Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shock Options full race
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(ME733 @ Dec 14 2009, 10:17 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif ...Chris ...I have a set of CARRERA shocks very similar to the ohlins.

similar in that they have a threaded body and are nitrogen charged...

...my question is , how will you adapt the top mounting heim-joint to the O.E.M. top shock mount...

You can but adaptors for about $200 from The Racers Group, Rebel Racing, and probably others. I don't have oem shock towers so I will be making something myself.

...and where do you "recharge "the cannister, I don't see a fitting...

There is a fill valve on the end of the canister that you can't see in the pic.
...a suggestion as to springs/ rate would be appreciated..( stock street 914 about 2100 lbs.1973..2.o)....murray... popcorn[1].gif

140-150 lb
Randal
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 12 2009, 01:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Oct 20 2009, 05:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 19 2009, 08:16 PM) *

I'm going to install Ohlins LMJ 7" stroke shocks at the rear of my 914.

And just how are you planning on doing this idea.gif . Love to see that Chris. aktion035.gif

Here's one of my new rear shocks,
Click to view attachment
and a lower mounting bolt. Its a stock unit, modified to fit the 1/2" monoball in the Ohlins shock.
Click to view attachment

Those look great Chris, but what shocks will need to be run on the front? I'm currently running Koni yellows, but haven't changed anything else other than the sway bar (smart racing). Have the Koni's revalved or what do you think?
Joe Ricard
Randal, you have shocks up front? Us poor guys have struts.

Advance design with spiffy everythings would be cool.
ME733
popcorn[1].gif
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 14 2009, 01:13 PM) *

QUOTE(ME733 @ Dec 14 2009, 10:17 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif ...Chris ...I have a set of CARRERA shocks very similar to the ohlins.

similar in that they have a threaded body and are nitrogen charged...

...my question is , how will you adapt the top mounting heim-joint to the O.E.M. top shock mount...

You can but adaptors for about $200 from The Racers Group, Rebel Racing, and probably others. I don't have oem shock towers so I will be making something myself.

...and where do you "recharge "the cannister, I don't see a fitting...

There is a fill valve on the end of the canister that you can't see in the pic.
...a suggestion as to springs/ rate would be appreciated..( stock street 914 about 2100 lbs.1973..2.o)....murray... popcorn[1].gif

140-150 lb

popcorn[1].gif ...well chris Mine look virturally identical.. threaded body /adj. spring perch, top knob adjustment, all aluminum, 5.5' stroke, chromed springs (rating ? )as I have not checked them yet...but as they are "carrera", who has been bought out, naturally look slightly dated in some of the details. I'm resonably certain the srader valve could be replaced with a fitting to allow a remote and adjustable pressure cannistor. thanks for the spring rate information. ..murray... popcorn[1].gif
Randal
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Dec 14 2009, 01:03 PM) *

Randal, you have shocks up front? Us poor guys have struts.

Advance design with spiffy everythings would be cool.

Hey they are yellow and look like the back ones!

Guess I have struts as well.
SirAndy
We're running the Fox shocks from Smart Racing on the Spec 911 ...

http://www.smartracingproducts.com/catalog/rearaxle.htm

I wonder how hard it would be to make these work on a 914?
idea.gif Andy
SirAndy
Wait, it says right there "now available for your 1969-89 911 and 914" ... idea.gif

I have to ask Rich about that ...
driving.gif Andy
Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 14 2009, 04:04 PM) *

Wait, it says right there "now available for your 1969-89 911 and 914" ... idea.gif

I have to ask Rich about that ...
driving.gif Andy

I talked to Rich a couple of weeks ago. He said it would be like $2,500 for both the front and back. And yes I told he what my front configuration would be.

He swears by them.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 14 2009, 04:09 PM) *

He swears by them.

He sells them too ... biggrin.gif

They work great on the 911, but that car is at 2400lbs minimum weight.

If i understand the concept correctly, the canister pressure is there mainly to keep the oil from foaming with air-bubbles (thus adding lag to the dampening) and not so much to add/remove spring rate.
shades.gif Andy
J P Stein
Hayden says the Fox are way too stiff for a 914 AXer.
SirAndy
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 14 2009, 05:09 PM) *

Kinda what i was thinking. A light AX 914 could be 800lbs lighter than the Spec 911 ...
santa_smiley.gif Andy
ChrisFoley
Thats just one of the reasons I'm going with the Ohlins. They have a lot of custom valve arrangements available and have 24 position adjusters that provide a wide range with any given valve set. Tomorrow I'll try to find time to scan my shock dyno sheet.
ONe advantage of Fox vs. Ohlins is on the fronts. Fox has a front strut that fits 914s. Ohlins requires a "Kit" shock with custom made spindles, which ends up pretty expensive.
I'm going to stick with my Bilstein front inserts. Generally speaking 914s have more trouble with grip at the rear end so I figure the fronts can be left as is and I'll use the adjustable rears to tune around them.
J P Stein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 14 2009, 05:15 PM) *

Kinda what i was thinking. A light AX 914 could be 800lbs lighter than the Spec 911 ...
santa_smiley.gif Andy

I test drove a 914 vintage race car on our AX venue last summer. A friend was thinkin' about buying it. It was totally unsuitable for AX at any venue I've driven with the possible exception of Marina. It literally bounced across the bumps. The fella does fine on the big track at PIR.....that track is smooth as a baby's ass.

My buddy got scared off by it.... tho I assured him it could be set up to run with practically no out-of pocket- expenses....there was a ton of valuable extras. It had a lot more motor than mine but the power band was wrong for AX.....that is a relatively easy fix.
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 14 2009, 07:17 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 14 2009, 05:15 PM) *

santa_smiley.gif Andy

I test drove a 914 vintage race car on our AX venue last summer. A friend was thinkin' about buying it. It was totally unsuitable for AX at any venue I've driven with the possible exception of Marina. It literally bounced across the bumps. The fella does fine on the big track at PIR.....that track is smooth as a baby's ass.

My buddy got scared off by it.... tho I assured him it could be set up to run with practically no out-of pocket- expenses....there was a ton of valuable extras. It had a lot more motor than mine but the power band was wrong for AX.....that is a relatively easy fix.

OK gentlemen, what front shocks will work best with Chris's back ones and what needs to be done with them to make them work in a light front end car?
Joe Ricard
Get the fox shocks and have them re-valved for the spring/torsion bar you are going to run on the car.

Basically you change and orifice for high speed and a few shims for low speed.

certainly FOX shocks are rebuildable and re-valveable. But you got to know what kind of curve you want so you can tell the guy with the shock magic shims and dyno what to make.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 14 2009, 11:28 PM) *

OK gentlemen, what front shocks will work best with Chris's back ones and what needs to be done with them to make them work in a light front end car?

I'd go with Bilstein HDs right out of the box.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.