Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What price for a LE 914, What price for a LE 914
mepstein
post Apr 2 2015, 01:59 PM
Post #41

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Your right. There was a fiberglass front spoiler that ads at least $10k to the value and enough downforce to drive upside down in a tunnel.

Similar to 911RS ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Apr 2 2015, 03:20 PM
Post #42

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Creamsicle New Zealand @ Feb 10 2015, 10:16 PM) *

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and to 914s. I'm seriously interested in purchasing a 914 LE. I live in New Zealand and would like to get one shipped here. Due to costs and time involved in shipping to NZ the car I purchase will be a keeper for many years.
I don't have the time to recondition one so would like to purchase one that is in very good condition. Can any one please tell me how much I could expect to pay for a very good condition LE as I have no idea. I'm happy to wait for several months or more for a LE to come up for sale.
Thanks in advance.
Steve

Why commenting on the OP's ad?
Because, it's not an ad? Is it? If it was a WTB, or FS I understand the rules and would not comment.
Plus Bill made a statement which jogged my memory of the 70's, and it was easy to substantiate the fact with photos that lots of cars during that era had decals. Marketing device to sell a product to a defined group of buyers. Don't know if the OP lived during those times?
Not trying to offend anyone or crap on anyone's parade. It was what is was.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Apr 2 2015, 09:27 PM
Post #43

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Should 98 paint code (special order paint to Porsche color) cars command a similar premium to the LE's? I would imagine that they are an order of magnitude rarer than the LE's (less than tens of identical models built vs. hundreds). Personally I think the Bumblebee is my favorite LE, although I have never seen a bumblebee in person. I am partial to black cars though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) !
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 2 2015, 09:59 PM
Post #44

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(rnellums @ Apr 2 2015, 11:27 PM) *

Should 98 paint code (special order paint to Porsche color) cars command a similar premium to the LE's? I would imagine that they are an order of magnitude rarer than the LE's (less than tens of identical models built vs. hundreds). Personally I think the Bumblebee is my favorite LE, although I have never seen a bumblebee in person. I am partial to black cars though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) !

Ross - The value of your car is what ever you want it to be. The trick is to get one buyer to feel the same as you.

Create a 98 paint code registry and your golden. Add letters after the model number - S, LE, RS work but you can use most any letter in the alphabet to denote special significance. Repeat the phrase - numbers matching. Oh, and add some stickers, everyone likes stickers.
+Quote Post
banananose914
post Apr 2 2015, 10:02 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 16,681
Region Association: None

Let us not forget the Popsicle, and the always troublesome menstrualcicle.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Apr 3 2015, 09:01 AM
Post #46

LUFTBRIGADE

Member No.: 15,092

QUOTE(rnellums @ Apr 2 2015, 11:27 PM) *

I originally did like the Bumblebee. But my Creamer has grown on me for sure and I much prefer it, even though I wasn't nuts about Light Ivory (I prefer a bold color on the 914). Black has actually become the only color I'm not a fan of for the 914. I think it hides all the angles of the car. Besides, it was the 70's and a funky looking car so it needs a funky looking color. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/creamsicle914.jpg)
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Apr 3 2015, 09:04 AM
Post #47

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 2 2015, 11:59 PM) *

Ross - The value of your car is what ever you want it to be. The trick is to get one buyer to feel the same as you.

Or convincing an LE owner to part with it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
87m491
post Apr 4 2015, 10:38 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 14,731
Region Association: North East States

This argument is a bit convoluted and hard to follow. Mentioning an original Carrera RS and LE together tries to bridge a huge chasm. Nothing that made the RS special was available off the shelf unlike everything on the LE, save maybe the stickers. While I appreciate the enthusiasm around LE's they were not the 1:1 V8 that was made for Piech. They are not one of the many handfuls? Of GT's made nor are they one of a few 916 variants so clearly, neither are they, nor will they ever be, "the rarest of the production breed". Whether or not folks choose to value them like they are is up to them!

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Apr 2 2015, 11:43 AM) *

QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 2 2015, 03:11 PM) *

So exactly then why are all you self professed skeptics bothering to clutter the OP's ad with your derogatory comments?
He clearly DOES see the"thing" about these "paint and stickers" packaged cars or he wouldn't have bothered to specify it.

Furthermore, it wasn't a "paint and stickers" package. There was more to it than that (physically). But what was significant is that it commemorated something. It was made purposely to be a limited edition car, a special run and to commemorate Porsche's greatness and domination on the race track. That's like saying the 1973 911 2.7 and 3.0 911 RS - the car the 914 commemorated, was a "paint and stickers" to "sell slow moving inventory". Which by the way, the 914 WAS moving as Porsche's best selling model ever by far. Only a few of those RS "paint and stickers" cars were made too. Those "paint and stickers" RS cars are not probably the most valuable vintage Porsche cars you can buy.

LEs are special and rare. The rarest of the production breed, in fact. See it/like it or not.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 4 2015, 12:42 PM
Post #49

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(87m491 @ Apr 4 2015, 12:38 PM) *

This argument is a bit convoluted and hard to follow. Mentioning an original Carrera RS and LE together tries to bridge a huge chasm. Nothing that made the RS special was available off the shelf unlike everything on the LE, save maybe the stickers. While I appreciate the enthusiasm around LE's they were not the 1:1 V8 that was made for Piech. They are not one of the many handfuls? Of GT's made nor are they one of a few 916 variants so clearly, neither are they, nor will they ever be, "the rarest of the production breed". Whether or not folks choose to value them like they are is up to them!

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Apr 2 2015, 11:43 AM) *

QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 2 2015, 03:11 PM) *

So exactly then why are all you self professed skeptics bothering to clutter the OP's ad with your derogatory comments?
He clearly DOES see the"thing" about these "paint and stickers" packaged cars or he wouldn't have bothered to specify it.

Furthermore, it wasn't a "paint and stickers" package. There was more to it than that (physically). But what was significant is that it commemorated something. It was made purposely to be a limited edition car, a special run and to commemorate Porsche's greatness and domination on the race track. That's like saying the 1973 911 2.7 and 3.0 911 RS - the car the 914 commemorated, was a "paint and stickers" to "sell slow moving inventory". Which by the way, the 914 WAS moving as Porsche's best selling model ever by far. Only a few of those RS "paint and stickers" cars were made too. Those "paint and stickers" RS cars are not probably the most valuable vintage Porsche cars you can buy.

LEs are special and rare. The rarest of the production breed, in fact. See it/like it or not.

Porsche produced 106 904s at four or five a day with a list price of US$7245 (FOB Stuttgart).
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Apr 4 2015, 07:14 PM
Post #50

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

911 RS = 914-6 GT M471

914 LE = 911 Weissach....without the good engine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Nice Weissachs get a 10% -15% premium to very small crowd that see paint, pinstriped seats, and colored wheels as an exclusivity (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
somd914
post Apr 4 2015, 09:11 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 12,741

And a few more limited edition Porsches from their long history of limited editions:

1973 911 RS - approx 1,600 produced, unclear on the number of US versions, performance package, race homologation

1974 911 RS - haven't found production numbers, performance package, race homologation

1980 911 Weisach Edition to recognize Porsche Motorsport Team in Weisach- 400 US cars, trim package

1982 928 Weisiach - 204 US cars, trim package

1982 924 Weisach - haven't found production numbers, trim package

1988 944 Celebration Edition - 500 US models, trim package, in recognition of 100,00 cars off of the Neckarsulm line.

1992 911 RS - 45 US models, performance package

2008 Boxster LE - trim, aero mods, minor engine mods, 250 S models, 250 base models

2014 911 50th Anniversary - trim and performance, 1,963 produced, unclear on US versions

2015 911 PCA Edition - 60 models, trim package

As for value, in the above examples from the '92 RS and earlier, none of the trim editions appear to add much or any value, the RSs bring premiums even the '92. Keep digging though, there are more limited edition Porsches out there.

As for 914 LE, the market is what it is, logic doesn't always prevail, but it doesn't on Wall Street either. If the surf is up, ride it... The question is, is the surf really up? Time will tell.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 4 2015, 09:29 PM
Post #52

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(somd914 @ Apr 4 2015, 11:11 PM) *

And a few more limited edition Porsches from their long history of limited editions:

1973 911 RS - approx 1,600 produced, unclear on the number of US versions, performance package, race homologation

1974 911 RS - haven't found production numbers, performance package, race homologation

1980 911 Weisach Edition to recognize Porsche Motorsport Team in Weisach- 400 US cars, trim package

1982 928 Weisiach - 204 US cars, trim package

1982 924 Weisach - haven't found production numbers, trim package

1988 944 Celebration Edition - 500 US models, trim package, in recognition of 100,00 cars off of the Neckarsulm line.

1992 911 RS - 45 US models, performance package

2008 Boxster LE - trim, aero mods, minor engine mods, 250 S models, 250 base models

2014 911 50th Anniversary - trim and performance, 1,963 produced, unclear on US versions

2015 911 PCA Edition - 60 models, trim package

As for value, in the above examples from the '92 RS and earlier, none of the trim editions appear to add much or any value, the RSs bring premiums even the '92. Keep digging though, there are more limited edition Porsches out there.

As for 914 LE, the market is what it is, logic doesn't always prevail, but it doesn't on Wall Street either. If the surf is up, ride it... The question is, is the surf really up? Time will tell.

The Porsche 911 GT1 is a car that was developed in 1996 for the GT1 class in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. In order to qualify for GT racing, 25 road-going models were built to achieve type homologation. These models developed around 700 hp (522 kW; 710 PS) and did 0–60 mph in 3.3 seconds. The top speed was 235 mph (378 km/h). Both the road and race cars carried the same twin turbocharged engine as used in the 962, and the race car was a match for the McLaren F1 GTRs that were racing at the time. A re-developed version of the 911 GT1 race car was later built, winning outright at the 1998 24 Hours of Le Mans. The car is not really considered to be a real 911[citation needed], as it is derived from the 962 with the 996 911's front section. It was the most powerful and fastest road-going Porsche until the introduction of the 918 Spyder in 2013.

The 911 Carrera Club Sport (CS) (option M637), 340 of which were produced worldwide from August 1987 to September 1989, is a reduced weight version of the standard Carrera that, with engine and suspension modifications, was purpose built for club racing

The 911 Speedster (option M503), a low-roof version of the Cabriolet which was evocative of the Porsche 356 Speedster of the 1950s, was produced in limited numbers (2,104) starting in January 1989 until July 1989 as both a narrow body car and a Turbo-look. The narrow version was produced only 171 times.

+Quote Post
914werke
post Apr 5 2015, 03:43 AM
Post #53

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Apr 5 2015, 04:54 AM
Post #54

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Apr 5 2015, 05:43 AM) *

Methinks you are missing the point.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Apr 5 2015, 05:49 AM
Post #55

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

no stickers or fancy paint needed to make that sale (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
MDG
post Apr 5 2015, 07:36 AM
Post #56

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

To the OP's question, the price is whatever you feel comfortable paying. As with any vintage car, there will always be the cost average that 'the market dictates'... as well as the hyperbole driven prices of people trying to sell 'a super rare model'. If the LE is what you like, go for it... and shop wisely. My opinion is an LE may be slightly higher than an equally equipped 2.0 '74. But, as always, condition and originality will be the most important pricing factor whether it is an LE or not.

The issue people have always had with the '74 LE is there was nothing that really set it apart. The same options were available on any other 2.0 914 of that year (or '73 for that matter). You could choose Mahle's over Fuch's, you could order the appearance group package. You could order one in black or light ivory. Same 2.0 engine, same exhaust, same transmission. Same brakes, same suspension.... and so on. Same interior choices. They did get the initial appearance of the 'LE' front spoiler .... which wasn't actually 'limited' as you could subsequently order the same spoiler from the dealership parts counter if you wanted one AND they continued to use the same spoiler on the new '75 big bumper cars as well ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

What you couldn't get on the others were the special colour combos and decals (although, again, you could order the decals from your dealership's parts counter if you wanted them on your car. Hell, they'd even install them for you.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) ). The factory saved some money by not installing the roll bar vinyl; they spent some extra in painting the wheels, bumpers, rockers & spoilers. The overall paint schemes were lifted directly from the much lauded 911 RS from the previous year. Of course, that 911 was basically a detuned race car for the street with lots of go fast goodies including a brand spankin' new 2.7 engine. Unlike the 914 LE, the RS truly were unique from the production 911's. As noted earlier, the current prices of those 911's are reflective of their rarity and overall wow factor.

Back then many people saw the 914 LE, for whatever reasons, as nothing more than a marketing gimmick by VW/Porsche. Many people see it now in much the way when some owners fervently try to convince prospective buyers of all this 'rarest of the rare' nonsense. Regardless, they are still well optioned, 2.0 914's which make them excellent cars to own and drive.

Buy what you like. Pay what you're comfortable with. Drive the shit out of it.
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Apr 7 2015, 06:03 PM
Post #57

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

Without rumors or second hand stories, what is the highest actual sales price that anyone knows for an LE? Assuming it was a clean title, numbers matching car? I would think if it wasn't numbers matching, an LE isn't much more valuable than any other 914.

And...did it fetch that price because it was an LE or because it was a super clean car. Personally, I have not heard of an LE fetching any huge numbers because it was an LE. A small premium perhaps but nothing that you couldn't get with any other low mileage, numbers matching, restored/preserved 914. Just my .02. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Apr 7 2015, 08:34 PM
Post #58

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Apr 7 2015, 08:03 PM) *

Without rumors or second hand stories, what is the highest actual sales price that anyone knows for an LE? Assuming it was a clean title, numbers matching car? I would think if it wasn't numbers matching, an LE isn't much more valuable than any other 914.

And...did it fetch that price because it was an LE or because it was a super clean car. Personally, I have not heard of an LE fetching any huge numbers because it was an LE. A small premium perhaps but nothing that you couldn't get with any other low mileage, numbers matching, restored/preserved 914. Just my .02. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I've had multiple parties approach me offering me a lot of money for my LE.
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Apr 7 2015, 09:18 PM
Post #59

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Apr 7 2015, 07:34 PM) *

That is my point. People always talk about big numbers on the LE but they never seem to sell for that. I can think of three factory 6's that have sold in the last six months for well over $70k. Surely one LE has sold in the last year and according to earlier statements I read here, the price tag on the LE sale shouldn't be far behind the six.

What was the last big price tag on an LE that was actually sold? If they are so collectible and sought after, it seems like that should be an easy number to find.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 8 2015, 05:32 AM
Post #60

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Apr 7 2015, 11:18 PM) *

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Apr 7 2015, 07:34 PM) *

That is my point. People always talk about big numbers on the LE but they never seem to sell for that. I can think of three factory 6's that have sold in the last six months for well over $70k. Surely one LE has sold in the last year and according to earlier statements I read here, the price tag on the LE sale shouldn't be far behind the six.

What was the last big price tag on an LE that was actually sold? If they are so collectible and sought after, it seems like that should be an easy number to find.

Don't confuse the issue with facts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 11:01 AM