Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Outlaw 914s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 23 2015, 07:25 AM) *

Marty, your car is badass! I think it was 2005 WCR? I had the pleasure of taking in some of the details. I agree with Rand. Outlaw is in your face, catch your eye and keeps your attention. There is no subtleness about it. When you look at it you know.

I do remember WCR 2005, Howard (r.i.p.) and 914world put on a blast at the old Paramount Ranch Raceway complete with the In+Out Hamburger
18 wheeler chowtime.gif
I didn't get a chance to meet you that day...I was checking out all of the cars as well biggrin.gif
Your opinions here on world are well respected by me, and I'm honored that you dig my ride .
So now let's all get in the think tank and come up with a good catch phrase for our trick little panzers !
Marty
porschecb
Green grass and high tides forever! hide.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(thieuster @ Aug 23 2015, 09:49 AM) *

A nice decal / shield of some sort with something like 'E Gruppe' (just to quote a suggestion), or 'M Gruppe' as in 'Mittelmotor' or 'modded / modified / modifiziert'. That will give it some real look and feel. But please, please, NOT with the use of the old German fonts. I prefer early 70s fonts!

Somewhere halfway down this page a few links with a lot of inspiration! Fonts Porsche posters

Menno

I also like M Gruppe smile.gif
poorsche914

A nice decal / shield of some sort with something like 'E Gruppe' (just to quote a suggestion), or 'M Gruppe' as in 'Mittelmotor' or 'modded / modified / modifiziert'. That will give it some real look and feel. But please, please, NOT with the use of the old German fonts. I prefer early 70s fonts!

Menno

Click to view attachment

driving.gif
JeffBowlsby
We should be 1000% opposed to a special 'gruppe', special stickers, special name , special identity unless its very informal, because its exclusionary, and the opposite of what 914s are about.

What next, a separate website, special jacket, special tattooes, secret handshake known only to those that belong?
KELTY360
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 23 2015, 07:56 PM) *

We should be 1000% opposed to a special 'gruppe', special stickers, special name , special identity unless its very informal, because its exclusionary, and the opposite of what 914s are about.

What next, a separate website, special jacket, special tattooes, secret handshake known only to those that belong?

agree.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 23 2015, 07:56 PM) *

Or have no rules and let everybody in. smile.gif
Mike Bellis
FO9O Gruppe

(Fuck Off 911 Owner) evilgrin.gif
EdwardBlume
The secret handshake could be pulling your pockets out showing that their empty.
euro911
I think the fad of walking around with one's pants pockets pulled out already passed several years ago confused24.gif
mgp4591
I thought the term NARP kinda summed it up- coined by others but taken up seriously by modded 914 owners as well as our purist brethren. I like it because it says it all.
Chris Pincetich
Maybe you can only call a 914 an "outlaw" if it has 356 fenders and bodywork? laugh.gif

Most 914 projects end up being a modernization on the platform, like Mike B's and many others: modern lights, modern engine swap (or modern EFI), nice sound system, improved interior....now what's that called? confused24.gif

"Hot rod" sounds too american muscle car or t-bucket, any "gruppe" sounds like a clique of euro dudes, and "custom" is too boring....so... shades.gif

I used to call my 914 a "cafe racer", like the moto term, because it was low, light, stripped down, loud, a weekend warrior, and fun! beerchug.gif

Is Erik's 914 primer? More pics! It has that unique modern/ratrod/outlaw vibe laugh.gif
smoke.gif
euro911
I guess people can call them whatever they want. Bottom line: they're a blast to drive, especially through the twisties driving.gif

biggrin.gif
LeftCoastErik
Mine is wrapped in Matte Chocolate Brown Metallic. Has some copper flake in it. Big 'ol bumper sticker. Its practical too, since all the lightweight panels would likely stress crack paint in about 5 minutes.. The vinyl keeps it all together.
frankiec@outrageous.net
If I'm not mistaken the start of the tread says "show us your rides" but all we're mostly getting is opinions on what "outlaw" means. Since defining outlaw will be subjective,Click to view attachment how about some pics. Here's my 3.2 sleeper as we used to say when building hot rods. Is this and outlaw??? I'm sure some will say no and some say yes so how about showing your cars.
frankiec@outrageous.net
If I'm not mistaken the start of the tread says "show us your rides" but all we're mostly getting is opinions on what "outlaw" means. Since defining outlaw will be subjective,Click to view attachment how about some pics. Here's my 3.2 sleeper as we used to say when building hot rods. Is this and outlaw??? I'm sure some will say no and some say yes so how about showing your cars.
frankiec@outrageous.net
Sorry, couldn't upload pic. Will do so when I figure out what I'm doing wrong.
thieuster
QUOTE(frankiec@outrageous.net @ Aug 24 2015, 06:36 PM) *

If I'm not mistaken the start of the tread says "show us your rides" but all we're mostly getting is opinions on what "outlaw" means. Since defining outlaw will be subjective,Click to view attachment how about some pics. ...

agree.gif
naro914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 23 2015, 04:41 PM) *

In the 914 world, the purists are largely a minority who don't tend to speak out for fear of ridicule. So maybe, in our world, the correct, concurs cars are really the outlaws and their owners are the true noncomformists.

I was kinda thinking along these lines as I read through this thread....

A VAST majority of the 914's out there have been modified in some way or another...either a different engine, 5 lug conversion, GT, wider wheels, -6 clone, Suby/V8, etc. etc. etc... Yes, there are still a bunch of bone stock 914's out there, but my guess is they are the minority...

356 owners see stock and preservation of stock as the 'right' thing to do, and modifying as blasphemous....hence "Outlaw"

R-Gruppe is just a performance hot-rodded early 911...a group dreamed up by one guy and 'membership' into the group by some super secret handshake or something...

914 owners modify at will for personal satisfaction, with no regard to originality or to be part of a 'club'. We just do it because we want to and we can....

We have two highly modified 914's. Would I call them "Outlaw?" Absolutely not...

But here''s a couple gratuitous pictures anyway. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

naro914
double post...dunno how??...
eeyore
QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 24 2015, 09:04 AM) *

R-Gruppe is just a performance hot-rodded early 911...a group dreamed up by one guy and 'membership' into the group by some super secret handshake or something...
Click to view attachment

My boss (a bit of an outlaw himself) got into the R-Gruppe with a Euro-spec '73 911 S. When he introduced himself at a group meeting he explained "I learned to paint cars really fast because I was raised by a band of gypsies and they needed to change colors on the hot cars before the cops could figure it out."

Crickets. Turd in punch bowl.
Maltese Falcon
I think I'm suffering from double vision with Naro's double post..but I have to agree with Bob and others ; let's keep our 914world group here non-secret handshake, non-attitude, non-nose in the air. If you need to be an outlaw there is a well known site where you can buy a $5.00 packet of outlaw stickers+patches.
Most of us here are renaissance craftsmen/craftswomen that express our cars in many ways. That is the nature of the rolling art that we drive, our own expressions.
We already have an awesome 914world badge, but if someone here wants to design and offer badges for different genres of the 914 builds, I'd say go for it !
Marty
euro911
QUOTE(frankiec@outrageous.net @ Aug 24 2015, 09:36 AM) *

In the File Attachment section, after you 'Browse' and 'Add This Attachment', make sure to click the 'Add into Post' button.

Click to view attachment
Stacks914
Wow Some sweet rides!!!!
Larmo63
Mike D and I came up with a name at Bruce's swap meet………. We would do it in the same font as the R Gruppe guys, but we're the " F Truppe !!!! "

Somehow, it needs to have a human hand in there somewhere too, flipping the bird.

bootyshake.gif
euro911
F Truppe ... laugh.gif
naro914

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K4BvF_sb3Y
naro914
I think the title here says everything about 914 ownership...don't you think?

http://www.theawl.com/2013/01/the-joys-and...ment-of-f-troop
Larmo63
I'm going to do it. We need to flip the finger a bit to the 911 snobs, don't you think?
scotty b
an outlaw 914 is a bone stock metallic gold 1.8 mellow.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 24 2015, 06:55 PM) *

an outlaw 914 is a bone stock metallic gold 1.8 mellow.gif

agree.gif beer.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 24 2015, 09:55 PM) *

an outlaw 914 is a 944 mellow.gif

Fixed
Maltese Falcon
Even Jay "Outlawed" his '29 Dusey laugh.gif
He was a a local C+C this Sunday and was just shaking down the drivetrain; body panels not ready yet.
MartyClick to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Another view of Jay's Dusenberg...outlaw style, but not for long.
This Cars+Coffee goes off each Sunday, 7am at Westfields Topanga Canyon blvd.Click to view attachment
lonewolfe
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Aug 21 2015, 11:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 21 2015, 07:08 PM) *

I think "outlaw" connotes more of an attitude or a spirit than a particular drivetrain selection. An outlaw has to look like its a the stock car...mostly...but be subtly or not so subtly different. It can look radical, like Mike Bellis' or can look tame like the green 356/911, but either way, it has to be radically different from stock in the coolest of ways. It must be innovative, be well crafted and an extreme performance monster. Definitely not your grandfathers Porsche.

Crap....now I'm maybe not a sleeper but an outlaw again? I just don't know.... laugh.gif

Not stock:
Rear fenders cut and stretched 2 inches
Cowl vents deleted
Side markers deleted
Antenna deleted
Hood badge deleted
Windshield sprayers deleted
Radio, air controls and ashtray deleted

Perfectly beautiful car!!!! Great job!
Backdated bumpers

911 front suspension and brakes
911 Carrera 3.2 motor
GT inspired interior

16x8 & 16x7" wheels

Did I mention the LE spoiler? That makes the car pretty much priceless.

Countlesss other little mods but still looks VERY tame to the casual observer.

lonewolfe
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Aug 22 2015, 02:45 AM) *

What do you think?Click to view attachment

Sweet car Geezer! I love the duck tail spoiler! I want one of those decklids for mine!
lonewolfe
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Aug 22 2015, 02:45 AM) *

What do you think?Click to view attachment

Sweet car Geezer! I love the duck tail spoiler! I want one of those decklids for mine!
lonewolfe
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Aug 23 2015, 07:35 PM) *

Menno

Click to view attachment

driving.gif

I love it Menno! Sehr gut!!!
Racing916
Here is a picture of my VW racing against "Porsches"

Bills914-4
Here's a few pic's of my , 2.8 twinpluged , dry sumped, megasquirt injected, crank fired,
outlawed, hot rodded 914-4 , with a/c ,heat & defrost biggrin.gif , Bill D.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mepstein
I thought an outlaw 914 is one that's not on jackstands.
MJHanna
QUOTE(WLD419 @ Aug 26 2015, 05:16 AM) *

Here's a few pic's of my , 2.8 twinpluged , dry sumped, megasquirt injected, crank fired,
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Vey nice car so in reading all of this thread is your car more a sleeper than an outlaw? Maybe its both??? I like sleepers. Let them figure out what left them in the dust. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif evilgrin.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(WLD419 @ Aug 26 2015, 03:16 AM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Nice...very Outlaw!

Need a link to your engine or car build thread!

Maltese Falcon
Bill D...good fit of the AA clear rear lenses . Took us about 12 hours including breaking+ re-setting one of the studded posts in the lens.
The 911 style fan housing is trick, looks like a F-A-T performance item ?
One bad outlaw Type4 4sure pray.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 24 2015, 04:53 PM) *

Mike D and I came up with a name at Bruce's swap meet………. We would do it in the same font as the R Gruppe guys, but we're the " F Truppe !!!! "

Somehow, it needs to have a human hand in there somewhere too, flipping the bird.

bootyshake.gif

beerchug.gif Classic!
euro911
What is the hose/tubing running around the engine grille for? ... oil cooling?

IPB Image
Bills914-4
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 26 2015, 06:25 PM) *

What is the hose/tubing running around the engine grille for? ... oil cooling?

IPB Image

It's an economy fire suppression system smile.gif , I also carry a fire extinguisher in the cabin of the car , Bill D.

http://jogrusa.com/products/blazecut-fire-suppression-system

mgp4591
Nice steering wheel! Where did you pick that up from? popcorn[1].gif
okieflyr
This one has a few clues that things may not be stock, but you don't know it has twenty valves and a turbo until you lift the lid. It's done more than a few road trips with sizeable distances through the years, needs paint and body work but it gets driven well and it's always been good to me. biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Aug 26 2015, 05:54 PM) *

This one has a few clues that things may not be stock, but you don't know it has twenty valves and a turbo until you lift the lid. It's done more than a few road trips with sizeable distances through the years, needs paint and body work but it gets driven well and it's always been good to me. biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

One of my inspirations! wub.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.