Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Few, the rare......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
gturner008
I’m almost done with underside. Then I’ll finish exterior. More pics of the pretty bird soon.
VG-914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 5 2009, 06:54 PM) *

...post your 914 if it is even close to 100% original, as delivered.

If you all haven't been to look... and apologies for duplicating from Classifieds.... but, there is what looks like a darn near original 1976 914 2.0 on bring a trailer dot com right now with ONLY 36K miles on it. Price is still very reasonable at $36K and climbing... but, a lot of photos for those looking to see how they originally set up. Does have an aftermarket exhaust system, and euro side markers... but don't see much else that isn't original... well, maybe the radio...
Go take a look!
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-porsche-914-22/
gturner008
Yes, that BaT car is my car’s twin.

But I have to say, with respect to the seller, my car is in much better and original condition. Mine’s never been painted, has original exhaust and everything is spotlessly clean.

I wish the seller every success. At least I’ll have a good benchmark of value. But I’m not selling my beauty.
gturner008
https://youtu.be/Qw49kDBDPM0

Here’s my YouTube of the car, now it’s finished detailing
gturner008
https://youtu.be/2ZZzWeR1YTs

Under the hood
gturner008
https://youtu.be/aNxtT8o9_pk

Engine bay
gturner008
https://youtu.be/s9hTcJ0gReU

Trunk
gturner008
https://youtu.be/LiUaLYC6MeQ

Door shuts
gturner008
https://youtu.be/eP8b2AvBrGw

Finally, a cold start
DANNYMAC
New here, not new to 914's... That is a BEAUTIFUL automobile ! speaking of "SARA"
brcacti
My car I call a survivor, I think is a well taken care of car but not sure of the exact definition of a survivor, if someone could tell me. Looks to be all original inside and out and paint. Question, are those double black rear view mirrors add ons or factory? Comments welcome.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914Next
QUOTE(brcacti @ Sep 11 2020, 10:32 PM) *

My car I call a survivor, I think is a well taken care of car but not sure of the exact definition of a survivor, if someone could tell me. Looks to be all original inside and out and paint. Question, are those double black rear view mirrors add ons or factory? Comments welcome.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Nice car. How long have you owned it? You are correct that you will likely get a different definition of "survivor" each time you ask someone. So....FWIW, in my view a true survivor is one that has been untouched since new except for "consumable" things like batteries, tires, brake pads and rubber lines, etc. Paint, interior, engine, transmission must all be original to the car. There is no clear line on things like paint and interior. For example my car is an all original paint car with the exception of a 12" diameter area around the front blinker light that was repainted/blended in the 90's after having been scraped in a parking garage. Even if the entire quarter panel had been repainted I would likely consider it an original paint car (with an *) because the idea is to have the majority of the car be original. When I was into corvettes judged survivors were those that had something like 80% percent original paint, interior, engine compartment as original, as I recall. The idea is to preserve what original cars looked like from the factory so that others can use those examples as guides in restoration and in appreciating what these cars looked like when new. If a car has a full repaint but has original interior and engine, I would not consider it a survivor....likely just a very well preserved example. I wish PCA had more clear guidelines on survivors like other classic car clubs do but so far that doesn't seem to be the case. Hope that helps.

Tell us more about your car pls.

Oh...and those mirrors are not factory original.
brcacti
I bought it on ebay 15 months ago from Colorado. Asking price was $17,750, I made an offer for a lot less, they took the offer. I think it was a younger person wanting to buy a home, not sure though. He said it had been in the family and extended family for many years. Funny thing after I bought it the ad said sold for full price listed here which was incorrect. I have done 25 tiny to small fix things to it since having it and had a mechanic install electronic ignition. I am not a mechanic but do little things only. Seems to be in good condition, I took some pics of the underside yesterday, looks mostly rust free from what I can tell but I am NO expert, would like some expert opinions on them. I can see quite a bit of blue paint under the coating the factory puts on so to me looks like no big rust problems. Has 100,000 miles on it, paint looks to me as all original and matches perfect all quarter panels.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914Next
QUOTE(brcacti @ Sep 13 2020, 09:09 AM) *

I bought it on ebay 15 months ago from Colorado. Asking price was $17,750, I made an offer for a lot less, they took the offer. I think it was a younger person wanting to buy a home, not sure though. He said it had been in the family and extended family for many years. Funny thing after I bought it the ad said sold for full price listed here which was incorrect. I have done 25 tiny to small fix things to it since having it and had a mechanic install electronic ignition. I am not a mechanic but do little things only. Seems to be in good condition, I took some pics of the underside yesterday, looks mostly rust free from what I can tell but I am NO expert, would like some expert opinions on them. I can see quite a bit of blue paint under the coating the factory puts on so to me looks like no big rust problems. Has 100,000 miles on it, paint looks to me as all original and matches perfect all quarter panels.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Doesn't look too bad in those spots. Have you checked the hell hole? Also consider taking the sill covers off to see condition under there? Congrats on the purchase. Looks like a good car.
DANNYMAC
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 3 2013, 05:47 PM) *

QUOTE(CTDan914 @ Sep 6 2013, 05:58 PM) *

I'm just wondering, do you guys that have very low miles have any oil leaks to deal with? I wondering if the gaskets and seals tend to dry out due to the low miles.

They DO dry out, but it's because of age. Mileage is "relatively" unimportant. Use really helps keep things wet, but 40+ years (or thereabouts) do take a toll.

I have a small seepage leak from somewhere on my '72. The stuff travels and makes it difficult to find the source if the motor is dirty underneath. Mine is clean underneath and I know that the seepages are coming from the oil strainer and the tranny rear seal. Neither is serious ( a drop a week) but they are irritating. To be addressed soon.

Lack of use is probably the worst thing.

I have just purchased a 1973 1.7L car with 19102 miles original. Everyone tells me NOT to drive it ! I am not Jay Leno, if I can't drive it, why did I buy it ? What's the excepted "rule" drive it or not !
DANNYMAC
I am a new owner of a 1973 1.7L with 19102 miles original. Everyone is telling me not to drive the car "you will drive the value off" What is the "rule" drive it or not ?
DANNYMAC
QUOTE(DANNYMAC @ Oct 2 2020, 01:19 PM) *

I am a new owner of a 1973 1.7L with 19102 miles original. Everyone is telling me not to drive the car "you will drive the value off" What is the "rule" drive it or not ?

So as delivered 1973 1.7L with 19688 miles unmolested, never repainted, as it came... Ooops except the wheels, but I have the as delivered wheels off...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
73-914
Those EU turn signal lenses front + rear are not "Original"
davep
Regular driving will help keep everything functional; I would suggest at least an hour drive, and at least one a month when possible. This car should be fully documented, and I can help.
Dave
DANNYMAC
QUOTE(73-914 @ Oct 16 2020, 07:21 PM) *

Those EU turn signal lenses front + rear are not "Original"

dr914 pointed that out as well, I have originals, but I kind of like them ?
DANNYMAC
QUOTE(davep @ Oct 18 2020, 10:44 AM) *

Regular driving will help keep everything functional; I would suggest at least an hour drive, and at least one a month when possible. This car should be fully documented, and I can help.
Dave

I would really appreciate that Dave !
DblDog
For reference,

My non appearance group 72, serial no. 4722908363. Options: black paint and tinted windshield.

Purchased from Ely Porsche Audi., in Hayward, California, May 26, 1972

Photo dates from July ‘72…or so.

Click to view attachment
jagalyn
1974 2.0 Liter – 14,570 original miles. Original Paint.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jagalyn
Click to view attachment
wonkipop
blink.gif
Bullethead
@jagalyn , for a moment I thought you might be the lucky new owner of the BaT sale from last week, but realized not! Anyway, what are the odds of two nearly identical cars with astonishingly low miles appearing in the same couple of weeks?!?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-porsche-914-2-0-43/

Congrats, wherever you found it. Beautiful! smilie_pokal.gif
jagalyn
QUOTE(Bullethead @ Nov 27 2021, 06:58 PM) *

@jagalyn , for a moment I thought you might be the lucky new owner of the BaT sale from last week, but realized not! Anyway, what are the odds of two nearly identical cars with astonishingly low miles appearing in the same couple of weeks?!?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-porsche-914-2-0-43/

Congrats, wherever you found it. Beautiful! smilie_pokal.gif

@Bullethead They are very similar. My car is original paint, original tires. 14,570 original miles. 100% original. Spent it's entire life in North Dakota…until now.

The interesting part is the car sold on BaT is coming to Minneapolis so both of these cars will be in the same community. What are they odds? I hope to see it soon.

Click to view attachment
jagalyn
Click to view attachment
bertsboat
74 2.0 914. One CA owner since new. All
[code][/code]original
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.