Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TALIMENA 1
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Red86944 @ Apr 7 2009, 06:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Rusty @ Apr 4 2009, 11:06 PM) *

Bumping this thread and subscribing. I'd love to do Talimena again this year!

-Rusty

Barney!!
how are you??? I have missed you so much biggrin.gif ....hey dont tell Clay I told you this...but sunday at the AX I bet him in the 924S...... driving-girl.gif

She also beat Betty...

And considering that she beat a stock 76HP 914 1.8L with a well prepped 150HP 924S, well it ain't much of an accomplishment. poke.gif

Grngoat
Maybe you already talked to him, Clay. But Richard called me today. He is planning to go. I'm going to stay at his cabin, but we'll still drink and cookout with you. Maybe even have some Jello.

My car is broke again. Got home after the AX and pulled the tires to dismount and rotate. The passenger front is octagonal with flat spots and completely gone. The driver side is fine, but for a little wear on the inside. Shock oil is all over the passenger side suspension and wheel well. Wish I'd noticed that before.

New tires and Koni's are in the mail. With any luck it'll be back together this weekend. It never ends.

BTW, was it intentional that this is the same weekend as the next autocross at Pennington. Are you coming back Saturday night to make it, or are you skipping it? I kind of hate to miss the ones at Pennington. They're so close.
ClayPerrine
It was not intentional. I did not look a the Maverick AX schedule when Joseph and I picked the date.

I can't speak for Travis and Robyn, but I am not driving back on Saturday night. We tried that one year, and it was a miserable drive back in the dark, and we were absolutely miserable the next day.

I am glad Richard is coming. He and Riva are always fun to be with.

QUOTE(Thoward914 @ Apr 7 2009, 08:09 PM) *

Ken,

If you don't count the 3 schools we (PCA Maverick region) put on at the first of the year. We have 6 regular ax's and 6 Time Trials (high speed ax's). Two of the Time Trials this year will be at a real race track (MotorSport Ranch). Some of the cars will hit 90-100 mph at the TT's out in Mineral Wells, a 60 acre asphalt pad that was used to tie down helicopters at a Vietnam era Army training base. driving.gif

Travis..
That just ain't right. dry.gif
Mid-South Region has 2 DE's and the 2 mentioned ax's. The ax's are on part of Memphis MotorSports Park road course so I guess that counts for something. Last year they had 3 on part of the track and 3 on the same venues parking lot. The Regions calendar showed 6 ax's this year until last week. Something about new owners at the track. They say they are trying to save money. Yada, Yada.

Guess I should have went to the cooking school they had last month. barf.gif

We have an active SCAA and the BMW club also puts on a monthly ax so I am able to get some seat time.

I complained to the National PCA. The responce from the National people was I should think about traveling to adjoining regions to ax. 2 hours to LR or 3 hrs to Nashville or Jackson. MS would make for a very long day for 6 or so 1 minute rides.

See ya'll next month...

jt914-6
Mena hit by tornado tonight. Hope 'yall don't plan on eating in downtown Mena.....
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(PH1 @ Apr 7 2009, 09:14 PM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Apr 4 2009, 11:48 PM) *

If you do come up through Memphis there are two of us for sure leaving out of Memphis sometime Friday. Feel free to convoy on up with us.

Got any suggestions for a hotel that would be on the way through town?

What price range and what type of accomodations you need? Want it just outside of Memphis in Olive branch or in Memphis. Let me know and I will check things out for you.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Apr 9 2009, 11:07 PM) *

Mena hit by tornado tonight. Hope 'yall don't plan on eating in downtown Mena.....

That is normally where we have lunch. I will keep an eye on the news.

jt914-6
Downtown Mena was hit pretty good from what I've seen and heard on the local news. You may have to choose another place for lunch.
cooltimes
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090410/ap_on_.../severe_weather

Click on BOTTOM video for ABC
914four
[/quote]

What price range and what type of accomodations you need? Want it just outside of Memphis in Olive branch or in Memphis. Let me know and I will check things out for you.
[/quote]

Any express type hotel for two on the way through town from B'ham is fine. Thanks for the help because I am not familiar with the Memphis area and although I feel sure Memphis is a very nice town I don't want to end up on the wrong side town in a pay by the hour dump.
hot_shoe914
[quote name='PH1' date='Apr 10 2009, 11:23 PM' post='1156631']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Any express type hotel for two on the way through town from B'ham is fine. Thanks for the help because I am not familiar with the Memphis area and although I feel sure Memphis is a very nice town I don't want to end up on the wrong side town in a pay by the hour dump.
[/quote]

I was out of town this weekend but will do some checking for you this week and get back to you with a few options.
srthompson01
Called a friend that lives that way...... Mena is pretty much gone restaurantwise except for a barbecue place outside of town. Queen Wilhemena lodge on Talimena drive is OK. By the time we go there there should be more accommodations. WalMart survived.

What do Tornadoes and Arkansas divorce have in common?

A lot of noise and someone is losing their mobile home.
jcambo7
QUOTE(srthompson01 @ Apr 13 2009, 09:22 AM) *

Called a friend that lives that way...... Mena is pretty much gone restaurantwise except for a barbecue place outside of town. Queen Wilhemena lodge on Talimena drive is OK. By the time we go there there should be more accommodations. WalMart survived.

What do Tornadoes and Arkansas divorce have in common?

A lot of noise and someone is losing their mobile home.

av-943.gif av-943.gif
Well hopefully I can get my car running before the trip. I really would like to go especially in my 914! driving.gif
Thoward914
Clay,
Has anyone tried to contact Mike and Julie Floyd?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Thoward914 @ Apr 13 2009, 02:06 PM) *

Clay,
Has anyone tried to contact Mike and Julie Floyd?

he has a CVAR race at eagles canyon that weekend
ClayPerrine
icon_bump.gif

biggrin.gif
hot_shoe914
Just a shameless bump.
spare time toys
Is there a photo thread?
Rusty
Is there a search feature? poke.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=talimena

ClayPerrine
icon_bump.gif

Only a few weeks away!!!

driving-girl.gif
jcambo7
I can't wait. Im hoping to be there with my 914! driving.gif drunk.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Apr 18 2009, 12:02 AM) *

Just a shameless bump.

After looking at thread from previous run ole Hot Shoe needs to tell of his off roading experiance last fall up on the Pig Trail on NW Ark.

I looked back in the rearview after a nice downhill switchback to just see a cloud of dust and gravel flying along the outside of the curve and out into a yard. No damage and it really didn't even slow ole Donald down.... w00t.gif

Ken
jcambo7
icon_bump.gif
Just an update on my status...I started my car yesterday! piratenanner.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif
Now I just need to mess around with the idle cuz it idle's way too high. So far it looks like I will be able to drive my 914 to Talimena! aktion035.gif driving.gif
Here is the link of the youtube vid I put up on from yesterday of it running
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cagcRnNSx2k
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Apr 21 2009, 10:48 AM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Apr 18 2009, 12:02 AM) *

Just a shameless bump.

After looking at thread from previous run ole Hot Shoe needs to tell of his off roading experiance last fall up on the Pig Trail on NW Ark.

I looked back in the rearview after a nice downhill switchback to just see a cloud of dust and gravel flying along the outside of the curve and out into a yard. No damage and it really didn't even slow ole Donald down.... w00t.gif

Ken

Well I believe we were well past the pig trail, even though I did spin out on the trail also, but it was a really fun ride. Long downhill with a sweeper to the right. me, well I was doing a little too much sight seeing and suddenly realized I was into the sweeper too fast. Not really too fast as much as I was in the wrong gear to power out of the curve so I ended up doing this really awesome NASCAR slide through most of the sweeper and already had my spot picked in the yard where I was going to land. Fortunately the 914 Gods were watching out for me and I stopped with only the back half of the car off road. Stuck her back in first and nailed it slinging dirt, grass and gravel everywhere as I let out a big ol YEEEEE HAAAAA and kept on trucking. WAS A NICE RUSH!!!

p.s. I bought new tires the next week!
jcambo7
shameless bump
icon_bump.gif
Joseph Mills
Hey guys!

We're workin' on some cool stickers for Talimena!

Also workin' on our right handed elbow crunches. beer.gif

Curt won't be able to attend this year, so we'll need to bring our own firewood. biggrin.gif

Shall we have a blind-folded autocross this year?

I'll be having breakfast at Pam's Diner this Saturday morning.

Afterwards I'll be rocking Talimena Drive on this... driving.gif

Click to view attachment

Doing about 60 miles of the hills - gonna be brutal but awesome!

Later!

hot_shoe914
icon_bump.gif
srthompson01
Unless that was an inside joke about firewood, I can bring plenty.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(srthompson01 @ May 6 2009, 10:36 PM) *

Unless that was an inside joke about firewood, I can bring plenty.

It's somewhat of an inside joke.

But, please, bring on the firewood! It will be so much appreciated!

Since I've been away from this forum for a long, long time, here is the long, long version.

I lost my mind and started this event about 5 years ago. At that time, my nearest 914 dude was Curt in Tulsa, a 914 guy that I didn't really know, who offered and came down and helped me drop and rebuild my engine! Just like that! Curt is awesome! His attitude propelled me into the 914 world!

I recalled that in the late 70's Car & Driver magazine identified Talimena as one of the top 10 sports car roads in America. We decided that this needed to be proved behind the wheel of a 914.

If you use the search word SPARKY, you'll learn all about my blood and sweat, and all about the most awesome 914 ever - or at least in my mind smile.gif 1st Place SCCA OK Region in CSP (a hard task with national champs in a honda and a miata), beat every old 911 in AX (porsche club hated me), beat that guy from Tulsa at the MUSR in Muskogee!, and demolished all Talimena pretenders.

At the same time, the 914 MUSR was going on (MUSR: Mid United States Ramble).

A tip of the hat to my friend Charley, a VERY big 914 guy, who Clay knows way better than I (that's another story), the term "Ramble" was humbly adopted with approval from a west coast contingency (?), that had done some similar events in the past (before the internet... anyone still awake?), permission was actually sought and honored.

Anyway, from the Rambles, I met and came to know Clay & Betty, which as far as I know are still successfully evading Federal Agents and between the two of them, are pretty much the voice & mind and heart & soul of 914TEXAS!!!!!!!!

Betty, if you don't know already, is... quick... in the twisties...

I'm just sayin.... been awhile...

About two years ago, or three?... Curt, who is a professional cabinet maker, built some wooden 914 bumpers (cheaper and lighter than fiberglass - remember when Porsche was racing 914's they had balsa wood struts in their hoods?).

Anyway, every year after that, when we're cold, miserable, huddled like refugees around a dying fire in Miss Kitty's parking lot, staring at our beautiful lightweight steel, fiber glass, aluminum, carbon fiber creations, the subject of Curt's Wooden Bumpers seem to come to the forefront.

Anybody got a 13mm socket?

and some matches?

I'm friggin' cold!

Lookin' to see'in ya'll real soon ya' hear?

joseph

MBowman325
Yet another example of the selfless sacrifices the members of the 914 community can make. biggrin.gif (And why I didn't buy that Triumph Spitfire instead of the 914)

I'm looking forward to it. Even have a backup dog-sitter lined up, just in case. (redoing rear shocks / springs tonight, rear trunk hinges soon and the o-ring for the 901 and H4 headlights when they come in.)

Anybody know what their travel plans are yet?
Betty
"About two years ago, or three?... Curt, who is a professional cabinet maker, built some wooden 914 bumpers (cheaper and lighter than fiberglass - remember when Porsche was racing 914's they had balsa wood struts in their hoods?).

Anyway, every year after that, when we're cold, miserable, huddled like refugees around a dying fire in Miss Kitty's parking lot, staring at our beautiful lightweight steel, fiber glass, aluminum, carbon fiber creations, the subject of Curt's Wooden Bumpers seem to come to the forefront.

Anybody got a 13mm socket?

and some matches?

I'm friggin' cold!"

Aww... thanks Joseph! wub.gif I do okay for having the slowest car in my particular PCA region. driving-girl.gif lol-2.gif

If I remember correctly, the last time we were sitting around the parking lot cooking hamburgers after the drive, Curt mentioned to somebody that he was going to put regular bumpers on his car and the wooden ones were going to get tossed. Well, the great Rust Boy (Lawrence) decided that just would not do! To allow something that had been the butt of SO many jokes for so long, just get tossed out without some sort of ceremony... so he - with Curt's permission - broke off a piece of the wooden bumper and said he had a "Higher Purpose" for it. He was going to make something out of it. smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif I'm not sure what ever became of that... but we did throw some of the bumper on the BBQ grill and stand around drinking to it. beerchug.gif
Betty
"Anybody know what their travel plans are yet?"

We haven't even started thinking about travel plans yet. I had to actually break down and put a new starter and alternator on my car last weekend because Clay's faking a broken collar bone to get out of working on my car! biggrin.gif

But we are already working feverishly on "FIRMING UP" our beverage plans. Get it.... "firming up".... Robyn and I are getting together to make jello shots to bring along????? lol-2.gif

Come on! Important things first here! happy11.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Betty @ May 7 2009, 02:42 PM) *

"Anybody know what their travel plans are yet?"

We haven't even started thinking about travel plans yet. I had to actually break down and put a new starter and alternator on my car last weekend because Clay's faking a broken collar bone to get out of working on my car! biggrin.gif

But we are already working feverishly on "FIRMING UP" our beverage plans. Get it.... "firming up".... Robyn and I are getting together to make jello shots to bring along????? lol-2.gif

Come on! Important things first here! happy11.gif

Ken and I will be leaving Memphis Sometime on Friday if he ever gets his bucket of bolts running again. Take the injection off...put the carbs on...Take the carbs off...put the injection back on...car runs like crap...Yanked the injection back off....puts the carbs back on...car doesn't run. SHESH...am I the only 914 owner who never works on my car and just gets in it and driving.gif the post-2-1117899824.gif out of it? confused24.gif
srthompson01
about what time will people be arriving.......

I'm pretty flexible
Joseph Mills
As long as work permits, I'm considering driving down early Friday morning. I plan on riding about 30-40 miles of Talimena Drive on my road bike.

It's a good thing that this year we didn't stay with our event date from previous years, which was last weekend. I went down with a bike group last weekend and of the planned 60 miles, we rode about 10 miles before we had to abandon, due to heavy rain and thunder. And it rained all damn weekend. mad.gif

Hopefully, we'll have great weather.

If all goes as planned, I'll arrive there about noon and be back from my ride around 4-5:00pm.

A few soggy pics...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

ClayPerrine
Betty and I are coming up during the day. We should be there in the afternoon. Travis and Robyn will be arriving late, Robyn has to work.

There won't be any caravan up from DFW this year.

See y'all there.
MBowman325
I'm gonna try to get off early Friday to get there. If that doesn't happen then I'll be leaving the OKC area around 5:30 - 6ish probably which looks like a 9-10 arrival time..

Hope to get out earlier than that.
MBowman325
Speaking of "firming up" the beverage plans - is there anything I can chip in or bring? And how are those plans firming up?
biggrin.gif
She's Alive!!!!!! She's Alive!!!!!!

Running Ljet(don't ask why I took it off), carbs don't work(wrong linkage and this newbie didn't catch it headbang.gif , Ljet don't work when reinstalled(started everytime but would not stay running) headbang.gif , carbs back on with correct linkage and they are a singing... piratenanner.gif

Dam that looks like a nightmare this last weekend. U bikers are crazy. My wife started about a year age and she also runs half marathons.. confused24.gif Sounds like real torture to me??

Like Don said we will be leaving Friday early. Don't kow if Don ever got the group from Bama a room in Memphis for Thur so not sure of any caravans from here. We plan on driving to Telihena but are driving back to Hot Springs on Fri evening and staying with my Dad. Will return early Sat and have a room at the Inn for that night.
Hey Betty, I have now worked in 6 trips down the Route.... aktion035.gif
Also plan on alternate route back to Memphis on Sun up the Forsche River valley and then down Hwy 7 to Hwy 5 before getting back on that boring Freeway Grind!!

Rambled enough and sure looking forward to this weekend!!!

Ken smoke.gif
Betty
QUOTE(MBowman325 @ May 11 2009, 08:43 AM) *

Speaking of "firming up" the beverage plans - is there anything I can chip in or bring? And how are those plans firming up?
biggrin.gif

Those plans will be "firming up" right before we leave for the event. According to Robyn if you make them too far ahead they get awfully strong for some reason. We haven't figured that one out yet. biggrin.gif

For you non-Oklahoma people; if I remember correctly (you Okie's correct me if I'm wrong).... Oklahoma has two "levels" of beer, 3.2 (lower alcohol content) and normal beer (higher alcohol content). If you want to buy normal beer, it has to be sold unrefrigerated (so you have to figure in the time it'll take to cool it down).

They have one local grocery store where you can buy beer (we all chip in and get the fixings for the cookout there) but if you want something special or exotic, you'll have to bring it yourself (Corona is about as wild and crazy as they get). We have had ALL sorts of beverages brought by people - everything from wine, to beer (ask Lawrence about the Purple Haze beer to go with his PURPLE car!), to shots, to liquor for mixed drinks - whatever your heart desires. Even had one person bring a mixer for strawberry daquiris! The motel does have ice but that's all they have.

... I wonder if it's possible to clean up some Fuchs center caps and use them as shot glasses? happy11.gif Just kidding. I'm actually happy as a clam sitting there with a beer in one hand and some of Robyn's jello shots in the other. aktion035.gif I've already got our high-tech, awesomely cool, bottle openers all polished up and ready to go! beerchug.gif (they really are cool, just wait until you see them!)

Oh yeah, you might want to bring a folding camping chair if you have one, they're more comfortable than the chairs in the hotel rooms.
Betty
QUOTE(7275914911 @ May 11 2009, 09:19 AM) *

I think that makes you the new World Champeen and Title Belt Holder. I've only ever heard of people doing four trips before! biggrin.gif
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(7275914911 @ May 11 2009, 09:19 AM) *

We plan on driving to Telihena but are driving back to Hot Springs on Fri evening and staying with my Dad. Will return early Sat and have a room at the Inn for that night.

DAMN!

w00t.gif driving.gif w00t.gif driving.gif wacko.gif driving.gif w00t.gif

Joseph Mills
There are several liquor stores in town for weer, bine, skin, gotch, bodka, vourbon, etc.

drunk.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif drunk.gif sheeplove.gif popcorn[1].gif smoke.gif drunk.gif

Grngoat
Richard Fisher and I were planning to leave DFW around noon Friday.

He was up there this weekend with some motorcycles. One of them hit a deer. Ouch.
Betty
QUOTE(Grngoat @ May 11 2009, 11:05 PM) *

Richard Fisher and I were planning to leave DFW around noon Friday.

He was up there this weekend with some motorcycles. One of them hit a deer. Ouch.

We'll probably be leaving a little after you guys do (assuming we get my car running that is. Bolt that holds the fan on sheared off. Last night we got as far as partially drilling the left over bolt out and hope to finish it up tonight). If we can't get it fixed we'll show up in Clay's Porsche Valdez towing a small trailer full of cases of oil. lol-2.gif

Besides, there's NO way my poor little 1.8 could ever keep up with you two bad boys! driving.gif driving.gif

Holy Cow! Is whoever hit the deer with the motorcycle ok?
Betty
QUOTE(Joseph Mills @ May 11 2009, 11:02 PM) *

There are several liquor stores in town for weer, bine, skin, gotch, bodka, vourbon, etc.

Heh, heh, heh..... Joseph's been working out already. Those 12 ounce diminishing curls can really get to you! biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Betty @ May 12 2009, 09:26 AM) *

We'll probably be leaving a little after you guys do (assuming we get my car running that is. Bolt that holds the fan on sheared off. Last night we got as far as partially drilling the left over bolt out and hope to finish it up tonight). If we can't get it fixed we'll show up in Clay's Porsche Valdez towing a small trailer full of cases of oil. lol-2.gif

Besides, there's NO way my poor little 1.8 could ever keep up with you two bad boys! driving.gif driving.gif

If that happens, I will consider tossing in my mechanic's duds.... and if we bring my car, we will be at the back of the line..... :oilleaksmiley:
hot_shoe914
Will I get scolded again if I pass a slowpoke? If so I want to be in the front and the scolder can stones.gif my bootyshake.gif
Grngoat
I'm sure Richard will tell the whole story this weekend, but last I heard he was still in the hospital. Bunch of broken bones in his face and elsewhere.

Hope you get your care fixed. It's been difficult lately.
Betty
QUOTE(Grngoat @ May 13 2009, 10:18 AM) *

Hope you get your care fixed. It's been difficult lately.

We finished it up late last night. I drove him to work this morning so everything seems to be working fine. driving-girl.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.