Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Carb linkage for /4 engines- RAT "Accu-Link"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Jake Raby
Its a full throttle linkage system... Meaning that it will replace everything all the way to the pedal.

I have 1/2 dozen test vehicles on site, but lack the time to devote to finish this. Now with the spring rush here I am busy just trying to meet deadlines imposed by procrastinators.. Its a never ending battle.
jeffdon
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 23 2010, 06:44 PM) *

Its a full throttle linkage system... Meaning that it will replace everything all the way to the pedal.

Now THATS interesting.......pics please!
Cevan
QUOTE(Van @ Mar 23 2010, 04:38 PM) *

Chris, you seem to be a master mechanic and a master carpenter!

Thanks. I'll probably still go with Jake's linkage when it comes out because I know it will be bulletproof. I'm no mechanical engineer.
DBCooper
If you don't want to wait you might contact the guy (Slowtwitch, last two pages) directly:

http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=109159

This is his linkage:
IPB Image

Several other simple ideas in that thread too.

Jake Raby
Pete and I talked last week... He and I have collaborated a bit about the system.
What he has been doing is totally separate from our efforts, but we have been helping each other. (Mostly him sharing with me)

I have been working on the insurance issues and may have a way around them. The big difference is my arrangement is a complete throttle assembly that will extend all the way to the pedal and in some applications will even include a pedal lever to replace the original, its not just a subs-system of the engine as most throttle assemblies are.. I am doing this to provide the best ratios for the size wheels that we have worked with, primarily because it is a possibility to have too light of a throttle action with these wheels and some throttle levers.

Lots of people want this and if at all possible I want to offer our version of it, which is quite a bit different than what Pete has done.. He has AWESOME ideas and excellent machine work, no doubt.

flipb
Jake, your business decisions are not up to me, but I'll toss in my two cents:

I think you'd be doing a great service to the TIV community in producing the Accu-Link system. Perhaps it would resolve some of your support & insurance concerns if you only sell them through "certified" resellers who provide some level of Tier 1 support.

I know I'd screw something up myself, but if I had the chance to buy an Accu-Link system, it would be my pro wrench (big Pcar guy) who would install it. I wouldn't even attempt it. And a lot of the guys on this board are capable of both installing it themselves and providing some level of community support to others.

Take that for what you will... just thought I'd offer my encouragement. Like I told you before, every month that the future of Accu-Link is uncertain is another month that I'm driving around with a Weber Progressive...
poke.gif
Jake Raby
Jake, your business decisions are not up to me, but I'll toss in my two cents:

As always, there are tons of variables that no one except the man in charge will understand..

I think you'd be doing a great service to the TIV community in producing the Accu-Link system.

I concur.

Perhaps it would resolve some of your support & insurance concerns if you only sell them through "certified" resellers who provide some level of Tier 1 support.

Actually, that would breed problems.. Because those resellers are generally like all other re-sellers in the fact that they don't use the system enough to thoroughly understand it. That means the support they give is marginal at best, or would be worse than no support because it would be the WRONG advice.

This is one of my biggest gripes with most companies that re-sell components is that generally they have less than adequate experience. We pride ourselves in knowing more about what we sell than anyone else.

I know I'd screw something up myself, but if I had the chance to buy an Accu-Link system, it would be my pro wrench (big Pcar guy) who would install it. I wouldn't even attempt it. And a lot of the guys on this board are capable of both installing it themselves and providing some level of community support to others.

Thats just part of life and part of selling things. All we can do is make it perfectly clear that the system has a difficulty level that isn't for everyone.

Take that for what you will... just thought I'd offer my encouragement. Like I told you before, every month that the future of Accu-Link is uncertain is another month that I'm driving around with a Weber Progressive...

Lots of people share your feelings. Linkage has been the achilles heel of Carburetors for decades and I'd like to be able to change that.. I don't want to risk my business to do that, however. Doing business today is difficult if you cover your ass and do whats right and fair.

There are complications that go much further than installation or manufacturing... Let someone have a sticky throttle and hit a brick wall at 80 MPH and thats when the shit hits the fan.
Jake Raby
Coming Soon!
Click to view attachment
I re-designed the system and it is too damn good not to sell!
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 21 2010, 06:52 PM) *

Coming Soon!
Click to view attachment
I re-designed the system and it is too damn good not to sell!

Dude, this is GREAT news.

Zach
lotus_65
lookin' good jake---
except for the hissyfit.gif
i mean dang, dude.
bugsy0
I'm interested!
swood
Do tell...pics and $
kharma
Awesome!!! beerchug.gif
Jake Raby
The system is on the dyno today being evaluated... I will continue this for another couple of weeks doing back to back testing with Hex Bar to better understand the benefits of the system. I am re-configuring my data logging system to allow for throttle position logging so we can plot the absolute position of each carb/ throttle body throughout the range of motion.

One of the issues this system solves is the mechanical differential of carburetor position and cylinder offsets. I want to log this to substantiate these claims.

What I have come up with for this final design is universally applicable to any common carbs used on these engines, you can swap between Weber, Dellorto, EMPI and Solex carbs with the same linkage system!

I will offer three different ratios for movement so you can easily "tune" the pedal feel and travel for your driving style or application.

I am holding pics of this final arrangement from the public as I work to enhance the aesthetics a bit with some new pieces that will be in place for testing when I return from Vacation on 5 July. The system is nothing like what I originally posted here, the re-design pretty much impacted every part in some way.
jeffdon
Eagerly awaiting details!
Jake Raby
Had a very successful day on the dyno today! The actuation is so smooth and throttle position changes are so positive.

The engine just plain runs better, adding the acculink cleared up an off idle rich spot that the engine had with hex bar.
The data logger is being reconfigured especially for this evaluation to include a method of measuring engine harmonics.
Silverstreak
Smashing! Can't wait!
RiqueMar

Just tell me what numbers to put on the check....
aktion035.gif
dinomium
the waiting! I HATE the waiting! I could throw you a rope if you like?
ripper911
I have only recently switched to dual carbs, and I now understand why this is such an issue... I will be buying this setup when it is available.
tornik550
I desperately want this setup. I have a hexbar and it sucks. I also have a bellcrank link and it also sucks. This new setup looks great. I hope the price stays around the planned $159 (mentioned earlier) range.
biosurfer1
That surprises me tornik, I too had the hexbar and completely agree its a POS, however I got the bellcrank when it was unclear if Jake would produce the cable system and I have been very happy with it. Haven't touched it since I set everything and so far not a peep.

What problems do you have with yours?
McMark
And just as importantly, who made your bellcrank linkage? The CSP Bellcrank is pretty outstanding. I was really impressed with the construction quality.
ottox914
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 29 2010, 08:07 PM) *

And just as importantly, who made your bellcrank linkage? The CSP Bellcrank is pretty outstanding. I was really impressed with the construction quality.

Thats the one I'm using on the turbo 914, and it has been great. Only one problem that I've had, is that for the manifolds and TB's I've got, the threaded rods were just barely long enough, and I had one work loose from its lock nut and end fitting and BOOM, you loose 2 cyls. Not so much fun going up hill. The fix was easy enough, put it back together, but as it loosened the threads got buggered up. I got it back together, got home, but one bank was opening a little sooner than the other as I had to tighten it up more than the other side (shorten the rod effective length) to get to good thread. Solution: ugly but effective, I welded a short extension in the middle of each rod. Clamped the rod in some angle iron to keep it straight, a couple of quick sparks from the welder, a little time on the grinder and some silver paint, and you can hardly notice it. If the rods were long enough the first time, it'd be a perfect set up, but I guess this one is on me as they didn't list "mutant turbo 914" on the list of cars the linkage would fit.
jeffdon
This is the bellcrank my dad made for me over 20 yrs ago. Mostly stainless construction, with some delrin bushings. Its worked fine for a long time. That said, Jake has said his set up is a complete pedal-to-carb solution, and its the "too the pedal" improvement i am most curious about.

Click to view attachment
How bout an update, Jake.....

Inquiring minds want to know??

tornik550
I should clarify my earlier statement about the bellcrank. I have a CSP style and it is considerably better than the crossbar. It has been a bit of a pain syncing the carbs because of the expanding engine issue. I should also clarify that I am having other carb issues thatcould also be my problem so I should not blame the ink for all.

I do think that the new link looks better than any current.
URY914
I think Jake is on vacation for a few weeks.
JmuRiz
Yeah, I think he's out till the 5th at the earliest
Jake Raby
Yes... I am away and closed the facility until the 5th..
But Len is installing my latest version of the accu-link on our FP 914 right now, the system will be race proven i'm just a few days.

My newest changes further simplify the arrangement and make it simpler to manufacture as well as synchronize. It also removes the "wheels" from the arrangement altogether and also makes the same kit fit 6 different carb/ throttle body arangement as a one size fits all..

When I return we are gathering the remainder of dyno and field test data..
dinomium
how about a progressive carb trade in? for smashing of course!
jeffdon
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 30 2010, 06:09 PM) *

Yes... I am away and closed the facility until the 5th..
But Len is installing my latest version of the accu-link on our FP 914 right now, the system will be race proven i'm just a few days.

My newest changes further simplify the arrangement and make it simpler to manufacture as well as synchronize. It also removes the "wheels" from the arrangement altogether and also makes the same kit fit 6 different carb/ throttle body arangement as a one size fits all..

When I return we are gathering the remainder of dyno and field test data..

Jake, you are killing me. Get this mofo on the market.
flipb
QUOTE(dinomium @ Jul 7 2010, 12:47 AM) *

how about a progressive carb trade in? for smashing of course!

agree.gif

for Target Practice!
ar15.gif
JmuRiz
you'll shoot your eye out kid wink.gif
markb
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jul 7 2010, 08:54 AM) *

you'll shoot your eye out kid wink.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
Jake Raby
I've shot a progressive with a 45-70 and have unloaded many magazine of 7.62X39 from one of my AK 47s into one.. I want to get several together in a pile, load up the 20 round drum on my Saiga-12 gauge with 00 Buck and blast them to infinity on video.
charliew
You might want to try a limbsaver on the shotgun or reduced loads (managed recoil as they are called) but they do cost more.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(charliew @ Jul 7 2010, 02:56 PM) *

You might want to try a limbsaver on the shotgun or reduced loads (managed recoil as they are called) but they do cost more.

None necessary.. it's a folder with pistol grips... Just shoot from the hip and move the destruction over the intended target :-)
charliew
Oh yeah I forgot. My 11-87 nine shot special purpose is pretty normal, no folding stock for me as I can shoot better holding the normal stock and just watch the little blinking green light. My left hand has poor grip so the leverage of the stock helps me control it. My short high capacity toy is a heavily modded mini 14 bullpup with a masen muzzle brake with a shroud.

If you don't get your carb cables on the market I guess I will have to make my own but your's will surely be better than mine. I want to try this for a vw project.
bandjoey
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 7 2010, 04:51 PM) *

I've shot a progressive with a 45-70 and have unloaded many magazine of 7.62X39 from one of my AK 47s into one.. I want to get several together in a pile, load up the 20 round drum on my Saiga-12 gauge with 00 Buck and blast them to infinity on video.

PULL BOOMBOOM! ar15.gif
dinomium
WTF.gif
where did all the excitement for this idea go?
Jake Raby
Into application. You'll see something soon.
dinomium
my wife's checkbook is standing by!
SGB
His wife's checkbook is standing by... I'm in!

Bring it on, Jake! There is a market need for this product.
Jake Raby
Received some parts from the waterjet cutter today. Should make good progress by months end.
charliew
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 7 2010, 04:51 PM) *

This might be of interest in your hobby time.

http://www.tacticalgearmag.com/page/video-...w-russian-saiga

jeffdon
BUMP

Any news on this?
Dr Evil
popcorn[1].gif
Jake Raby
We are outfitting our first turnkey engine for a customer with the system now.. A couple of hurdles still to overcome but they are small..
NC_Colfax
I need this also

My linkage setup on my webbers is hard to push. A better setup would really make the drive better.

Seems like a very good product
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.