Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Outlaw 914s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
stevegm
Since we all know that there are some awesome "Outlaw 914s" represented on 914world, I thought it might be cool to start a thread. Show us your "Outlaw" rides.
falcor75
so....first question...what makes an "outlaw 914?" ?
stevegm
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Aug 21 2015, 12:19 PM) *

I don't know. That was one of the reasons I posted the thread - to see what you all consider an "outlaw." Emory Motorsports has been doing "Outlaw" Porsches since the 80s. There's are often sleepers. Magnus clearly has a different style than that. I would define an outlaw as a street-legal race car. Full performance, within the boundary of still needing to be street legal. Maybe someone eel will weigh in with a definition.
falcor75
IPB Image

Well I'll volonteer mine for judging then. It's a '74 2.0 ex California car now living with me in Sweden.
It's been fully torn down and rebuilt over the last 2½ years. For me its like trying to make a 914 inspired by my favorite Porsche,
the 964 RS, by loosing a bit of weight, firming up the suspension, better brakes and adding a touch more hp while retaining
most of the original looks.

Chassis has been reinforced, new suspension bushings, new shocks, five bolt conversion, front and rear trunk lids and bumpers in fibre glass, engine gets ITB's
and modern fuel injection as a first stage while later building a stroker engine aiming for 150hp.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Mueller
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Aug 21 2015, 09:19 AM) *

Usually tasteful modifications* to a nice car that irk purists smile.gif

My opinion:

Stock width GT flares are not "outlaw"

GT flares that are a few inches wider than stock is "outlaw"

Switching over to European markers are not "outlaw"

Adding RS tail lights is "outlaw"

google "356 outlaw" most that come up right away is what I'd consider outlaw, not sure I've seen too many 914s that fill the bill.

stevegm
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 21 2015, 01:31 PM) *

My opinion:

google "356 outlaw" most that come up right away is what I'd consider outlaw, not sure I've seen too many 914s that fill the bill.

So what about a narrow body?

RS Tailights on a 914. Pictures?
whitetwinturbo
w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif

...............yeah, not so much stock anymore.....could be an "outlaw" confused24.gif and now being worked on in thread "There Goes The Neighborhood".

Click to view attachment
914outlaw
Some on Pinterest:
https://www.pinterest.com/gerhard_hillman/p...che-914-outlaw/

This one is one my favorites.

IPB Image
Mueller
QUOTE(stevegm @ Aug 21 2015, 10:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 21 2015, 01:31 PM) *

My opinion:

So what about a narrow body? Possible?

RS Tailights on a 914. Pictures?

I see no reason a narrow bodied car cannot be an outlaw...I guess I meant a GT clone/replica car isn't really an outlaw in my book unless modified
Mueller
QUOTE(dpires914 @ Aug 21 2015, 11:01 AM) *

Some on Pinterest:

IPB Image

Perfect example of an Outlaw!
stugray
QUOTE(stevegm @ Aug 21 2015, 10:22 AM) *

I would define an outlaw as a street-legal race car. Full performance, within the boundary of still needing to be street legal. Maybe someone eel will weigh in with a definition.

Then maybe this counts?
IPB Image

It is "borderline" street legal.
It has brake lights, insurance, & tags. - That's it.
whitetwinturbo
Greenie Meenie piratenanner.gif
tomrev
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 21 2015, 10:06 AM) *

QUOTE(dpires914 @ Aug 21 2015, 11:01 AM) *

Some on Pinterest:

IPB Image

Perfect example of an Outlaw!
I second this! But I do wonder how anyone fits under the chopped top with any comfort!

damesandhotrods
I don’t know if 914/4s are collectible enough to be an outlaw. The big point of the 356 outlaw movement is that owners are seriously jeopardizing the investment value of their cars, and then spending large amounts of money to modify them.

To be an outlaw in the 911 world means you would be joining the R Gruppe. And R Gruppe has a lot of parallels to the DKP VW Club. Most of the R Gruppe cars would not be that hard to return to stock, unlike the 356 outlaw crowd.

To be an outlaw in the 914 world, you would probably have to start with a /6. Unlike 356s, and Long Hood 911s most of the Porsche world doesn’t really care what you do to a /4, weather it is a Chevy V8, Subaru, or flares that would make a 70s IMSA fan envious…
mikedsilva
[img]http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/matsgarage.com-15176-14

IPB Image

IPB Image
[/quote]

amazingly clean car.. simply wow!
gereed75
I think that the outlaw definition is more along the lines of "concours correctness be dammed, here is my quick, politically incorrect, boy racer hotrod".

I don't think the car's value is that relevant. It is just co-incidence that the R Gruppe guys cars are up in price. 356 outlaws were in existence long before 356's became super valuable. Hot rod outlaws from the 40's were not relevant to price, nor were "bobber" bikes, but I would call them all prototypical "outlaws".

This is a cool car by the way that came up in that pinterest link.... http://porsche914.fr-bb.com/t2174-porsche-...rs-presentation .....Don't love the graphics but nice teener and fairly "outlaw".

Andyrew
There is a facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/porsche914outlaw/

IPB Image
Here is my outlaw smile.gif
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=114780
d914
not finished does that count?

2.0 liter turbo 300hp suby
rebel racing suspension pieces
Racer Chris suspension and chassis pieces
engman pieces
Stock car rear shocks on hiem joints and mono balls
9/12' flares
louvers in front hood
corvette seats
olds 88 mirrors
Honda shifter and clutch master
celica radiator
water to air intercooler
led rear lights
Digidash dash....

I've colored outside the lines as much as I could..

Click to view attachment

old pic, rest are on phone
john77
I think what I really like about the 914 crowd is that they don't obsess over things like whether or not their car is an 'outlaw.' It's either 'on jackstands' or it's not. biggrin.gif
matthepcat
Mike has this set-up on social media:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/porsche914outlaw/

Chris914n6
Outlaw would be anything anti-purist. Non Stock parts and customizing for a performance gain that is borderline legal. Also think Hotrodding on a low budget.
Larmo63
I have a 911 engine going into this mess….

Click to view attachment
not outlaw?
nine11speedster
This Outlaw?
sb914
I like bellis car.outlaw of all outlaws imo wub.gif Click to view attachment
MoveQik
Mine has been called a sleeper. I guess I'm the opposite of Outlaw? :-)
xperu
QUOTE(dpires914 @ Aug 21 2015, 01:01 PM) *

Some on Pinterest:

IPB Image

You know, as nice as so many 914's are in the forum; this is my favorite of all. The look is totally bad ass and the ultimate out law 914. If I had the skill and money, I would tray to capture this look. aktion035.gif
matthepcat
You don't needs skills. Just money:

http://www.canepacollection.com/detail-197...d-13484378.html

porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 22 2015, 10:04 AM) *

I have a 911 engine going into this mess….

Click to view attachment
not outlaw?

That to me is an outlaw as it isn't conventional....show me another on here that looks the same,nice job,gets my vote biggrin.gif .
JmuRiz
I agree, my kind of car...skinny fenders with a 911 engine conversion with other goodies.
Very RGruppe to me.
DBCooper
Yeah, I'm not seeing a Porsche six as being "outlaw". I've been told a number of times that a P6 is a "proper" engine, unlike my turbo Subaru. So to be an outlaw I think you'd need quite a lot more than that, and they'd need to be "improper" modifications, whatever the hell that is. I have to admit I'm a little vague on what's "proper", but whatever it is an outlaw wouldn't be that.

Johny Blackstain
Slightly off topic, here's a link to an "outlaw" 356 w/ a 3.0 911 engine in it-

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/1343-P...at%206-Cylinder

What an outlaw is has to be a tough question.
matthepcat
to each their own ^^ even though I tend to agree with DBCOOPER.. I like them more edgy and different.

The 356 above in the link I would call a sleeper.
Mike Bellis
OK, here's mine.

I did not think of it as an outlaw until a fellow Porschphile called it such. Then I figured he was right! Far from pure but way more fun... That was the motivation to start the facebook group. There are many like me that can't leave well enough alone... evilgrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Near the Rock Store on Muholland
Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
I don't know; since 914's came w/ 5 speeds & either 4 or 6 cyl. air cooled engines, I would think anything less than 4 or more than 6 cyl. would be an outlaw. Also, water cooled would be an outlaw. By that same thinking anything under or over 5 speeds would also have to be considered. This however, is just my thinking. I don't consider my wanna be a 916 an outlaw.
JeffBowlsby
I think "outlaw" connotes more of an attitude or a spirit than a particular drivetrain selection. An outlaw has to look like its a the stock car...mostly...but be subtly or not so subtly different. It can look radical, like Mike Bellis' or can look tame like the green 356/911, but either way, it has to be radically different from stock in the coolest of ways. It must be innovative, be well crafted and an extreme performance monster. Definitely not your grandfathers Porsche.

Is Ricks 918-S an outlaw? How about Chappies? or Marty's?

I think so...

I'd like to see a 914 with tubbed rear wheels, completely de-trimmed, dechromed, pop-out doors and a tilt-rear end.
stevegm
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 21 2015, 10:08 PM) *

I think "outlaw" connotes more of an attitude or a spirit than a particular drivetrain selection.

agree.gif
trojanhorsepower
I would judge an outlaw, as a car with major addendum and/or disassociation gratia performance, with out due regard for the quality of execution....
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Aug 21 2015, 10:34 PM) *

I would judge an outlaw, as a car with major addendum and/or disassociation gratia performance, with out due regard for the quality of execution....

Sounds like a lawyers definition biggrin.gif
Bruce Hinds
QUOTE(dpires914 @ Aug 21 2015, 10:01 AM) *

Some on Pinterest:

IPB Image

Now THAT'S an outlaw!
arkitect
Click to view attachment

Would this be an outlaw? Narrow body but very clean v8 engine transplant.

Dave

mgp4591
QUOTE(arkitect @ Aug 21 2015, 11:46 PM) *

[attachment 581]

Would this be an outlaw? Narrow body but very clean v8 engine transplant.

Dave

Absolutely! Is that the only thing different from stock on your car? I would think that additions made to the car that aren't just a stock upgrade but enhance performance without degrading other aspects of the car qualify as outlaw. If the engine took handling or braking performance away from stock, that would not add to the overall balance of the car- I think that's the difference. If your changes add to the performance and keep the car balanced as much as possible, that would be an outlaw. Show us what else you've done to the car that helps the V8 work better in that platform. Great looking car too- a V8 sleeper is a great surprise to alot of people I'm sure!
MoveQik
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 21 2015, 07:08 PM) *

I think "outlaw" connotes more of an attitude or a spirit than a particular drivetrain selection. An outlaw has to look like its a the stock car...mostly...but be subtly or not so subtly different. It can look radical, like Mike Bellis' or can look tame like the green 356/911, but either way, it has to be radically different from stock in the coolest of ways. It must be innovative, be well crafted and an extreme performance monster. Definitely not your grandfathers Porsche.

Crap....now I'm maybe not a sleeper but an outlaw again? I just don't know.... laugh.gif

Not stock:
Rear fenders cut and stretched 2 inches
Cowl vents deleted
Side markers deleted
Antenna deleted
Hood badge deleted
Windshield sprayers deleted
Radio, air controls and ashtray deleted
Backdated bumpers

911 front suspension and brakes
911 Carrera 3.2 motor
GT inspired interior

16x8 & 16x7" wheels

Did I mention the LE spoiler? That makes the car pretty much priceless.

Countlesss other little mods but still looks VERY tame to the casual observer.
Larmo63
Mike, we voted…….you're officially Outlaw beerchug.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 21 2015, 11:51 PM) *

Mike, we voted…….you're officially Outlaw beerchug.gif

It's because I am from AZ, isn't it? We get a bad rap out here!!
Geezer914
What do you think?Click to view attachment
carr914
Click to view attachment
carr914
Click to view attachment
trojanhorsepower
[/quote]
Sounds like a lawyers definition biggrin.gif
[/quote]

No lawyers here smile.gif Just a poor attempt to riff on the outlaw theme.
1stworks
My outlaw.

72 body
5.3 lsx all aluminum ls1 intake.
Boxster S 6 speed
Complete chassis stiffening kit
Adj front sway rear sway
Bilstein
RS interior,no hvac glove box or key
Sparco race seats

IPB Image

Wdunster
Not sure if little ugly qualifies. 2.4 6cyl factory engine mounts,oil tank. 225/50/16 rear tires with boxter wheels, Bigger brakes and a lot more smiles from the driver. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.