Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Howard Dranow Memorial West Coast Ramble
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
mstein95
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 3 2009, 08:16 AM) *

jamie/morgan, how days do you think you'd budget for the drive down? how far on the first day? stockton or futher south? hard part is timing the drop into the l.a. basin. or is it fuched traffic all of the time? santa barbara afternoon traffic was so much fun in 05'.

k

I'll take any recommendations - even travel at night. I'm hoping smarter drivers than I will be leading this sheep (Jamie?, Greenie?, ???)
Kevin - are you going?
JRust

jamie/morgan, how days do you think you'd budget for the drive down? how far on the first day? stockton or futher south? hard part is timing the drop into the l.a. basin. or is it fuched traffic all of the time? santa barbara afternoon traffic was so much fun in 05'.

k

Hey Kevin,
I'm open to whatever for driving down. I only took the 14,15 & the 18th off of work. So I'd be willing to leave Wednesday after work & go part way. Or just leave nce & early thursday morning. I would think we should get to at least Sac if not further south. If we go to Sac how much further to WCR? 4-5 hours driving? Really shouldn't be a problem to be there friday with plenty of time to spare. biggrin.gif Heck we got 3 months to get this planned. We should be able to figure it out in that time confused24.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 3 2009, 09:24 AM) *

k

Hey Kevin,
I'm open to whatever for driving down. I only took the 14,15 & the 18th off of work. So I'd be willing to leave Wednesday after work & go part way. Or just leave nce & early thursday morning. I would think we should get to at least Sac if not further south. If we go to Sac how much further to WCR? 4-5 hours driving? Really shouldn't be a problem to be there friday with plenty of time to spare. biggrin.gif Heck we got 3 months to get this planned. We should be able to figure it out in that time confused24.gif

Sackatomatoes would be a pretty easy drive from Corvallis. I left home at 8:00 and got there at 6:30, with well over an hour spent stopped for lunch and picking up a dashboard from some guy.

I'd say an easy 8 hours from Corvallis to Sac, and another 45 min or so to Stockton. I'm not real familiar with Cali, but I think things get pretty sparse after Stockton. Stockton to Irvine looks like another 6 hours or so.

Are you driving the V8, or trailering it?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 3 2009, 08:53 AM) *

you can even stay at my house the night before if you like

Forgot. Thanks for the offer. I have made arrangements to stay at Yopu's house. She did say that Rob will be staying with you... confused24.gif It sounded like she had it all worked out.

Oh Great! I knew she was up to something!
JRust

Sackatomatoes would be a pretty easy drive from Corvallis. I left home at 8:00 and got there at 6:30, with well over an hour spent stopped for lunch and picking up a dashboard from some guy.

I'd say an easy 8 hours from Corvallis to Sac, and another 45 min or so to Stockton. I'm not real familiar with Cali, but I think things get pretty sparse after Stockton. Stockton to Irvine looks like another 6 hours or so.

Are you driving the V8, or trailering it?

I don't know yet. I think probably trailering it. Better safe than sorry & knowing my luck with WCR headbang.gif I am better off having a way to get it home should something break. I also should have the creamsickle back & ready. I may go crazy & take it instead. I doubt it but who the heck knows blink.gif Either way I'll have room should you decide to ride down Todd biggrin.gif
JoeSharp
I will be providing some directions to follow for the L.A. area that will make your traffic as easy on you a possible. I've been working in this shit for 30 years and there are some tricks to it.
914junkie
This event sounds like a blast, I'd really like to go. I'm not willing to drive the V8 car 2000 miles but the S2 should make the trip just fine. If the PNW 914 caravan doesn't mind a 944 jumping in the mix, I'd like to roll down with you guys. So you guys are taking 101 all the way right? driving.gif Juskidn. biggrin.gif Paul S.
JoeSharp
Watch out for the Registration Thread. Should be up in a day or 2.
siverson
I plan on coming with my 914 (again). Will non-914s be permitted for the track day? My brother may want to join with his 993...

-Steve

914z
QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 28 2009, 07:36 PM) *

Count me in! Not exactly down the block from me. But heck if Greenie can make it from Seattle I guess I can't complain dry.gif

I am looking forward to this. Especially the autoX aktion035.gif . Can't wait to put the v8 thru it's paces driving.gif

NOT AN AUTO X! java script:emoticon(':poke:',%20'smid_36')
Real Racing, non of that FLATLAND stuff; twisties, elevation changes, downhill straight away, THE BOWL!!!!!
So all you flatlanders need to adjust your suspensions, otherwise all you will see is flashing head lamps (in your rearview mirror)and red tail lights (in your windshield).
I will have fun!java script:emoticon(':trophy:',%20'smid_52')
Z
Just to let you know I do have fun
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...st&id=41395
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...st&id=41396
jimtab
Soooo.....you use the teener as an "off road" vehicle I see....too much giddyaup and not enough whoa...???? Oh, by the way, I've done that myself......many times...,as Howie said the last time we were at Streets in 2006, and I looped my car....."Oh what a lovely maneuver that was....I just held back and watched you spin...."
GTeener
I think I'll dust off GTEENER and join in the fun this year driving-girl.gif
GTeener
QUOTE(GTeener @ Feb 5 2009, 12:03 PM) *

My dad just informed me he wants to come play too. driving.gif
siverson
I'll be driving the 914 up from San Diego. Does anyone in San Diego have extra room in a truck or trailer to drag up 4 wheels & tires for the track day?

-Steve
JoeSharp
Steve: I just saw the calender for the PCA OCR and they are having an A/X at El Toro the 17th. Looks like Tech will be late on Sunday in Lancaster. I'm sure that some of us would like to go to El Toro.
ThinAir
For those of us who don't own a helmet, is there a way to rent one from the track?
kenschipper
QUOTE(jimtab @ Feb 2 2009, 07:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 2 2009, 03:31 PM) *

When's the Sac/Bay crowd leaving?

Eric, Andy and I have already formed a small (at this point) caravan which you would be encouraged to join...you can even stay at my house the night before if you like.....I just hope I can keep up with the two of you...... driving.gif remember I've ridden in your car and I've seen Andy's evaporate in front of me when I was going 70-75..... wacko.gif

Keep in touch. We will probably meet up with you as you head down through the Monterey Bay Area. Planning on heading out Friday morning.
carreraguy
QUOTE(jimtab @ Feb 2 2009, 07:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 2 2009, 03:31 PM) *

When's the Sac/Bay crowd leaving?

Eric, Andy and I have already formed a small (at this point) caravan which you would be encouraged to join...you can even stay at my house the night before if you like.....I just hope I can keep up with the two of you...... driving.gif remember I've ridden in your car and I've seen Andy's evaporate in front of me when I was going 70-75..... wacko.gif

Count me in on the caravan on it's way thru the San Jose area!
ThinAir
QUOTE(ThinAir @ Feb 7 2009, 06:05 PM) *

For those of us who don't own a helmet, is there a way to rent one from the track?

icon_bump.gif I REALLY want to be on the track for WCR 2009 so I'd love to know how to handle the need for a helmet.
JoeSharp
I've got a helmet to loan you Ernie but you'll have to share it.
ThinAir
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Feb 8 2009, 04:06 PM) *

I've got a helmet to loan you Ernie but you'll have to share it.

Very cool! Thanks Joe!
JRust
What are the specs on the helmets? Will a motorcycle helmet work?
JoeSharp
Yes a motor cycle helmet will work, I think they have to be at least Snell 2000.
Gint
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Feb 8 2009, 09:51 PM) *
Yes a motor cycle helmet will work, I think they have to be at least Snell 2000.

Can that be verified? Before I schlep a helmet 1000 miles that is. No sense taking up valuable trunk space if it's too old. Mine is a 2000.
siverson
> Yes a motor cycle helmet will work, I think they have to be at least Snell 2000.

If so, that would be the first track day I've ever been to that allows motorcycle helmets.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(siverson @ Feb 9 2009, 09:10 AM) *

> Yes a motor cycle helmet will work, I think they have to be at least Snell 2000.

If so, that would be the first track day I've ever been to that allows motorcycle helmets.

agree.gif I don't own a helmet and need to get one eventually. What is the minimum ratiing?

Does it HAVE TO BE full faced? I really hate full faced helmets... shades.gif

Is this a good rating? Snell SA2005 Certification
JoeSharp
Hey Rick, yes thats the lattest. We will have to show a helmet at tech. People will be loaning their helmets out. What you wind up on the track with will be a different helmet each time you go out. Open face is fine, but I think you will need eye protection, ie face shield.
GTeener
QUOTE(GTeener @ Feb 5 2009, 11:21 AM) *

Unless I trade GTEENER for ssstikircr's Mini driving-girl.gif
GTeener
QUOTE(GTeener @ Feb 9 2009, 11:12 AM) *

QUOTE(GTeener @ Feb 5 2009, 11:21 AM) *

Unless I trade GTEENER for ssstikircr's Mini driving-girl.gif

Well folks, the trade has been confirmed.

Come the Spring (before March) I will be 914less....

Ya'll make sure that ssstikircr takes good care of GTEENER.

Thanks for the wild ride driving-girl.gif these past 10 years smilie_pokal.gif

JoeSharp
Gwen: Mini's will be accepted at the WCR. Your still a part of this community.
ThinAir
icon_bump.gif Any news on when we'll be able to register?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Feb 9 2009, 07:46 PM) *

I was there, and God help her, she asked MY advice on this trade. I am telling you now, if you drew blood and checked Gwen's hemoglobin it would come back 9.14mg/dl. She will be back with another 914. She has wanted a mini since she was a little girl. This one is sweet too!
6freak
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Feb 1 2009, 02:10 PM) *

We are working on a registration form now. The registration fee's will be $91.44 for 4's and $91.46 for -6's. If you have a -6 you can afford to pay a little more.

So what do i get for my $91.46 bones.... lol poke.gif at Mr Greenie......Will there be trailer parking and if its close to LA will the trailer get JACKED laugh.gif
JoeSharp
There should be no problems with trailers. I will be bring the Team NARP trailer every I go.
GTeener
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Feb 9 2009, 07:46 PM) *

beerchug.gif
Your the best Joe. Thanks!
I do still fall into the NARP category av-943.gif
6freak
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Feb 10 2009, 10:48 AM) *

There should be no problems with trailers. I will be bring the Team NARP trailer every I go.

Cool!! but Im really still on the fence.If i put willows on my(tracks to run on) bucket list i have to go ..40/60 right now
JoeSharp
QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 10 2009, 11:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Feb 10 2009, 10:48 AM) *

Cool!! but Im really still on the fence.If i put willows on my(tracks to run on) bucket list i have to go ..40/60 right now

On the fence uh, think about this. There is an A/X less that a mile from the hotel on Sunday, then go to the party in Lancaster and rest up for the Track day at Willow Monday.
6freak
ok now im 55/45..the AX "and" willows pushed me over ..got to clear it with the warden! shouldnt be an issue
914z
QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 10 2009, 10:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Feb 1 2009, 02:10 PM) *

We are working on a registration form now. The registration fee's will be $91.44 for 4's and $91.46 for -6's. If you have a -6 you can afford to pay a little more.

So what do i get for my $91.46 bones.... lol poke.gif at Mr Greenie......Will there be trailer parking and if its close to LA will the trailer get JACKED laugh.gif

This is NOT a trailer park! This is a real race track:)
icon_bump.gif
ConeDodger
I'd say it qualifies as a NARP! Engine in the front and sideways, steering wheel on the left. Some sort of 'furrin' flag on the roof. But hey! She has wanted one since she was a little girl!
GTeener
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 10 2009, 03:18 PM) *

I'd say it qualifies as a NARP! Engine in the front and sideways, steering wheel on the left. Some sort of 'furrin' flag on the roof. But hey! She has wanted one since she was a little girl!

Your not mocking me are you Rob?
stirthepot.gif
JoeSharp
Bring it Gwen, remember there is a trophy for best nonNARP. Thats all vehicels other than 914's. The motor home almost got it one year at the RRC. I was given Long Distance instead.
GTeener
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Feb 10 2009, 05:32 PM) *

Bring it Gwen, remember there is a trophy for best nonNARP. Thats all vehicels other than 914's. The motor home almost got it one year at the RRC. I was given Long Distance instead.

idea.gif tempting...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(GTeener @ Feb 10 2009, 03:22 PM) *

stirthepot.gif

Oh heck no... If I had known Alex was open to horse trading I would have tempted him with a BMW Motorcycle or a 240Z... You got a good deal. Both of you...
GTeener
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 10 2009, 05:41 PM) *

stirthepot.gif

Oh heck no... If I had known Alex was open to horse trading I would have tempted him with a BMW Motorcycle or a 240Z... You got a good deal. Both of you...

Come on now, you knew he was open to horse trading. That's what his classified ad said. slap.gif
But he wanted a 914-6 conversion which I don't see you offering.. luckily for me...

ConeDodger
QUOTE(GTeener @ Feb 10 2009, 05:59 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 10 2009, 05:41 PM) *

stirthepot.gif

Come on now, you knew he was open to horse trading. That's what his classified ad said. slap.gif
But he wanted a 914-6 conversion which I don't see you offering.. luckily for me...

Nope... I was clueless. I never saw his ad. I was just hoping he would show up as he said he was buying a 914 and hoped to have it by Saturday... I never even go to the cars for sale ads...

Your Dad clued me in when you were talking about going for a drive...
6freak
Back on topic ...so Im now 80/20..whats the typical weather there in May.It is Cali so i suppose its warm but how warm.Any word on Hotels and registration
JoeSharp
The weather here in May is warm and at the worst, overcast. We have picked out the hotels and as of last night the registration form is complete but not secured. We should be able to have it up for you by Valentines Day. We have to get it through Committee.
Mrs. K
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Feb 11 2009, 10:57 AM) *

We have to get it through Committee.

idea.gif WWHD..........*we don't need no stinkin committee* av-943.gif

bootyshake.gif Hi Howie wub.gif

Lisa
mrs.K.gif
RiqueMar
I'm soooooo down. My car has to be done by then, because my Explorer is no longer mine as of April 20th. The only thing is, I might ahve finals on Monday....

I'll try to talk my dad into finishing his 6. It just has to be assembled!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.