Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT.. Major 914 haters seem common
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
DBCooper
So what is it exactly that I need to attract flashy women?

Oh, you said TRASHY. Never mind, no problem there....
jcambo7
Some people from my work don't like my car. I tell them I don't care. It's my car. As for the guys that think they are faster when they are in fact slower. They're idiots and someday they will figure that out or will die as an idiot. I know one guy in particular at my work who is in his mid 20's that seems to think his stupid talon could beat a 914 in an autocross race. What a bunch of crap.
GeorgeRud
I think that any modern car can do many things much better than our 35+ year old cars, but that's not the point. You have to learn to kick back and enjoy the ride, that's the real point! A road full of twisties should be a well deserved delight to a 914 owner. Do you think that Jay Leno worries that other cars may be faster than his Stanley Steamer? Hell no, he's enjoying the car, and that's the only thing that should matter.
turnaround89
I think that any modern car can do many things much better than our 35+ year old cars, but that's not the point. You have to learn to kick back and enjoy the ride, that's the real point! A road full of twisties should be a well deserved delight to a 914 owner. Do you think that Jay Leno worries that other cars may be faster than his Stanley Steamer? Hell no, he's enjoying the car, and that's the only thing that should matter.

agree.gif
Elliot Cannon
But, then again. Some people know. I'm getting out of my car the other day at the drugstore. An old guy in a new 4 door Mercedes drives up, rolls down the window waves, gives me a thumbs up and says, "That's really nice ride"! Some people know.
DBCooper
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 25 2009, 11:43 PM) *

Some people know.

And for me that's one of the big bonuses, the people you meet are really knowledgeable. They either know already or want to learn. Can you imagine the quality of people who are telling that Talon owner "nice car"?

Something else, a little wisdom from my father. Be grateful that idiots are so quick to identify themselves, so you don't have to waste much time with them. It's surprising how handy that perspective can be.

Just enjoy your car, that's all that matters.
dflesburg
But it would be easier if they would just wear thier signs.
ellisor3
The next time some Ramen Racer questions your teener ask them the following questions:

In 35 years from now will your Honda Civic have its own Forum??
How many times has your Toyota Tempura raced at Le Mans??
Why is your car louder on the inside than the outside??
Why does your stock speedometer stop at 80??

914's were built not to DRIFT, see you in the corner KMA.gif

buhs914
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Jun 26 2009, 04:56 AM) *

The next time some Ramen Racer questions your teener ask them the following questions:

haha i like that! i'll definitely use that in the future!

I just remembered but back when i was in high school a guy in a green 90's nissan altima asked me to race but never showed up lol. and when i asked him the next day at school he said he wanted to do an oil change before we race (even though he had done one the week before in my auto tech class) lmao. We never did end up racing.. he always came up with excuses.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Jun 26 2009, 06:56 AM) *

I'm sorry, but this is a bit silly.
  • In 35 years, there is an excellent chance that Civics will have their own forums. And good ones will probably be worth a mint. Not to mention, CVCCs DO ALREADY have their own forum, and they are just as old as our cars (yet still in production).
  • There have been several Toyotas at LeMans. next year they are entering a Hybrid.
  • Lots of 914s are just as loud or louder on the outside as on the inside. They are worse then Civics in this matter, given as we tend to pull all the sound deadening out of our cars.
  • Never measure a cars worth by the swing of its speedo. Lots of Muscle cars only had speedos that went to 80 as well, not that it stopped them from going MUCH faster.

Give credit where it is due.
Zach
MBowman325
I can see where that conversation was going.

You may not appreciate what some people do with their cars, but for an owner who honestly spends blood sweat and tears (and money) deserves a little respect. Usually.

Just because a car has a killer sound system in it doesn't mean that it can't be respectable on the street / track.

The stock speedo on my Monte ran out of numbers at 80. On loong stretches of flat high visibility roads I'd get it over to L2. The Speedo I have now pegs out at 85 but I know that it's faster than that.

I like the older Preludes and some Civics. True, it seems that a lot of their owners (a vocal minority I'm quite sure) live vicariously through movies and posturing about drifting and LEDs on the washer nozzels with lit up exhaust pipes that whistle. {shrugs}

Foreign vehicles I think have done a tremendous amount of work to increase their performance. Just because someone hasn't done something doesn't mean they won't / can't. Just because someone has done something doesn't mean they're gonna keep it up. Examples of that all over the place.

Show me a Civic with a perl paint job, dragon vinyl graphics, LEDs at all conceivable points and I'll say 'meh'. Meet a guy who seems competent, talk about cars and he tells me he has an 11-12 second civic that he can produce reasonable AX numbers with, then leads me out to above car and I'll be more impressed with knowledge that it's possible that it's a well balanced vehicle.
computers4kids
Last week I went to the Pismo Beach 24th annual car show, well..me and 85, 000 others over the three days. There were 615 cars entered and many, many more like me just there with our cars enjoying. It wasn't uncommon for the owners to have dropped 100k restoring them.

Of all the cars parked or roaming, there were piles of camaros, vettes, roadsters etc but there was ONLY 1 Porsche 914...that would be me. piratenanner.gif These cars were beautiful, don't get me wrong, but how many GTO's can you see before you start to walk right past them...no matter how awesome they are.

My little 914, nice, but no way a show car attracted more attention than I would have ever believed. There is something to be said about driving a classic that is unique! beerchug.gif
ghuff
People are simply jealous of the 914.

They are too scared to own one, and do what it takes to make it reliable, fast, and handle well.

I can tell you from experience, since I am still technically a 20 something. Most of my generation thinks Porsche is badge prestige instead of engineering and racing prowess.

I get more respect for my 300whp daily driven 2001 GTi with power steering and AC. That car clicks of mid 12's all day with zero traction in 1st-2nd gear.

People here 914 and their eyes glaze over.

If everyone had 914's would we like/want them?

That's a big no here, I like being different. When I told a bunch of folks they were like Ewww and that made me want it more.
dlo914
I agree on being different. Of the 5 cars ive owned and driven over the past 7 years i consider these three to be different and less common than others.

1974 Porsche 914
1989 Toyota Corolla GTS Coupe (Front wheel drive)
2002 Lexus IS300 manual 5spd
blitZ
It seems every other person I run into, had or knew someone with a 914 and has a story or two. You can't be concerned about someone not liking your car, who cares. It's like the age old Ford vs Chevy debates. I like seeing any old car someone has kept running, even if it's a Pinto.
dw914er
QUOTE(blitZ @ Jun 26 2009, 01:15 PM) *

It seems every other person I run into, had or knew someone with a 914 and has a story or two. You can't be concerned about someone not liking your car, who cares. It's like the age old Ford vs Chevy debates. I like seeing any old car someone has kept running, even if it's a Pinto.

I always get the story my brothers former roommate's cousin's..... had one... cool car smile.gif

dw914er
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jun 26 2009, 09:50 AM) *

Last week I went to the Pismo Beach 24th annual car show, well..me and 85, 000 others over the three days. There were 615 cars entered and many, many more like me just there with our cars enjoying. It wasn't uncommon for the owners to have dropped 100k restoring them.

Of all the cars parked or roaming, there were piles of camaros, vettes, roadsters etc but there was ONLY 1 Porsche 914...that would be me. piratenanner.gif These cars were beautiful, don't get me wrong, but how many GTO's can you see before you start to walk right past them...no matter how awesome they are.

My little 914, nice, but no way a show car attracted more attention than I would have ever believed. There is something to be said about driving a classic that is unique! beerchug.gif

It's also because your car is really clean, and sounds really good. aktion035.gif lol
sharper
I haven't received a negative comment about my 914 yet but have had many admirers. But just last week some ricer that was black with a pink racing stripe and pink wheels was messing with on the road. Went a few miles of him getting next to or in front of me while reviving his engine (with the fart can exhaust of course). Finally was next to him at a light; I was still in first gear when I left him behind. Needless to say he backed off and let 3 or 4 cars get between us at that point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.