944 shaft with the 944 CVs ...
bye1.gif Andy
PeeGreen 914
Oh. Well, the guy I bought these from had been using them on his 914 so I am guessing they are fine.
Aaron Cox
I almost bought a set from OTTO a few years back, i think he wanted 200 a pair tho....
SirAndy
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 15 2009, 04:44 PM) *

Oh. Well, the guy I bought these from had been using them on his 914 so I am guessing they are fine.

Then your CVs will always be extended under normal driving. Ideally, you want the inner and outer race to be in the same plane when the car is on the ground.
With an axle shaft that is too long, you will always run both CVs with an offset between the inner and the outer race.

I'm not sure if that's ok in the long run, i simply wasn't going to find that out the hard way, so i opted for machining the stock 914 axle shaft.

You're going to run at least 1/4" offset on each CV with the 944 shaft.
unsure.gif Andy
PeeGreen 914
He had them matted to a hot 3.2 and all was fine. I really don't believe they are any longer than the 914 axles I have. Maybe they were already alterd or something. I will have to look into it as it looks like he did everything you said to do in your thread. I'll check but need to get the output flanges before it even matters.
PeeGreen 914
Turns out they are longer than the original axles. So anyone here know what will happen if I run them like this without altering them?

Andy, any luck with Easy?

Okay, so after reading Andy's writeup again I think it would be easy enough to use the 914 shaft.
jaxdream
915 trans output flange # 923.332.209.02 coarse spline , checked in diff of 914 / 901 same height as the 914 output flanges . I have a set I checked the part number on to use for the 944 cv setup on 5 lug conversion.piratenanner.gif

jaxdream
PeeGreen 914
So are you going to do this as well or sell me the output flanges? biggrin.gif

If you are going to do this I can make you the half shafts you will need with the 914 shaft and 944 CVs. I am planning on making four. I have two 944 alxes I was going to use the CVs on to make spares and I am buying new CVs to make the ones that will go on my car. I also have plenty of 914 shafts to do this with.
jaxdream
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 20 2009, 08:50 PM) *

So are you going to do this as well or sell me the output flanges? biggrin.gif

If you are going to do this I can make you the half shafts you will need with the 914 shaft and 944 CVs. I am planning on making four. I have two 944 alxes I was going to use the CVs on to make spares and I am buying new CVs to make the ones that will go on my car. I also have plenty of 914 shafts to do this with.

No, they are't for sell as they are part of the 944 cv swap , get me a quote on the axle redo + shipping I maybe interested as I have to find a shop willing to do this ( local area does ford,chevy dodge ,farm tractors , I mention PORSCHE and get the glazed eye efffect from them ). Please pm me or shoot me an email to -
dadzzylla@aol.com , I have spare axles I could send for cores if needed. Thanks ...

jaxdream idea.gif
PeeGreen 914
email sent beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
Just buy the proper length 28 spline axle from Sway-a-Way and be done with it. $3??.00 clams. No adapters. No machining. All the 911 stuff bolts right up. Done. wink.gif
PeeGreen 914
Why would I do that when all I need now are the output flanges and I am done? biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
You're right... you should have done it a long time ago. biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
dry.gif I know. I just never bothered until now and my car was running fine. I just figured now would be the perfect time since I am doing everything else.
PeeGreen 914
Why are people telling me the six bolt 100mm flange doesn't exist when I have a picture of it right here? confused24.gif They keep telling me the 100mm flange only came in four bolt with two studs headbang.gif
Eric_Shea
Cause that's a 108 or someone drilled the nubs. wink.gif
PeeGreen 914
Really? So all I would need to do is drill the nubs and tap it to work right?

Andy?
Eric_Shea
1/2 joking with you. I do believe you can drill the nubs though.

I got the entire drive line out of a 1970 911 and simply swapped the axles. Seems a bit over-simplfied when compared to all this stuff. wink.gif

I know, I know... you just need flanges. sad.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 22 2009, 01:47 PM) *

1/2 joking with you. I do believe you can drill the nubs though.

I got the entire drive line out of a 1970 911 and simply swapped the axles. Seems a bit over-simplfied when compared to all this stuff. wink.gif

I know, I know... you just need flanges. sad.gif

chair.gif It would be nice if that was what I had done but at any rate.... just need the flanges. Anyone know of any for me? confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 19 2009, 10:56 PM) *

Andy, any luck with Easy?

Finally had the time to schwing by there today.

They don't have any and John said that he usually sells the flanges with the transmission, so it's not all that common to have any output flanges all by themselves.

He did, however, confirm the years, '76 - '79 ...
bye1.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 22 2009, 01:22 PM) *

Why are people telling me the six bolt 100mm flange doesn't exist when I have a picture of it right here? confused24.gif They keep telling me the 100mm flange only came in four bolt with two studs headbang.gif

Kaunt ze hoales!! rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914

Thanks for checking for me Andy.

So anyone have what I need?
Eric_Shea
Click to view attachment

Is that a "Bro"? blink.gif

Jon, check the PP classifieds.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 24 2009, 12:48 PM) *
Is that a "Bro"?

gayfight.gif
jaxdream
As to what species he is ,doesn't concern me ,but what the heck is he drilling the shift flange for -drainage ??? WTF.gif

Jaxdream
PeeGreen 914
Species? Well Sir Andy is German if that is what you are reffering to biggrin.gif

I believe he is drilling to use the JWest linkage. Don't quote me on that but since he isn't speaking up that is my guess. Drainage would be out of the bottom wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 24 2009, 06:00 PM) *

I believe he is drilling to use the JWest linkage.

Correct ... shades.gif

Wilhelm
Is the flange you are looking for is this:

Click to view attachment

Then here is an site for $100.00/flange: 911 Coarse Spline Transmission Flange
sixnotfour
Jon call monty.
As for DC Auto , I have been waitng for 2 parts I paid for since april 08.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Wilhelm @ Jan 25 2009, 08:53 AM) *

If the flange you are looking for is this

No. He needs 6 (six) boltholes ...

shades.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.