Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

50 Pages V « < 15 16 17 18 19 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project, Great Start, But The Devil Is In The Details!
moparrob
post Oct 29 2017, 04:34 PM
Post #321

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,663
Region Association: None

I'm glad those cables I made 5 years ago actually were the correct length.

Now I can't wait to see what kind of custom center console you come up with to house the handle (and possibly the shifter).
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Oct 29 2017, 05:22 PM
Post #322

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(moparrob @ Oct 29 2017, 03:34 PM) *

I'm glad those cables I made 5 years ago actually were the correct length.

Now I can't wait to see what kind of custom center console you come up with to house the handle (and possibly the shifter).
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Me too on both comments! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Oct 29 2017, 07:16 PM
Post #323

Ok, so here is the Birthday Present for my car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/birthday.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap.gif)

It’s really a “Good News” (and sorta kinda but not really) “Bad News” scenario.
The good news is two fold, I do have a new German windshield installed!
AND I scored a deal on a brand new 914 Rubber repro dash!

The bad news is the order things occurred. That’s it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I bought the windshield and installed it over 2 years ago, June 2015.
Attached Image

I scored what I consider a smokin’ deal on the dash earlier this year in March 2017 that I got from a guy who gave up on his project here locally in my town.
My original dash is cracked but I had just planned to live with it and save the money for other things.

Sure would have been nice to have gotten the dash while the windshield was out as I have heard it is much easier. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

But can’t complain too much, I mean it is a brand new, still in the box, dash from 914 Rubber!
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Nov 1 2017, 08:03 PM
Post #324

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 1 2017, 08:09 PM
Post #325

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Unless you are removing the entire metal sub dash or installing new vinyl and seal in front of the window, having the windshield already installed won't make a difference.

The most important thing when you install the dash is patience. Almost every nut is a challenge so take it one at a time and don't have a time goal to finish. If you get frustrated, take a break.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 1 2017, 09:37 PM
Post #326

QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Nov 1 2017, 07:03 PM) *

Hey whitewinturbo I am ramping up to install my hand throttle from 914 Rubber. In getting ready to do so I sought help through another thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=319072

What a ton of very helpful information I got! So helpful are the folks here on the site. Actually just your prod is pretty darn cool. Thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Also I have been working on the interior sound deadening, vinyl and carpets. This car had a few interesting things in it one of which was the carpet. Not complete and huge heavy black double layer front floor mats.

I was at a swap meet a couple years ago and a guy had a bunch of random charcoal perlon original pieces of carpet I picked up for $20, some nice some not so nice. My goal was to have all all charcoal carpet. I had not spent much time really looking at the pieces I bought back then until this week and I discovered I have the majority of it. So I removed this nasty black piece that was in the front passenger bulk head and my charcoal swap meet piece below.

Attached Image

This is where I am right now on the interior. You'll notice I am using alum thresholds and had been keeping an eye out for those. Stumbled on some for free recently, not perfect but useable and I prefer the alum to the black plastic.
It's coming along slowly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 3 2017, 03:41 PM
Post #327

My 6 Hand Throttle Journey.

I posted a separate thread to gain a wider audience and more input which proved to be very helpful and provided the detail I was looking for. Here is the thread which will have more information than I have here.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=319072

I want to document in my build thread some of the more pertinent information I found most helpful and my final result.

The lever assembly came from 914 Rubber and I thank them for replicating the factory lever assembly.
Attached Image

Pertinent to my install is that I wanted to install this hand throttle AND keep my short shift this of course mad it just a bit more complicated.

A few posts back I also sought help with a separate thread asking for short shift experience, where with a lot of very good input pro and con, I decided to try it (being as I have never actually driven this car) as one suggested, because it could always be taken out later.

The short shift adapter alum casting is about ½” thick needed two modifications. One was to notch the forward end where there was plenty of meat to make room for the hand throttle but I neglected to get a pic of that. The other modification was to drill and tap a hole for the aft hole of the hand throttle assembly base. Then I countersunk the aft hole of the throttle assembly base and put the only metric flat head screw I had into it. Interesting there is a hole in the shifter plate that does not match the hole for the hand throttle?

In process picture
Attached Image

Here is all the stuff that really helped.
The colored sketch from 914 Rubber gives a good overview but not the detail for the “Shark Fin” install.
Attached Image

I found these pics from SixerJ to be most helpful to installing the “some assembly required” “Shark Fin” to the accelerator lever. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image

I also found this one from raynekat helpful of a 914 Rubber fin installed
Attached Image

So here is what I ended up with.
Attached Image

On the back I tacked an extra brace. Probably looks like over kill but I don’t think too many people will be looking and it will never bend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Attached Image

Re-installing the lever with fin was not too bad. But for those of us with transition lenses (trifocals) it is sometimes hard to actually see where you want to. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
There you have it with the throttle rod smack in the middle of the “Shark Fin”
Attached Image

And the finished product that I am quite happy with.
Attached Image

On to the next thing! Thanks everybody! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

+Quote Post
914wrenchin
post Nov 3 2017, 04:11 PM
Post #328

Member No.: 21,569

VERY NICE
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Nov 3 2017, 04:33 PM
Post #329

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Was the front support (locating) bracket for the hand throttle hard to place in the correct place?
Looks like you got the rod end right in the middle of the shark fin.
Does the rod end slide up the shark fin when you engage the hand throttle?
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 3 2017, 06:16 PM
Post #330

QUOTE(raynekat @ Nov 3 2017, 03:33 PM) *

Was the front support (locating) bracket for the hand throttle hard to place in the correct place?

Thanks for asking and I forgot to mention the hole/slot already exists on the tunnel for the front rod support bracket so you do not need to make one. Bonus! It was easy to place the front rod support bracket.

Install the the mechanism in the shifter area first without the front support bracket and rubber end cap. Then place the rod support bracket in from the top opening in the tunnel onto the end of the rod and bring it back and line it up with the slotted hole and secure it with the bolt provided. The support bracket has a locator on it to keep it from tuning and correctly positions the rod vertically as well aiming at the "shark Fin". Just make sure you have the clutch linkage attached because it will block access from the passenger side.

The rod does NOT slide up the shark fin it just pushes the pedal forward as intended. Note there is a rubber tip on the end of the rod.

The cool thing for me is having the short shift plate on there did not really affect the outcome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Best of luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
defianty
post Nov 5 2017, 04:05 AM
Post #331

Member No.: 6,621

Thanks for the info regarding the hand throttle. I plan to add one to my car and wasn't aware of the 'shark fin'. Guess I'll just have to rebuild my pedal cluster again.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 10 2017, 06:50 PM
Post #332

Not much progress lately. Or really it amounts to “little things” are getting done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I finished the sound deadener on the floor and the majority of the carpet.

Reworked one seat track to install my 914 Rubber seat adjuster handle.

Posted a thread looking for pictures and ideas on tank breathers from 6 owners and have been getting some good input.
Love the utter simplicity of some of them.
Here is the thread http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=319486

Started sorting through my seat belt situation, with the help of Larmo63, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) and learned I am a couple of pieces short for full sets of standard 914 seat belts. I believe Dlewis donated them a couple years back and it’s a good start! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
Time to post a WTB.

Hooked the battery up to the chassis yesterday (it’s been about 2 years) and it was motivating to see some lights and stuff actually work. Of course this generated the proverbial electrical “to do” list. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Nov 10 2017, 08:03 PM
Post #333

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

Your front lower snout looks "business."

I like that look. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 11 2017, 06:36 AM
Post #334

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Yup, looks very nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
flmont
post Nov 11 2017, 11:49 AM
Post #335

Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

where did you find the front lower valence,..was it pre cut like that,.?? TIA Frank
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 11 2017, 12:07 PM
Post #336

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

It is a standard 914-6 GT front valance all the usual suspects carry them.

GT Racings

+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 11 2017, 01:55 PM
Post #337

QUOTE(flmont @ Nov 11 2017, 09:49 AM) *

where did you find the front lower valence,..was it pre cut like that,.?? TIA Frank

The valance actually came with the project car I bought so I really don't know who made it.

The trick was mating up the fiberglass lower valance to my customized front bumper because the valance was designed to mate up with the corresponding fiberglass bumper that it came with (since sold).

Know a metal magician who performed the work on the bumper, and it wasn't the greatest to start with. He actually matched the steel bumper to the valance perfectly.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

I see 914forme has a suggestion and I am sure there are others who make them.
Best of luck to you!
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Nov 11 2017, 02:07 PM
Post #338

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(raynekat @ Nov 4 2017, 11:33 AM) *

Its not too hard ,I think I only drilled one hole and bolted it on ,you can then move it up and down a little to suit,my guide bracket would appear to be a little shorter than Jims one as I had to turn the "fin " a bit further upwards to centre the rod.
Certainly easier if you have a unit ready to go but I enjoyed making mine.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) that front view is the business,looks really sharp,love the comment about the electrics Jim made SO true in my situation also,I don't run my car that often and there's always something ,I feel for guys with crappy/butchered looms lucky for me mines unmolested.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 11 2017, 04:29 PM
Post #339

QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 11 2017, 12:07 PM) *

QUOTE(raynekat @ Nov 4 2017, 11:33 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) that front view is the business,looks really sharp,love the comment about the electrics Jim made SO true in my situation also,I don't run my car that often and there's always something ,I feel for guys with crappy/butchered looms lucky for me mines unmolested.

Thanks porschetub and also to Larmo63 and Cairo94507 for comments on "business" snout. Spending most of my time at the other end for months and recently moving to the interior I haven't really had much of a chance to see it with the front butted right up to the garage door. I love the look.

As for the wiring mine has been a bit more than molested I'm afraid. porscehtub you are lucky! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Here is one I am fixing today. Picture does not do it justice though as you cannot see to the right of that primo splice there were only 2 strands left hidden under crappy old electrical tape. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) Going to be fun to fix up by the hood release handle! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Nov 11 2017, 05:35 PM
Post #340

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Oh dear,I'am into solder and heatshrink not much more permanent....if you can get in there ? otherwise use duraseal heatshink connectors,they are a total sealed connection and there is no oxidization of the wire.
Good luck...when are you going to fire the beast ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) .
+Quote Post

50 Pages V « < 15 16 17 18 19 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:21 AM