Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What price for a LE 914, What price for a LE 914
somd914
post Mar 4 2015, 11:59 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

[/quote]

Also LEs were better drivers because of their suspension. They came with frint and rear sway bars and upgraded shocks.
[/quote]

Marginal difference, but I'll take my 911 front-end, 5 bolt fuchs with wider tires, and sway bars front and rear. Sure, not original, but handles and stops better than 914-4 suspension/brakes.

As for the engine, I agree Porsche made a some mods, but HP/torque gains were minimal and not unique to an LE.

As I mentioned, I realize the prices are pushing into the 911 SC/Carrera range, and I also understand collector versus driver cars, but I can't figure out why a paint scheme (and sway bars that any owner can easily and inexpensively add) brings the value up so much. Am I overlooking something?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Creamsicle New Zealand
post Mar 5 2015, 03:33 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 18,403
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

[quote name='somd914' date='Mar 4 2015, 09:59 PM' post='2155005']
[/quote]

Also LEs were better drivers because of their suspension. They came with frint and rear sway bars and upgraded shocks.
[/quote]

Marginal difference, but I'll take my 911 front-end, 5 bolt fuchs with wider tires, and sway bars front and rear. Sure, not original, but handles and stops better than 914-4 suspension/brakes.

As for the engine, I agree Porsche made a some mods, but HP/torque gains were minimal and not unique to an LE.

As I mentioned, I realize the prices are pushing into the 911 SC/Carrera range, and I also understand collector versus driver cars, but I can't figure out why a paint scheme (and sway bars that any owner can easily and inexpensively add) brings the value up so much. Am I overlooking something?
[/quote]
Rarity is probably the single biggest factor (in my humble option), as time goes by the rarer cars become, this is the driving factor of car valuations.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 5 2015, 06:25 AM
Post #23

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
somd914
post Mar 5 2015, 08:29 AM
Post #24

"Rarity is probably the single biggest factor (in my humble option), as time goes by the rarer cars become, this is the driving factor of car valuations."

I'd contend is more emotional than rarity.

I mentioned the 911 Wessiech limited edition, how about the Martini or Sebring 924s, or the 944 Celebration Edition? Porsche's history is rich in limited edition trim models like these, yet their pricing is commensurate with the non limited edition cars. Why is the 914 LE so different? Guess I haven't drunk the coolaid yet.

I would put value on a limited edition that brought unique performance enhancements that can't easily or inexpensively be cloned, but anyone can easily clone a 914 LE, and w/o knowledge of the VIN range and COA, nobody would be able to tell.

There's an old saying, don't buy a car as an investment...
+Quote Post
SteveLE
post Mar 5 2015, 12:05 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 18,471
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 4 2015, 05:57 PM) *

I could never part with my Creamsicle, so to me it's priceless. It was my Fathers car, only has 48k original miles on it & is the definition of a "garage queen". Been in my family since I was 11 & I'm now 52. However, if you found one in the condition mine is in & got it for less than $40k USD I'd say you got a bargain. It all depends on what you want the car for- collectability or driveability. I own 2 914s because I enjoy the car, but my LE is so pristine I barely drive it for fear of something happening to it. My other 914 is a genuine six that has had more owners than I know of, does not have it's original engine & has been highly modified. I enjoy the hell out of that car as much as I can (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Forget about our pricing thread, I'm still back on the picture of Mr. Blacksteins, AWSOME set of cars dude!
+Quote Post
somd914
post Mar 5 2015, 12:48 PM
Post #26

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Sorry, should have commented also - awesome cars, incredible ownership story that makes his creamsickle priceless!
+Quote Post
87m491
post Mar 5 2015, 04:59 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 14,731
Region Association: North East States

[/quote]

I can't figure out why a paint scheme (and sway bars that any owner can easily and inexpensively add) brings the value up so much. Am I overlooking something?
[/quote]

Not overlooking anything as far as I can tell, but for some folks seems to be worth paying a pretty good premium for.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Mar 6 2015, 09:15 PM
Post #28

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 4 2015, 08:57 PM) *
... but my LE is so pristine I barely drive it for fear of something happening to it. ...

Thanks for driving her to Okteenerfest last year (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
An awesome LE with an equally awesome history.

My LE (with a VIN only 15 away from Al's and a near twin with Cinnamon interior) is on the other end of the spectrum... neglected for 20 years by the previous owner. During my five years of ownership, I have restored/replaced/upgraded things as my budget can afford. Still needs a lot of rustoration and bodywork.
What's it worth? No idea (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Any other '74 in similar condition might bring $5-6k
As an LE... I suppose it depends how badly someone wanted it. I've seen similar go for $10k+

An LE that had been repainted silver just sold in Texas for $4k... that was a steal!

At some point, I will have a full restoration done on my Creamsicle. Of course, I will then have to do like Al and get a second 914 to drive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Mar 6 2015, 09:32 PM
Post #29

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Mar 6 2015, 10:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 4 2015, 08:57 PM) *
... but my LE is so pristine I barely drive it for fear of something happening to it. ...

Thanks for driving her to Okteenerfest last year (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
An awesome LE with an equally awesome history.

My LE (with a VIN only 15 away from Al's and a near twin with Cinnamon interior) is on the other end of the spectrum... neglected for 20 years by the previous owner. During my five years of ownership, I have restored/replaced/upgraded things as my budget can afford. Still needs a lot of rustoration and bodywork.
What's it worth? No idea (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Any other '74 in similar condition might bring $5-6k
As an LE... I suppose it depends how badly someone wanted it. I've seen similar go for $10k+

An LE that had been repainted silver just sold in Texas for $4k... that was a steal!

At some point, I will have a full restoration done on my Creamsicle. Of course, I will then have to do like Al and get a second 914 to drive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

No problem Steve, I enjoyed Okteenerfest very much, however I think you might have a problem w/ your granddaughter if you get another teener- she appears to love your creamsicle very much (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
sda4property@gmail.com
post Mar 20 2015, 01:51 PM
Post #30

SDA4PORSCHE

Member No.: 14,651
Region Association: Southern California

Steve,

20 Emails back & forth.
Contact me over the phone to discuss.

Scott D Anderson
562-987-1850
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 30 2015, 10:50 PM
Post #31

LUFTBRIGADE

Member No.: 15,092

Posting error
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 30 2015, 10:52 PM
Post #32

LUFTBRIGADE

Posting error
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 30 2015, 11:00 PM
Post #33

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(budk @ Mar 2 2015, 10:14 AM) *

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 1 2015, 07:50 PM) *

I have an impeccable LE Creamsicle. One of the first made, made on Valentine's Day 1974. Fully restored and rebuilt, the previous owner and I have put loads of money into this car. The engine is rebuilt, the tranny is rebuilt, it maintains the original fuel injection and I've replaced all the essential fuel injection parts with new parts. There's not much else to do to this car it's all been done. Its so nice that it was accepted in the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance in two weeks, which is one of the two most prestigious classic car shows in the world. Creamsicles are twice as scarce as Bumblebees (there's twice as many Bumblebees remaining in existence than Creamsicles). so not only is this the rarest production car in existence, it's also been fully restored. So if I even consider letting mine go, I would have to consider its rarity and the amount of time and money that has been put into it to make it the magnificent example it is today. And I'd have to bbe able to get another car just as nice to replace it.

I'm sure that your car is a wonderful example however let's not get too carried away.

According to Jeff Bowlsby's site, there are:

of the remaining Can Am cars, there are

142 bumblebees

95 creamsickles

237 Total LE's

So, to say that there are twice as many bumblebee's is a stretch, closer to 50% more which maybe is what you meant. Plus, Jeff's site is just informational and not "official" so there may be other LE's out there that are not on his site. When I found my LE in 2010 it was not listed in his database and every once in a while another one pops up.

Congrats on your Creamsickle and acceptance to Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance. It should be a great event. Can't wait to see the pics..

True, there are more vins recorded. But those numbers are just recorded vin numbers of known cars - regardless of condition or survival. Many of those cars are destroyed, abandoned, shells, etc. (See some of the pics of the registered vins). I'm referring to remaining actual complete and driveable surviving/restored cars.

+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Mar 31 2015, 05:59 AM
Post #34

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

[quote name='87m491' date='Mar 5 2015, 06:59 PM' post='2155231']
[/quote]

I can't figure out why a paint scheme (and sway bars that any owner can easily and inexpensively add) brings the value up so much. Am I overlooking something?
[/quote]

Not overlooking anything as far as I can tell, but for some folks seems to be worth paying a pretty good premium for.
[/quote]

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
I don't get it too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) Nice to look at, but it's just a paint job with a little add on's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Yes, it's worth a little more $$. It gets down to, no rust, matching engine #, paint condition, mileage, low production #'s, history, factory options, etc. etc. the price should always be based on all these things & a few more I didn't list. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
My humble opinion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
Tom
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 31 2015, 06:04 AM
Post #35

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

[quote name='TJB/914' date='Mar 31 2015, 07:59 AM' post='2167744']
[quote name='87m491' date='Mar 5 2015, 06:59 PM' post='2155231']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
I don't get it too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) Nice to look at, but it's just a paint job with a little add on's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Yes, it's worth a little more $$. It gets down to, no rust, matching engine #, paint condition, mileage, low production #'s, history, factory options, etc. etc. the price should always be based on all these things & a few more I didn't list. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
My humble opinion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
Tom
[/quote]

The more it gets talked about the more it becomes a "thing".
When Jeff made the registry, It helped it become more of a defined "thing"

Nothing wrong with liking the "thing", everyone has to decide whats important and valuable to them. It gets silly if you let others decide that for you.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Mar 31 2015, 06:21 AM
Post #36

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 31 2015, 08:04 AM) *

Nothing wrong with liking the "thing", everyone has to decide whats important and valuable to them. It gets silly if you let others decide that for you.

I agree. I like the creamsicle cars; however, I wouldn't pay a significant premium for one. That's just me.

The '70's had lots of "paint and stickers" packages on cars to try to sell slow moving inventory.
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Apr 2 2015, 12:25 PM
Post #37

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 31 2015, 08:21 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 31 2015, 08:04 AM) *

I agree. I like the creamsicle cars; however, I wouldn't pay a significant premium for one. That's just me.

The '70's had lots of "paint and stickers" packages on cars to try to sell slow moving inventory.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) That is so true Bill. Recall many.

X version-

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thetruthaboutcars.com-13632-1427999111.1.jpg)

in case you were color blind-

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/media.motortopia.com-13632-1427999111.2.jpg)

screamin chicken (I owned one)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.oldcarsweekly.com-13632-1427999112.3.jpg)

ugh

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/upload.wikimedia.org-13632-1427999112.4.jpg)

Didn't make this any faster

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/web-cars.com-13632-1427999112.5.jpg)

What is a Honcho? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) but you could order it with the Levi Denim package!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/betterparts.org-13632-1427999113.6.jpg)

Gold leaf package-

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/upload.wikimedia.org-13632-1427999113.7.jpg)

This was real wood ! Really! Wood!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/carphotos.cardomain.com-13632-1427999114.8.jpg)
+Quote Post
914work
post Apr 2 2015, 01:11 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 13,762
Region Association: None

So exactly then why are all you self professed skeptics bothering to clutter the OP's ad with your derogatory comments?
He clearly DOES see the"thing" about these "paint and stickers" packaged cars or he wouldn't have bothered to specify it.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Apr 2 2015, 01:41 PM
Post #39

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 2 2015, 03:11 PM) *

So exactly then why are all you self professed skeptics bothering to clutter the OP's ad with your derogatory comments?
He clearly DOES see the"thing" about these "paint and stickers" packaged cars or he wouldn't have bothered to specify it.

For a couple of reasons...

1. There has been a lot of excess hype lately about LE's....some of it over the top. Perhaps part of a "pump and dump" campaign

2. The OP posted "Can any one please tell me how much I could expect to pay for a very good condition LE as I have no idea." Based on that sentence, he is looking for input on the price. Some are merely explaining why (in their opinion) they wouldn't pay a huge premium.

Would you like for me to explain further? I'm bored right now and am happy to oblige... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Apr 2 2015, 01:43 PM
Post #40

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 2 2015, 03:11 PM) *

Furthermore, it wasn't a "paint and stickers" package. There was more to it than that (physically). But what was significant is that it commemorated something. It was made purposely to be a limited edition car, a special run and to commemorate Porsche's greatness and domination on the race track. That's like saying the 1973 911 2.7 and 3.0 911 RS - the car the 914 commemorated, was a "paint and stickers" to "sell slow moving inventory". Which by the way, the 914 WAS moving as Porsche's best selling model ever by far. Only a few of those RS "paint and stickers" cars were made too. Those "paint and stickers" RS cars are not probably the most valuable vintage Porsche cars you can buy.

LEs are special and rare. The rarest of the production breed, in fact. See it/like it or not.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 11:18 AM