Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Official: 2009 914 Shootout Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Feb 22 2009, 06:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 21 2009, 08:23 PM) *

So which Bilsteins are set up for re-valving?

To be honest, I'm not sure about the yellow Koni's, i.e., whether you can re valve them or not.

To the best of my knowledge, all of them.

I heard a rumor that Jack had passed away. Bilstein West is in Poway, CA, IIRC.
The price above is less any parts required. I had 2 buggered up inside shafts on mine set so sent them again for a fix.....inexpensive. These are gas shocks.....a WAG would be that many "shops" send shocks to Bilstein for revalving using their own valving specs rather than Jack's. I have no idea how the shocks are pressurized but suspect the required equiptment is not in most "shops".

Looks like Koni has a group that will take care of re-valving their shocks...

http://www.koniracing.com/shopservices.html
grantsfo
QUOTE(koozy @ Feb 18 2009, 09:10 AM) *

Thanks, Randal. I was thinking 250 to 275 to start. Larry suggested 300. I like the box-o-springs idea. I guess it will just take some time to figure out. Now, to settle on a starting point. I did machine the perches (or the equivalent) I added a groove lower on the shock so the collar sits at it's lowest point without possibility for bind and got the longer collar for greater adjust ability. I did that when I first got em since I didn't know where the car would sit happy.

Mike,

I'm with Larry on 300 lb springs for your setup. Thats a good starting point. I used 275 lb on my lightweight car with 19mm front torsions. Get 8" springs as you will want the rear lower than you can get with 10". Stock Koni yellows will be fine. DOnt bother with all the custom valving etc at this point. Its over rated and usully ends up wrong. Before you consider any custom shocks focus on assuring all your bushings are in good shape, new ball joints, turbo tie rods etc. If your running DOT tires you will want to work on front strut towers to get enough negative camber as well.

If you cant live without custom valving PM me and I will give you some referals to some very good places to get shocks valved in the area. You are going to want to know what wheel and tire type, size/weight you are running prior to any custom valving.

Sorting cars is highly overated as well, dont get sucked into the sorting vortex. Most 914's with generally stiff and properly working suspension, decent shocks and sticky tires will perform well if you drive them correctly. You really dont want to lose sight of most important aspect of your car and thats you.

Forgot to ask. You are getting an LSD right? Dont leave home without one.
smokey
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Feb 16 2009, 05:02 PM) *

Nuthin' wrong with lifting the inside front some.....as long as the sumbitch goes where you point it. This is something that happens when you have (or need) suspension that actually has compliance & travel.

For a data point, my car is set up with a 22mm front sway bar, 21mm T bars and 275lb rear springs and it's been known to wave at the crowds. biggrin.gif

agree.gif
koozy
The LSD is on the WTB list. I hope to find one before the final install is done but it may have to wait. I need to get Randals old cage installed before that. First order of business has been getting the chassis home. Snags in the paprework have delayed that from happening. That's why I'm starting the season in the red car.
koozy
If ya know of a good LSD at a decent price, let me know.

What are the options I have for torque biasing?
koozy
How about the Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential? Specs say it is torque biasing (I gues that's the ATB part). Less than a grand.
smokey
QUOTE(koozy @ Feb 26 2009, 10:54 AM) *

Hey mike .

Tom Amon Did a serv on my 87 /911 last week . He tells me that he is selling his 914 racer . Go to his web site . @ mobile werks west . check it out . The racer comes with a very tight lsd box. He has other trannys on his site for sale also . The 901 lsd is not listed in the for sale area . I asked him if he would sell the box seperate from the car sale . I did not get an answer . Send him a email , I am sure he will sell it . I talked to him about it a lil . It is sett up for auto x/ track/ time trile . real strong at low end . with the car @ 5500.00 ./ the box mite be a sale at a real great price.

There is your green flag .

GO !!!!!!!!! Go!!!!!
go !!!!!!!!!
I am sure others will be sending the email s also . Please lett SIR mr MIKEY have 1st crack .
The KOOZzzz Is in the need .

Rtm
koozy
Thanx. I talked to Tom. Not an LSD. Just a locked box with short gears for $1800 with exchange. Not what I am looking for but thanks for the lead.
smokey
dry.gif
slap.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(koozy @ Feb 26 2009, 11:10 AM) *

How about the Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential? Specs say it is torque biasing (I gues that's the ATB part). Less than a grand.

Nuthin worng with a Quaife. I got a good deal on a TB Guard & went that way.
The Guard is a bit lighter & prettier.....but who can see it? biggrin.gif
drgchapman
I'm running the Quaife in my 3.2/915 combo. Seems to work real gud.
Randal
QUOTE(smokey @ Feb 27 2009, 06:39 AM) *

QUOTE(koozy @ Feb 26 2009, 10:54 AM) *

Hey mike .

Tom Amon Did a serv on my 87 /911 last week . He tells me that he is selling his 914 racer . Go to his web site . @ mobile werks west . check it out . The racer comes with a very tight lsd box. He has other trannys on his site for sale also . The 901 lsd is not listed in the for sale area . I asked him if he would sell the box seperate from the car sale . I did not get an answer . Send him a email , I am sure he will sell it . I talked to him about it a lil . It is sett up for auto x/ track/ time trile . real strong at low end . with the car @ 5500.00 ./ the box mite be a sale at a real great price.

There is your green flag .

GO !!!!!!!!! Go!!!!!
go !!!!!!!!!
I am sure others will be sending the email s also . Please lett SIR mr MIKEY have 1st crack .
The KOOZzzz Is in the need .

Rtm

FYI Mike, Tom does great work. He put the LSD in the 901 that is in the Beast and also the Guard that's in 222. Brad took the clutches out so that I wasn't at 80% for autoxing, but didn't really get much of a chance to test it in action... at least not yet.
drgchapman
Sorry for the dearth of information regarding the Shootout this August. Had to get some groundwork done. Finally found the thread on the second page...
We now are planning a 3 day event, lunch/dinner or no meals included. Working on a band(?) for Saturday night's dinner-party. We will be using Motorsportreg.com for the event, you will be notified when registration will open, likely by Britain.

Friday: Autocross Evolution school. Instructed by Incredibly fast, multiple year national solo champions. I got a taste of what these guys have to offer at our Spring Breakout event last week. I'll just say, I learned a lot, the car turns faster times now.....Lunch available by preregister. Dinner on your own.

Saturday: PNW/PCA will be hosting the event. Full day of autocross with a track of their choosing. Dinner will be prepared by a local group that does a great job. Lunches will be available by preregister.

Sunday: ORPCA will be hosting the event. Full day of autocross with a track of our choosing. Lunch will be by preregister.
Shoot out results will be combined two day best times as we did last year.

Sponsors are encouraged. We'll see what all we can come up with for prizes. I've heard rumblings of the tow fund again this year.......

I strongly encourage our WA bretheren to come out and attend in numbers. You Norcal guys will be here with new tires. The venue is incredible. We will try to put on a good show for you all. Britain has already posted how to obtain lodging/camping facilities earlier in the thread.

More to follow...

Gary
PeeGreen 914
I will be there piratenanner.gif . Who are these National champions? I get to see many of these guys every month at our local PCA and SCCA events. They would be great for a school. I have learned a lot from many of the guys up here and they are great instructors.

I'll do my best to get as many of the Washington guys down there. I already talked to a few people about it at our first AX last month. I just hope the guys with multiple cars bring their 914s. I hope we can have 40 to 50 914s there. I know it is doable. beerchug.gif

Thanks Gary for getting this going. I know it is a ton of work and it is all appreciated. smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.