Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Outlaw 914s, Show your "Outlaw" rides
dhm
post Aug 22 2015, 03:04 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,853
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Aug 22 2015, 04:18 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 18,986
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 22 2015, 09:30 AM) *

I would argue that to be an outlaw, you cannot appeal to everyone. The car must be different and not follow traditional customization trends. A customized car is not necessarily a outlaw; it's custom or hot rodded or sleeper. I never decided my car was an outlaw, someone else coined it.

It's pretty clear that everyone has a different opinion of what makes an "outlaw," but I think this sums it up pretty well in my opinion. The cars in this thread all look great, but IMHO only a few are "outlaws"
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 22 2015, 04:59 PM
Post #63

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Aug 22 2015, 05:33 PM
Post #64

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 22 2015, 07:30 AM) *

I would argue that to be an outlaw, you cannot appeal to everyone. The car must be different and not follow traditional customization trends. A customized car is not necessarily a outlaw; it's custom or hot rodded or sleeper. I never decided my car was an outlaw, someone else coined it.

If a typical 911 owner likes your car, it most likely is not an outlaw... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

This car is on the fence. In a word, it's awesome! but it's borderline outlaw. This car just appeals to the masses, with the exception of the chop top. Feed back has shown that not everyone likes the chopped roof line. Without the chop, it's just a GT clone that is well done.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com-11800-1440180096.1.jpg)

I don't know Mike, I'm not sure I really agree with that. There are details that are polarizing in the extreme. For example, in addition to the chop top that makes the car unsuitable to anyone over about 5'-8" I would argue that the suede dash in that car is butt ugly. In fact most of the interior is not to my liking. Is it an outlaw? Oh yeah, it's an outlaw. If I had the money would I buy it? In a heartbeat.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 22 2015, 07:16 PM
Post #65

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Mike I think I need to disagree with you. If we look at the 356 community which is where the term outlaw comes from in the porsche community it references cars that differ from stock in an obvious fashion.

But if we look at the cars you can see they are typically race car ish looking with monern tires upgrades suspension and brakes and larger motors.

Most of the 356s out there are almost 100% stock as thats is how the owners like them and they retain their highest value there. However most of the 914s are obviously modified.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 22 2015, 08:08 PM
Post #66

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

I'm not saying the black car isn't awesome! I feel it's more of a hot rod than an outlaw. Everything on this car is top dollar and extremely nice. way too nice. I did post it in the Outlaw Group on FB but I'm on the fence.

Dave, I would buy this car in a heart beat too! And drive the shit out of it.

In many ways it does fit the outlaw theme but the purists also like it. My favorite outlaws are the cars that the purists can't stand. But I think this leans toward full custom hot rod more than outlaw.

The term outlaw is open for interpretation; unless tha car is used in a crime... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 22 2015, 08:20 PM
Post #67

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

There is a lot of speculation about what makes a 914 an outlaw car. Mere body changes I wouldn't think would do it as there are many cars with 916 styling. The car would have to be more than 916 styling. Outlaw could be cars with engine swaps, non Porsche engines. We all seem to like cars with swaps so there is nothing really offensive about that within the group here. Unlike the 365 crowd that seen to think any mod to a 356 is sacrilege.

A 911-6 swap is common and there are many out there. It would have to be more than a straight 6 swap. Something like a blown or turbo'd car with a 6. I think the cars would have to be driven. And not just 100 miles. A proven car driven hard long distance without issue. A reliable car. A real bad ass, iron butt road warrior.

Here's where my head is at. I don't see a real "group of 914 outlaws" Anyone have information to the contrary?

I think there should be an official group formed. A group of guys and cars that have actually driven their outlaw cars long distances. The core group should have to nominate new members and they should have to prove their worth with a long distance run.

Anyone up to the challenge? Who wants to set the rules for what is a "real" outlaw car and what is the common and accepted engine swap body mod/ conversion.

Are we ready for that or should we wait until 914's become unobtainium and it becomes offensive to modify them?
+Quote Post
Wdunster
post Aug 22 2015, 09:16 PM
Post #68

Panel beater

Member No.: 17,469
Region Association: South East States

As long as it doesn't turn into the "who spent the most" on the mods kinda deal. I built mine from an abandoned 4 cyl car with weeds growing through it. Built to satisfy me and only me on a limited budget. I personally feel an outlaw car should be considered a vehicle modified from its original configuration to enhance its performance and drivability yet keeping with the "original look" of the car. I agree they should be real drivers not occasional around the block cars. "Just say'n"
+Quote Post
phillstek
post Aug 22 2015, 10:00 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 11,741

Interesting topic and great to see all the differing views.

Weirdly enough I went to along to a PCNSW event yesterday where the concourse judges were explaining and demonstrating what category a car presented at their concours would fall into.

For a bit of fun I showed them my car and it was their opinion that it was without doubt an ‘outlaw’.

My spin is: if it’s heavily modified/personalised in anyway, it’s an outlaw. 4,6,8 or whatever, it doesn’t matter. Also agree the car has to be driven hard on a regular basis and it doesn’t have to be but can be, immaculately presented.

+Quote Post
eeyore
post Aug 22 2015, 10:19 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 1,533

I think it is hard to identify any specific 914s as outlaw, because by their very existence within Porschedom, all 914s are outlaws.

There are very few 914 purists. And they certainly are not a majority to establish bounds of acceptability. It is awfully hard to rebel against conformity when non-conformity is what has drawn people to the car, and kept the car affordable (ish).

+Quote Post
Tbrown4x4
post Aug 22 2015, 10:37 PM
Post #71

Member No.: 17,338

I'm pretty new here and to 914's, but I quickly sensed the disdain for my little car from the taildragger crowd. I don't really mind, and I kind of understand their position. I tend to agree that this certainly qualifies the 914 as "outlaw" to the 911 people and I love it. Our group has the freedom to build these as they see fit, (and the more radical they turn out, the better we like it) while still appreciating a beautiful original car for what it is too.

+Quote Post
Rand
post Aug 23 2015, 12:37 AM
Post #72

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

If you have to ask if your car is an outlaw, it is not.

So many beautiful cars have been posted on this thread that ask. And I love them all.

Sorry, but if it looks like a narrow body on the outside, and all the awesomeness isn't screaming in your face, it cannot be an outlaw. It might be my favorite build of all!!! I love sleepers!!!

But an outlaw screams it at first glance. More like catches you at the corner of your eye and gives you whiplash to take another look. It doesn't beg or wonder to ask if it is. There is no question. At first glance, you KNOW.

Let's not smudge the lines here anymore.

Outlaw is badass. It is it's own language. And no pretender can fit in.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Aug 23 2015, 01:35 AM
Post #73

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

I always like my cars to speak of my personal style, probably the reason I sketch then proceed to hands on building. As far as bodywork, engine +trans, I will work with these craftsmen throughout the project. I don't know if my work is outlaw, but just coming from the need for speed and then creating it on my vehicle.
Then there's the first cut into metal, you need to be an outlaw to start cutting on your perfectly good car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Work started on this build in 1988.This pic from 1995, I've already got the firewall shaped for the 935 horizontal fan housing and its accompanying top-right mounted alternator.
The alternator pulley enters the cabin by 1", so a custom cover plate was shaped as well. 930 fuel distributor is mounted to the battery tray. The trunk cutting is for intercooler tubing and the throttle body- to- plenum area.The flat aluminum plate is a bracket for the catch can. Attached Image
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Aug 23 2015, 02:01 AM
Post #74

Advanced Member

Looking like a bit of an outlaw here (1989, old shop #2 with hot tin roof !) mocking up for the Spearco intercooler, which I kicked up out of the trunk bodywork into the airflow...thereby eliminating fans, relays, switches. The intercooler pulls a lot of heat out of those 2 charge-pipes. Note the trunk assist hydraulic lifts, taken off of a vw rabbit. Today Carrera gt's, 918's and other mega exotics all strut their stuff popping exhaust pipes, plenums out of the upper bodywork.
Supercar outlaws? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)Attached Image
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Aug 23 2015, 02:47 AM
Post #75

Advanced Member

New Old Stock German gt fenders I bought in the '70s, installed in 1989.
The owner of Coachworks had already built several gt's, but he said that my build with the hole in the trunk was some kind of half-breed, hot rod outlaw 914. His partner called it a fast VW ! He also strengthened the floppy trunk that I had cut open. After it was painted we roped the doors shut, put it on a flatbed and I took it home for assembly.
The car made the cover of European Car in 1995.Attached Image
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Aug 23 2015, 03:12 AM
Post #76

Advanced Member

Another fun day in 1996, with the 914 hotrod was showing it at a prestigious Beverly Hills car show. Nothing but 6 figure cars there, and classic Woodys from back in the day. It was accepted well, except for one trophy wife that walked by and I heard her comment to her husband, "You know dear...someone brought the cheapest car here today, that little black one ". So after the judges came by for European Street Modified, I took 3rd against all sorts of Ferraris, MBZ, Maseratis, Jags and 911s.
That's Mattylite on the detailing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Attached Image
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Aug 23 2015, 03:18 AM
Post #77

Advanced Member

...last one
As far as outlaws go, it does have a wing off of a Hurst Olds, the heart of a 935 (tuned for street 98 oct), an 8 point roll cage, but might just be a shiny hotrod 6 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
The green car reflection on the door is a Maserati Indy.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 23 2015, 06:35 AM
Post #78

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Aug 22 2015, 09:37 PM) *

I'm pretty new here and to 914's, but I quickly sensed the disdain for my little car from the taildragger crowd. I don't really mind, and I kind of understand their position. I tend to agree that this certainly qualifies the 914 as "outlaw" to the 911 people and I love it. Our group has the freedom to build these as they see fit, (and the more radical they turn out, the better we like it) while still appreciating a beautiful original car for what it is too.

I've found that drivers appreciate the 914, and the checkbook wine elitists don't. That's why when I was in a 993 daily, I'd go to PCA events and tell people I drove a 914. Weeded out the smart people. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 23 2015, 06:40 AM
Post #79

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Marty your car is friggin' awesome. It needs its own category.
+Quote Post
LeftCoastErik
post Aug 23 2015, 08:19 AM
Post #80

BADPNNY

Member No.: 18,555

Maybe mine? Injected Buick, Boxter Brakes, 911 suspension, 17"Fuchs, sticky tires, custom gauges and lightweight bodywork

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

19 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 05:43 PM