Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Researching 914 Ownership History & Condition Eval Pix
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Tom_T
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 20 2009, 08:23 PM) *
...Back to a few of my orignial questions asked of all you experts out there: poke.gif

Thanx!
Tom T
///////

Another couple of parts related questions:

1.) Can I use a pre-73 chrome front bumper & just drill out the holes to mount the 2 - 73/74 "rubber baby buggy bumpers" ("tits")?

2.) Will the front & rear body panels/bulkheads (behind & above the F & R bumpers) work from any year in my `73 ?? ...are they pretty much standard?

Thanx,
Tom T
///////
Bleyseng

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 27 2009, 07:12 PM) *

...Back to a few of my orignial questions asked of all you experts out there: poke.gif

Thanx!
Tom T
///////

1.) Can I use a pre-73 chrome front bumper & just drill out the holes to mount the 2 - 73/74 "rubber baby buggy bumpers" ("tits")?

2.) Will the front & rear body panels/bulkheads (behind & above the F & R bumpers) work from any year in my `73 ?? ...are they pretty much standard?

Thanx,
Tom T
///////

I'll chime in, yes you can use a early style bumper but it won't have the reinforceing metal for the tits. Good early chrome bumpers are hard to find too.

All back body panels are the same.

I'd get the color back to original from the factory whatever it was..

As for the engine, I have it refreshed with a Raby cam and lifters, the heads rebuilt by Len at HAM so it was up to date and the valve seats won't fall out on you.

Remember, you are in the "Garage" so just like a real garage standing around talking to other guys there is always some "joker" who is going to talk shit to you.

Go meet everyone at the WCR09 and make friends as friends are the ones who help you to source parts alot of which are NLA.
bootyshake.gif

Newbies are newbies...
EdwardBlume
Awesome use of clickables!!!! Welcome Tom. You can hold your own!!! You'll be just fine...

BTW - I have 74 2.0 that came with the center console, black bumpers, vinyl, no sway bars. My understanding is that '73 2.0s were mostly fully equipped (called the"S"). The radio antennas were definately added by the dealers, as some are on the driver side, some on the pass. Your car may have been ordered as a strippy by the dealer too, because price point was a serious issue of contention for the lowly 914. Other than that, my knowledge is worthless.

Good luck on your quest.

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 27 2009, 05:55 PM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Mar 27 2009, 10:52 AM) *

God Tom what is it with you? Were you abused as a kid? Sex change didn't take? Batteries dead in your anel probe? What? I welcomed you here welcome.png , There was a smilie emo after my commments. biggrin.gif I never said anything personal until you did.

SO FUCK YOU TOMMY

wacko.gif ...nah, sent the "anel" probe to uranus! av-943.gif
huh.gif geez....just thot this iz wut u liked - trash talking! WTF.gif

BTW ... your first "intro" post said something like: "...if I can be of more help don't ask..." which I took not to be too neighborly...

...altho I did say I liked the boat story - remember? poke.gif confused24.gif unsure.gif

BTWW ....then your next reply flips me off, rather that just being civil & tell me you were just kidding - i.e.: without the finger!

..and everytime I kid ya back, you just explode a new set of cluster bombs! ar15.gif confused24.gif

....so just stop beatin' it to death, will ya! smash.gif headbang.gif chair.gif

.......& stop sheeplove.gif around!

....& letz stop bein' a couple of slap.gif - unless you get off on this banter?

...nuff said, let's get on with it! rolleyes.gif

bye1.gif
Tom T smile.gif
///////

PS - hope there's enough sheeplove.gif emotives here, that you get my drift... icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif idea.gif ...& let it rest. happy11.gif

PSS - - BTWWW - lots of us old folks[b][u] don't pay much attention to the cutsie pix in these things - like you young-uns - we just read the wordzzzzz! blink.gif

...although it iz kinda fun when your off on Friday evening with wife & kids away & nuttin else pressin!!!! shades.gif

...and look - everyone up there agrees with me! agree.gif
///////

914werke
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 23 2009, 08:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Roy @ Mar 23 2009, 04:26 PM) *

At #1954, it also would have the newer and better post #1000 door structure/design.
///////end

Actually, most (but not all) guys prefer the earlier (lightweight) doors with the later scissor style window regulators. I believe this is a feature unique to the 'early' 73's.

Given the flex already in the roadster design, some feel that the 5 or so pounds more is well worth the added strength & flex resistance that the later doors provide (so long as the rest of the unibody is solid, that is).

Tom T
///////

Uh they are considerably more than 5LBS more a door poke.gif

And as to converting ..not gonna happen. Early doors are significantly different than mid to late doors. The up side is if you desire a later version just find a doner and bolt them on.
Bleyseng
I have seen early doors with scissor window mechs and no side guards but never early doors with side guards and early cable windows mechs...

cheer.gif

popcorn[1].gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Mar 20 2009, 10:48 PM) *

...and a very long shot - does anybody per chance happen to have any information on my `73 914-2.0 - VIN 4732901954 ?

Well it was made in 1973, in Germany, from steel with good rust potential. Made from mostly German parts. It took a long boat ride in its youth, with others of its kind. It found a new home in the USA and has been there ever sense.

If I can be more help don't bother asking. biggrin.gif welcome.png

av-943.gif Definitely the AH of this thread welcome.png Well I hope all goes well with you 914 restoration. I just purschased one 2 days ago n will soon be working on it. It's also a 73 2.0FI here is the link to my thread I started on it
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=94206
James
Tom_T
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Apr 1 2009, 09:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 23 2009, 08:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Roy @ Mar 23 2009, 04:26 PM) *

At #1954, it also would have the newer and better post #1000 door structure/design.
///////end

Actually, most (but not all) guys prefer the earlier (lightweight) doors with the later scissor style window regulators. I believe this is a feature unique to the 'early' 73's.

Given the flex already in the roadster design, some feel that the 5 or so pounds more is well worth the added strength & flex resistance that the later doors provide (so long as the rest of the unibody is solid, that is).

Tom T
///////

Uh they are considerably more than 5LBS more a door poke.gif

And as to converting ..not gonna happen. Early doors are significantly different than mid to late doors. The up side is if you desire a later version just find a doner and bolt them on.

I stand corrected - the actual total weight gain WITH the side reinforcing bars is 110#. I was really referring to the non-reinforced early switch-over style found in non-California 914s, which is what the other poster seemed to be referring to by early doors with scissor regulators.

Tom T
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(Rob Ways @ Apr 1 2009, 12:09 PM) *

Awesome use of clickables!!!! Welcome Tom. You can hold your own!!! You'll be just fine...

BTW - I have 74 2.0 that came with the center console, black bumpers, vinyl, no sway bars. My understanding is that '73 2.0s were mostly fully equipped (called the"S"). The radio antennas were definately added by the dealers, as some are on the driver side, some on the pass. Your car may have been ordered as a strippy by the dealer too, because price point was a serious issue of contention for the lowly 914. Other than that, my knowledge is worthless.

Good luck on your quest.

Thanx & Thanx Rob,

My understanting too, was that all `73 2.0's came with at least both of the full Appearance & Performance Groups' options, and I just scarfed a mint sales brochure on-line that indicated that too (and referred to it as the "914 S" - but mine is tagged 914-2.0 as are all). And to think that 36 year old marketing "throw-away" was free, & I just paid for it!!!!

Certainly all of the MT, C&D, etc. articles of the day said so..but then those dealers can be tricky ole' b**turds! If it came from the one here in OC - it used to be called Chick Iverson VW - Porsche/Audi - but everyone around just call them "Jyp Iverson" (not sure of that spelling for "jyp" as in jyp you outta something).

My understanding on your 74 2L & all from that model year, is that they let more of them out with a wider range of options for that price point you were talking about. ....and back then, we on the Left (West) Coast had a $1000 shipping add-on to boot!

So yours probably was ordered with only the Appearance Group & not the Performance Group (sway bars, etc.). Fortunately from 73 on I think that they all had the hard points on for adding the F&R sway bars, so you could always add them. They REALLY help keep 'em flat in the corners!

My antenna is on driver's side front fender (mechanical, but I'll probably go with a new AM/FM/CD unit & electric antenna for now, & hold onto the AM/FM/8-Track until I can get it fixed/rehab'ed, then...?

Porsche called/e-mailed today that the COA is done & expect it in 3-4 weeks (I guess they like to collect the "float" interest on my card while I wait). Unfortunately i just noticed that it will NOT tell me the standard equipment, but only the options, so i won't get any definitive answer, & their e-mail in answer to my not on the app. for the dealer asaid it's too old to know that! ...geez - I still have my business records from the `70's, but then I'm paranoid of the IRS!

Tom T
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 1 2009, 07:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 27 2009, 07:12 PM) *

Thanx!
Tom T
///////

Thanx,
Tom T
///////

I'll chime in, yes you can use a early style bumper but it won't have the reinforceing metal for the tits. Good early chrome bumpers are hard to find too.

All back body panels are the same.

I'd get the color back to original from the factory whatever it was..

As for the engine, I have it refreshed with a Raby cam and lifters, the heads rebuilt by Len at HAM so it was up to date and the valve seats won't fall out on you.

Remember, you are in the "Garage" so just like a real garage standing around talking to other guys there is always some "joker" who is going to talk shit to you.

Go meet everyone at the WCR09 and make friends as friends are the ones who help you to source parts alot of which are NLA.
bootyshake.gif

Newbies are newbies...

KMA.gif

....okay, as I ass'd before (sp? confused24.gif ) -- where is the WCR09 going to be held????

I can read the banner that it's in Irvine - but where in Irvine???? Anyone have a clue as to the actual site?

If on one of the 2 closed Marine Air Stations here, that would make sense - in order to use the old runways & tarmacks for AX, but I can't think of anywhere else here for those events!?

Tom T
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Apr 1 2009, 11:10 PM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Mar 20 2009, 10:48 PM) *

...and a very long shot - does anybody per chance happen to have any information on my `73 914-2.0 - VIN 4732901954 ?

Well it was made in 1973, in Germany, from steel with good rust potential. Made from mostly German parts. It took a long boat ride in its youth, with others of its kind. It found a new home in the USA and has been there ever sense.

If I can be more help don't bother asking. biggrin.gif welcome.png

av-943.gif Definitely the AH of this thread welcome.png Well I hope all goes well with you 914 restoration. I just purschased one 2 days ago n will soon be working on it. It's also a 73 2.0FI here is the link to my thread I started on it
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=94206
James

Saw your post & left you a few tid-bits James, but ignore the instrument one (others before me had it nailed) - except that if you wanted to return to `73 look, go hunting for the silver center button style.

When I get mine done in......??, my son & I may take her on a run from SoCal to Sallisaw, so I'll let you know & hook up on our way thru (around) OKC!

Happy Hammerin'! smash.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 1 2009, 12:40 AM) *

Thanx!
Tom T
///////

Thanx,
Tom T
///////

Okay - Thanx All for the input so far....

If we can finish up my son's 88 Civic in time this week end, I'll try to take some pix of the 914's bumpers, rubber tops & front "tits" to get opinions on straightening them all for re-use, since they're mostly all now NLA.

How can I post or insert pix into this dang post???
I tried to do one the other day, but it wanted a URL!? ....so does that mean I need to set-up & post them on my own home page or something? confused24.gif

As I said before, I'm trying to collect the parts necessary to get my `73 2L back on the road after being dry stored in my SoCal garage since 5/85 (+/- 24 years!) - both Mech & Body, and my preference is to stay OEM/OES or close to stock.

So I want to post questions on various systems, components & parts here - IF this is the appropriate place, or should I look to other areas on this bbs???
Please let me know if not &/or where I might get more & better responses to a particular topic.

That said, I'm looking at brake stuff this week. - for STREET driving use, without any... new_shocked.gif

A few Brake System Questions, so I can take advantage of Performance Products 15% off sale this week: unsure.gif

1.) First & Foremost - are Performance Products prices typically good competitive pricing??
....& are their weekly specials & discounts are worth jumping at?

...or can I do better just shopping around? confused24.gif

Dr. 914 - George - feel free to weigh in on your Auto Atlanta stock! smile.gif

2.) Brake Pads - OEM or ???? by whom? - STREET use
> which for improved braking?
> which for best life?
> which for least "squeal"?
> which don't have asbestos? (a no-no in CA & PBR has it!)
> ratings for: ATE, Jurid, Textar, Pagid, Mintex, Hawk, PBR, others?

3.) Stainless vs OEM Rubber Brake Lines?
> worth the extra price?
> longer life? ...if so, how much longer lasting?
> what is "shelf life" for each in terms of rubber/teflon/silicone?
...I hope to get them installed in `09, but it might be next year, what with all of the other stuff to be done!
> whose are best? ...Weltmeister? ...others?

4.) Master Cylinders - 914-4's 17mm -or- 914-6's 19mm?? (OEM only)
> 19mm are straight bolt-in substitute - correct?
> any steel lines, connectors or anything else need to be changed with 19mm?
> how much improvement 17 > 19mm? ....& for $45 less @ 19mm!
> any issues, concerns & problems in using 19mm?
> what is "shelf life" in terms of their rubber/teflon/silicone "innards"?
...I hope to get them in 2009/2010, but don't want them deteriorating on my shelf!
> any external rubber lines/parts to also replace on MC's? ...any available in SS?
> safety issues & viability of rebuilding current MC which has sat 24 yrs.?
...for safety reasons - I prefer it OEM/OES new or reman. unit (in case of internal rust/pitting/etc.)

5.) Brake Fluids --
> Porsche OEM vs. which others? - for STREET use
> How much do I need for complete change-over & bleeding? - # of oz. or ml & # of cans/bottles?
> what is "shelf life" if left un-opened until rebuild? - +/- 09/2010?

6.) Disk Calipers -- (they're not on sale now for 914s, but for future Ref.)
> new vs remanufactured vs "rebuilt"
> are OEM &/or OES now NLA? ...or if still available - where?? Front? & Rear?
> best mfgr source(s) for OEM Re-mans?
> what & where are the retail sources for above alts?
...I hope to get them in 2009/2010, but don't want them deteriorating on my shelf!
> safety issues & viability of rebuilding current Calipers which have sat 24 yrs.?
...for safety reasons - I prefer it OEM/OES new or reman. unit (in case of internal rust/pitting/etc.)
> best caliper rebuild kits & mfgrs? ...& is the shelf life of the rubber parts 2009-2010 or more?

7.) 914 Proportioning Valves -- (they're not on sale now for 914s, but for future Ref.)
> are OEM &/or OES still available? ...&/or OEM/OES Remans?
> any better alternative p.valves to elim. "spongy pedal"?
> how are the adjustable ones (like JWest)?? ...& how ahrd to adjust to get right for STREET use??
...or are they more of a pain in the A than they're worth????
> what & where are the sources for above alts?
> I'm not interested in replacing it with a "Tee", cuz it serves the function to prevent real lock-up & resulting spin-out or swapping back-to-front when you have to brake hard!!

Any other Brake System Tips? confused24.gif

Note that I'll hold off on buying anything without a "safe" shelf life thru 2010, until the actual time I'll be doing the brake system - sale or not! ... just to avoid those new_shocked.gif moments! smile.gif

unsure.gif
Thanx in advance guys & gals!
Tom
///////

Tom_T
QUOTE(Racer @ Mar 21 2009, 04:44 PM) *

If you included pics, it would have been the "posterchild" for first posts wink.gif

OKAY - So just to make you happy, last week I spent 20+ hours digging the crap out from on & around the 914, crawled over, under, in, around & through taking pix & assessing the work ahead - literally through, as the pass door is inop. & there's only about 12" clear on driver's side, so I used a broom to crank down the window & slithered in! Since this post process limits pix to 500kb & my camera took 1-2+ MB pix, I've had to crop down a few to give you the general idea of what I'm up against.

Hopefully you can then all weigh in on whether to fix or cut-&-weld-in "new" parts (probably from a donor junker 914)????

During that grueling overnight process, I also pulled off the front bumper/etc., grills, horns, valence, turn & marker lights (for safe-keeping ya know!), etc. In that process, I found the fog lights' wires just snipped off behind the dual tone horns (verified that: 375 & 400 MHz), and the mounting bolt receivers were hiding behind the tweaked bumper et al. Of course I've always seen the perfect hole in the dash & basketweave cover material where the switch once was!

I also found the center console's front & rear mounting brackets' holes under the dash & in front of the storage console/flip-up pcenter pad; & the wiring harness connectors under the tunnel carpeting - so apparently it was once there - pretty sure to positive also! Why it was removed??? ....maybe for more leg room, especially if the center flip-up cushion was often used for a 3rd passenger??

No idea on why the Rivieras instead of 2.0 Fuchs, unless it had to do with one of the speculations that either I or your responses posed. Another new speculation I have come up with in researching 914 recalls, is that there was a Porsche Recall regarding the Alloys being improperly installed, and maybe the Dealer took the easy out & just installed VW Rivieras instead of correcting the front hubs/rotors???? I'll have to pull the RF Riv & compare the Rotor on there with the new ones I just got, to see if it has that little centering bump-out thingy!? ...real technical I know, but I'm brain-dead about now I can't think of the name of it!

Wouldn't it be a hoot if I could force a dealer to correct that & do the proper rotors, hubs and go find & buy me some nice 2.0 Fuchs Alloys ALL AT THEIR / PORSCHE'S COST!? ...I know, I'm dreamin'!!!

However, along those lines, I had the COA gal refer my query about whether Porsche would still do the Fule Lines & Battery Recall Campaign on mine (to at least save me some of the cost to replace the old OEM lines). And they do and I even got an "official Porsche Case Number" to get it done at a dealer whenever I'm ready can get the 914 to them. Then they have to find somebody who knows how to work on a 914 blink.gif (since the car is probably older than most of their mechanics today) & run down the parts! They apparently have to honor all uncompleted recalls!

But first, an update on the "History Quest"! The COA is on the way, which actually prompted my picture quest 'cuz they needed a pic of my GA engine number before they would list it as a 2.0!

Furthermore, I've tried to read the trunk chassis number stamp which is very faint after OE + 3 Repaints, and with the limited clearance at the driver-side door, I can't even see the front label, the rear jamb lable & the one on the Pass-headlite box were painted over & unreadable - ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO CLEAN OF THE PAINT WITHOUT DAMAGING THE LABEL????

I also verified Sway Bars F&R, and the "Red" Konis went on the rear - not front struts as I'd said before (that was only a fix for one upper F strut mount, per the service record). I know that my mechanic told me they were Bilsteins before, but back then the replacement OEM Bilsteins were 2x the Konis, and cash was tight then - so I went with Konis!? I haven't tried to look in to see the F strut inserts, but the struts appear to be black or dark grey where I wiped off the grime, which I think means their Boge Struts - yes / no?? So I feel that verifies the Performance Group Package was there "standard"

And I verified dual tone horns, I know I have the intermittent wipers 'cuz I've used them!; verified the center console/gauges were most probably there at one time, she has the mouse-fur targa top headliner & "textured" black finish on it outside, has the vinyl roll bar trim & chrome F&R bumpers, has the tan/"carmel" loop/pile OEM carpet & Tan/"Cinnamon" Leatherette/Basketweave upholstery, padded Leather(ette) covered Steering Wheel & Shifter Knob (with the "old colors" cloisonne Porsche badge), & leather(ette) shifter boot - all confirmed & per the pix.

So that all sounds like the "fully loaded" 914-2.0 / "914S" upgraded equipment, as described in the early 1973 Porsche 914 full 9 page marketing brochure which I recently acquired on=line from Bishko for this very purpose. Therefore, I feel fairly confident & comfortable in restoring my early 914-2.0/914S with all of the currently "missing" 2.0 AG/PG items: restoring the missing fog lights/chrome grills, center console/3 gauges, & 4 Fuchs 2.0 Alloys.

...or would it have come with 5 Alloys - including the spare???? (FYI - my spare in the pix is the "then new" for 73 steel wheel with the cross-pattern stamped design)

However, during several phone & e-mail conversations over the past 2 weeks with Kristen doing my COA at PCNA, I now know the following:

VIN 4732901954
Only Options listed: US Equipment & Tinted Windows
> she had nother for certain on "standard 2.0 AG/PG Eqpt."
Engine Case # GA000424 - matching
Trans Case # 914/11HA0042874 (I think it is a 74, cuz mine was too worn for the 12/83 overhaul & a used case purchased)
Chassis # 5649545 ? (based on hard to read trunk stamp)
> (1st 5 could be a 3, 2nd 6 could be 3 or 8, 4th could be 8, but pretty sure on rest)
OE Color Code L80E Light Ivory (as I suspected)
> But I'm still unsure if the Gold Metallic when I bought it 12/75 was a Dealer or First Buyer Requested Repaint by the Selling Dealership.

Is it better to go back to the OE color, or to the Dealer Repaint (if I can verify such), of would it be okay to do either if it was a point-of-sale request for the Gold????

Another correction to my initial post: I had a memory related brain fart, & when I looked at my California DMV Registration Cards, it indicated a first sold/registered date of 11/9/72, and my purchase/renewal cycle date as 12/26/75 - and not the early 1976 acquisition date that I was presuming from my earliest service record date! So I've actually owned my teener a few months longer than my decrepit mind had recalled, dating back 34+ years, and purchased her just past her 3rd Birthday!

Also - given that the Gold Metallic paint wasn't super fresh & new on 12/26/75 - like a recent accident repaint would be, since I had to do a repaint in 8/76, that lends credence to it either being a dealer/initial buyer requested repaint - or at least a very early accident repair/repaint to gold!

I also found out that Calif. DMV will do research into their microfilm records under an "Information Request" at $20 per yeaqr requested (11/9/72 - 12/26/75 is only 4 years & probably well worth the $80 to fill the gap! ....especially if I can recover the missing fog lights, center console/gauges & 2.0 Fuchs Alloys from the PO/OO!!!! ...or at least answer what happened to them & why, & why/how the Gold color!?

If you're in CA & want to get this research, just go to the dmv.ca.gov website & download the "Information Request" form, fill it out & send it in with your check! ...then wait.... yellowsleep[1].gif

Okay - now for some pix, but bear with me, since I have to upload them 1 at a time due to the posts' attachment size limit. After I can figure out how to upload the full 8-900 pix to a homepage - which I'll also have to figure out how to create, then I'll post a link back at the front on my first post here.

Starting with Rear End Work..... bootyshake.gif

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Click to view attachment
Tom_T

NEW VS OLD DAMAGED TOP STRIP - MINE DOESN'T LOOK SO BAD!

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Click to view attachment

2.0 MUFFLER NOT DAMAGED - JUST SURFACE RUST TO CLEAN UP -
...besides, I got it fom Midas back in `83 with a Lifetime Free Replacement Guarantee - paid exreee for it too!, so it's their problem when it goes! ...I just need to clean it up & repaint it for now!

Click to view attachment

Tom_T
NOW FOR THE FRONT END DAMAGE

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
MY MASHED FRONT BUMPER HORNS/TITS

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
BATTERY TRAY CRUD TO R&R + CLEAN UP OTHER SURFAVE RUST AT HELL-HOLE

Click to view attachment

Tom_T
PASSENGER SIDE FRONT FLOOR PAN RUST OUT JUST BEHIND STEERING RACK - 6" X 3"

Click to view attachment

WHERE IS THIS COMING FROM?
....SO I CAN FIX THE CAUSE TOO, SINCE THE NEXT FLOOR PAN SHOT INSIDE IS NOT RUSTED OUT

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
BOTH JACK POINTS - TUBES & BASES TO REPLACE - THIS IS PASSENGER SIDE
...YET TO SEE CONDITION BEHIND ROCKERS....

Click to view attachment

Tom_T

OE TAN LOOP / PILE CARPET AFTER 24 YEARS SINCE LAST CLEANED / VACUUMED

Click to view attachment

AND ALUMINUM THRESHOLDS OF EARLY `73s

Click to view attachment

Tom_T
OEM/S "VW 4412" AM/FM/8-TRACK STERIO/MONO RADIO/PLAYER WITH OE BASKETWEAVE-LOOK FACEPLATE

Click to view attachment

Tom_T
8-TRACK CARTRIDGE GOES IN HERE......

Click to view attachment

ID NUMBERS ON BOTTOM - ANY IDEA OF MAKER? E.G.: MOTOROLA, BLAUPUNKT, ETC.?

Click to view attachment

Tom_T
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
SEMPERIT "SST" "V1" 165HR15 OE SPARE TREAD PROD 2-1973 i THINK
...A REPLACEMENT TIRE, BUT I THINK IT WAS THE FIRST OEM TOO
....IT'S MOUNTED ON THE SILVER PAINTED PRESSED STEEL 5.5J X 15 WHEEL WITH THE "NEW MAG LOOK" CROSS DESIGN TO THE STAMPING

Click to view attachment

1983 KLEBER (MICHELIN SUSIDIARY) 165HR15 STEEL RADIALS - LAST / CURRENT TIRES ON RIVIERA MAGS AT 4 WHEELS - STILL GOOD TREAD BUT WELL PAST THEIR "SAFE LIFE" !!!!

Click to view attachment

Tom_T
LASTLY - OTHER ACCESSORIES - HARDT B14 BIKE RACKS FOR 914s
...ALSO HAVE SKI RACKS FOR 2 SKIIS ON 1 SIDE (CAN DO 2 ON EACH SIDE FOR 4 WITH 2 SETS OF RACKS), BUT THOSE PIX AREN;T TRIMMED DOWN YET!

Click to view attachment

Tom_T
BIKE RACK PARTS & BOX

Click to view attachment

BTHLA - BTHLA - THAT'S ALL FOLKS - FOR NOW! - (That's a Porky Pig Rendition for you Young-uns!)

BTW - the build date on this white914.jpg was 9/72 according to the COA lady!

pray.gif PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU ALL THINK CAN BE FIXED, smash.gif

VS

WHAT NEEDS TO BE CUT OUT & "NEW" STRAIGHT PARTS WELDED OR BOLTED IN??? sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

97 degrees out here today, as we went thru my deceased brother-in-law's stuff on the 914 - trying to make a permanent clear-out a reality. That's just too stinky hot! yeah, yeah - I know -it's a "dry heat" - still hot as devil.gif happy11.gif

OK - Now I'm DUN with type.gif for now & really need to yellowsleep[1].gif

///////
Tom_T

icon_bump.gif WUT - nobody looking at my post anymore - after I gave you all the Pix you asked for!? WTF.gif
Dave_Darling
I know that I wouldn't want to be doing that repair work. But then, I can't do bodywork.

WRT the spares: It was evidently pretty common for dealers to replace the spare alloy wheel with a steelie. If they did that to four cars, they could then sell the alloys as a full set, or possibly swap them onto a car that was delivered withs steel wheels.

Sometimes people wanted the Rivs instead of the Porsche alloys (Pedrini, Mahle, Fuchs). The dealer would usually be happy to oblige (while charging for it of course!).

--DD
Tom_T
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 21 2009, 07:26 AM) *

I know that I wouldn't want to be doing that repair work. But then, I can't do bodywork.

WRT the spares: It was evidently pretty common for dealers to replace the spare alloy wheel with a steelie. If they did that to four cars, they could then sell the alloys as a full set, or possibly swap them onto a car that was delivered withs steel wheels.

Sometimes people wanted the Rivs instead of the Porsche alloys (Pedrini, Mahle, Fuchs). The dealer would usually be happy to oblige (while charging for it of course!).

--DD

So I take it I should look for 5 Fuchs 2.0 Alloys then?

...yeah, then they could throw those other "steelies" into yet more "stripped 2.0's"!

BTW - I'm only going to do some of the more basic bodywork, rust work & maybe stripping & POR15 & priming, then turn it & the parts/parts car to the Paint & Body, Bumper/Re-chrome & unibody rack pro's! I can do maybe all but the F&R damage, & bottom & battery stand rust items - unless my buddy still has his welder - in which case we could take on the latter 2 items also.

I've done some less serious body work than the F&R above. A couple of weeks ago we finished up an inherited 88 Honda Civic for my kids use, doing minor chips, dings & rust areas, plus leading & bondo-ing the LF fender damage at the pic below. We got it to primer stage, then took it to MAACO for a quick urethane paint job, which we hope will last the kids 4-8+ years. That was a "practice car" for the 914 by my son & myself. smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

`88 HONDA CIVIC HATCHBACK "PRACTICE CAR" FOR MY UPCOMING `73 914-2.0 PROJECT
completed April `09 smile.gif next...... wacko.gif

Click to view attachment

tod914
That bike rack is very cool. Someone not too long ago made a post to see if they were ever offered for the 914. Good luck with the project. You came to the right place. Some very tallented people here which can point you in the right direction with body work.
Tom_T
QUOTE(tod914 @ Apr 21 2009, 03:32 PM) *

That bike rack is very cool. Someone not too long ago made a post to see if they were ever offered for the 914. Good luck with the project. You came to the right place. Some very tallented people here which can point you in the right direction with body work.

Thanx for the support Tod! smile.gif

Given my car's accident history rendering it probably not a CW candidate, I just want to try to resolve the rust issues, do the body work as cost effectively & efficiently as possible to get it street-worthy & looking good, such that it will last & maintain/increase in value over time. That will make my son happy to inherit a reasonably solid 914-2.0 one day! grouphug.gif

I'm not trying to make it into one that you can eat off of - like yours look/sound like, and those of others on here. I just cannot imagine owning a car like these for 35+/- years with only racking up 23k miles! I like to driving.gif my cars. To each his/her own though!

I had a buddy who got an early 70-4 1.7 who rarely drove it and would probably be in that category! Last time I saw his in the early 90's, his red paint, interiors, trunks, etc. ALL were still showroom fresh! We called him "Mr. Perfect" because he was that way about everything! He bought a 70 Datsun pick-up at the same time & drove it as his DD (for the yung-uns here - that's a "Nissan"!! biggrin.gif ), and only took the 914 out to wash it tenderly & stroke it a bit wub.gif , or to impress the ladies on a date! sheeplove.gif Don't know if he still has it though!? ...if so, he'd probably win just about any PCA Parade hands down with that one!

I guess I'll just "KISS" it, & get a bag of 50-100 of those white rivets @ 20 cents each from you for posterity's sake - unless they need to be rationed more for others? For $10-20 bucks + S&H - it can't hurt to have them on hand! PM me with the particulars for payment & mail? - check or credit card? How close to the ones in my pic on the rockers post are they? ....mine look like little white miniature "Dolly Parton Titties" - half-domed with a little extension on the top/cap probably to stabilize whatever tool they used to insert them.

Please do let me know if you ever run down the metal ones for the rocker tops & I'll get some of them too! smash.gif

Tom_T
FYI - UPDATE ON RESEARCHING OWNERSHIP & RESTO

Cal DMV turned out to be a dead-end, since even their microfilm/microfische records didn't go back to 1972 to get the original buyer from the 11/9/72 "sold new" date on my first DMV reg. card for 12/76-12/77. Ergo, when I can get to my old dead file records, I'll have to check if I still have anything on the PO, then try to track them down - if they're even around anymore - here in OC or otherwise - let alone if they have any more info on the car......just wish I knew to ask more back then! sad.gif

I suspect that when I let the registration lapse in 12/92 as the 914 continued to sit in the garage, that DMV canned the records, which MAY not have happened if I'd kept it on PNO. I'd planned to keep the PNO up at $5.00/yr., but they stopped sending the renewals after `92, & by the time I tracked it down they wanted $1000s & a smog test (car wasn't running at all by then), full registration, penalties & interest in order to reopen the registration. Hopefully they won't pull that BS now! dry.gif

However, that Cal DMV info request at their website MAY be useful for those with Cali 914s which have been continuously registered in CA.

I also got a shed up & am in the process of getting the stuff out of the garage so I can actually get 'er off the blocks & out!....& the shell in too. I'll post pix from outside once that's done, but probably to a fresh post - probably at the Garage section, as well as focused posts on specific originality/resto questions here.

I'm still awaiting correction of the erroneous COA, and a PCNA Regional Tech. Mgr. is coming out to inspect the 914 for recalls, & I'll get him to weigh-in on that too! More to come on that front too......

As to the resto - well, I've collected about 80-90% of the parts that I know I'll need - including a former racer 74 2L shell (Thanx Barry & Mike!) with the body panels I'll need - to repair, restore & rejuvenate my ole 73 914 2L.

There will still be more to get as I go forward, at the time they're actually needed, such, as:
> Injectors, Sensors, ECU/Rebuild, Fuel Pump, etc. for the EFI to be fresh.

> PMB F&R Caliper Restorations & Porterfield R4-S pads from Eric @ PMB - Thanx for the recco guys!

> Tires - ohhhh, that's a whole long & still undecided story elsewhere here!

> Seals & Rubber, depending upon what turns out to be in bad shape on closer inspection once I can get it out & look closer - but I know that I still need: L&R inner door seals, L&R front tits & front topper for sure - hopefully Mark @ Mikie914 comes thru on the tits soon, he has the topper, & I'll probably use his superior rear topper over the OE one I already bought - another great recco!

Still on the hunt for:

> Front Chrome Bumper - got good 71 restorable DD level cores & can use the rear, but will need to trade/sell the 71 front for a 73-74 with holes for the tit-studs (I know, I know, all you guys are tit studs! dry.gif )
- anyone got a trade? confused24.gif

> L&R Taillight Assemblies with VG-Excl USA Lenses - missed G&R Sunday due to work stuff, but will keep hunting
- any advantages of getting nice used/NOS over the AA repros for such lenses?? confused24.gif

> VG-Excl Driver & Pass. OE Loop Pile #503 tan & brown speckled Floor Mats, to match this carpet:
Click to view attachment

BTW - I will be going back to the OE L80E Light Ivory with #31 Beige Interior afterall, along with recreating all of the Appearance Group items originally on the car, but removed by the PO or dealer - incl.: fog lights/dash-switch, center console/gauges, & 5 Fuchs 2L alloy wheels - just got to clean them up & add them when she's ready to take them......but lotsa paint/body & mechanicals to do first! dry.gif

idea.gif ....hmmmm....let me know if I've left anything else unanswered or hanging here for now.
Cheers All!
beerchug.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 27 2009, 06:20 PM) *

FYI - UPDATE ON RESEARCHING OWNERSHIP & RESTO

Cal DMV turned out to be a dead-end, since even their microfilm/microfische records didn't go back to 1972 to get the original buyer from the 11/9/72 "sold new" date on my first DMV reg. card for 12/76-12/77. Ergo, when I can get to my old dead file records, I'll have to check if I still have anything on the PO, then try to track them down - if they're even around anymore - here in OC or otherwise - let alone if they have any more info on the car......just wish I knew to ask more back then! sad.gif

I suspect that when I let the registration lapse in 12/92 as the 914 continued to sit in the garage, that DMV canned the records, which MAY not have happened if I'd kept it on PNO. I'd planned to keep the PNO up at $5.00/yr., but they stopped sending the renewals after `92, & by the time I tracked it down they wanted $1000s & a smog test (car wasn't running at all by then), full registration, penalties & interest in order to reopen the registration. Hopefully they won't pull that BS now! dry.gif

However, that Cal DMV info request at their website MAY be useful for those with Cali 914s which have been continuously registered in CA.

I also got a shed up & am in the process of getting the stuff out of the garage so I can actually get 'er off the blocks & out!....& the shell in too. I'll post pix from outside once that's done, but probably to a fresh post - probably at the Garage section, as well as focused posts on specific originality/resto questions here.

I'm still awaiting correction of the erroneous COA, and a PCNA Regional Tech. Mgr. is coming out to inspect the 914 for recalls, & I'll get him to weigh-in on that too! More to come on that front too......

As to the resto - well, I've collected about 80-90% of the parts that I know I'll need - including a former racer 74 2L shell (Thanx Barry & Mike!) with the body panels I'll need - to repair, restore & rejuvenate my ole 73 914 2L.

There will still be more to get as I go forward, at the time they're actually needed, such, as:
> Injectors, Sensors, ECU/Rebuild, Fuel Pump, etc. for the EFI to be fresh.

> PMB F&R Caliper Restorations & Porterfield R4-S pads from Eric @ PMB - Thanx for the recco guys!

> Tires - ohhhh, that's a whole long & still undecided story elsewhere here!

> Seals & Rubber, depending upon what turns out to be in bad shape on closer inspection once I can get it out & look closer - but I know that I still need: L&R inner door seals, L&R front tits & front topper for sure - hopefully Mark @ Mikie914 comes thru on the tits soon, he has the topper, & I'll probably use his superior rear topper over the OE one I already bought - another great recco!

Still on the hunt for:

> Front Chrome Bumper - got good 71 restorable DD level cores & can use the rear, but will need to trade/sell the 71 front for a 73-74 with holes for the tit-studs (I know, I know, all you guys are tit studs! dry.gif )
- anyone got a trade? confused24.gif

> L&R Taillight Assemblies with VG-Excl USA Lenses - missed G&R Sunday due to work stuff, but will keep hunting
- any advantages of getting nice used/NOS over the AA repros for such lenses?? confused24.gif

> VG-Excl Driver & Pass. OE Loop Pile #503 tan & brown speckled Floor Mats, to match this carpet:
Click to view attachment

BTW - I will be going back to the OE L80E Light Ivory with #31 Beige Interior afterall, along with recreating all of the Appearance Group items originally on the car, but removed by the PO or dealer - incl.: fog lights/dash-switch, center console/gauges, & 5 Fuchs 2L alloy wheels - just got to clean them up & add them when she's ready to take them......but lotsa paint/body & mechanicals to do first! dry.gif

idea.gif ....hmmmm....let me know if I've left anything else unanswered or hanging here for now.
Cheers All!
beerchug.gif

Yes...did you say that you had a picture of an aftermarket ski rack for teeners? I remember seeing plenty of them here in so-cal back in teh 70's......yes I am old enough!

Thanks if you have one or a picture.

Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.