Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Keoni914
I have a '72 1.7 that has a few problems. I have a 0 280 130 012 Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor that I would like to install but can't seem to figure out how.

It's near the #3 Cylinder, correct? Do I have to remove the intake? This newbie is stumped! hissyfit.gif

Can someone help me??

Thanks in advance!

Keoni914
Dave_Darling
You don't have to remove the intake. You do have to find the correct hole in the engine tin and make sure the sensor is there.

You can thread a deep-well 13mm socket on the wire, fold up the wire in the socket, and remove that way.

You can also strip the threads on the sensor that way. sad.gif Big PITA, very very hard to repair without dropping the engine.

A specialty tool that helps the R&R is a "tubular spanner", which is a hex-shaped metal tube that fits over the sensor and that you put a wrench over the other end.

Or you can knock one corner off of a short extension so that it allows room for the sensor's wire when you plug the extension into the back of the 13mm socket.

Whatever you use, hose it down with a lot of penetrating oil for a couple of days first. (WD-40 is not a penetrating oil; PB Blaster and Aero Kroyl are.) And pray.

--DD
Keoni914
Dave thanks but...

Oh Oh so your saying getting the old out might be a PITA?

From my perspective the hole looks like it's right in front of the intake, way too close for a deep socket. Am I looking in the right place? Anybody have photos?

Darn, nothing is easy on a Teener, huh?? sawzall-smiley.gif

Keoni914
McMark
Deep socket with an extension will fit.
Dave_Darling
I never found getting it out to be that difficult. Getting it out without the threads coming with it can be a challenge, and trying to install a time-sert or other thread repair without dropping the motor.... That is the true PITA!

And the deep-well socket with an extension works well. You may even be able to use a non-deep socket if you use an extension with a corner ground off to make room for the wire.

--DD
wilchek
This is what I did two years ago. I took the runners off and it was easy enough to get to. As I said in the post it is a little ways in the tin. I used a deep well 13mm socket. I ground off the edge of a cheap 2in extension so I could pull the wire thru. Beyond that it is not too bad. Look for the wire that goes into the tin thru a rubber grommet under the fuel injector intake runner on the passenger side.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=73201&hl=
jimkelly
i can't find it - but - there is an awesome thread here somewhere that shows some of the tools guys here made for working on thier 914's - one tool is a custom socket with pics to install this sensor. dang - i manually searched 22 pages and could not find it : ((
McMark
Jim, searched for "+homemade +tools".

Found that thread.
jimkelly
thanks

i tried special and custom - duh : ))

jim

QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 26 2009, 06:32 PM) *

Jim, searched for "+homemade +tools".

Found that thread.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.