Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just an FYI, I am retiring from the tranny rebuild biz this May-June
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Dr Evil
Some folks seem to have the impression that I will always be a resource for rebuilding gear boxes. I have been remarkably able to do this while going to medical school, and have lots of time to do it while pursuing my MPH online, but I intend to start a residency in July 2010 and as such I will be taking a break from rebuilding transmissions, making bolts, engine adapters, etc. I will need to focus on my new profession and will be way too busy to fulfill rebuild obligations. So, ya better take advantage of me while you can wink.gif
J P Stein
Funny, May/June I'll be retiring from my real job. Maybe I'll take up trans rebuilding. biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Maybe I can come out a certify you so people trust you tongue.gif
turboman808
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 5 2009, 01:00 PM) *

better take advantage of me while you can

IPB Image
montoya 73 2.0
Say it aint so!!!!
Dr Evil
I forgot to mention that all of my customers will still have access to me and 6mo/6kmi warranty still stands smile.gif
Katmanken
Dang,

My lack of job and money is being exceeded by yer leaving the business. Did you train an apprentice?

I understand. Residency means no life. Good luck with the new job.

Now we need somebody to buy yer parts stash....

Take care, store up on sleep now.

Ken
Dr Evil
I have not had an apprentice, but not for lack of want. I would dig teaching someone who could take over like I did for Red-Beard when he retired.

I plan on liquidating my parts stash during my rebuild tour of the US smile.gif That is why I am out of cores, and only looking for one for a customer currently.

I need to make a stock pile of bolts, but I hate making those damn bolts mad.gif
Dr Evil
Oh ya, I am not leaving the community completely high and dry, I am sourcing alternative builders. I would love to see their work first, but will likely not be able to. Thus, I will be posting in my retirement thread the contacts I have found/been given and people can see if they are any good smile.gif
jsayre914
bye1.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 5 2009, 05:11 PM) *

Who certified you?
scotty b
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 5 2009, 03:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 5 2009, 05:11 PM) *

Who certified you?

carr914
Will the T-Shirts be done by your retirement?

T.C.
J P Stein
Back in the late 60s I rebuilt T10s/Muncies for 20 bucks plus parts.....bout 2 hours of work. I'd also get them for 20 bucks to take it out & put it back in....that was work. blink.gif The iron case Ford T-10 is one heavy sumbitch when you have it for a chest ornament.
Did a decent biddness till I got drafted. It seems that folks are intimidated by transmissions and don't wanna tackle them. The vast majority of the problems consisted of sliders, syncros, & dog teeth, the same with 901s......piece of cake.

The big difference these days are prices. A T-10 silder assembly back then was under 40 bucks.....the same for gear sets over the counter at the Chevy dealer. 40 bucks will hardly get ya a 901 dog tooth ring now days. 901 gut prices are outragous.....thus used bits come into play. If you can't afford (or find) a new 1st gear slider, your 914 is daid...unless you go with a decent used bit. Judgment here is invaluable. I would think that judgment is what people pay Doc for.....cause a monkey can put the thing together.
Dr Evil
What do you mean, a Monkey DOES put them together biggrin.gif

On the 1st slider front, what on that. There are things a brewing....
computers4kids
Mike,
If you are working in the ER, we could put a 901 on a gurney to get you in the mood. Your skills as a tranny guru is truly an art and doesn't need to stop because of your residency.
Any there is always the Hippocratic Oath
...I will preserve the purity of my life and my arts...If I keep this oath faithfully, may I enjoy my life and practice my art, respected by all men and in all times; but if I swerve from it or violate it, may the reverse be my lot. rolleyes.gif
Wilhelm
So what are you doing a residency in? Some certainly leave more free time than others. In fact don't the new rules limit you to 80 hours a week and no more than 24 hours on duty at a time? That should leave you LOTS of time to meet our needs.
Rick_Eberle
Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
sad.gif You're a bad person for doing this Mike poke.gif

happy11.gif
Dr Evil
Rick, that is an awesome pic. Too bad the doc has hair sad.gif
sww914
You're blowing it. That Dr business will get you nowhere. Whaddaya want, a yacht? You could have had a pile of stinky used parts running your life buuuut noooooooo, you want to go be a doctor.
Stop by my new shop as you traverse California. San Luis Obispo is a good place to stop between LA and the Bay Area.
You can find me at 2964 S. Higuera in San Luis Obispo, Ca 93401
Best of luck to you Dr! (Dr!) !!!
Rick_Eberle
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Could you please do a whole classic thread "Dr.Evil's Tranny Clinic" write up so we can just do it ourselves?

I have one good one, one something going on in the output flanges (trust in/out) and two unknown, told they were good, sitting 20+ years both out of wrecks with broken mounts.

Always wanted a spare but shipping would kill me from Canada. There's a semi-local guy that does it here but costs more than shipping to you.

I've built bug engines for a long time, but I've only ever changed swing axles, shimmed the diff and flipped a diff once.Trannys for bugs I just phoned Rancho, it's cheap and in my hands two weeks later.

Classic thread please!!! pray.gif
Dr Evil
I am writing a possible video syllabus smile.gif I am going to see if Zach and I can make a how to video and sell it. That should address many questions and guide people through the process. Its a ways out and wont be done until I retire wink.gif
Dr Evil
Mark,
I wish I could do a clinic in Canada. I would even give you the better exchange rate of 1:1 wink.gif Find 4-5 people and lets do it!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 6 2009, 01:16 AM) *

Mark,
I wish I could do a clinic in Canada. I would even give you the better exchange rate of 1:1 wink.gif Find 4-5 people and lets do it!

blink.gif I've seen what you charge! I bet I could do that! idea.gif

I bet I could get that many from mike galloway (mikes 914) alone...shit he must have 20 cores...he'll make you build and go through them all I bet!
Do you do the 911 901? I know one that needs doing.
We have a spare room, but once your done do a holiday!

Bet Dave P wants one

If your serious I think I could make this happen. idea.gif
PanelBilly
Haven't you seen the movie? If you don't train another Jeti knight, you don't get to go on to the next life. You have to keep comming back to give advise to the young warriors until they can do it themselves.
Mark Henry
Ummm doc opened his big mouth. smile.gif

I already have your minimum 4 trannies

So....fall or spring Canadian paid vacation biggrin.gif
6freak
So what your telling us is that you will have to wash your hands after you pee instead of before you pee...hahaha .... good luck in your next venture
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 6 2009, 10:10 AM) *

Ummm doc opened his big mouth. smile.gif

I already have your minimum 4 trannies

So....fall or spring Canadian paid vacation biggrin.gif

Mark,

I am very serious. I have wanted to go back to CA since I was there last back in 93. I have a soft spot for Canadians. PM me and lets get it set up. I can do it pretty quickly.
Yes I do ALL 901 so 911 is included. I have one that i am finishing up for pick up on Wed, actually.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Aug 6 2009, 02:15 AM) *

Haven't you seen the movie? If you don't train another Jeti knight, you don't get to go on to the next life. You have to keep comming back to give advise to the young warriors until they can do it themselves.

Billy,
As luck would have it I am in negotiations with a potential Sith trainee right now. He is serious about taking over the biz and putting the time in to learn the ins and outs of repair. C'mon, jedi? Me? Not. happy11.gif

"Embrace your anger!"
Cupomeat
Let me know if you want help with the training video.

I have a production company, www.cupomeat.net (although the website is in flux right now) and can certainly do anything related to video.

As for you being a sith lord, NOT A CHANCE, I've seen the inside of your garage. No self respecting bad guy would ever hang onto the stuff you do... laugh.gif
Dr Evil
Not nice, Eric.

We can talk Wed about the video. I am very much wanting to do this. I just need a camera and a camera man to start with smile.gif Zach has agreed to help, but his free time is poo.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 6 2009, 01:34 PM) *

Not nice, Eric.

We can talk Wed about the video. I am very much wanting to do this. I just need a camera and a camera man to start with smile.gif Zach has agreed to help, but his free time is poo.

Can you video all your future clinics and then edit them to your liking for the final cut? Just something to think about.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Aug 6 2009, 05:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 6 2009, 01:34 PM) *

Not nice, Eric.

Can you video all your future clinics and then edit them to your liking for the final cut? Just something to think about.

Two problems I foresee with that idea; I need to be involved with the rebuilding and teaching and dont want to be distracted by videoing, and I dont have a video camera. I can remedy the no camera part probably pretty easy. Its possible to get some footage of the clinics with out denying those that are there to learn, I think. I'll look into it. Do you have any ideas of a good, inexpensive video camera that I can get? I dont know squat about video since VHS went out of style rolleyes.gif
montoya 73 2.0
I'd get one that records on mini disc's.

I'm just suggesting that you tape for extra footage. Your going to be instructing three clinics and you should be able to use a majority of that free footage. Then you can tape the tech stuff that you would probably need later. Thats why editors get paid the big bucks! Plus you would want to look back upon your days when you used to get your hands nice and greasy, and think of all the fun you used to have and the riff raff you used to talk too!

Ohhh, Have one of the freeloaders video tape. Follow you around like a little puppy! Dude, a majority of the work would be done and you would be getting paid to do it. A big time saver!
lotus_65
you/the work deserves a pro vid job.

advertise on cl, look at some work/resume's.
choose one and do it.

it'll be well worth it in the end.

i've got your guy here, and a bitchen' soundset*
if you swing by minneapolis.

thefleur

(*easy access, not my studio)
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Aug 6 2009, 07:31 PM) *

you/the work deserves a pro vid job.

advertise on cl, look at some work/resume's.
choose one and do it.

it'll be well worth it in the end.

i've got your guy here, and a bitchen' soundset*
if you swing by minneapolis.

thefleur

(*easy access, not my studio)

After thinking about it you are right, He deserves a pro vid!
Cupomeat
I can handle the quality video work for him, just need to work out the details.

Anyway, a real pro vid job is $6k-$10k for the crew for the day (DP, 3 crew and equipment) and that doesn't even get into the editing/post costs. These are NYC prices, so I'd bet less in central PA, but not too much less.

Whatever he wants to do.
lotus_65
i have a crew that would do it just as an excuse to get together. it would be cheap to shoot.
anyone skilled will need some post production payola- but again, worth it. think of it this way:
stuff like this needs to be done for the future generations of 914 owners as much as for us now. do it once, very well, and your vid is viewed until humans stop driving.

p.s.:here's my buddy's space, but there's a garage i know of that would slay.
http://www.escapespace.com/studio.html
Dr Evil
I am not sure that such a thing will be feasible. I am open to it if I can do it, though. I definitely will not have any $$ to spend on it other than for disks and maybe a camera confused24.gif
Drums66

[/quote]

blink.gif I've seen what you charge! I bet I could do that! idea.gif

Say aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh(from the opposite end!!) w00t.gif biggrin.gif

Cupomeat
Nah, there should be no $$ outlay for you on this project, just your time.

It will be slower than a normal gearbox rebuild as we'd have to reposition the camera to show the specifics. Handheld is OK for reality TV shows (pr crime dramas), but it gives most people a headache.

We'll talk on Wednesday and see what you want to do.

Richard Casto
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 6 2009, 03:46 PM) *

Billy,
As luck would have it I am in negotiations with a potential Sith trainee right now. He is serious about taking over the biz and putting the time in to learn the ins and outs of repair. C'mon, jedi? Me? Not. happy11.gif

"Embrace your anger!"

I will go ahead and step out of the shadows and say that Mike and I have been talking a bit about this and I am looking to be his apprentice (thank you Mike beerchug.gif ). I will say that I am committed to doing this and am very excited about it. smile.gif

Richard
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Aug 7 2009, 01:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 6 2009, 03:46 PM) *

Billy,

"Embrace your anger!"

I will go ahead and step out of the shadows and say that Mike and I have been talking a bit about this and I am looking to be his apprentice (thank you Mike beerchug.gif ). I will say that I am committed to doing this and am very excited about it. smile.gif

Richard

How long does the apprenticeship take? I had thought of doing it but the wife wasn't to excited about it.
Richard Casto
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Aug 7 2009, 05:12 PM) *

Richard

How long does the apprenticeship take? I had thought of doing it but the wife wasn't to excited about it.

We are still figuring this out, but that's really up to the Mike. My personal goal is to get as much hands on experience as possible between now and when Mike is ready to step back.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Aug 7 2009, 02:50 PM) *

QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Aug 7 2009, 05:12 PM) *

Richard

We are still figuring this out, but that's really up to the Mike. My personal goal is to get as much hands on experience as possible between now and when Mike is ready to step back.

Well good luck! I'm sure we will be doing business at some point in the future. Maybe even being your future apprentice if this Mechanical designer/drafter thing doesn't work out. Things are still slow over here.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Aug 6 2009, 12:06 PM) *

As for you being a sith lord, NOT A CHANCE, I've seen the inside of your garage. No self respecting bad guy would ever hang onto the stuff you do... laugh.gif

Not to mention, Sith Lords do not drive Subaru Foresters.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Aug 7 2009, 04:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Aug 6 2009, 12:06 PM) *

Not to mention, Sith Lords do not drive Subaru Foresters.

lol-2.gif As Larry the cable guy would say,"I don't care who you are, Now thats funny"!!!
Dr Evil
stfu.gif Todd bootyshake.gif tongue.gif

Sith lords can only have one apprentice. That is all I will train. If you want to be my apprentice you must kill my current apprentice. Really, the job is not worth it wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.