Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2016 Build-Off Challenge - Official Contest Thread, AND THE WINNER IS . . .
mgp4591
post Oct 7 2015, 04:58 PM
Post #41

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(stevegm @ Oct 7 2015, 11:47 AM) *

A few more teeners have asked to be included as participants. I spoke with some of the sponsors and we are going to add them. But, we have to close this off officially. So, speak now or forever hold your peace. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

So is it or is it not open to all members so far as the discount goes? I'm not sure when I can start on mine due to my current condition but if I have to, I'd like to know if it's necessary. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Oct 7 2015, 05:11 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

cincy would be great for a gathering, I grew up in Dayton. love sw ohio
+Quote Post
JoeDees
post Oct 10 2015, 06:40 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 18,106
Region Association: None

I'm from Cincy (Northern KY but that's all the same...). I could take a trip to visit my dad and my 70 bus he stole from me.
+Quote Post
JoeDees
post Oct 11 2015, 05:27 PM
Post #44

QUOTE(stevegm @ Oct 5 2015, 03:58 PM) *

Restoration Design has stepped up and is giving all Challengers a 15% discount on the 914 sheet metal they make. In fact, they are offering this discount to everybody. The discount period ends December 31, 2015. Thank you Restoration Design (time to order some parts).

How is this discount working? Is there a code? I'm about to order some parts in the next couple days.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Oct 11 2015, 05:32 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(DirtyCossack @ Oct 11 2015, 07:27 PM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Oct 5 2015, 03:58 PM) *

Restoration Design has stepped up and is giving all Challengers a 15% discount on the 914 sheet metal they make. In fact, they are offering this discount to everybody. The discount period ends December 31, 2015. Thank you Restoration Design (time to order some parts).

How is this discount working? Is there a code? I'm about to order some parts in the next couple days.

I'd just ask about it when you order. I am sure whoever you deal with will be familiar with it. If not, let me know and I will email and find out.
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Oct 26 2015, 07:38 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 1,179

OK, so I guess I am the first one to post an October update...
I did not make a lot of progress this month for the usual reasons, but more on that later.
What I did get done was: Repair/weld up the weather strip channel for the front trunk, grind out more seam sealer and begin the rear trunk floor repairs.
Spots like these.Attached ImageAttached Image

Then this happend and I had to stop work on the car and gather my rosebuds while I may.. could... what ever. Salvaged and installed for a warmer winter.
Attached ImageAttached Image

After money this is the number one killer of this project... other projects that jump ahead in line.

I did not receive any help from vendors this month, but my fingers are crossed that next month I can get the media blasting done.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 26 2015, 08:43 PM
Post #47

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Update for October.

Car is still across the street at my friends house. Volvo taking longer to finish..dropped brand new piston wrist pin on ground, scratched the piss out of it, broke my piston ring compressor....capacitors for mill computer blew up, in process of converting to new motion controller (complete re-wire and programming of machine)

Not sure if the following is progress or not for the 914.

I bought a Passat/Boxster transmission to adapt to my 1.7 Type IV, the following pics show some drawings I'm doing to mock it up...I will be designing a billet aluminum flywheel for the ring gear and clutch friction surface I have drawn up also.

Oh yea, have not bought anything from a Challenge vendor nor have I received help or financial assistance (Dave Darling gave me a hard time for not getting the car running 1st, I expect no less from those I've known for so long!)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-87-1444711654.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-87-1444798498.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-87-1445704772.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-87-1445704783.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-87-1445800088.jpg)

I fully expect to come in at least 2nd to last place with all the other awesome builds and I'm okay with that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 26 2015, 09:32 PM
Post #48

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419

October Update: Extreme Budget Makeover - Creamsicle Edition

Only thing 914-related that happened this month is I sold a rear panel from a parts 914 to a friend who is in the process of repairing a 914 that was rear ended. So now I at least have a few $$ to put towards my build (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Before I can really get busy on my 914, I need to get my '02 GTI running. Have been in the (slow) process of replacing a bad turbo and miscellaneous hoses and undoing years of poor maintenance by the PO. Once that is done, I will have a winter driver and will be able to park the 914 in the garage for some major work.

Oh, yeah... recently purchased a New Beetle Convertible for my daughter (shhh, she doesn't know about it). Will be a Christmas/birthday gift. Problem is, it needs some repairs before we give it to her at Christmas. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I have too many projects (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 27 2015, 06:43 AM
Post #49

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

OCTOBER UPDATE: for BACK IN BLACK(i'm renaming my thread this with the addition of the AC/DC song of same name as my official music) yep, that's all I've done-----
no, actually what I have accomplished is hooked up wiring, put in new fuel lines, fuel filter, pump, tank etc.

I bought the car as a rolling stripped down project, so normally I would not have done that but with this contest its not a bad way to go. it saved me a lot of time and trouble, but as discussed on Jeff B's recent tread asking the question which is worth more or which would you prefer, its a hard thing to sort thru all that stuff done by someone else, so I have spent hours sorting thru bags of labeled stuff, and some not labeled, digging into the car to look for rust(of which I have found some, nothing show stopping) and assembling a list of stuff I need to order from restoration design.
-began chipping out the tar board in the floor pans, found some rust along the edges of the floor, but mostly just surface stuff so far. right hell hole had a bad attempt at previous repair, including bad welding and calk!,
-wiring: wow what a mess - this takes the most time. Ordered some schematics, a member here sent me a PDF which I blew up, sent to local print shop, had them printed and laminated so I don't need my glasses to read them!!
- pulled wiring back thru to sort, hook up the fuel pump. because I need to know what I have in order to know if I am doing major or minor engine work- i'm really close to trying to crank it up so that I can then check for leaks, check compression etc. ( car is a 75 with 1.8 L-jet.)
- what I have sourced and ordered so far:
1. new Mahle wheels from member here: - will be shipped today or tomorrow(soon as I pay him (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) )
2. New Distributor with installed optical points from Hot Spark - I read here that several others were using this distributor and very happy with the performance.
3. ordered vac hose, bought pump, filter and gas line and hooked all that up
4. new battery
5. I bought 914rubber.com bumper tops for back dating the bumpers- this might not happen, as I was contemplating a full stock build and restore: which poses the question, should I or should I not? because I cant find a set of decent nice chrome bumpers!!! , SO for anyone out there that might have a set let me know, otherwise it will have to just sell these toppers, and put the stock stuff back on (which maybe I should do)
this car is a mostly clean it up, make repairs and reassemble mostly in a stock fashion. Not custom.
Goals for this month that I believe I will have met:
- rewire , sort thru that- test run motor, strip floor pan and assess all areas for rust
- order parts, source proper wheels for car, sort thru parts stash,
- sourced a local Porsche shop that will help with next months goals:
-start car, run it and asses motor for needed repairs before dropping it out and cleaning it up
-threw out almost all interior parts except seats!! it was all trash
** so new list of parts needed to go forward: hell hole repair, battery tray, new dash and all new interior including door panels, back pad panels, white vinyl for back , doors, seats, - need to find out what carpet the car would have had stock- it was originally a stock black outside and white interior???

Next months goals: minor welding repairs of rear firewall, hell hole, replace battery tray to original location, fix 2 other body rust spots, prime etc
- pull motor and clean, put all nice new stuff on it,
- maybe finish minor body work have either touched up, or full respray- this is not decided yet.
- * will need all new exhaust so that decision will come later, but, I have very nice 1.8 heat exchangers with triad exhaust on my 75 2.0 copper car, so I might do a swap and buy the dual outlet SS. set up from Tangerine racing and put it on the Copper car. Decisions, Decisions!!!
Pictures will be posted on my thread, but yea, we've made some progress!
major parts orders are coming from 914 rubber, PMB, Restoration Design and Auto Atlanta.

Dr. Phil (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Oct 27 2015, 08:26 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 13,287

Oct 2015 progress
Still working on the drivers side fenders, bought some new Soft Sanders sanding blocks and they really helped smooth things out. The Durablocks are pretty good but the Soft Sanders bend more. I got the fenders to about 90% and had to walk away.

Attached Image

Taking too much time being anal about every little pit right now. So I pushed it out of the shed and turned it around, to work on the other side. The shed isn’t really big enough to easily work on both sides. but I can roll it over on the cart to get to the other side for some work.

Earlier I had just put some spray bomb primer on the passenger side just to keep the flash rust at bay, so I sanded all of that off to start the bondo work on the passenger side flares. (no Metal Surgeon here)

Attached Image

Next I have to make this look pretty and smooth.

Attached Image

Caught a couple warm days and it was really nice to work on the car outside for a change. Plus I could give the shed a good vacuuming.

Attached Image

Stripped the doors to take to the media blaster and found he will be out of town on another job for a month. That is going to slow me down, since I probably won’t get the stuff done until around Thanksgiving. I wanted to get started on the doors, and trunk lids. Something nice and flat to sand on for a change.

Stripped and epoxy primered the engine lid and found my rain tray had gotten warped and cracked up while in storage. Used a heat gun to get it straight, then epoxy glued the cracks. It turned out pretty good.

Diassembled my seat mounts and sent them to the powder coaters along with the rotor dust covers. And took my seat tilt aduster levers to my buddy’s Chrome shop. I know chrome isn’t for everybody but I like it on some things.

Shipped my calipers and prop valve off to PMB for a rebuild and ordered a bunch of related brake parts.

It didn’t seem like I got much done until I started writing it down. The weather will be an issue here soon and will screw me up as far a painting goes. I may have to just start installing some stuff while I continue to work on the body. Downside to that is the sanding dust gets everywhere, even though I tarp it off with old sheets.

That's about it for now.

+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 27 2015, 12:20 PM
Post #51

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Love the winch setup to pull your dollied 914 back into your shed. I was admiring your simple dolly, and then said WTF, whats that for, lol, and noticed the cable. Saves a few backs I am sure.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 27 2015, 12:25 PM
Post #52

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 27 2015, 11:20 AM) *

Love the winch setup to pull your dollied 914 back into your shed. I was admiring your simple dolly, and then said WTF, whats that for, lol, and noticed the cable. Saves a few backs I am sure.

I once used a come-along to get my old 914 into the garage...I used a 2x4 in the door way and prayed nothing broke while ratcheting it up the driveway!
+Quote Post
madmax914
post Oct 27 2015, 04:33 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 17,007
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

October Update: Spent most of the month getting the car up on wooden cribs to allow me to move the motor under the car. Made a wooden cradle for the motor and transmission to hold it in place to build front bulkhead mount and rear transmission mount. Presently the front mount is complete with the exception of some cosmetic welding and grinding so it can be sent off to powder coat. The rear Transmission mount is tacked together and will be finished up this weekend.

Next month I will be cleaning the drivers and hell hole up and getting ready for primer. I will try to work out some of the wiring to clean it up and get it all heading in the right direction. By the end of the month I hope to have the floorboard on the drivers side repaired and my stiffening kit installed.

Wish me luck and thank you for the positive comments, they are really motivating after a day metal shavings and rust in the eyes.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Oct 27 2015, 05:20 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 13,287

QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 27 2015, 02:20 PM) *

You guys don't miss a trick (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I have an anchor plate lagged into the front of the shed, using a small 12V 2500lb winch. works good when taking it out also. just lower it down the ramp.

I also used a come along till I got the winch. much easier now.
+Quote Post
JoeDees
post Oct 27 2015, 05:49 PM
Post #55

I don't feel like I had the most productive month. I spent most of it cutting out bad sections of the passenger long and then fabbing some pieces to go back on. I also fought some rust in the floor and prepped the wheelhouse for receiving its replacement after I finish the inner long.

I didn't receive any assistance from vendors, but I bought some parts from Restoration Design. The biggest challenge I faced was some extra rust and the fabricated pieces being a little more complex than I envisioned. On top of that, I found that I needed to do a lot of extra work to try and make later tasks easier. Most challenges were met and solved by patience and hope alone.

I'm really hoping November, with its 2 long weekends results in greater progress. My goals are to finish fabricating the inner long and have it fully welded in (as opposed to its current tack job), install the new wheelhouse (including finishing clearing up the surrounding area of crud and PO POR), and maybe even get everything completely lined up and the engine compartment long welded in.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 27 2015, 06:56 PM
Post #56

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

October Update:

Well I feel like I got nothing done. I have spent most of my time thinking. People like madmax914 do these neat things like engine mounts, and make me want to redo mine.

So this month, I have cut the 914 further apart. Cut a roof off a 944, and made slow progress towards getting focused and as of today, started installing the hidden hitch in my 914.

Attached Image

Attached Image

All fits behind this period correct plate.

Attached Image

Plate was my Grand Fathers
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 27 2015, 09:44 PM
Post #57

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

October update:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-172-1444600168_thumb.jpg)
Identified the front 914 wiring harness. Should be easy to match up to the Audi system.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-172-1444600240_thumb.jpg)
Removed the v8 engine setup.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-172-1444716948_thumb.jpg)
Did some work on the interior concept. I like it a lot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-172-1445348955_thumb.jpg)
Picked up a members 914 to install the v8 into.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=267385
Got side tracked with rust repair. Hope to get this car out of the garage in 2 weeks with a running v8 setup.
+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Oct 28 2015, 06:13 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 3,459

October Update:

A. A brief description of the progress you made on your build:

I have gotten the car media blasted and epoxy primed this month. I have also worked with the painter and have about fifteen hours of my own time in seam sealing with an epoxy seam sealer. This week I started sanding the epoxy primer so the painter can paint the inside of all the cars bulkheads.

B. Any unexpected challenges you encountered this month, and how those challenges were handled:

The biggest challenge has been keeping the painter focused on working on my car and not any other cars. If I go over and help then it gets worked on. I sort of understand it but I only have so much time to help.

The other challenge is that there are five bulkheads to prepare and paint instead of the normal three that most other cars have.

C. Whether any shops/vendors provided any services for the build during the month, and the value of such services:

No, unfortunately I am providing the help to the painter.

D. Progress Pictures:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Jeff B
+Quote Post
Garland
post Oct 28 2015, 04:25 PM
Post #59

Restoration Fanatic

Member No.: 1,535
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Attached Image
Complete "Michigan Build"Project Link
9/2015

October Update: Michigan Build
Build progress :

Removed all the tail section, and the back hafe of the rear trunk pan along with a second layer of sheet metal and lots of welding wire. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) scraped lots of carpet glue off the remaining area's, lots of body filler, what a mess. Alinged, fitted, prepped and welded in the new pieces. Filled the holes for titts that were drilled in a early bumper, and hung it.

Unexpected challenges:

The previous repaired damage required a lot of time to clean up, and repair correctly before installing my parts, otherwise the body lines would be off.

Vendors:

I purchased the rear trunk pan from Restoration Design, great vendor.

Progress Pictures:

November Update Link Page Post #94 pg:5

December Update Link Page Post # 127 pg:7

+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Oct 28 2015, 06:04 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 9,961

Am I too late to join in
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

20 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:13 PM