Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Magnus had an eventful day at the opening of MPLS Porsche
gms
post Aug 29 2015, 09:27 AM
Post #121

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,785
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 28 2015, 12:52 PM) *

I can't even begin to cast a stone...

That is good because I have video (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
before gopro was around
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gms
post Aug 29 2015, 09:47 AM
Post #122

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785

OR

nope he is unstoppable

Attached Image

sorry E, I couldn't resist
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Aug 29 2015, 09:50 AM
Post #123

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(gms @ Aug 29 2015, 08:27 AM) *

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 28 2015, 12:52 PM) *

I can't even begin to cast a stone...

That is good because I have video (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
before gopro was around
Attached Image

At least the statutes of limitations has passed!
+Quote Post
Heeltoe914
post Aug 29 2015, 10:24 AM
Post #124

Member No.: 5,506

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 28 2015, 10:52 AM) *

Not sure how many of your remember the old RoadGlue.com drives we threw back before the 'Club sites came about. MOST of us were driving like we owned the roads. Speed limits were only acknowledged in heavily populated areas. The front of the pack treated the runs like road races. If you weren't driving 9/10ths then chances were that you either lost the pack or were having out with just a few others that probably thought we were nuts.

There were accidents! I'll leave out names, but at least one person ran off the road and and down a steep embankment. Another less experienced driver tried keeping up with the pack in the rain on Hwy 9 and within about 30-seconds hit a guard rail. Another time two friends (one in a 914 and another in a Boxster) ran into another another in an intersection.

It got out of hand. Looking back I'm amazed nobody was injured or killed.

I normally held pre-run drivers meetings like at auto-x events, but they went like this: "Thanks everyone for showing up. We've created a great route for you today. Here's a map. We'll be stopping at a, b, and c. Drive it like you stole it, slow drivers at the rear of the pack, nobody die today, k?"

We tempt ourselves by driving performance cars. Maturity helps, but sometimes that gas pedal tempts us to throw out reason for adrenaline.

I did just one run with the local RR PCA group back maybe ten or so years ago. The route was ho-hum, but they had the bars spaced out every twenty minutes of road time or so. I bailed as soon as I saw that they were using the liquor to lube their egos. Nut jobs.

I'm not making excuses. Just trying to see why otherwise "normal" people will go out and do stupid things without taking into consideration the huge consequences our actions might make us face.

I can't even begin to cast a stone. I'm just glad injuries were minor as it could have been a lot worse. Life moves on, he'll probably never pull a stunt like that again (I hope!).

He wasn't in a neighborhood. I have ZERO tolerance for hooliganism around helpless kids.

Please add me to the list of stupid things done that where not caught on video.. Yes I was smiling but I was taking a hell of a lot of chances..
Today i will wear my Magnus Walker urban outlaw hat proudly. I don't know about you but I'm counting the minutes not days not weeks not months before I do something stupid again.... I'm just glad no one got hurt.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Aug 29 2015, 07:40 PM
Post #125

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 27 2015, 01:33 PM) *

Having watched the news video, I think

Magnus Walker is a stupid shit who has no business behind the wheel of any Porsche!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Now that Krusty is gone, I'll gladly take over the reigns, so bring it on... As I said before, that is a flat-out, dumbshit hot-dogging crash with LIKELY could have caused that poor reporter her life if not for pure luck.

No one, not you, not some guy with a cool 911 and not even "Yahweh" Walker should be doing that shit on a public road. Some folks have their heads way too far up his ass to see the reality, which is... these things are dangerous. You as a driver have no right to put someone else in that situation, whether they're in the passenger seat or the other lane. At 31, I'm a lot younger than a lot of you guys, but even I know better. You're damn right he gets made an example of here - he is a celebrity, and for all the credit he gets as a "designer" or "fabricator", he should get equal credit as a dumbass. And as such, he should take the opportunity to educate others about the dangers of driving like that on the street... ESPECIALLY as a driving coach!
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Aug 29 2015, 11:42 PM
Post #126

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Aug 29 2015, 05:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 27 2015, 01:33 PM) *

Having watched the news video, I think

Magnus Walker is a stupid shit who has no business behind the wheel of any Porsche!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Now that Krusty is gone, I'll gladly take over the reigns, so bring it on... As I said before, that is a flat-out, dumbshit hot-dogging crash with LIKELY could have caused that poor reporter her life if not for pure luck.

No one, not you, not some guy with a cool 911 and not even "Yahweh" Walker should be doing that shit on a public road. Some folks have their heads way too far up his ass to see the reality, which is... these things are dangerous. You as a driver have no right to put someone else in that situation, whether they're in the passenger seat or the other lane. At 31, I'm a lot younger than a lot of you guys, but even I know better. You're damn right he gets made an example of here - he is a celebrity, and for all the credit he gets as a "designer" or "fabricator", he should get equal credit as a dumbass. And as such, he should take the opportunity to educate others about the dangers of driving like that on the street... ESPECIALLY as a driving coach!

George, I have never met you, but I like you a lot for what you contribute here. We all make mistakes, and I think that you may remember one you made regarding a driving suit or something not long after you joined here. You were young and just out of school and sought our opinion on what you should do in the situation you found yourself in. We overwhelmingly told you that you were wrong and needed to make it right. You ended up doing the right thing, and you were accepted here and appreciated as such.

Probably 3% of the people on Earth who own sports cars have not done something stupid at some point. Of the other 97%, most probably don't pay much price for it, but when they do, why is there a need to lynch the guy and act like you have never driven somewhat less than safe? You have. We all have. It is part of owning a performance car. You don't buy it or build it to drive the speed limit and wave hi to the neighbors.

I am not saying that we should all just go out and be idiots, but I would not believe you if you told me that when you take your 914 out for a ride on public roads that you obey any and all laws. If so, then why not just buy a Camry or Malibu?

Regarding the Krusty, there will never be another, and it would be best if nobody ever tried to replace him. He was him. You are you. Move on.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Aug 30 2015, 03:45 AM
Post #127

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) ... We've all probably pulled some not-so-well-thought-out stunts at one time or another. Some are lucky and come away unscathed, others aren't as fortunate.

I'm pretty sure Mr. Walker learned a valuable lesson from the mishap and that's all I'll say regarding the man. I'm just glad to see that nothing worse happened ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Aug 30 2015, 06:44 AM
Post #128

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

George, I have never met you, but I like you a lot for what you contribute here. We all make mistakes, and I think that you may remember one you made regarding a driving suit or something not long after you joined here. You were young and just out of school and sought our opinion on what you should do in the situation you found yourself in. We overwhelmingly told you that you were wrong and needed to make it right. You ended up doing the right thing, and you were accepted here and appreciated as such.

Ken, I'm glad you remember and brought up that incident. Indeed I did make a mistake, but mine in this case didn't threaten anyone's life. A little different I would say. But I do see your point. I wrote that last night as I was already emotional about other stuff going on. Perhaps should have thought more before posting. Thanks for the kind words.

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Aug 30 2015, 01:42 AM) *

I am not saying that we should all just go out and be idiots, but I would not believe you if you told me that when you take your 914 out for a ride on public roads that you obey any and all laws. If so, then why not just buy a Camry or Malibu?

It's not really a fair thing for me to comment on, since I don't drive my car on the street anymore... but no, personally I don't do any "spirited" driving on the street. I have had one close call once early on when I was trying to keep up with others at an event, but something about getting married and seeing the face of your first child changes that. I save it for the track where things can still go wrong, but the variables and number of lives endangered are far fewer.

I guess I can wrap my head around "We all make mistakes." But, it does disappoint me that a 48 year old guy still feels the need to do that stuff on the street. High schoolers already have enough bad influences... it bothers me when gents who have been around awhile are still spinning their tires leaving car shows, parades, etc. We all know that it only takes a split second... the Paul Walker (who, by the way was a passenger) incident demonstrated that one quite well.

Anyhow, sorry for getting so worked up. This one kind of hits home for me - lost a good friend to showboating, so I have to admit that I'm biased.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 30 2015, 07:31 AM
Post #129

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

"Seatbelts does make a difference!" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Just thought that the statement at the end of the video was irrelevant. Everyone wears a seatbelt these days...

+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 30 2015, 07:34 AM
Post #130

914 Wizard

Clearly MW didn't know where he was and got caught demonstrating the car. A MW 914 would have made the curve and he would have had more issues shutting it down.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 30 2015, 07:38 AM
Post #131

914 Wizard

Roadglue... that was awhile back! The 914 and Boxster thing on the wet road, and the guard rail thing. Good fun.

Anyone who had the FnF thing in their veins, go run PCA AX for a season, and it will take all of the streetlight to streetlight thing out of you... or at least it should.
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Aug 30 2015, 09:38 AM
Post #132

Sonoma County Gear Head

Yes, and indeed!

I hadn't auto-x'd or participated in a DE track day until well after we stopped the RoadGlue stuff. Wish I had much sooner as I'm sure it would have straightened my head out a bit in terms of the aggressive street driving when I was younger.

I blame my mom! We used to travel around the state to visit relatives in our 70's duster. She drove like a mad woman, crossing over the centerline... I'm not even sure we wore seatbelts half the time.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
(mom)
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 30 2015, 12:07 PM
Post #133

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 30 2015, 08:38 AM) *

I blame my mom! We used to travel around the state to visit relatives in our 70's duster. She drove like a mad woman, crossing over the centerline... I'm not even sure we wore seatbelts half the time.

(mom)

And current female drivers are different how other than driving SUVs?
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 30 2015, 12:30 PM
Post #134

914 Wizard

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 30 2015, 08:38 AM) *

Yes, and indeed!

I hadn't auto-x'd or participated in a DE track day until well after we stopped the RoadGlue stuff. Wish I had much sooner as I'm sure it would have straightened my head out a bit in terms of the aggressive street driving when I was younger.

(mom)

Is your real name Ricky Bobby? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 30 2015, 12:49 PM
Post #135

Resident German

Member No.: 179

QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 30 2015, 11:07 AM) *

My mother used to race in demolition derbies when i was a kid. My uncle prepared the cars for her and she drove them (pretty successfully i might add).
She also taught me how to drive on snow and ice.

Last time i went back to Germany to visit her she proudly showed me a new trophy she had just won competing in a local rally race.

She is 73 ...
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Aug 30 2015, 01:33 PM
Post #136

Sonoma County Gear Head

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 30 2015, 11:49 AM) *

My mother used to race in demolition derbies when i was a kid. My uncle prepared the cars for her and she drove them (pretty successfully i might add).

Last time i went back to Germany to visit her she proudly showed me a new trophy she had just won competing in a local rally race.

She is 73 ...

Wow, you win. That's awesome!

My mom said she wished she could have raced (she couldn't, another story).
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Aug 30 2015, 09:03 PM
Post #137

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Aug 30 2015, 04:44 AM) *

... but something about getting married and seeing the face of your first child changes that.

Amen.

Anyhow, sorry for getting so worked up. This one kind of hits home for me - lost a good friend to showboating, so I have to admit that I'm biased.

Very sorry to hear that, and understandable that you are emotional about it. I truly hope that we all learn a little lesson here.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 30 2015, 10:21 PM
Post #138

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 30 2015, 02:33 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 30 2015, 11:49 AM) *

She is 73 ...

Wow, you win. That's awesome!

My mom said she wished she could have raced (she couldn't, another story).

Just read this to Sandy. We both (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
veekry9
post Aug 31 2015, 11:58 AM
Post #139

OldMember

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 16,025
Region Association: Canada

Hoisted on his own petard. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Doh!!
BTDT. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
An exciting scary ride was had.
+Quote Post
Jgilliam914
post Sep 1 2015, 11:29 AM
Post #140

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,732

Say what you want about Magnus. I am sure it is not his proudest of moments. But many with a long hood ass dragger is thankful for him. I had read his passion for these cars have driven up the prices of these significantly over the past few years. So when I get mine completed I will toast him for his feats prior to this regrettable event!!
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:07 AM