914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Bleyseng
here is where he lives
tat2dphreak
all you had to say was UTAH... the map is overkill wink.gif

j/k
weird_looking_cactus
I talk to my mechanic today and yes he is the only one who would take my car in sence he is a VW engine mechanic there was some other place but they were way over priced. He took the dizzy out and cleaned it all up plus he set the points on the fl trigger. Im now getting pluse again from the injecters so I guess I moved the dizzy to much when I was trying to get it to run and messed everything up. But now my fuel pump is just having problems it was working great when I brought it into the shop. He has a meter hooked up to the car and its not showing any pressure. Im thinking its probley not going to show any pressure in less the car is running. It squirts gas out of the fuel lines when you turn the key. But I hope to have the car out of the shop running and on the street withen the next couple weeks. I still need to get the title plus fix the hole under the seat and replace the turn signal lenses cause they are broken. Everything else works great like all the lights pop up and break lights work. I have access to a welder at my school Im wondering what type of metal I want to replace it with and should I weld it on from under the car or weld it inside the car. Thanks for all the support so far and probaly saving me a few hundred dollars.
GWN7
If the pump was working and now not, check the fuse.

You can lay a piece of metal over the hole and weld it either from the inside or the outside, or trim the hole of bad metal and cut a patch the size of new hole and butt weld it in place. The second way you can grind the welds down and have a smooth patch.
weird_looking_cactus
When I turned the key the pump turns on but I can't get any pressure just alittle. I though its suppose to run around 30 psi. I havn't tried it when the cars running though so that probley my problem.
John
When I turned the key the pump turns on but I can't get any pressure just alittle. I though its suppose to run around 30 psi. I havn't tried it when the cars running though so that probley my problem.

With the engine not running, and the fuel pump running, you should get 30psi. This is ONE of the problems you have... It is a good start. If the pump actually runs, then I would suspect dirt or other crap in the fuel tank/fuel lines.

Check and replace the fuel filter.
Check the pressure regulator (it should be adjustable).

The fuel pressure gauge should be attached to the cold start valve rubber line and all other lines connected. The pressure regulator should be located on the driver side near the fuel rail. Turning the adjuster clockwise (in) increases the pressure. Turning the adjuster counter clockwise (out) decreases the pressure. There should be a jam nut on the adjusting bolt. Once set, tighten the jam nut (this rarely needs adjustment).

Good luck. I am glad to see you aren't going to the dark side with those evil carbs....
Bleyseng
agree.gif
Gint
Don't we have any members in Utah?

weird_looking_cactus, I'll be driving right through St. george on my way out and back from D&G swap meet. I can stop by on my back on Sunday, 4/4 if you haven't solved your problems by then. PM or email if you're interested.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 25 2004, 06:13 AM)
Don't we have any members in Utah?

'most all of them seem to be in the SLC area - some of our AZ members might actually be closer...

i did all my work, on my own, in similarly desolate surroundings - there is no one qualified to work on CIS-KE within 100 miles of Minden, NV... with good shop manuals, access to the web, and UPS, it can be done...
Gint
They are all a lot closer than I am. LOL cool.gif

Sometimes you can just use an experienced hand to help out a little and explain some things while you're both there looking and pointing. If he wants me to, I'll stop by on my way back.

i did all my work, on my own, in similarly desolate surroundings

Bet you weren't 16 at the time...
rhodyguy
and so hot to drive your porsche you can hardly stand it.
Gint
Hormones man!!! MDB2.gif burnout.gif
Joe Bob
Speaking of carbs....are ALL weber jets and venturis the same? In other words...will 40 two barrel jets fit 44s and/or 40 triple webers?
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(weird_looking_cactus @ Mar 24 2004, 11:17 PM)

The FI system will run the fuel pump for ~1.5 seconds when the key goes from "off" to "on". That will raise the fuel pressure to some extent, but often not all the way to 30 PSI. The pump will also run while the starter is cranking, and while the car is running at more than ~200 RPM.

If the pressure does not get to 29 PSI with the engine running, or with the starter cranking, or with the fuel pump relay jumpered to force the pump to run, then you have fuel delivery problems. If it does get to 29 PSI under those circumstances, that isn't your problem.

--DD
weird_looking_cactus
Great news Im bringing my car home today. He got it running and said it runs great. I just need a new fuel pump. He had it running on some vacuum thing to pump the gas. It could possibley be the fuel filter so Im going to change that first. If its the fuel pump it shouldn't be hard to replace sence I have tooken mine out many times just its going to cost me. It pumps gas just not hard. smilie_pokal.gif
tat2dphreak
GREAT NEWS DUDE! CONGRATS!!! boldblue.gif

we're happy for you!

I hope it's just the filter! those pumps are $$$$ Porsche (or bosch, whoever makes the actual pump) is VERY proud of them! ;D
GWN7
WoooHooo

Let us know what the final total is and how the first ride feels. smile.gif MDB2.gif MDB2.gif MDB2.gif
Gint
Congratulations! I'll stop by St. George on my way back from L.A. anyway. I'll send some details in a reply to your PM.

And let me know if you don't find a pump before 4/1. I may be able to pick one up for you at D&G Swap for sub $50.

What's your real name cactus?
echocanyons
How do you test one? I have one that I will dontate if I can figure out if its still good
anthony
Put 12 volts to it and see if it spins. Don't do it for more than a few seconds so you don't burn it up. That however doesn't guarantee that it won't leak. Some people though have successfully taken them apart and replaced the o-ring.

There's also the option of replacing it with a generic 2 port FI pump that you can get a Summit for relatively cheap.
tod914
Might be a good idea to flush the system if the filter had crap in it. They don't trap everything. Did you clean your tank and replace all the lines???? Make sure all that is done or you'll be back to square one before long. Good luck glad you got it going beerchug.gif
weird_looking_cactus
I thought I was going to bring my car home today so I was going to mess with the fuel pump but I have to wait tell tomarrow cause my dad couldn't get work off to come tow it. I wen't back over there to let it run ,my mechanic said that its squirts out air instead of gas when there is plenty of gas in the tank cause he even added his own. He also said something about the pump seighting up when the car was on. I have already replace all the fuel lines when I first got the car. I also let all the gas drain out of the tank, I didn't see anything but pure gas coming out. So Im going tp replace the fuel filter and see if that does anything if not then I know its my pump. Also my real name is Kristopher Larson
weird_looking_cactus
This is the happest day of my life I got my 914 home smilie_pokal.gif. Haha my problem with my fuel pump was my fuel tank rubber supports. I forgot to put them back in so the fuel tank was smashing one of the fuel lines which was blocking it off. I also change the fuel filter for the heck of it and found a twig inside of it. wink.gif But now my car starts on the first crank and goes straight to a nice smooth idle. I took it for a test drive. But I only wen't up to 20 mhp in first gear then went to 3rd sence my 2nd gear is broken but I had no power at all in 3rd gear. If gint will be able to make it down then I will let him take it for a test run so he can decied what else is wrong with it. But once again thanks for all the support. My bill was only $130.00 instead of $600. Im just hoping I don't need a new clutch or anything now.
mightyohm
You da man!!! Congrats!!
GWN7
Congrats smilie_pokal.gif

If the clutch works in first, it probably is ok. No shuddering or wierd noises?

If it's just the second gear you might have to spend what you just saved by not going to the carbs in parts. I remember a thread about the price of those (gears & syncros) going up lots in the last little while.

The reason it dies when you try to take off in third is because it geared that way. Normal opperations. You can't jump over a gear without the car lagging. You can start off in second, but you don't have that option (yet).
tat2dphreak
great news man! Glad to hear it! ask your mechanic man to help with the tranny... to me, Tranny's are 10X more complicated than engines and have 10x more parts!! ask me how I know smile.gif
weird_looking_cactus
Well great haha my my 914 is not starting again. <_< I had it running perfect for about 45 mins in my drive way I wen't out shut it off and put the fuel tank back in its spot. Then boom the car won't start again its like the fuel injecters arn't getting any pluse again. So I pulled the tank out again but still no go. The mechanic said that the altitude sensor is very touch but I didn't even mess with that. So Im back on step one. Im going to mess around with it tomarrow.
GWN7
You didn't find this car parked over a old indian burial ground? cool.gif
cgnj
Bumped that huge clod of rust into the sock.

Carlos
trojanhorsepower
Kristopher,
You will work this out, but please don't put BOOM in any more of your posts; especially fuel oriented ones. Man I almost had a heart attack.
These little cars are as combustible as they are rustible. wink.gif

-Pete
weird_looking_cactus
This is way to weird I wen't to try and start my car. Just like that it starts up but BANG its back fires on me and scares me to death. I so I guess one pistion go filled up to gas I guess Im just going to have to work with a little but Im going to hurry and take it for a test run before my dad gets back w00t.gif
weird_looking_cactus
OMG I just had the funnest time in my life just driving up the street in first gear with out any problems. It seems like my reverse has more power then my first gear. But I love my porsche so much now I can drive it. Trust come down to St. George its worth the drive. Make sure to have smilie_pokal.gif mueba.gif your top off at night and drive around. Cause its probley about 70 degrees outside which is warm and its night time its a blast I can't weight tell I can drive it to school. Also I tryed my heater and it worked haha my first car with a working heater.
Bleyseng
Altitude sensor??? Huh? The MPS has that built in to it so there isn't one unless its something I have never heard of.
In the pic its the funny round thing with the 57 on it.
weird_looking_cactus
Ya its the MPS that he was talking about. Is there anyway to adjust it or anthing.
Bleyseng
You need special tools to adjust it right..... An inductance meter for one.
Gint
Kristopher, Don't go messin around with your MPS. Listen to Geoff (bleyseng), he knows what he's talking about.

Two things dude:

Read my reply to your latest post.

Learn to use the search feature of this board. There is a TON of good information that has already been covered. Sometimes over and over again. Many of the questions you have asked have been answered before. You could learn a LOT about your 914 by just spending some quality time with the search function.
Bleyseng
agree.gif
this place has a ton of info agree.gif
rhodyguy
excellent. you saved much dough. if you are fairly sure it's the mps, buy a recalibrated one from geoff. his prices are right. you'll be stylin' in the school parking lot before you know it. don't let the really hot girl drive your car when she/they ask (and they will). i'll read the other post now.

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.