Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Magnus had an eventful day at the opening of MPLS Porsche
bigkensteele
post Aug 27 2015, 08:03 PM
Post #101

Major Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Aug 27 2015, 04:44 PM) *

You guys it wasn't exactly cold out it was probably in the 70's, he sacrificed his car as not to hit anyone else's no doubt the trailer was blocking his view of the on coming cars, there was a lot of activity going on around the building to get it ready for the party, i blast around that corner all the time its my old neighbor hood, i use to ride my bike on the dirt trails where the road and building are now it was a huge vacant field area and abandoned golf course... generally there is not much traffic coming from that direction and the road that intersects it is closed and under construction. With that said it was a dumb thing to do with the trailer there. On another note about his character Magnus is a stand up guy and i found him very pleasant to talk too and watched him interact with everyone, and he made sure everyone had there time with him, his nose is not out of joint he seems to be a real gentlemen and down to earth and respectful. On first impression the guy looks like he could be one of the Duck Dynasty dudes gnarly dreadlocks....

I agree. He is a good guy whose head wasn't where it should have been at that moment. He isn't a stupid guy. He didn't wake up that morning thinking "I need to do something really stupid today".

I wish that I could take back all of my mistakes, and I am thankful that none ever caused anyone any serious ill and that none that I know of were ever filmed. But I am also thankful that I am not famous in any way shape or form (wealth makes it even worse) - who wants to live with a bulls-eye on their back every waking moment. Just look at this thread and all the people who are so eager to take the guy down a notch. If he weren't who he is, nobody here would know or even care about this unfortunate event. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Aug 27 2015, 11:15 PM
Post #102

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

Over five pages for this? Is everyone done making judgments? Or should we continue on? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Aug 27 2015, 11:35 PM
Post #103

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Ferg @ Aug 27 2015, 12:50 PM) *

The man made a mistake, a very public one.

I feel bad for him. We have all done it, but no need to berate the guy...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I started doing stupid things the day I was born………………... I still haven't stopped.
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Aug 28 2015, 09:52 AM
Post #104

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Aug 27 2015, 04:57 PM) *

...forcing him to take an evasive maneuver...

From the video, it looks like there was no evasive manuever to be had. It was a judgement error and once he made it, driving ability only let's you choose what you're going to hit. He was really lucky they weren't in the middle of raising/lowering that ramp.
+Quote Post
Valy
post Aug 28 2015, 10:24 AM
Post #105

Member No.: 11,573
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 27 2015, 09:39 AM) *

Plain stupid driver. I'm thankful he didn't do it in a 914. I hope to never see him.driving one.
No other way to put it.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 28 2015, 10:32 AM
Post #106

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Question for all you Negative Nancy's:

How many of you have gone on 914world or other car club driving events on twisty roads?

Of all the ones I've been on, 99% of the cars and drivers broke many, many laws....

Lots of speeding above the posted limit, many times well over the limit...

then we have following too close for the conditions, I mean if someone posted a full video of the last WCR drives I'm sure in the 1st few minutes we'd spot bone head moves or breaking the law and doing something we'd normally not do.

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 28 2015, 10:41 AM
Post #107

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

i've never plowed into a trailer. i've never plowed into a trailer with a reporter or anyone else in the car. i've never attempted to do prob 3x+ the posted speed limit on a 2 lane frontage road, thru 2 corners, with a semi PARKED in my lane and on coming traffic. quick, someone jump off of a bridge.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 28 2015, 11:03 AM
Post #108

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 28 2015, 09:32 AM) *

How many of you have gone on 914world or other car club driving events on twisty roads? every RRC and Route 66

Of all the ones I've been on, 99% of the cars and drivers broke many, many laws....Only if you get caught

Lots of speeding above the posted limit, many times well over the limit... Doesn't run well under 90

then we have following too close for the conditions, I mean if someone posted a full video of the last WCR drives I'm sure in the 1st few minutes we'd spot bone head moves or breaking the law and doing something we'd normally not do.If you can't hear your exhaust note bouncing off my front end, I'm not close enough

+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 28 2015, 11:20 AM
Post #109

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 28 2015, 12:03 PM) *

How many of you have gone on 914world or other car club driving events on twisty roads? every RRC and Route 66

Of all the ones I've been on, 99% of the cars and drivers broke many, many laws....Only if you get caught

Lots of speeding above the posted limit, many times well over the limit... Doesn't run well under 90

then we have following too close for the conditions, I mean if someone posted a full video of the last WCR drives I'm sure in the 1st few minutes we'd spot bone head moves or breaking the law and doing something we'd normally not do.If you can't hear your exhaust note bouncing off my front end, I'm not close enough

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Aug 28 2015, 11:27 AM
Post #110

Member No.: 10,510

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 28 2015, 11:41 AM) *

i've never plowed into a trailer. i've never plowed into a trailer with a reporter or anyone else in the car. i've never attempted to do prob 3x+ the posted speed limit on a 2 lane frontage road, thru 2 corners, with a semi PARKED in my lane and on coming traffic. quick, someone jump off of a bridge.

But if you ever did, nobody would know, or care, about it.
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Aug 28 2015, 11:52 AM
Post #111

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108
Region Association: Northern California

Not sure how many of your remember the old RoadGlue.com drives we threw back before the 'Club sites came about. MOST of us were driving like we owned the roads. Speed limits were only acknowledged in heavily populated areas. The front of the pack treated the runs like road races. If you weren't driving 9/10ths then chances were that you either lost the pack or were having out with just a few others that probably thought we were nuts.

There were accidents! I'll leave out names, but at least one person ran off the road and and down a steep embankment. Another less experienced driver tried keeping up with the pack in the rain on Hwy 9 and within about 30-seconds hit a guard rail. Another time two friends (one in a 914 and another in a Boxster) ran into another another in an intersection.

It got out of hand. Looking back I'm amazed nobody was injured or killed.

I normally held pre-run drivers meetings like at auto-x events, but they went like this: "Thanks everyone for showing up. We've created a great route for you today. Here's a map. We'll be stopping at a, b, and c. Drive it like you stole it, slow drivers at the rear of the pack, nobody die today, k?"

We tempt ourselves by driving performance cars. Maturity helps, but sometimes that gas pedal tempts us to throw out reason for adrenaline.

I did just one run with the local RR PCA group back maybe ten or so years ago. The route was ho-hum, but they had the bars spaced out every twenty minutes of road time or so. I bailed as soon as I saw that they were using the liquor to lube their egos. Nut jobs.

I'm not making excuses. Just trying to see why otherwise "normal" people will go out and do stupid things without taking into consideration the huge consequences our actions might make us face.

I can't even begin to cast a stone. I'm just glad injuries were minor as it could have been a lot worse. Life moves on, he'll probably never pull a stunt like that again (I hope!).

He wasn't in a neighborhood. I have ZERO tolerance for hooliganism around helpless kids.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 28 2015, 12:02 PM
Post #112

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Try running with the 928 guys in the metro and through rural WI.... They have lots of power and gooood brakes! Watched a 32 valve car drift and darn near loose it on an off camber corner through the windshield of the Alien close enough to smell the brakes...
+Quote Post
euro911
post Aug 28 2015, 04:04 PM
Post #113

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

How many of you have gone on 914world or other car club driving events on twisty roads?

Of all the ones I've been on, 99% of the cars and drivers broke many, many laws....

then we have following too close for the conditions, I mean if someone posted a full video of the last WCR drives I'm sure in the 1st few minutes we'd spot bone head moves or breaking the law and doing something we'd normally not do.
Breaking the speed limit? - uh, yeah, I suppose so (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif) ... but I tried to leave lots of room behind the 'BB' ... just ask Reese & Sherwood (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 28 2015, 04:25 PM
Post #114

914 Freak!

QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 28 2015, 03:04 PM) *

Breaking the speed limit? - uh, yeah, I suppose so (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif) ... but I tried to leave lots of room behind the 'BB' ... just ask Reese & Sherwood (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

I don't remember speeding at all...I was driving the twin-turbo 996 so we had to stay in the back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .... or was it really? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Aug 28 2015, 08:08 PM
Post #115

Member No.: 6,794

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 28 2015, 10:20 AM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 28 2015, 12:03 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Aug 28 2015, 08:48 PM
Post #116

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I try not to shift into 5th gear on my short blasts,I'm around 100 at the end of 4th, if caught going over a 100 in minnesota you lose your license and your car.
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Aug 28 2015, 09:19 PM
Post #117

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Looks like the tail started to come out and then really came around when it hit the yellow paint to me. Not a lot of options at that point with on coming traffic popping out from behind the truck. His original intention may have been to swing it into the parking lot for the media shot. You can see the photographer in the grass. Why would you go around the truck unless you had traffic stopped ahead?
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 28 2015, 09:32 PM
Post #118

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

We've all driven stupid.

The stupid this he did was driving stupid with a reporter in the car... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Aug 28 2015, 09:57 PM
Post #119

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463

"Watch this!"
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 28 2015, 10:31 PM
Post #120

914 Freak!

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Aug 28 2015, 08:57 PM) *

"Watch this!"

Better than: "hold my beer while I...." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 07:46 PM