Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT.. Major 914 haters seem common
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
buhs914
Am i the only one who noticed this phenomena? I always see people on forums bashing the 914 with insults like: "it's a slow crappy car" or "it's hideous" or even "my Honda Civic is faster than a 914". Comments like those make me want to bash some skulls chair.gif or at least show up the Civic dude in a race haha. i think that it's just plain ignorance on their part, but it still aggravates me..
dlo914
Why are you letting teenagers and their Japanese econo-boxes get to you? They're a dime a dozen and depreciating by the day, while our cars are increasing in value and are collectibles. At least we don't have to worry about Smog checks (except the 76 guys).
zymurgist
Bullies.

Some people are unable to derive a sense of self-worth from within themselves. They seek that sense of self-worth by coming together with like-minded individuals. Whenever they knock somebody else down a notch, they pat each other on the back and tell themselves that they are somehow superior.

Oh, and welcome.png
So.Cal.914
The 914 is not everyone's cup of tea.

But any car with a 1.7 litre that can put that look of discust on a Vett owners face at the bottom of a canyon, is worth putting up with. smile.gif

welcome.png
VaccaRabite
If it bothers you, get off the ricer forums.

The forums where I have shown off my build have been very appreciative. I get the "Nice VW" thing a lot, but it is mostly tongue in cheek. Seems that people that know cars have a lot of respect for the 914 - or the forums I frequent tend toward ricer intolerance.

Zach
dflesburg
When you get older (like me), loose some hair, forget what its like to have a woman look at you with a twinkle in her eye, forget about all those dreams of being rich, good looking and popular... have lost some good friends to disease or just logistics, lost jobs you really liked due to no fault of your own. Once you have suffered enough of lifes hard knocks and disappointments....

You hopefully will come to a place where you can raise your middle finger at them all and enjoy your car if you want to.

Can any of you relate to the little girl in the bumble bee suit in that Blind Melon video?

I do.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7763324546201298850

Isn't that why you came here in the first place?

(and maybe someday we will find women with nice legs that want to hold our hands simply because they like us, but probably not so in the mean time we drive our ugly wierd little cars and hope the spare parts and gas last until after we die.)
Ian Stott
My young son belongs to that Honda Civic crowd and when a bunch of them are around thet walk right past each others cars to come and see the 914. Comments like "Dude your Dad has got a nice ride!" are not uncommon. People who make negative comments are very rare and it always seems to be a blatant case of jealousy. I love my car, and for those who appreciate it we always have a good chat, those that wish to put it down, which is extremely rare I don't spend any time with them nor do I let them rent space in my head.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
jsayre914
biggrin.gif at least they got the make and model right.

Our cars will drive faster than theirs, and the cops will still pull the riced up batmobile over, every time.

driving.gif
ericread
I tend to get a lot of really positive comments about my teener. In fact, maybe I'm not paying very good attention, but I don't remember a time where someone has talked down to me about my car.

And finally no; I really don't relate to the little girl in the bumble bee suit in that Blind Melon video... lol-2.gif

Eric Read
Cupomeat
Just remember that Hate and Love are not opposite, generally, they are very close.

And I don't believe that you can ever forget what it is like for a woman to look at you with a twinkle in her eye.

As for bumblebee girl metaphor, it is a common and good one, and in many ways, this forum is the gated field for a bunch of misfits.

to close, besides my Mailman and an old teacher in school, everyone loves my teener.
ConeDodger
Not a problem I have noticed... But if it keeps up, race them... and include a corner biggrin.gif That should get you the respect you want. driving-girl.gif
PRS914-6
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jun 23 2009, 06:29 AM) *

When you get older (like me), loose some hair, forget what its like to have a woman look at you with a twinkle in her eye, forget about all those dreams of being rich, good looking and popular... have lost some good friends to disease or just logistics, lost jobs you really liked due to no fault of your own. Once you have suffered enough of lifes hard knocks and disappointments....

You hopefully will come to a place where you can raise your middle finger at them all and enjoy your car if you want to.

Can any of you relate to the little girl in the bumble bee suit in that Blind Melon video?

I do.

(and maybe someday we will find women with nice legs that want to hold our hands simply because they like us, but probably not so in the mean time we drive our ugly wierd little cars and hope the spare parts and gas last until after we die.)

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

While age has it's drawbacks it certainly brings more patience to that kind of BS. On the other hand I have to admit that after several attempts of the ricers trying to street race me, I thoroughly enjoy blowing their doors off in short order. That's the fun of a 914, they are all convinced you have a VW. What's worse than having a VW blow your doors off?. And the good news.....I rarely take my 914 out without receiving a positive comment. How many ricers can say that?
Richard Casto
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jun 23 2009, 09:29 AM) *

I do.

Excellent post. agree.gif
Zundfolge
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 23 2009, 06:13 AM) *

I get the "Nice VW" thing a lot, but it is mostly tongue in cheek.

Could be worse, could be "Nice Fiat".
Project 6
She grew up.

IPB Image
jsayre914
QUOTE(Project 6 @ Jun 23 2009, 11:52 AM) *

She grew up.

but, can you make her dance ??
EdwardBlume
I'm more afraid of the potential for a cell phone toting soccer mom in the giant SUV hitting me and the cheap insurance company that will "handle" it.

zymurgist
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 23 2009, 12:43 PM) *

I'm more afraid of the potential for a cell phone toting soccer mom in the giant SUV hitting me and the cheap insurance company that will "handle" it.

You don't have an agreed value policy on the Porsche?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jun 23 2009, 11:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Project 6 @ Jun 23 2009, 11:52 AM) *

She grew up.

but, can you make her dance ??

Please?
turboman808
Can't expect everyone to like your car. I can't say anything because I rip on peoples cars just as bad.

Friend traded in his lotus exige for a nissan GTR. I don't care how fast it is he bought a overpriced commuter car in my book.
dw914er
I'm sorta in both crowds, ad my buddies think my car is clean, and those have ridden in it think it handles amazingly. I raced my buddy in hs, i know, i was younger and stupid, down a canyon in his modified rsx-s, vs my 1.7. Uphill power was my disadvantage, but once we went downhill, he couldnt keep up, i dusted him badly.

... he was very impressed...he's also a cocky sob, but losing to a car with >1/2 half you power made even more impressed.

but dont even fret, one day they'll they will actually learn, and be impressed by the 914. It just up to us to keep kicking ass at auto-x's, race tracks, and make our cars gorgeous (clean) wub.gif and that will remind people that 914's are seriously awesome.
dflesburg
Zach, sometime over the next 10 years you will get tired of begging and being denied and just give up.

Anyone ever watch the Red Green Show?

I am almost there.
zymurgist
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jun 23 2009, 02:24 PM) *

Zach, sometime over the next 10 years you will get tired of begging and being denied and just give up.

Anyone ever watch the Red Green Show?

I am almost there.

What? Are you duct taping two Hyundais together?
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jun 23 2009, 09:53 AM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 23 2009, 12:43 PM) *

You don't have an agreed value policy on the Porsche?

Got to finish it first....
ghuff
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jun 23 2009, 05:29 AM) *

I do.

Post of the year, I totally agree. Especially with the little girl in the bumblebee suit in the blind melon video.

Never looked at it that way.

I love my goofy little 914, my sciroccos, my boxy 80's vw's.

Fuck what anyone else thinks, reality is they are jealous haters. The honda kids are pissed because secrety their women think you are hot for driving a restored or good looking obscure car that is not on every corner.

I drive and fix it because it makes me happy.
DBCooper
You think you get no respect? At least there's no confusion. Mine has a WRX motor, so I get both no respect and a lot of respect from both sides. Doesn't much matter to me, either way. I just wanna have fun.

Actually it would probably be fun to race a Honda, but once they hear that blow off valve they seem to go all flacid. confused24.gif
MBowman325
This sentiment echos on a number of forums I've seen. The RoadMaster guys complain because they don't seem to have the love that the Caprice and Impala cars get, the late 80s Monte Carlo CLs and LSs aren't up to the SS look and us poor 3rd Gen Monte guys appear screwed every which way because nobody likes our cars and not only is there no aftermarket specifically for those three years, but finding what you need in a yard is near impossible. Then there's the ugly little bug that couldn't as I've had people call it.

Frankly, it doesn't matter to me what people think. If they hate any car of mine, so what? I didn't buy them to make others happy. If they love them, that's awesome! I think a lot of the rice stuff is an exhibition of poor taste, but they can do whatever they want. I also think that there are waaaay to many Camaros on the road and they oughta scrap all the V6 ones and use most of the V8 ones for parts cars.

Bottom line - enjoy your car. Not everyone will like it and you should embrace that because really, do we want everyone to like our cars?
degreeoff
Yep I dont get the UGggg what a piece anymore....just put a high HP engine in her and stiffen your suspension, all will be well....:-) and IMHO use a porsche 911 engine!! Not that I am hatin any of you 'other' converts...lol hell 1/2 of you would blow my doors off (well all of you would now that I am in the middle of a heart surgery)

Josh
computers4kids
QUOTE(buhs914 @ Jun 23 2009, 02:04 AM) *

Am i the only one who noticed this phenomena? I always see people on forums bashing the 914 with insults like: "it's a slow crappy car"

I've already handed some of "those types" their lunch and sent them packing with their tail between their legs biggrin.gif ...Oh, and they'll think twice next time before trying to show off for thier "little woman" in the next seat. av-943.gif

Nothing worse than getting smoked by a "914 VW Porsche."
turnaround89
I don't care how fast it is he bought a overpriced commuter car in my book.

agree.gif

Comparing a honda to a Porsche is comparing apples to oranges...to be honest i hope to God that a car that is 37 years NEWER than mine can beat me, bc if it can't then apparently there haven't been any advancements in the automobile industry for 37 years. Go ahead and beat me in a straight line, because thats all a civic will do to a 914...we get the looks(at least it happens to me where i live bc theres only 3 914's where i live), i like that even more than going fast. Having someone say your car is sweet, sick, awesome, looks beautiful, constantly asks questions about it is great and really makes the effort you put into the car worth it...you don't see too many people roll down there windows to ask what motor is in the civic next to them at a stoplight, or what year it is. Happens a lot in a vintage Porsche!!!

I love my car, and won't trade it for anything at this point...i have too much time and effort into it to sell it to get something newer, i don't want a new car bc you can't work on them as easily, or modify them without having a check engine light come on all the time!

Also, how many of those people that bash the 914 have actually driven one or rode in one? The people that haven't rode in one just know what the problems with the car are by reading about it on wikipedia, the shifting sucks, their greatly underpowered

1. to all the people that say the shifting sucks - i say, sorry it takes skill to drive my car, you hate it because you hit fourth instead of second, take some time to LEARN to drive the car, and you'll see that the shifting isn't bad, once you know how to DRIVE the car
2. Underpowerd - not through a corner it isn't...so what i don't run a 10 second quarter mile, what sports car was designed for straight line speed, next to none.

BKLA
I had a discussion a few days ago with a Dr. at public gathering. He said he had a porsche (he pronounced it "porch") and I asked what model. He said it was a 911, the only real porsche. I asked him what year - He said 2006.

He asked if I had a porsche and I told him that I have had a number of them over the years, but that my favorite was the 914.

"That isn't a real porsche" he stated

"Why isn't real" I asked

"Only the 911's are really porch's" he stated flatly

"What about the 356, 550, 904, 917, P108, 944, 928, 930, 964, 993, and 996 models?" I asked trying to remember all of the other model designations.

"Those aren't real porch's. They are not 911's"

"did you know that your 911 is actually a 996 model?" I asked

"No, Its a 911."

------

'nuff said
dlo914
QUOTE(BKLA @ Jun 23 2009, 01:00 PM) *

I had a discussion a few days ago with a Dr. at public gathering. He said he had a porsche (he pronounced it "porch") and I asked what model. He said it was a 911, the only real porsche. I asked him what year - He said 2006.

He asked if I had a porsche and I told him that I have had a number of them over the years, but that my favorite was the 914.

"Why isn't real" I asked

"What about the 356, 550, 904, 917, P108, 944, 928, 930, 964, 993, and 996 models?" I asked trying to remember all of the other model designations.

"No, Its a 911."

------

'nuff said

pinch.gif head_hurts_kr.gif pinch.gif
dw914er

"Why isn't real" I asked

"No, Its a 911."

------

'nuff said

didnt you know, doctor knows best dry.gif
Along similar lines i was surfing the web and ran across some honda nsx forum, the guy was hating on the cayman and carrying on saying that honda achieved better performance and handling 15years before that and that the cayman was getting undue hype. stupid kids i swear. porsche had cars in the 70s that would tear the nsx apart. anyways i dont let it get to me. remember our cars depending on the year are approaching 40 years old. and to have these japanese car enthusiasts intimidated by us is funny. really what pos honda is still around from the 60s and 70s. i just dont see them. besides and i rather have a slower but way better cornering and handling car than a straight line fast car. besides ive got a bug with a type 4 1.9 fuel injected that tears them up light to light.
it doesnt look like much but it sure is fun.
as a matter of fact it looks like puke
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Jun 23 2009, 01:49 PM) *

"Why isn't real" I asked

"No, Its a 911."

------

'nuff said

pinch.gif head_hurts_kr.gif pinch.gif

DUMBASS. that is all
buhs914
haha you guys are great! I really do hate ricers and here in Buckeye, AZ there's alot of them and so the kids think that's what's cool. I grew up in a family that prefers old over new, especially my dad who absolutely loves VWs. So i've always loved the older cars. And the 914 caught my eye since it doesn't look like any other Porsche from any previous or succeeding era. It's unique, it's Porsche, and it's under appreciated.. what else is there not to love? lol

I honestly didn't expect this much feedback haha
Katmanken
didya ever notice that there are no 1970 vintage ricemobiles left?????

Nope, all gone.....

Can you say durability of a paper plate?????
fasthonda
I coudn't resist to respond to this thread. My favorite car of all time is the 914, but I also happen to have a Honda Civic race car so I am on both sides.

The Honda engines are great and true to the Porsche breed in my opinion. The limiting factor on the 914 is the type 4 engine. Converting to a six or building a high performance type 4 is not cheap, and thats the reason I started racing a Honda.

I have finally decided to build my dream car though. It will be a Honda powered 914. The best of both worlds. I plan to install a Honda S2000 engine into my 914 to give it the performace of an orginal GT for a fraction of the $. With 250 hp @ 9000 rpm from a 2.0L motor, it will true to the original GT and I hope to build it for under $10k.

You see very few 914's at track events other than Vintage races. I will not race this car in competetion, but rather just do HPDE's to showcase the 914 to the newer generation.

Will be posting my build to share with the club soon.

Michael
turnaround89
The limiting factor on the 914 is the type 4 engine.

Paging Mr. Jake Raby

Fasthonda, love the idea of the s2000 motor, but under 10K, may need to adjust that number a little more, the conversion for the motor alone may cost 10K, then its bigger brakes, tires, sway bars, better trans, and then all the little fabrication that takes place, you should know from the racing background that things add up real quick..not trying to discourage the conversion, but the budget may need to be expanded some more.

I plan to install a Honda S2000 engine into my 914 to give it the performace of an orginal GT

I think you would whoop the SH#@ out of an original GT with an s2000 motor

orange914
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jun 23 2009, 05:40 AM) *

biggrin.gif at least they got the make and model right.

Our cars will drive faster than theirs, and the cops will still pull the riced up batmobile over, every time.

driving.gif

hondas ricer hondas owners generally are the the ones on the side of the road getting a fart can exhaust violation ticket. just smile as you drive by in your 914 driving.gif driving-girl.gif
r_towle
I really dont see any possible way to compare a classic car with a honda/toyota/nissan.
Its really two different worlds.

To take a 5k-30k car and throw all those mods at it....then you end up with a car that will never go up in value (rare exceptions Im sure...) that is just a stupid car to compare a 914 with.

Compare a honda/toyota/nissan to the dodge/ford/gm mini cars...or even a bmw mini....but not a classic car.

We compare our cars with MGB's, TR6's, Fiat's. etc all from that era.
We compare our cars with 911's...

The Honda/toyota/nissan guys have their clubs, but your vintage club will come get you at night in the rain when you break down...their club will laugh at them, text message them, and keep playing video games while the guy on the side of the road is left to fend for himself.

Rich
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 24 2009, 06:21 PM) *

I really dont see any possible way to compare a classic car with a honda/toyota/nissan.

Yeah, they're cheaper to fix and attract young trashy women. Who needs them? lol-2.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 24 2009, 09:53 PM) *

Yeah, they're cheaper to fix and attract young trashy women. Who needs them? lol-2.gif

If you need a car to attract trashy women, maybe you NEED to buy a honda.

R
dw914er
btw... my rides

IPB Image
IPB Image

it truly is apples and oranges. A clean car is a clean car, a fast car is fast. Who gives a shit its bastardly background like the 914... take miatas for instance.. to me, they are kinda fruity cars. But theres a guy at my school with a modded miata that is fast as hell, and I like it. Its just, you have to respect peoples cars. The 914, though in its awkward family history, is a great car. Thats why old snotty porsche concours weiners are driving them now wink.gif, and we still kick ass at the track and auto x. That, and the love we put into the cars, is all that matters
MBowman325

The Honda/toyota/nissan guys have their clubs, but your vintage club will come get you at night in the rain when you break down...their club will laugh at them, text message them, and keep playing video games while the guy on the side of the road is left to fend for himself.

Bingo! Part of it is the understood reality that older cars will eventually break, sometimes at inopportune times. Combined with the limited number on the road and the love / fanaticism / respect / ability of those in the collective 914 world to see that as many remain drivable and that most everyone driving one is a genuinely good person, you wind up with owners willing to travel distance to come help or assist remotely in diagnosing your problem from multiple states away.

beer3.gif A toast to fellow 914 owners!

tod914
Just be thankfull your not in the Yugoworld club.
carr914
One day I'm over working on my neighbor's Factory 914-6. I drove my 98 Civic over there. There is a 71 911T, an M-3, the 914-6, a Mercedes 4-Matic and a Harley in the yard. 3 Kids walk by, nod to my Civic and say Nice Car! biggrin.gif

T.C.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 24 2009, 06:57 PM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 24 2009, 09:53 PM) *

If you need a car to attract trashy women, maybe you NEED to buy a honda.

R

Hey, hey, I'm just kidding.... although idea.gif my wife does take out the trash sometimes, and my DD is an Acura RL. Maybe there is something to my theory.. no its bs.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 24 2009, 11:09 PM) *

One day I'm over working on my neighbor's Factory 914-6. I drove my 98 Civic over there. There is a 71 911T, an M-3, the 914-6, a Mercedes 4-Matic and a Harley in the yard. 3 Kids walk by, nod to my Civic and say Nice Car! biggrin.gif

T.C.

When my mom finally decides to get a taller car than her '96 Civic coupe, she has been instructed not to trade it. driving.gif

But my garage space will still be reserved for Corvettes and Porsches only!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.