Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TALIMENA 1
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
ClayPerrine
All,
It is time again for the annual Talimena 1 Run, on May 15, 16, and 17th. Come join us for a spirited drive from Talihina Oklahoma to Mena Arkansas along Highway 1 that runs the top of the Winding stair mountains.

Friday we arrive and sit at the hotel and socialize. Saturday we get up and drive to Mena along Highway 1. This is a "spirited" drive driving.gif driving-girl.gif with frequent stops for pictures and whatever. Then we eat lunch in Mena, turn around and drive back to Talihina.

In the evening the owner of the Kiamichi Inn allows us to push the cars back and have a cookout chowtime.gif in the parking lot, with lots of adult beverages. drunk.gif Then we don't have to drive anywhere, we can just walk (or stumble as the case may be ) to the rooms to sleep. Sunday we get up and drive home.

No pressure, no awards, no nothing... just a fun drive and a cookout with friends.

Anyone is welcome, even "Water Pumpers".... poke.gif

For room reservations, call the Kiamichi Inn (504 Dallas St. Talihina, Ok, 74571) at 918-567-2243. VERY important, tell "Kitty" or Carmin you're with the 914 group. Oh.. rooms 11 (Joseph Mills) and 14 (Betty and I) are already reserved.

I hope a lot of you who have never been there show up....
Betty
icon_bump.gif
ClayPerrine
Saturday event schedule done in World Smilies....

yellowsleep[1].gif

chowtime.gif

driving-girl.gif driving.gif

chowtime.gif

chowtime.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif drunk.gif barf.gif

yellowsleep[1].gif
MBowman325
I've got it penciled in on my calender. Need to make arrangements in a few matters for that weekend. Have always wanted to go, but have yet to make it - oughta be able to do it this year.
jt914-6
If anything I and others could possibly meet the group in Mena for lunch. Do you know where you will be eating? About what time?
Is anyone from Texas or Oklahoma going to Hallett Oklahoma the first weekend of May to the PCA driver's ed? I'm thrashing to get my project 914-6 ready for that. Would be nice to see more 914's there........
Thoward914
Betty,

I can't believe you would Bump a thread just to increase your post count. happy11.gif stirthepot.gif
Hey Clay, Betty and Travis,

Memphis crew hopes to see ya'll there. We have a friend in OKC that might also try and make the trip.

Ken

beerchug.gif
Betty
QUOTE(Thoward914 @ Mar 25 2009, 10:11 PM) *

Betty,

I can't believe you would Bump a thread just to increase your post count. happy11.gif stirthepot.gif

I didn't do it. Clay was sitting at my computer and bumped the thread without my knowing it.
Betty
Besides... when have I ever been interested in post count? biggrin.gif
Betty
QUOTE(MBowman325 @ Mar 25 2009, 11:53 AM) *

I've got it penciled in on my calender. Need to make arrangements in a few matters for that weekend. Have always wanted to go, but have yet to make it - oughta be able to do it this year.

Forget pencil - use permanent marker on your calendar! biggrin.gif It's been forever since we've seen you! You'll kick yourself if you miss it!!

The drive is incredible - BOTH WAYS... and these are the absolute nicest people you'll ever meet! Not to mention the party Satuday evening in the motel parking lot. aktion035.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Betty @ Mar 26 2009, 11:13 AM) *

Betty,

I didn't do it. Clay was sitting at my computer and bumped the thread without my knowing it.

Actually she did it.. she just doesn't want to admit it. poke.gif

Red86944
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 26 2009, 08:27 PM) *

Betty,

Clay why are you always trying to get Betty in trouble?? happy11.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Red86944 @ Mar 26 2009, 10:14 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 26 2009, 08:27 PM) *

Betty,

Clay why are you always trying to get Betty in trouble?? happy11.gif

Because you are not around ..... stirthepot.gif
Betty
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Mar 26 2009, 11:12 AM) *

Hey Clay, Betty and Travis,

Memphis crew hopes to see ya'll there. We have a friend in OKC that might also try and make the trip.

Ken

beerchug.gif

Hi there! The more the merrier! biggrin.gif

I looked at the route you could take to get to Talihina. If you have the time you could run Mena-Talihina coming in AND Talihina-Mena on your way back to Memphis. You'd get FOUR shots at the road!!! driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
QUOTE(Betty @ Mar 27 2009, 10:40 AM) *

You'd get FOUR shots at the road!!! driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

I'm with you there! driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

I had planned on going thru HS where my Dad lives. So yes we were going to come across that way and go home that way. I have driven a few roads in this area but never back up the Ouachita River into OK. Pulled a few maps up all ready and the route looks great!!

Talk to ya'll later

hot_shoe914
I might tag along if my piece of junk is still running then and funds are available.
spare time toys
Just a bump back up top
A&PGirl
I'd like to come, but that depends on a lot factors...
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(A&PGirl @ Mar 29 2009, 01:52 PM) *

I'd like to come, but that depends on a lot factors...

You don't have to have your 914 running to come. Just bring another car. We aren't elitists, we drive 914s. biggrin.gif

Last year, half the group was 911s, we had a couple of 944s, and an Acura.

ClayPerrine
icon_bump.gif
jcambo7
Sweet. If my 914 is running and doing well enough for the trip I will definitely be joining. Hopefully it is. I got a little over a month. aktion035.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Apr 2 2009, 12:11 AM) *

Sweet. If my 914 is running and doing well enough for the trip I will definitely be joining. Hopefully it is. I got a little over a month. aktion035.gif

If you can't get the 914 running, bring the Honda. We would like you to have your 914, but it is not mandatory. Heck.. We even allow Robyn Howard to bring her 944... poke.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 2 2009, 07:12 AM) *

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Apr 2 2009, 12:11 AM) *

If you can't get the 914 running, bring the Honda. We would like you to have your 914, but it is not mandatory. Heck.. We even allow Robyn Howard to bring her 944... poke.gif

Ok cool. Won't be as fun though but better than not going right. piratenanner.gif driving.gif
hot_shoe914
If I come I will most likely have a spare seat if anybody isn't too afraid to ride with me.

driving.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Apr 3 2009, 12:58 AM) *

If I come I will most likely have a spare seat if anybody isn't too afraid to ride with me.

driving.gif

I definitely won't be afraid. As long as I get out of the car shaking from the thrill and adrenaline I am 100% game to ride with u. drunk.gif aktion035.gif
Grngoat
[/quote]
I definitely won't be afraid.
[/quote]

Don't be so sure! Have you ever met Don? He might be the inspiration for the movie "Death Proof". screwy.gif

Clay/Betty:
Good chance I'll be there this year. Any idea if Richard Fisher is coming? I haven't talked to him in a while.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Grngoat @ Apr 3 2009, 02:05 AM) *

Clay/Betty:
Good chance I'll be there this year. Any idea if Richard Fisher is coming? I haven't talked to him in a while.

I need to get in touch with Richard,Rich Johnson and Joe Yoder to see if they can make it.
MBowman325
I'll be calling the hotel today for reservations. smile.gif
QUOTE(Grngoat @ Apr 3 2009, 01:05 AM) *

Don't be so sure! Have you ever met Don? He might be the inspiration for the movie "Death Proof". screwy.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
Betty
Avery, you HAVE to come! Robin and I will save some of the very choicest jello shots for you if you do! (yeah I know... girly stuff. I don't care, it's still booze) beer3.gif (what would a jello shot smiley look like anyway???)

So... you bringing the Caddy? (just kidding... although you'd still kick our butts in that thing too!) driving.gif

As far as scaring people..... I have a points system. If I can make my passenger "squeak" coming up to (I can brake REAL deep) or going around a corner - it's a point for me. If they don't squeak - it's a point for them. Loser buys the winner a drink when it's over. smilie_pokal.gif driving-girl.gif
Betty
QUOTE(MBowman325 @ Apr 3 2009, 08:12 AM) *

I'll be calling the hotel today for reservations. smile.gif

That is AWESOME!!! aktion035.gif I am SO psyched!!!

MBowman325
Just a heads up -

They're down to 2 rooms for us. I assume that this is for the group allotment request and not the entire hotel, shoulda asked.

biggrin.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Apr 3 2009, 01:14 AM) *

driving.gif

I definitely won't be afraid. As long as I get out of the car shaking from the thrill and adrenaline I am 100% game to ride with u. drunk.gif aktion035.gif

No need to be afraid young Teener Owner, I have only wrecked one..........so far.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
jcambo7
[quote name='Grngoat' date='Apr 3 2009, 02:05 AM' post='1153481']
[/quote]
I definitely won't be afraid.
[/quote]

Clay/Betty:
[/quote]
Well my brother in law has taking my in his 914 6/gt and I will tell you one thing, it wasn't just some cozy ride. It was fast and tight turning drive. I will enjoy the thrill. Love it even more when it's in a 914 wizzing around and taking tight corners. driving.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(Betty @ Apr 3 2009, 03:30 PM) *

Avery, you HAVE to come! Robin and I will save some of the very choicest jello shots for you if you do! (yeah I know... girly stuff. I don't care, it's still booze) beer3.gif (what would a jello shot smiley look like anyway???)

So... you bringing the Caddy? (just kidding... although you'd still kick our butts in that thing too!) driving.gif

As far as scaring people..... I have a points system. If I can make my passenger "squeak" coming up to (I can brake REAL deep) or going around a corner - it's a point for me. If they don't squeak - it's a point for them. Loser buys the winner a drink when it's over. smilie_pokal.gif driving-girl.gif

I bet I would win. poke.gif biggrin.gif I don't squeek. I would hoot and hollor for you to go faster on the straights and faster on the corners! biggrin.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Apr 4 2009, 12:07 AM) *

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Apr 3 2009, 01:14 AM) *

driving.gif

No need to be afraid young Teener Owner, I have only wrecked one..........so far.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I guess I should bring a body suit & finish up my will. I think I will send my 914 to Jon(Pheonix 914GT/6). lol-2.gif av-943.gif I am pretty sure I can have my car up n running n drivable by May 15th though, I sure do hope so. We will just have to see. piratenanner.gif
Grngoat

No, I'd be in the 914. I got the trans back in just in time for last weeks AX. Had something like 92 miles on it, including the drive to Mineral Wells. Where were you?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Grngoat @ Apr 4 2009, 03:13 PM) *

No, I'd be in the 914. I got the trans back in just in time for last weeks AX. Had something like 92 miles on it, including the drive to Mineral Wells. Where were you?

Home... Betty and I were working on our cars. Mine is still down... Still has the oil leak. Hers wasn't up to a drive to Mineral Wells. No Alternator. The harness from the relay board to the Alternator broke. I am putting it in as soon as it cools down. We will be there in her car tomorrow.

Grngoat
Typical. Mine has been down since I got back from the Rocket City Ramble. Just outside of Little Rock the front mainshaft bearing gave out. I was able to drive it home in fourth, though. Fifth kept popping out.

Old cars.
Rusty
Bumping this thread and subscribing. I'd love to do Talimena again this year!

-Rusty
914four
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 21 2009, 08:43 PM) *

All,

Betty mentioned this event to Donna last year at the RCR. It sounds like a nice trip and a great time in an area of the country I have never seen before. Anyone going from or through Birmingham? We are thinking about going up to Memphis Thursday afternoon and heading on to Talihina Friday.

Kelvin
Tom_T
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 21 2009, 06:43 PM) *

All,
It is time again for the annual Talimena 1 Run, on May 15, 16, and 17th. Come join us for a spirited drive from Talihina Oklahoma to Mena Arkansas along Highway 1 that runs the top of the Winding stair mountains.

Friday we arrive and sit at the hotel and socialize. Saturday we get up and drive to Mena along Highway 1. This is a "spirited" drive driving.gif driving-girl.gif with frequent stops for pictures and whatever. Then we eat lunch in Mena, turn around and drive back to Talihina.

In the evening the owner of the Kiamichi Inn allows us to push the cars back and have a cookout chowtime.gif in the parking lot, with lots of adult beverages. drunk.gif Then we don't have to drive anywhere, we can just walk (or stumble as the case may be ) to the rooms to sleep. Sunday we get up and drive home.

No pressure, no awards, no nothing... just a fun drive and a cookout with friends.

Anyone is welcome, even "Water Pumpers".... poke.gif

For room reservations, call the Kiamichi Inn (504 Dallas St. Talihina, Ok, 74571) at 918-567-2243. VERY important, tell "Kitty" or Carmin you're with the 914 group. Oh.. rooms 11 (Joseph Mills) and 14 (Betty and I) are already reserved.

Sounds interesting for next year when I hopefully have my 73 2L running again! driving.gif

Haven't heard of the Talimina Run before this, but I've driven the 82/10/100 between Tahlequah & Sallisaw many times in other vehicles - mostly rentals lately & my 88 Westfalia `95-`01 every September & other times. So I'm guessing this is similar country & "twists"!

Tom
Orange, CA
///////
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(PH1 @ Apr 4 2009, 11:08 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 21 2009, 08:43 PM) *

All,

Betty mentioned this event to Donna last year at the RCR. It sounds like a nice trip and a great time in an area of the country I have never seen before. Anyone going from or through Birmingham? We are thinking about going up to Memphis Thursday afternoon and heading on to Talihina Friday.

Kelvin

If you do come up through Memphis there are two of us for sure leaving out of Memphis sometime Friday. Feel free to convoy on up with us.
ClayPerrine
icon_bump.gif
Red86944

driving.gif

I would be afraid.... barf.gif I have followed behind you before....it will be fun seeing you again Don
Red86944

any color that Avery wants..he can have since he wouldnt have one in Alabama stirthepot.gif
Red86944
QUOTE(Rusty @ Apr 4 2009, 11:06 PM) *

Bumping this thread and subscribing. I'd love to do Talimena again this year!

-Rusty

Barney!!
how are you??? I have missed you so much biggrin.gif ....hey dont tell Clay I told you this...but sunday at the AX I bet him in the 924S...... driving-girl.gif
Room secured thru Kitty at the Inn... piratenanner.gif

Looking forwarding to seeing the ones i have meet and making some new teener friends. drunk.gif

Sure looks like ya'll had a blast this last weekend!! driving.gif driving-girl.gif smilie_pokal.gif

PCA here in the mid-south is lame, only 2 AX's this summer with the first one in June.. WTF.gif

KMA.gif grouphug.gif sheeplove.gif poke.gif slap.gif

ar15.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

screwy.gif

Ken smoke.gif
Thoward914
We have our room (#30) reserved. beerchug.gif

Ken,

If you don't count the 3 schools we (PCA Maverick region) put on at the first of the year. We have 6 regular ax's and 6 Time Trials (high speed ax's). Two of the Time Trials this year will be at a real race track (MotorSport Ranch). Some of the cars will hit 90-100 mph at the TT's out in Mineral Wells, a 60 acre asphalt pad that was used to tie down helicopters at a Vietnam era Army training base. driving.gif
914four
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Apr 4 2009, 11:48 PM) *

If you do come up through Memphis there are two of us for sure leaving out of Memphis sometime Friday. Feel free to convoy on up with us.

Got any suggestions for a hotel that would be on the way through town?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.