Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gated shifer?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
HAM Inc
No doubt you shift a bunch at the track, but as with all things it's a matter of degree when you compare an autox run to a track session or race. By degree I mean missed one shift at an autox and your finished. On the track this can also be the case, but typically it isn't.

Yeah that makes sence. I imagine that in a short solo run (AX) you have to be flawless to get TTOD. I got lucky when I flubbed my shift as I wasn't being pressured in the braking zone. If I had, I would have likely lost the position. Sometimes one mistake is all it takes in any form of motorsports.
J P Stein
I'm not sure, but I think the 915 is around 25-30 lbs heavier. The 901 is 75-80lbs, surely someone will know the 915 weight. Gary wrote a large check to have that puppy put in his car.
grantsfo
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Sep 9 2009, 10:26 AM) *

No doubt you shift a bunch at the track, but as with all things it's a matter of degree when you compare an autox run to a track session or race. By degree I mean missed one shift at an autox and your finished. On the track this can also be the case, but typically it isn't.

Yeah that makes sence. I imagine that in a short solo run (AX) you have to be flawless to get TTOD. I got lucky when I flubbed my shift as I wasn't being pressured in the braking zone. If I had, I would have likely lost the position. Sometimes one mistake is all it takes in any form of motorsports.

Ahh Yeah that shift off the line from 1st to 2nd is tough. A good AX car doesnt get shifted out of 2nd at all in 95% of events. JP's car "shifting" at an AX. yellowsleep[1].gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_nANXY8KBs...rofilepage#t=45

I can just say JWest linkage did wonders for my car and the stock kinkage that I replaced was relatively new. Brad and I installed it in about an hour. It helps to have two people for linkage install. Its not gated but shifts are much more positive. And I did hundreds of shifts flawlessly each weekend I went to the track with the JWest setup.

Honestly shifting 901 with Jwest was nicer than my cable shifted Boxster.
J P Stein
Ahh Yeah that shift off the line from 1st to 2nd is tough. A good AX car doesnt get shifted out of 2nd at all in 95% of events. JP's car "shifting" at an AX. yellowsleep[1].gif

Ayup, only one up & one down.....2nd & 3rd.....just like we planned. You'da been at least 2-3 seconds back with your fat ass & fat car....partially because you would have shifted 4-5 times......chump.
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 9 2009, 05:10 PM) *

QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Sep 9 2009, 10:26 AM) *

I can just say JWest linkage did wonders for my car and the stock kinkage that I replaced was relatively new. Brad and I installed it in about an hour. It helps to have two people for linkage install. Its not gated but shifts are much more positive. And I did hundreds of shifts flawlessly each weekend I went to the track with the JWest setup.

Honestly shifting 901 with Jwest was nicer than my cable shifted Boxster.

I think you are totally missing the point Grant.

I wasn't talking about a 6 cylinder, where you rarely see 3rd, I was talking about my 4 cylinder where 3rd is used frequently. If you miss the 2nd to 3rd shift, because your right in the middle of a corner and on the rev limiter and have to shift, your done for that run.

The point being that the RennShifter, at least the generation I have, doesn't correct this issue. Maybe with the "new" back end stuff it would.
J P Stein
Grant misses the point regular like. The humorous part is he doesn't realise it and feels it necessary to run his mouth.
Joe Ricard
Since I am suppose to maderate this place. Both of you sut up.

There done my job gud huh?
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 9 2009, 06:15 PM) *

I think you are totally missing the point Grant.

I wasn't talking about a 6 cylinder, where you rarely see 3rd, I was talking about my 4 cylinder where 3rd is used frequently. If you miss the 2nd to 3rd shift, because your right in the middle of a corner and on the rev limiter and have to shift, your done for that run.

The point being that the RennShifter, at least the generation I have, doesn't correct this issue. Maybe with the "new" back end stuff it would.

...Guess you didnt get the "subtle" hint about properly setup AX car not using 3rd. shades.gif

Gated shifter isnt going to solve key issue in my "uneducated" opinion. Properly setup 4 cylinder with 7500 RPM redline should be able to be geared not to use 3rd in over 90% of aX in our area. Dedicated AX car should be setup this way. My six was dual use and I still had decent AX gearing with 7200 RPM redline. I just had a huge torque hole below 4000 RPM that you wont have with a T4. What slowed you down in AX events was not mishifts as much as the act of shifting so much. When you shift you are coasting and you have added distraction of hand being off the wheel at times when all concentration should be on entry or exit of a corner.

JP got it right with his car. Nice broad torque band, decent redline and gearing that allowed high 65 MPH plus passes. We were all signficantly outclassed by his car at 2008 Shootout.

Your car truly has potential to be a great AX car if you can get topend issues worked out with motor and get better 2nd gear in that thing.

My Boxster is geared just like a 914-4 with its short tires and limited redline so now I'm a shifting fool. I'm not looking for gated shifter I'm now looking for ECU that will lift my redline to 7500 RPM. I'm losing tons of time due to shifts compared to my old 914-6. Larry S was lauging watching my car at Alameda and said I was shifting more than a 914. LOL! While all that shifting feels cool it is slower.

Gated shifter is still cool idea but given defined purpose of your car would hate to see it continue to be hampered by too short 2nd and not high enough redline.

...and you will want the backend linkage stuff for Hoopa. Corner loads on those 10% grade uphill turns do strange stuff to stock linkage.
BKLA
In building my track car (that I AX once in a while) I used both the rennshifter and the JWest linkage setups. I used porsche sport mounts up front and the solid urethane rear trans mounts.

setting the rennshift springs to center on the two/three horiz. axis, I have learned to let the springs push the shifter for the one/two upshift and the four/three downshift. Yes, I am still methodical (read: slow) in my shifts as the 901 was not designed for speed shifting, but I found that the shifts are clean and without drama. I only missed a shift once on a track day when I pulled from four to three and got one. I pulled rather than letting the spring push...

I like the setup. Crisper, cleaner shifts compared to a stock system with new bushings. I like the 2.7 with the 901. Feels like the mid '70's!!! smile.gif

However, If I was going to a 3.2 or bigger, I would go 915 with the WEVO. Lots mo' money, but worth it.
Joe Ricard
Proper AX car 2nd gear only IS NOT a proper AX car.
I can bang 7500 rev limit on most courses around here. 3rd gear (flipped ZD) and I roll 6000 RPM plus on most of the straight bits.

JWest
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 6 2009, 10:23 AM) *

Too many reports of his 1st gen shifter coming apart......he may have made that right, I never heard. I don't like outfits that have customers do the R&D on a product.....There are a few fellas that do the customer R&D trick. I got no truck with it. Even if it is made right, it wastes time & effort.

Made about 100 1st gens over 5 years ago. About 10 of them (after 50 were in use) had a bad weld because I farmed out some work.

I'm not sure how that translates to having the customer do R&D.
J P Stein
QUOTE(JWest @ Sep 22 2009, 09:32 PM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 6 2009, 10:23 AM) *

Too many reports of his 1st gen shifter coming apart......he may have made that right, I never heard. I don't like outfits that have customers do the R&D on a product.....There are a few fellas that do the customer R&D trick. I got no truck with it. Even if it is made right, it wastes time & effort.

Made about 100 1st gens over 5 years ago. About 10 of them (after 50 were in use) had a bad weld because I farmed out some work.

I'm not sure how that translates to having the customer do R&D.

I work in QA. A 20% failure rate of a bit after getting out in the world would get me fired, but my company would still be in deep shit.
Does it "translate" now?
Downunderman
I have found that a side shifter with a good universal at the firewall and some decent bushes and a couple of extra Weltmeister lock out springs is about as good as you can get. You can then do 4th to 3rd with confidence, and 5th to 2nd and 4th to 2nd. Although i try and avoid the latter two, sometines it happens in the heat of battle.

JP, what 2nd are you using? It doesn't seem to launch very well.
JWest
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 23 2009, 03:36 PM) *

I work in QA. A 20% failure rate of a bit after getting out in the world would get me fired, but my company would still be in deep shit.
Does it "translate" now?

It must not be fun to live with such an angry attitude.

You really seem to have a big personal problem with me for having never met me or purchased anything from me. Unfortunately people will believe your made-up stories of products you have never used (stated in your past posts) being unnecessary - so I am forced to tell my side. I would prefer to let my real customers speak for the product (which they do), but you have to stirthepot.gif on something that you have no experience with. Not sure why that is.

QA and R&D are not the same thing - I'm tying to chase your insults as you shift them. The design was robust and had no issues - a mistake was made in production and a single batch got out the door and was dealt with. Yes, the QA was lacking - I (well, actually the customer) cannot afford to do NDT on this level of parts and neither can anyone except in your business. The car will not fall out of the sky and kill a large number of people if a part fails.

You can't compare the aircraft industry to any that produces something that an individual consumer can afford. Car companies have high failure items delivered to the customer all the time and the companies issue a recall and fix it (if enough people can prove it well enough).

This is all moot, as I changed the design 5 years ago, removed the chance of any similar issue with a different design and production processes, and have had no issues in over 500 shifters sold.

HAM Inc
I calculated that this year in my 4 weekends of double events in our F-Prod car (901 side shifter) I shifted 1,737 times. I only flubbed two shifts. One when my foot slipped off the side of the clutch pedal, and one when a HHR SS blew by me going into turn 6 at Rd Atl. (damndest thing! The guy was fast but eventually blew the thing up in a fiery explosion right in front of me. Click the link if you want to see my in-car of it) I thought the HHR was going to flip and I completely lost my rythm and forgot to shift entering turn 6. Not really flubbed shift but it counts as shifting related mess-up.

That's a lot of fast shifts with my JWest goodies and no issues. The man sells quality stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JVLy2fsq0M

J P Stein
QUOTE(JWest @ Sep 23 2009, 03:21 PM) *

It must not be fun to live with such an angry attitude.

Unfortunately people will believe your made-up stories of products you have never used (stated in your past posts) being unnecessary - so I am forced to tell my side.

Well, I didn't have an attitude before, but I do now, partner.

Which "made up story" are you writing about?

The one where I heard that your stuff fell apart? There are tons of products that I have never bought because of that very reason. I must be stupid....a guy should never trust his friends, eh?

Now you've confirmed that some did indeed fall apart, but it wasn't your fault.....you should'a used "bad gas".in the weld machine.....at least that would have been funny. But no, you get all indignant about MY attitude. As a defense, that won't cut it but it takes a deep intellect to come up with it.
JWest
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 23 2009, 07:11 PM) *

Which "made up story" are you writing about?

As typical on the internet, I'm probably misinterpreting or reading things into your posts that are not there. I'm sorry for making it personal if that was unwarranted. Here is my view (right or wrong):

The story is the one that you tell of my stuff not being any better than stock despite the fact that you have never used it so you have no basis. If it is just what you have heard, then tell those friends to post their problems with my product - second and third hand knowledge posted on the internet is always useful, of course wacko.gif .

My problem with your posts is that you keep giving your opinion of how well my stuff works in operation (not that you heard about failures), but you have yet to try it and have no first hand knowledge. If you had a real interest in my product, you could have asked me if I ever had any issues with failures and what had I done to resolve it (I have real answers and solutions, not excuses like scum companies who don't care and keep selling trash that you seem to be grouping me with).

Instead, you just make passing "it does not work as well as stock" comments every time the subject comes up. This is the first time you have told the reason why you have a problem with my shifter.

I hate to continue this, but you keep changing your angle - first it does not work right, then it was designed by the customers, then it was bad QA - I keep chasing your comments.

I know that this does not come across in my posts as I am trying to defend against what I believe you are saying that is not accurate, but I have a lot of respect for you. I would have been honored to have you test my parts in the pre-release stages and give your opinion if you were local to me. That is why I continue to reply - I am surprised that you would make a blanket "does not work" comment about a product based on heresay and I want to get to the bottom of it.

I said I made a mistake - I admitted it above and dealt with it.

Summary (as I see it):

I've had 6 1/2 years of shifter sales, (5 1/2 onthe current product with no issues). I screwed up because I was behind on production after the first 6 months, and I fixed the issue with production changes and with the customers. I really fixed it after a year with a redisign that was better and more reliable to produce.

You don't trust my product because you heard about a failure, but you really don't know the details. I believe I have made them clear.

Oh, I think the guy used "no gas" in the welding machine headbang.gif - looking at the break after it occured - full of bubbles - couldn't tell from the outside but they broke right away in use. My mistake for farming out work to a "pro" and relying on the weld alone. Lucky for me it was just a small catch-up batch. I used a pressed pin to take the load and a weld just to hold it together after that. Later revised design does not use a weld that can fail, so I don't have that risk at all.

SirAndy
confused24.gif And here i thought i was the only one getting in epic pissing matches! biggrin.gif

Either way, i'm very happy with my 1st gen J-West shifter that apparently "does not work" and should have broken 5 years ago.

I'm also very happy with the J-West shift linkage package. Works for me. But what do i know.
popcorn[1].gif Andy

PS: And i was actually there when one of the old shifters broke. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but if i recall correctly, James took care of that.
J P Stein
Just so we have it clear. I have said and will continue to say that your shifter is not worth the cost TO ME. The same is true of your shift console fix....TO ME.

During the build of my car, I found many vendor parts that were worth the cost TO ME. Wevo, Tarett, Sheridan, Triad, Guard....yada. Your bits were not among them. The cost effectiveness is just not there.....TO ME.

I don't recall saying your stuff "does not work...."as I am quoted, but I will say
and you can quote me: " I ain't willing to spend the money to find out". Your price
for fixing the all of the 901 shifting "problems" is about the same as a brand new Guard TB diff. .

I'm done with 914s & this thread. I'm sure you can carry on.
BKLA
its unfortunate that this thread went this direction.

It really comes down to this: All of the people (at least those posting opinions) who have installed the JWest Shifter alone, or the JWest Shifter and the linkage are happy with the improvement (perceived or actual) over the stock design.

Was it worth the money? Again, speaking only for myself and others posting who installed and use the products - yes.
HAM Inc
I'm done with 914s & this thread
.bye1.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(BKLA @ Sep 24 2009, 03:08 PM) *

its unfortunate that this thread went this direction.

agree.gif

Was it worth the money? Again, speaking only for myself and others posting who installed and use the products - yes.

Worth every penny. My 911 came with what the PO called a factory short shifter, but shifting was like stirring a pot of spaghetti sauce until I installed the Rennshifter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.