Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

31 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The official chappy 914-6-gt-turbo carrera thread, The car is real scary to drive, clutch is broke in, im not!
iamchappy
post Nov 5 2007, 04:09 PM
Post #161

It all happens so fast!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I dont understand it either. My plumbing seems sound to me.
Marty might be thinking about my old setup with the BAE stuff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Nov 6 2007, 08:34 PM
Post #162

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Nov 5 2007, 02:09 PM) *

I dont understand it either. My plumbing seems sound to me.
Marty might be thinking about my old setup with the BAE stuff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

That's it Chappy 'ol friend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) It was your older jpeg that I was referring to. The Starbucks just kicked in and I realized that you changed up to the 930 CIS delivery system...good move. I'll continue to use the 930 system, till my new blowers are compromised by the flow restriction . I'll then go with Motec and dining on TopRamen for awhile (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Marty
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Nov 6 2007, 09:18 PM
Post #163

It all happens so fast!

Marty your going to push that monster till the damn thing can fly to the moon...

I am finishing up with the little things now, the windshield will go in tomorrow then I should be close to getting it on the road.
+Quote Post
John
post Nov 6 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #164

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

Are you two tempting me to try my hand at going turbo as well? I do have a tub that I'm working on, and a 3.3 930 motor sitting around.....
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Nov 7 2007, 08:12 AM
Post #165

It all happens so fast!

QUOTE(John @ Nov 6 2007, 11:17 PM) *

Are you two tempting me to try my hand at going turbo as well? I do have a tub that I'm working on, and a 3.3 930 motor sitting around.....

Gee John whats holding you back...join the club.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Nov 7 2007, 10:57 AM
Post #166

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

QUOTE(John @ Nov 6 2007, 09:17 PM) *

...You ain't done yet ?
Marty
+Quote Post
MJHanna
post Nov 7 2007, 01:17 PM
Post #167

Does this 911 make my butt look big?

Member No.: 185

Vey nice I want to here its been started..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
autohausdolby
post Nov 7 2007, 01:26 PM
Post #168

Member No.: 6,821

Nice work!
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Nov 7 2007, 03:37 PM
Post #169

It all happens so fast!

Trying to get that windshield to lay flat, bottom corners want to come up a bit, I have lost feeling in my thumbs trying to compress the Butyl. The glass looks even all the way around, about a 1/4 inch gap.
I am using a heat gun to warm things up a bit, but I have had a really tough go of it, been at it for hours.

I have the Plinkington XXX OEM glass which is suppose to be the best out there.
how far below the clips should it sit. Mine is just below the clips top edge but the glass corners are floating just barely making contact with the Butyl.
+Quote Post
lotus_65
post Nov 7 2007, 03:41 PM
Post #170

Member No.: 3,795
Region Association: Northstar Region

i can swing by if you need more thumbs, i'm just about done for the day.

ring my phone if you want help!

paul
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Nov 7 2007, 03:47 PM
Post #171

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

From what I've heard windshields are not easy. Maybe it would be worth having it done by a pro, hate to see you crack that windshield. I've got a new one sitting here and I've decided to have it installed by a pro.
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Nov 7 2007, 04:06 PM
Post #172

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984

Yep... Cracked mine putting it in. Pushed down on the corner and bam... I thought I was being super careful too.

+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Nov 7 2007, 04:09 PM
Post #173

It all happens so fast!

The Pro's will only use Polyurathane. I am heating up the garage to Florida temps use the heat gun and continue on, I know I am close and my even have it good enough.
As we all know these 914's arent perfect I may have compress it a little to much on the top edge so if I can get things warm enough maybe it will rock down a little on the bottom.
Paul I am picking up Ollie from work now, swing by i will be back at around 3:30.
+Quote Post
Chuck
post Nov 7 2007, 05:43 PM
Post #174

What it eventually will look like . . . .

Member No.: 7,632

Chappy,

Are you going to have a local "Starting the Beast" party when it's time to fire that thing up? I know we're all anxious to see that thing come alive. Let me know if you need another set of hands as I could run over this evening.

Chuck
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Nov 7 2007, 07:17 PM
Post #175

It all happens so fast!

Paul came over and we worked it a little, but i am too burnt out to go on tonight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
I need to sleep (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif) on it then tomorrow hit it with the heat guns. If I can compress the Butyl another 1/16 of an inch along the bottom edge and half ways up the side pillars I think the windshield will sit down low enough in the corners that the trim will go on without a problem.

The gap all the way around the pillars is a pretty uniform 1/4inch and the windshield doesn't interfere with the clips, there is space between them and the windshield edges. in the lower corners the top edge of the windshield is flush with the top of the clip, this I would like down another 1/16th.

I would hate to remove the windshield and start over as the thing is really centered in there nice. If the Polyurethane allows you to fudge around and set it easier i would of preferred doing it that way to begin with. I felt the reason for using the Butyl in the first place was that was the way the windshield was originally designed to be installed, for reasons of it allowed some give.

Another thing we noticed was the dash to windshield seal may be keeping it from going back enough.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
flesburg
post Nov 7 2007, 07:37 PM
Post #176

Member No.: 3,162

Just my 2c:

It looks like something is holding up the drivers side lower corner. The butyl does not look like the glass has compressed it. It could be the rubber trim or seal piece between the dash top and the glass.

My memory is a little vague, but the seal between the dash and the glass does not look like the piece I installed . . . it does look like it is holding the glass away from the butyl at the lower edge. I do not remember my piece rolling "under" where it met the glass.

3M makes windshield butyl in different thicknesses. If you end up taking the glass out, see if you can get butyl that is smaller in diameter than the material you used.
+Quote Post
lotus_65
post Nov 7 2007, 08:40 PM
Post #177

Member No.: 3,795

the odd thing is the gaps look nice everywhere other than the corners; as if the curvature of the glass is doesn't meet the arc of the car.

i agree, the dash seal is a question, and we discussed it.

also, the heated butyl presses by hand so the corners look closer to correct, but would recoil.

could/should we pull the dash seal and hope to get it re-mounted after putting it all together?

paul
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Nov 7 2007, 09:02 PM
Post #178

It all happens so fast!

The seal is a Pelican parts aftermarket part it dosent have the steel gripers. I agree with Paul in that the windshield compresses down but recoils back up so the dash seal could be whats pushing it back. I could use a little hook type tool maybe a angled feeler gauge heated up and spread or pull out some of the Butyl to allow more compression.
I used 1/4 inch Butlyl which is what everyone else has been using.

The thing is really close, just a little more and I think ive got it.

Yes that corner is high and is barely contacting the Butyl the last thing I am going to do is try to push that corner down......Craaaack. We will get it tomorrow I will post the results.
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Nov 7 2007, 09:15 PM
Post #179

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346

QUOTE(flesburg @ Nov 7 2007, 05:37 PM) *

Just my 2c:

It looks like something is holding up the drivers side lower corner. The butyl does not look like the glass has compressed it. It could be the rubber trim or seal piece between the dash top and the glass.

My memory is a little vague, but the seal between the dash and the glass does not look like the piece I installed . . . it does look like it is holding the glass away from the butyl at the lower edge. I do not remember my piece rolling "under" where it met the glass.

3M makes windshield butyl in different thicknesses. If you end up taking the glass out, see if you can get butyl that is smaller in diameter than the material you used.

Hi Dave,

Setting the front windshield is a bitch. Here's my experience when I did mine.
I had a local shop come to my home to set it on a warm/hot day. The guy was experienced and said he would only install using polyurathane out of a squeeze gun. I was ready to use the butyl rope by heating in the over to get it sticky & soft, but it would not compress worth a darn. I then agreed with the guy & it was a slick and easy installation. The glass layed down into the groove and putting on the aluminum trim worked perfectly. I used a Siglia (spelling?) windshield which is a factory replacement & it fit perfectly. I was told not to use PPG's because they don't fit in the corners. I am happy with mine. Over the years no water leaks & no stress cracks from road bumps, etc.

Tom
BTW: Your car is beautiful & can't wait to get news of the motor being fired up.
+Quote Post
John
post Nov 7 2007, 09:30 PM
Post #180

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

How close to the windshield are the side trim pieces? I've never done one with all the trim in (usually have the sides and top out).

I don't think you will be able to bend the glass much (if at all) to fit the opening. You may have to work back to say the center of the windshield at the bottom and all the way down the side. Press gently, but firmly. You are almost there.

I assume that you are using the aluminum trim. You may not notice the differential in glass height with the trim in place.

Good luck.

P.S. The PPG glass that I have installed, fit ok. They may not be CW calibre, but they fit good enough for me.
+Quote Post

31 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 11:49 AM