Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 916 gearbox conversion kit (915 to 914)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
Pages: 1, 2, 3
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 3 2013, 11:19 PM) *

What the 916 adds to a 901 I do not know.

Just for those coming in late...
It doesn't do anything for a 901 - the 914 sideshift conversion already works fine.
This is a complete package for a sideshift _915_.
rhodyguy
yes andy, i understand the complexity and what is included. almost completely...
larryM
i was asking about doing a 915 to 916 -

I think I'll put the 915 on the shelf & stay with the 901 for now,

i might still buy the 916 kit (if it is actually a complete bolt-together, no diversions, status) for "someday" since we are likely talking about limited production here and zero availability in a year or 2 hence, similar to the velllious kit

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jan 4 2013, 03:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 3 2013, 11:19 PM) *

What the 916 adds to a 901 I do not know.

Just for those coming in late...
It doesn't do anything for a 901 - the 914 sideshift conversion already works fine.
This is a complete package for a sideshift _915_.
Steve
Sorry for the high jack.
A 930 does have a higher torque capacity compared to a 915, but its only a four speed and since it was never designed for the 914-6, you typically have to use a cable shifter.
The 915 is a five speed and the factory created a kit to use it in the prototype 916's that never made it into production. Martin just copied the kit and made some improvements. The 916 kit, since its designed for a 914 allows you to use a metal side shift rod similar to the standard 73-76 914-4's. It also allows you to use a stock 911 or 914-6 muffler. IMHO, I have used the 901/914 trans with a 2.4 four banger and 2.7 six and never experienced any problems. I was happy with the gearing and experience. As soon as I jumped to a 3.2 motor, the gearing just felt all wrong. First gear was too low and worthless and second was to high. The cost of changing all the gears in a 901 and switching to a 904 main shaft, just to be able to swap the second gear, did not make sense compared to just upgrading to a 915 that was designed for my motor.
larryM
Steve - excellent contribution!

you have answered the "930 question" as well

I talked to Paul Sayegh last year about his 3.6 & trans - and he re-geared the entire box - never uses 1st,, can do about 70mph in 2nd, and others also say they never use 1st with 3.0-3.2s

i have been running the 901 sideshift with 2.7 & 2.8 for 20 yrs, AX & racing too, and only have broken one 901 box so far - i think the intermediate plate gave out, but i never took i t apart to see cuz the trans's were so cheap & plentiful that there was no point in it "back when" (i only use 1st to get moving, never to accelerate)

QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 4 2013, 09:25 AM) *

A 930 does have a higher torque capacity compared to a 915, but its only a four speed and since it was never designed for the 914-6, you typically have to use a cable shifter.
The 915 is a five speed and the factory created a kit to use it in the prototype 916's that never made it into production. Martin just copied the kit and made some improvements. The 916 kit, since its designed for a 914 allows you to use a metal side shift rod similar to the standard 73-76 914-4's. It also allows you to use a stock 911 or 914-6 muffler. IMHO, I have used the 901/914 trans with a 2.4 four banger and 2.7 six and never experienced any problems. I was happy with the gearing and experience. As soon as I jumped to a 3.2 motor, the gearing just felt all wrong. First gear was too low and worthless and second was to high. The cost of changing all the gears in a 901 and switching to a 904 main shaft, just to be able to swap the second gear, did not make sense compared to just upgrading to a 915 that was designed for my motor.

SirAndy
QUOTE(larryM @ Jan 4 2013, 09:49 AM) *
I talked to Paul Sayegh last year about his 3.6 & trans - and he re-geared the entire box - never uses 1st,, can do about 70mph in 2nd

Actually, he re-geared his 915 specifically so he *could* use 1st gear. I have driven his car and his new 1st is indeed very usable!

On the other hand, on my stock 901 1st gear is completely useless with my 3.6L. That's the reason why i'm building a custom 915 box this year.
shades.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 4 2013, 04:45 PM) *

I talked to Paul Sayegh last year about his 3.6 & trans - and he re-geared the entire box - never uses 1st,, can do about 70mph in 2nd

Actually, he re-geared his 915 specifically so he *could* use 1st gear. I have driven his car and his new 1st is indeed very usable!

On the other hand, on my stock 901 1st gear is completely useless with my 3.6L. That's the reason why i'm building a custom 915 box this year.
shades.gif

Oh really? cool_shades.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 4 2013, 02:39 PM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 4 2013, 04:45 PM) *

shades.gif

Oh really? cool_shades.gif

Well, by *i* i really meant *you* ... laugh.gif
bugat5speed
Hi all of you (and especially you Steve),

Steve thank you for these information. Already thought about writing something yesterday, but haven´t yet found time for it. My English is not that good that I can write it just straight away. So it takes me some good time to find all the translations to the technical words. What I read/see I can say that everything that Steve wrote is correct.
Some things that I want to reconfirm/add:
The 915 fits all /6 clutches (pulled type). What was discussed about with clutch adaption only has to be done with 901 gearboxes. So nothing that concerns the 916 builder.
The 930 does not have much to do with the 915. If there is a machining necessary if you flip ring gear it does not mean that it is so with the 915. The 915 is build that way that you can flip the ring gear without any machining. There is no machining to be done to the gearbox. It was discussed that machining to bellhousing and the main shaft has to be done. That´s not true/correct at all. The only thing that has to be done is to cut 2 threads where the support for the shift actuator has to be placed. Depending on year of gearbox it might be necessary to do a minor clearancing at the same position (air pressure grinder).

The shifter that has to be used is the Porsche 911 915 OEM shifter. Nothing more or less.
The shiftrod itsself from chassis (rear firewall) to gearbox has to be made by customer. If someone goes the route of converting a 914/4 to 914/6 nothing really exciting...

Concerning prices I have to apologize that I used the european way of wrinting the amounts. But it was already explained what it really means. Thanks for that.

If you have further questions please let me know!
I hope I find the correct words to answer them.

Thank you for your interest
Martin
rgalla9146
QUOTE(bugat5speed @ Jan 5 2013, 03:07 AM) *

Hi all of you (and especially you Steve),

Steve thank you for these information. Already thought about writing something yesterday, but haven´t yet found time for it. My English is not that good that I can write it just straight away. So it takes me some good time to find all the translations to the technical words. What I read/see I can say that everything that Steve wrote is correct.
Some things that I want to reconfirm/add:
The 915 fits all /6 clutches (pulled type). What was discussed about with clutch adaption only has to be done with 901 gearboxes. So nothing that concerns the 916 builder.
The 930 does not have much to do with the 915. If there is a machining necessary if you flip ring gear it does not mean that it is so with the 915. The 915 is build that way that you can flip the ring gear without any machining. There is no machining to be done to the gearbox. It was discussed that machining to bellhousing and the main shaft has to be done. That´s not true/correct at all. The only thing that has to be done is to cut 2 threads where the support for the shift actuator has to be placed. Depending on year of gearbox it might be necessary to do a minor clearancing at the same position (air pressure grinder).
The shifter that has to be used is the Porsche 911 915 OEM shifter. Nothing more or less.
The shiftrod itsself from chassis (rear firewall) to gearbox has to be made by customer. If someone goes the route of converting a 914/4 to 914/6 nothing really exciting...

Concerning prices I have to apologize that I used the european way of wrinting the amounts. But it was already explained what it really means. Thanks for that.

If you have further questions please let me know!
I hope I find the correct words to answer them.

Thank you for your interest
Martin

Hello Martin
Can you provide cost for each version at current exchange rate ?
Number of deposits necessary for price breaks ?
Beautiful job !
Rory
bugat5speed
Hi Rory,

today´exchange rate is 1.30 US$ for one Euro. It´s been around that the last weeks. Last week it was 1.32, so now better again for you. My price in Euro multiplicated with 1.30 is today´s price for the kits.

Today´s prices in US$:

freight per kit is 36 Euro (46,80 US$)
price per kit reduced by 4 %, so
electronic speedo kit will be 2.610 US$
mechanical speedo kit will be 3.030 US$

for 6 kits and more
freight same as above, but for each kit discount will be 8%,
so prices will be:
el. speedo kit: 2.501 US$
mech. speedo kit: 2.905 US$

Means that mech. speedo kit for orders of 6 kits and more is about 45 $ cheaper than last week.

Deposit only in that case that I can not deliver directly. Mainly for those orders with mechanical speedo. Most other parts are in stock, or done at short notice, so that I can promise to deliver 3-4 kits directly (electronic speedo). Those kits have to be paid 100 %, for deposits I suggest a 30 % rate of the total price. When it comes to group buy orders I will inform you what I can deliver directly and which parts will have to be done first and how long that will take. Currently am short of time due to an industry-order on my CNC miling centre.

What do you mean with "number of deposits necessary for price breaks?"

Btw.: one order based on the price of at least six ordered kits came in by mail yesterday. Don´t know if the buyer wants to be named or not, but he can do it on his own if he likes to. So 5 others needed for the 8% discount.

Martin Bott
rgalla9146
QUOTE(bugat5speed @ Jan 7 2013, 01:50 AM) *

Hi Rory,

today´exchange rate is 1.30 US$ for one Euro. It´s been around that the last weeks. Last week it was 1.32, so now better again for you. My price in Euro multiplicated with 1.30 is today´s price for the kits.

Today´s prices in US$:

freight per kit is 36 Euro (46,80 US$)
price per kit reduced by 4 %, so
electronic speedo kit will be 2.610 US$
mechanical speedo kit will be 3.030 US$

for 6 kits and more
freight same as above, but for each kit discount will be 8%,
so prices will be:
el. speedo kit: 2.501 US$
mech. speedo kit: 2.905 US$

Means that mech. speedo kit for orders of 6 kits and more is about 45 $ cheaper than last week.

Deposit only in that case that I can not deliver directly. Mainly for those orders with mechanical speedo. Most other parts are in stock, or done at short notice, so that I can promise to deliver 3-4 kits directly (electronic speedo). Those kits have to be paid 100 %, for deposits I suggest a 30 % rate of the total price. When it comes to group buy orders I will inform you what I can deliver directly and which parts will have to be done first and how long that will take. Currently am short of time due to an industry-order on my CNC miling centre.

What do you mean with "number of deposits necessary for price breaks?"

Btw.: one order based on the price of at least six ordered kits came in by mail yesterday. Don´t know if the buyer wants to be named or not, but he can do it on his own if he likes to. So 5 others needed for the 8% discount.

Martin Bott

Hello Martin
I'm in at the 6 unit rate.
Is there another person "who ordered by mail" or is it possible that I'm being counted twice ? I didn't realize that I had replied on the other thread.
Do you require a deposit now or can it be provided when you've got five other interested parties ?
Just to be sure I need a mechanical speedo kit.
If you prefer we can communicate via email. rgalla9146@aol.com
Please inform me of number of orders and if you require a deposit.
Best regards
Rory Gallagher
PS I have no reason to remain anonimous.
I'll do what I can to help on the other thread.

bugat5speed
Hi Rory,

you sent me a PM and informed that you want to order. So, you´re the one who started the orders on the group buy (-:
Let´s wait some days to see what happens. We´ll stay in contact.

Martin
scraperhand
Count me in at the 6 unit rate,electric speedo, mike
bugat5speed
@ scraperhand: tried to contact you by PM. Please read and reply to my mail info@bugat5speed.de. Thanks

@ all: 2 kits now ordered. Group buy open still 2 weeks. $´s become weaker again. Currency is 1,3277 : 1.

Seems Euro will get even stronger.

Martin
sixnotfour
IN-- for mechanical
bugat5speed
ok guys,

I have the following orders (each at price of 6 sold kits = - 8 % discount to list price):

rgalla - mech speedo kit
scraperhand - electronic speedo kit
sixnotfour - mech speedo kit

The above listed kits will definitely be at the 8 % discount, even if there will be no further orders. So please do confirm your orders by sending me mails with addresses (rgalla already did).

As I was asked in some PMs and as there were further discussions here about the price caused by currency I want to tell you the following:

I will reduce the price by a 10 % discount rate if 6 buyers will be found. Currently 0396 and Ron S. are in the waiting position. Perhaps there will be one further to order, then you all will have the 10 % discount. Upto 5 kits it will be the 8 % rate.

I can not give you more on the kit. Enginering and first production and tests were quite expensive. I can tell you that the last existing Porsche 916 kits were sold at about 10.000 Euro. My kit is the only exisiting 915 gearbox conversion kit that is very near to that was once was sold by Porsche.

So, take the chance and order now. I don´t think that currency will become much better for you in the next time. On the other hand it is so, that I really plan to increase the price in the near future.

If you want to order, please make a note here in the forum and besides send me an email with your address to: info@bugat5speed.de.

BTW: the exchange parts can be send to my friend Alex Olaverri in NJ. He will collect them and send them to me in one unit. If exchange parts can only be send after conversion you can pay a core to him and receive it back from him later when you send the stuff. At least one of the customers from the US did so in the past (have to check who that was).

Martin Bott
bugat5speed
I received Pa M that showed me that my offer is a little unclear I want to repeat and say it in more/other words:

originally it was my plan that I would give you a discount of 4 % on the list price if there were 3 -5 ordered 916 kits. It does not matter in general if the kits are with mechanical speedo or if they are for the electronic speedo gearbox. The total of orders gives the discount rate, not the kind of kit.
For 6 and more kits I wanted to give a discount of 8 %.

I have three orders based on the 8 % discount rate. I confirmed theses three orders with a 8 % discount although only three and not six kits ordered.

Besides I increased the discount rate to 10 % for 6 and more ordered kits (also, no matter what kind of kit it would be).

Hope that I could explain it so that everyone will understand. My English is not perfect and sometimes it´s a little difficult for me to find the right words. If not, please ask me.

Martin
RON S.

Martin,

I am IN... 1 kit.

Mechanical Speedometer. and if the German on your website is correct.

''mechanischem Tachoantrieb"
scraperhand
Count me out, goin with wevo.
bugat5speed
@ scraperhand:

yes, thought so.

Martin
sixnotfour
Martin Invoice ?
RON S.

Martin,

Deposit on the way via Alex.

Ron
sixnotfour
Deposit sent.
RON S.
Got my Mechanical Speedo kit today. biggrin.gif In a couple of month's, after some car shows, I'll pull the tranny and make the swap...

All looks Great...

Thanks Martin wavey.gif
Britain Smith
This kit looks awesome.

For those who are converting to this set-up and will be parting with their Vellios kits, please let me know as I may be interested.

-Britain
Mark Henry
I notice it has the rough casting for the scavenge pump, any plans to finish that part in the future?
bugat5speed
Don´t know exactly what you mean with the scavenge pump, but if it´s the same that I think (mechanical oilpump driven by one of the mainshafts in the gearbox) I can tell you that I have measured all positions and dimensions of a 915 nosecone with such a pump. I even did mill it at one 915 nosecone in the past. So if you have such a pump system - for me it´s no problem to prepare the milling for it.

Martin
larryM
Quick note to say Martin has shipped my kit as of June 1 2013

I already have a rebuilt 915 on the shelf,

and now need to find the shifter parts

- so if any of y'all can point to the complete list of shifter & clutch parts I need, and possibly a provider, it will be much appreciated (... hate to have to shop it on eBay piecemeal)

I'm currently running 901 sideshift with a 3.2, with no problems

Larry M
Steve
I bought my clutch kit from Zims
http://www.allzim.com/store/
915 shift rod from Patrick Motorsports.
I also bought the PMS clutch cable and clutch cable adapters and firewall shift rod bearing for his shift rod..
915 shifter from Rennshift/Jwest
Other miscellaneous clutch parts like the omega spring I purchased through Pelican.
I also installed a 1975 911 pedal assembly with a late model clutch return spring.
I also purchased Swayaway axles and 86 inside cv joints for my 86 915 trans and 1973 911 108mm cv's and stubs for the outside.
DEC
My shift rod setup at the gearbox
It's not finished but soon.....

Click to view attachment
DEC
Click to view attachment
RON S.
I'm in the midst of putting mine together.

I chose to use (2) 5/8'' Apex joints and a length of 5/8'' diameter tubing to connect the whole thing.

Basically makes a driveshaft out of the assembly.

I haven't got the unit ready for the road yet but, I can say this much.

With everything hooked up, and having a JWest shifter up front, this unit has a much much smoother, tighter, and a OEM feel to the shift quality over the Vellios unit I removed..

I'm pumped to put it back on the road...
RON S.
I've recently finished my transmission side shift swap out from my previous Vellios unit to Martin Bott's 916 kit.

Happy to say that I think I have all the bugs worked out, and am happily motoring on. driving.gif

I've got about 50 or so miles on the unit now, and feel comfortable sharing my thoughts between the 2 units, and the quality of the current product which I have received.

on the Plus side.
1. Martin's kit is a very good quality unit, and he's gone to great lengths to ensure, at least for me, my customer satisfaction. The castings, and the machining are top of the shelf. Everything fit like it was supposed to. He's invested a lot of time and energy into this kit, and it really shows.

2. Very good vendor to work with during the waiting phase. He's a long way away, and sending a pile of money to someone you'll probably never meet in person can be a nail biter, but he's very in tune to these concerns, and was always accessible and very accommodating to allay one's nervousness.

3. With the kit installed, and adjusted, the shift quality is 100% improved over the Vellios unit. piratenanner.gif I'll say now, I have a JWest shifter, Apex joints on a straight shift rod, and this combo combined w/the 916 kit, make for short, direct gear engagement. So far, knock on wood, each and every time. I feel I can now power shift with confidence.

4. I now have a side shift kit on my 915 transmission that has FACTORY Part#'s on it, so I feel I've increased the resale value of the car relative to one day selling it.

On the down side..
1. Cost... With the Euro the way it is, the kit is now pretty pricey, but that is not Martin's fault nor should reflect on him. He works for a dollar just like we do. it's just to bad his dollar costs us $1.30.

2. No instructions included. What you get is a box of parts. If you don't know your way around a 915 box, you'll have to take it to someone who does. There was machining I needed done on mine, and some minor fitment of the shift shaft support, but nothing major.

Random Findings during the change out.

1. You'll need to thoroughly explain to Martin what you have for a 915 box so he can properly send you the correct parts for your conversion. IE: whether you have a mag case or an aluminum one. any mods you may have previously done to your trans. Billet retainer, Spray bar ETC... As I have found out, little things make a difference in the process going smoothly, or having some bumps in the road. He's designed the kits as if they were being installed, in completely stock Mechanical speedo(Mag Case), or Electric speedo (Aluminum Case) applications.

2. The support hole for the idler shaft in the nose cone needs to be chamfered. it'll come with sharp edges that'll tear the o-ring the first time you try to fit it. Chamfer that hole.

3. There is a set screw that locks down the shift lever to the shift shaft, inside the shift housing that bolts to the bottom of the transmission. LOCTITE this set screw before your final assembly. Failure to do so will result in the screw vibrating loose. The shift quality will quickly begin to deteriorate until the internal shift lever falls of the shift shaft. When that happens, you'll have 0 gears, and a floppy shifter going nowhere. Ask me how I know.. sad.gif

All in all, I'm happy with the purchase and the process. beerchug.gif I should have bought it when he first put it on the market. But, I'm glad I finally got it behind me now.
I'm copying this post in the garage section.

here's a few pics of the completion.
larryM
Ron, thanks for this !!!!

very helpful - it seems we are crowd-sourcing the "instruction manual" here

I rec'd my kit from Martin about a month ago - still need to acquire the shifter stuff; it's all just on the shelf, for "someday" since i have a good working 901 sideshifter behind the 3.2 now

your advice mirrors my experience

- since i did not have a 915 already in pieces, i did not have the "exchange parts" Martin requires (i did not understand from the adverts that they were not included in the kit - I ordered a "complete kit" only to later learn that those cores are only an exchange deal - so guys who have not yet ordered should be sure they have the exchange parts available before sending their deposits)

- after a few back-n-forth, Martin provided a contact in NJ who supplied the cores for a fair price, and i then got the whole "complete" package

- then i got the 915 shifter console & rods from a Pelican advert
bugat5speed
Looking for gearbox mechanic (company) California

Currently have a customer who wants a converted 915/916 gearbox. He´s looking for a mechanic with Porsche 915 gearbox skills and who´s intersted in doing a conversion with my 916 parts.

Please contact me if you´re interested.

Martin
Steve
I couldn't find anyone in So Cal, that could figure out how to make it work. I ended up driving to Patrick Motorsports in Phoenix. I left my car and flew back.
Now the trans shifts like it should. Couldn't be happier. If you can't find a shop, you can always ship the trans to PMS and let them build it.
Matt Romanowski
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to give my experience. I didn't install the kit myself, I had Mark at Exotech in Plaistow, NH do it. He's a 915 expert. The kit had a few gotchas like places to clearance and how some things fit. We also did a custom oil spraybar for the drive gears and put a limited slip in.

End result - it's AWESOME! The transmission shifts awesome and the ability to pick all the gears for a reasonable price is amazing. We've only done 3 track days with this setup, but I'm excited for more.
Luke M
Hi Martin,

What's the going rate for one of your kits these days?
Would be for an aluminum 915 gear box 1984-1986 year.

Thanks,
Luke
Steve
QUOTE(Luke M @ Mar 30 2020, 02:16 PM) *

Hi Martin,

What's the going rate for one of your kits these days?
Would be for an aluminum 915 gear box 1984-1986 year.

Thanks,
Luke

Here is a link to his web site with current pricing.
https://www.bugat5speed.de/en/porsche-cars/...for-porsche-914

I would email him direct. Sometimes he has special offers and group buys.
Tdskip
Old thread but wanted to ask if this is still the best direction for installing a 915? Looks like there are several kits out there now.

Thanks!
mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 9 2021, 09:12 AM) *

Old thread but wanted to ask if this is still the best direction for installing a 915? Looks like there are several kits out there now.

Thanks!

Probably the only direction. WEVO doesn’t make their kits anymore and I’ve never heard great things about the cable shifter. PMS stopped selling them.
sixnotfour
Bad thing about the cable shifters is the Muffler situation.. Because its true tail shift Trans 911..I have a old mechanical style tail shift , form renegade, its clunky..
Cairo94507
Just read this entire thread again...when I hit the lottery, my car would go to PMS for this 915 conversion. wub.gif

Why can't I find a bag of cash buried on my property? beerchug.gif
60surfer
I currently have a complete 916 kit for sale:
3.700 EUR incl. electric oil pump plus shipping.

mepstein
QUOTE(60surfer @ Dec 7 2022, 02:13 PM) *

Do you have a picture of the parts other than the company website photos.
60surfer
Sure. Also shown and for sale a Quaife Diff + side cover + flanges for 915 gearbox

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 7 2022, 07:32 PM) *

QUOTE(60surfer @ Dec 7 2022, 02:13 PM) *

Do you have a picture of the parts other than the company website photos.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.