Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LED Brake/Taillight Group Buy
chads74
post Apr 21 2014, 08:36 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,252
Region Association: South East States

Spoke can you add me for a set of the red turn signals to go with the brake lights?

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 21 2014, 09:35 AM
Post #42

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 20 2014, 09:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 20 2014, 09:55 PM) *

I just say this thread and WANT IN. Can I still get in?
Zach

Zach, for you, yes we will let you in. Just when is it you will have your car on the road? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Sweet. Let me know where to send money.
The car will be on the road "one day."
That day is nearer then it was last week. I want to drive it this spring and summer and fall, and then tear it apart again for the next batch of changes...
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
wes
post Apr 21 2014, 09:56 AM
Post #43

wes

Member No.: 8,436
Region Association: Northern California

Very nice, I'd like to get in on the compleat package with red turn signals and backup if possible.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post May 7 2014, 08:58 PM
Post #44

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

Updated the clips again. The inside turnsignal clips were modified with a slight bend to better fit the contour of the reflector housing. The small clips for the brakes were also changed a bit. The perch of clips were angled an additional 3.5 degrees to better match the board angle.

Also the clips are now in black because black looks cool.

Attached Image

The boards were updated to fix a few issues with the rev 2 boards. First the rev 2 boards were a bit too long given the thickness of the plastic clips. So the rev 3 boards are now 35mil (0.9mm) shorter.

Also the side facing LEDs on rev 2 interfered with the lens posts. On rev 3 the LEDs are pushed side by side to clear the lens posts.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post May 7 2014, 09:05 PM
Post #45

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Can I get a new set of clips? Those look a lot better than my brass ones.

Great work!
+Quote Post
Spoke
post May 7 2014, 09:44 PM
Post #46

Jerry

QUOTE(CptTripps @ May 7 2014, 11:05 PM) *

Can I get a new set of clips? Those look a lot better than my brass ones.

Great work!

Sure thing Doug. I'll try to get them out to you next week.

If anyone who has brass clips and wants the latest plastic clips, just give me a shout and I'll send them to you.
+Quote Post
dadaDaveed
post May 7 2014, 10:37 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 10,071
Region Association: Southwest Region

If the group buy is still open, I'm in for a pair of brakes and red turns. Thanks,

-Dave
+Quote Post
Rleog
post May 14 2014, 03:46 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 1,239
Region Association: North East States

I watched the development of these boards and was impressed with the attention paid to details involved in getting them to work, then in getting them to fit correctly within the taillight assembly. My boards arrived a couple of days ago so I tried a test fit on my boards with plastic clips.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i142.photobucket.com-1239-1400060777.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i142.photobucket.com-1239-1400060777.2.jpg)

The 3D printed plastic clips allow the boards to settle deeply enough to clear the lens.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i142.photobucket.com-1239-1400060777.3.jpg)

While I did not deal with the metal clips, I can add that I had very little difficulty adjusting the plastic clips to get a correct fit.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i142.photobucket.com-1239-1400060778.4.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i142.photobucket.com-1239-1400060778.5.jpg)

Nicely done, Spoke! Your time and attention to detail is greatly appreciated.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
chads74
post May 14 2014, 06:21 AM
Post #49

I received mine in the mail yesterday, I was so excited I couldn't wait to get them in the car. Turned out to be one of the easiest things I have fiber on the car for a long time. Thanks for making a great product for us.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post May 19 2014, 09:40 PM
Post #50

One Lap of America in a 914!

Member No.: 9,101

Bumping this back up to the top. Just installed mine tonight and am ecstatic about them. If you haven't already, BUY SOME NOW. These are incredibly well built, install easily, are a perfect fit and work as advertised! AWESOME job Spoke!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
chads74
post May 20 2014, 11:21 AM
Post #51

Drove at night again and felt very confident that I was actually seen. Again great job!
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post May 20 2014, 02:46 PM
Post #52

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If this group buy is still Open I want a full set for Red Tailights.

I'll PM you.

Tomeric got his and told me i NEED to get them... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post May 20 2014, 03:27 PM
Post #53

Jerry

Glad to hear the good reports. Keep me posted if you run into any difficulties.

The group buy is still open although the name "group buy" is misleading. The only thing bought in groups are PCBs and parts. Each of these boards are made by hand, soldering one LED at a time. (It beats watching DWTS).

I'm working through the list of folks who want the lights. If you've spoke up here I will get to you.

It's been taking about 2 weeks from payment to shipment for a set of boards. I won't ask for payment until I'm ready to build your boards.

Thanks for your support.
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post May 20 2014, 08:19 PM
Post #54

One Lap of America in a 914!

Member No.: 9,101

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ May 20 2014, 03:46 PM) *

Tomeric got his and told me i NEED to get them... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

This isn't a want, this is a MUST buy. Otherwise, you will covet my taillights.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jun 1 2014, 08:35 PM
Post #55

Jerry

A couple of items about the turnsignal LEDs:

ITEM 1.
Has anyone using the turnsignal LEDs have issues with your blinker? I've heard from one person that the blinker doesn't work if the running lights are on.

This makes some sense as with the running lights on, when the blinker turns off, the LED array basically looks like an open circuit because of the steering diodes used to isolate the running light brightness from the turnsignal brightness.

If this is an issue, you may need to install an LED-ready blinker. I tried to search for a thread here that discussed the part-number for the LED-ready blinker but couldn't find it. If anyone can find the thread or the p/n please let me know.

My blinker doesn't seem to suffer from this issue. Here's my car with running lights on and turnsignals on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG8-TevjczE

ITEM 2.
For those of you doing AMBER turnsignals: For running lights I light up the LED array as dimly as possible to simulate the bleed-through of the OEM side marker bulb to the turnsignal lens and to give the car a larger light-footprint at night.

One member doesn't like the amber lens lit up for running lights and disconnected the side marker/LED array from the running lights. Does anyone else want the LED array off for running lights?

For RED turnsignals there should be no issue with the LED array being on for running lights as these are red and not unusual to have red running lights on the rear of the vehicle.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jun 2 2014, 05:46 AM
Post #56

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Only issue I have is the lights not blinking. This is likely due to the lower voltage draw, and me needing to use LED relays. The issue I have is that the flasher relays I have int he harness are 2-pole, and the replacement LED relays are 3. Looks like they have a ground on them. I need to work this out with DrEvil before I can expect them to flash. Unless there's a resistor I can use or something.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 5 2014, 09:39 PM
Post #57

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Finally got around to installing my set. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Two things:

- The new bulb sockets are a bitch to get in and turned. I ended up using pliers and completely mangled the thin metal. I hope i never have to take them out again.
In hindsight, i should probably have used some dielectric grease.

- The lights looks great, however, the brightness falls off sharply as soon as you look at them from any kind of angle.
Probably not a problem at night but i can see this being a problem during the day since in most other cars, people sit much higher and if they're close (think commuter traffic) they probably can't see my taillights at all.

I'll have to do some more testing on this ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Jun 6 2014, 04:06 AM
Post #58

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632

Apologize for slight hijack-
Looked into replacing the bulbs in my wifes Mercedes E320 with LEDS. Between the need for a resistor, the resultant heat, throwing trouble codes etc. Never did it. I think keeping the bulbs and wiring in a strip of LEDS around the inside of the lens might be something I may try to increase visibility.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 6 2014, 04:54 AM
Post #59

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

I remember seeing the development thread, but apparently missed this GB thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I'm seriously thinking about getting these (with amber turn signals) as the original lighting does lack brilliance (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I'm subscribed now, so I'll pop back in in the near future. It looks like you've got a good backlog right now anyway.

Awesome 'possum (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jun 6 2014, 08:32 PM
Post #60

Jerry

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 5 2014, 11:39 PM) *

Finally got around to installing my set. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Two things:

- The new bulb sockets are a bitch to get in and turned. I ended up using pliers and completely mangled the thin metal. I hope i never have to take them out again.
In hindsight, i should probably have used some dielectric grease.

They can be a little tricky to install as there is not much material to grab onto. I've found putting a finger in the open end of the socket provides enough grip to install. The brake bulb is the most difficult since it is keyed. I'm glad that you didn't use a hammer or drill or other power tool... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 5 2014, 11:39 PM) *

- The lights looks great, however, the brightness falls off sharply as soon as you look at them from any kind of angle.
Probably not a problem at night but i can see this being a problem during the day since in most other cars, people sit much higher and if they're close (think commuter traffic) they probably can't see my taillights at all.

I'll have to do some more testing on this ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

These do have a tight 1/2 power angle of dispersion of 15 degrees. There exists another LED in the same family with a 23 degree 1/2 power angle but it is available in very limited quantities. The stock lens will disperse the light a bit more.

Did you have any issues with the turnsignals not blinking?
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 01:58 PM