Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sasquatch Part III Audi 1.8t transplant..., PCV upgrades finally...
Mike Bellis
post Jun 10 2012, 05:41 PM
Post #1

Resident Electrician

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I have A.D.D. I admit it. I also can't leave well enough alone. I got really motivated by Andrew Dalen and seeing a 914 with Subie power driving to WCR12 from Idaho. What a beautiful car...
I stumbled on a steal of a deal for a 2001 Passat 1.8t, Audi ATW engine and 5 speed transaxle. Long story short and here you go. New engine cleaned and ready for fab time. The exhaust and turbo have been removed before power washing.

Here is a link to Part I
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=0#entry1396734

Part II
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=172455

Attached Image

Here is the challenge. The transaxle. Either I fab an adapter, Fab an axle to take 1 Porsche CV and 1 Audi/VW CV or Replace with Boxster tranny, that will: Bolt right on, Shifter is cheap and available and requires less fab time. I'm leaning to the Boxster due to the 100mm Porsche CV flange. The Audi is 114mm.

Attached Image

This is whats left of the wiring after the car gets gutted. The ECU and gauge cluster have a symbiotic relationship. They work together and have to stay together to run. It looks like it will fit nicely into the stock location. I may have to adjust the column lower and build an trim ring around the cluster.

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 10 2012, 05:44 PM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Here is the Electronic Gas Pedal... Pretty cool. Should be pretty easy to build a bracket for it...

Attached Image

Attached Image

Close up of the tranny flange. The Audi CV looks like it has a thicker shaft too.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 10 2012, 05:50 PM
Post #3

Resident Electrician

So now I need to junk this Passat. Last time I junked a car was 20 years ago. Will they pick up a car or do I have to deliver it?

Attached Image

Attached Image

I also need to stock up on some DOM tubing and stuff. Think my welding supplies are good for now. Might need a bigger bottle for the MIG.

My back feels better too... But now I'm exhausted... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 10 2012, 05:52 PM
Post #4

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Hmmmm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 10 2012, 05:55 PM
Post #5

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 10 2012, 04:52 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) Engine is 24" Tall by 24" deep... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
andys
post Jun 10 2012, 06:11 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

I believe you can swap out the tripoid transaxle flages for the ones that are compatible with the Porsche CV. I used to know this stuff from memory, but......... On mine I went from tripoid to Porsche by machining my own adapters, but I also widened the bearing hubs. Keep in mind, the flanges on that 012 trans may not be symmetrical about the centerline of the trans; they weren't on my 01e. Inseted of goofing with axles, etc, I simply mounted the engine/trans off center by about 3/4".

Andys
+Quote Post
Tom
post Jun 10 2012, 06:13 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626

Mike,
Glad to hear your back is feeling better. Man, you sure like a challenge, don't you? Looking forward to seeing how this works out, not that I would do it myself.
Good luck to ya,
Tom
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 10 2012, 06:51 PM
Post #8

Resident Electrician

Here is the stock K03 turbo. It hangs from a chincy looking cast iron manifold. There are high flow cast replacement manifolds cheap. A K04 is a bolt on upgrade for this turbo. Bigger I guess... More better power (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

The stock dump/CAT pipe is 4" OD. Looks like connecting to my 4" exhaust is easy. I picked up this 4" flex too. A V band on one side and done. I will gut the CAT and shorten the chamber after I get to engine in the car.

Attached Image

Ever wondered what was inside? Is this platinum? Should I recycle it?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 10 2012, 06:56 PM
Post #9

Resident Electrician

Here is a DAPO mod to boost spring pressure. You shorten the rod by bending a "Z" into the rod. This one is a "V" and bound on the edge of the canister. This boost dump would be lees predictable and may suffer from boost creep or slow dump. Do it right or don't do it...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
okieflyr
post Jun 10 2012, 07:01 PM
Post #10

9fauxteen

Member No.: 3,426
Region Association: North East States

Years ago I had REVO flash the ecu to eliminate the cluster and a few emission control points. When I first converted to the 012, I had custom axles with the tripoid inners. When they started to wear, I had flange adapters made that equalized the output offset and allow me to use 944 joints.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 10 2012, 07:06 PM
Post #11

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(okieflyr @ Jun 10 2012, 06:01 PM) *

Years ago I had REVO flash the ecu to eliminate the cluster and a few emission control points. When I first converted to the 012, I had custom axles with the tripoid inners. When they started to wear, I had flange adapters made that equalized the output offset and allow me to use 944 joints.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

That's exactly what I would need. Got any drawings?
+Quote Post
okieflyr
post Jun 10 2012, 07:06 PM
Post #12

9fauxteen

Member No.: 3,426
Region Association: North East States

I do. Give me abit to find them though.
My setup fits ok top tp bottom, but some metal fab or removal will be in order for the rear of the engine. I did my VW 1.8t using a self-made crossmember to use the stock body mounting points.
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Jun 10 2012, 08:03 PM
Post #13

Drive Fast and Take Chances

Member No.: 12,156

I have loved the Sasquatch build btw... I actually wanted to comment on the K04 upgrade... If I can talk you out of it, I will try. The turbo is not a good add on for this engine stock. The efficiency is all at the wrong points and often blows these engines. If you want a good upgrade there is an outfit called frankenturbo that builds a hybrid for the 1.8t that is a perfect match. I drive an 02 GTI as my DD and spend a lot of time with these engines. I have thought about this same swap and I am glad to see someone doing it. Can't wait to see the progress!
+Quote Post
Porsche930dude
post Jun 10 2012, 08:17 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 13,819

Nice ill be watching. Cat converter guts arnt worth much. the recyclers like to see the whole cat so they know what theyre getting. Since all cats have different metal content prices are all over the map
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 10 2012, 09:04 PM
Post #15

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Jun 10 2012, 07:03 PM) *

I have loved the Sasquatch build btw... I actually wanted to comment on the K04 upgrade... If I can talk you out of it, I will try. The turbo is not a good add on for this engine stock. The efficiency is all at the wrong points and often blows these engines. If you want a good upgrade there is an outfit called frankenturbo that builds a hybrid for the 1.8t that is a perfect match. I drive an 02 GTI as my DD and spend a lot of time with these engines. I have thought about this same swap and I am glad to see someone doing it. Can't wait to see the progress!

I am having 034 Motorsport re-flash the ECU. They will remove the extras (ABS, Smog, etc...). They can put in a K04 tune. This will require injectors and stuff. No big deal. Price is the same. These guys know their shit too. When running, I can have them throw it on the dyno to fine tune it to my exhaust and intercooler.

You are correct about just throwing on a K04 to a stock motor. Heck I may go with an even bigger turbo. At this point it's pennies on the dollar to go bigger. The tune is the same price and the turbo is only a couple hundred more.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 10 2012, 09:11 PM
Post #16

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(okieflyr @ Jun 10 2012, 06:06 PM) *

I do. Give me abit to find them though.
My setup fits ok top tp bottom, but some metal fab or removal will be in order for the rear of the engine. I did my VW 1.8t using a self-made crossmember to use the stock body mounting points.

My plan is similar. Use front mounting points and then have to runners tied from there to the stock tranny mounts. Then just fab the 4 Audi mounting points. I will install it like I did my first Ford V8 914. Car jacked up, cherry picker and floor jacks to locate engine, measure and start welding... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) Need to pull the trigger on the tranny solution before final fitting. Boxster has different mounts. Anyone need a good Audi transaxle?

+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jun 10 2012, 09:22 PM
Post #17

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Let me know if you need the trailer for the passat.

Btw- nice project (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
yellowporky
post Jun 10 2012, 11:04 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 10,948
Region Association: Northern California

Mike,
Check to see about poping out the drive flanges from the trans and put in the boxster ones. When we were trying to decide what to do for axels someone told me to put the 6speed boxster drive flanges in so we could get larger cvs. They were wrong but I had to pop out the flanges to verify this info and it was very easy to do.
+Quote Post
rhd914
post Jun 10 2012, 11:16 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,332

Interesting project, just wondered if they flash the ecu, does that also do away with the key coding?
Geoff
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 10 2012, 11:18 PM
Post #20

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(rhd914 @ Jun 10 2012, 10:16 PM) *

Interesting project, just wondered if they flash the ecu, does that also do away with the key coding?
Geoff

Yes. the immobilizer will be eliminated.
+Quote Post

26 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:52 PM