Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Metal fatigue/stress marks near front subframe mount?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ghuff
Bear with me I am going to get pictures, but I have what looks like metal fatigue. There was some cracked paint and surface rust starting on the drivers side rear control arm mounting point.

I think it may be from curbing in the past. It does not appear the front subframe mount was pulled out of alignment at all which is very odd, however the torsion bar adjustment is way off side to side.....

Does anyone have a list of measurements for the front end? I want to make sure nothing is tweaked and if so, the car needs to go to the frame shop now then I can be sure it is straight.

I suppose a 100% straightedge between the two rear mounting points would allow me to see if it were true heightwise....

The welds and undercoating on the tab that holds the bolt/threads are fine. It is just near the 90 degree sheetmetal tab that holds the rubber brake line to the unibody where it joins the steel.
jmill
Go here. Andy hooked me up with these.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...hl=measurements
Dave_Darling
"914 Info" link at the top of the page. One of the links on the page that goes to is this one:

http://www.914world.com/specs/underdims.php

--DD
ghuff
Picture time! I tried with the light I had available. This point and shoot kind of sucks as well, but

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
ghuff
More

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
ghuff
Incandescent light 100% sucks.

I will try to take some better photos tonight, but you can sort of see breaks in the undercoating along with the main vein of stress there.

I have been keeping it soaked in metal ready.
type47
"normal" rust (for a 30 yr old non-galvanized body)?
ghuff
Definitely not. 1st pic, 2nd post of pictures. Look at the subframe mount, it appears to be every so slightly lifted.

The breaking in the paint across in picture 2 of post 1 of pictures.

The rust started due to the paint breaking, the paint broke due to something. The question, is this thing bent sad.gif
r_towle
It looks like the rust has weakened that area enough that you should strip the paint....then take more pics.

Typical problem is the battery acid has dripped down and the metal is not as thick as it was on day one.

Most of us have fixed this...others are waiting to fix it....
Its the same problem and there are tons of pictures here.

Search for "hell hole"

Rich
ghuff
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 12 2009, 12:02 PM) *

It looks like the rust has weakened that area enough that you should strip the paint....then take more pics.

Typical problem is the battery acid has dripped down and the metal is not as thick as it was on day one.

Most of us have fixed this...others are waiting to fix it....
Its the same problem and there are tons of pictures here.

Search for "hell hole"

Rich

Rich,
I had to take the pictures at very shitty angles, I could not get the light/camera combo in there any other way.

This is the drivers side inner fender area where the tie rods, steering rack and subframe all are.

The brake line/hose is a front line and hose.

I know the pictures really suck. I am going to try and get a fluoro light under there and some better angles tonight.
ghuff
Actually can you guys not tell where/waht it is from the pictures?

If so I will take more. I need opinions on this from folks who have owned these cars long term and dealt with this before.

Something like this would not scare me much on a modern car, but a 914.... i dont know. Maybe it is my uncomfortable factor with them.
r_towle
It looks like a wrinkle (now that I know what I am looking at)

I still suggest you remove the undercoating...(kerosene and a scraper)

Then see how it looks.

There is an odd wrinkle (I think) that might be from an accident.

Rich
roadster fan
I agree with Rich, strip the area to bare metal to make a better assessment. The link below is for a reinforcement piece for the sway bar that some cars have in that area but you could modify or use as is to strengthen that area after the repair is done. Hope this helps,

Jim

Engman swaybar reinforcement
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.