Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 916 gearbox conversion kit (915 to 914)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
Pages: 1, 2, 3
bugat5speed
Hi guys,

currency exchange rate has cleared the last weeks. The Euro has lost some good percentages compared to the US$. It´s by this has become cheaper for you to order the 916 kit.
In addition to this I want to give you an extra-bonus on the exchange rate.
For orders/payment until end of May I give another 10% on the price.

Have all parts for the conversion in stock, or can mill at short notice (have some casted parts extra in stock).

Conversion kits for 915 with mechanical speedo drive will take some weeks extra (delivery about mid June), cause I have to do some work on the speedo drive still.

So prices for export to the US are:

916 kit for electronic speedo gearbox - 1.880 Euro (today 2.390 US$)
916 kit for mechanical speedo 915 - 2.110 Euro (today 2.679 US$)

For orders or more info you can contact me by mail to: info@bugat5speed.de

Martin Bott
Bug @ 5-Speed Germany
bugat5speed
Hi altogether,

to make ordering the parts easier for you in the US I could convince one of the most well known traders for 914 parts in the US to offer my conversion kits. Automobile Atlanta has now listed the two different kits (electronic speedo, mechanical speedo) on their site. Here´s a link to the electronic speedo version: http://www.autoatlanta.org/detail.lasso?Pa..._number=1105765

By this it will be much easier for you to get hold of the parts (no customs, no money transfer to overseas, ...).

Martin Bott
Steve
Nice product!! Can wait for more feedback!!!
JmuRiz
Ouch, that's quite a price hike.
bugat5speed
Hi together,

here´s a picture of a 915 we made a revision and converted to 916. It´s for a 914/6 with a 3.2 engine.
Loser_Cruiser
I see on the AA site that there is a core charge, maybe I missed it but what would be the core part? also, does this work with stock side shifter linkage? Does anyone know if it would work with a six and the jwest shift linkage?
RON S.

Guy's,

it's been a year now on this thread. Has anyone actually purchased and installed one of these kits yet????

I would like to hear some feedback about the shift quality, and maybe some pictures showing some shift linkage setups.

I have an old Vellios setup in my teener, and am kinda on the fence about coughing up some more coin to change the shifting mechanism for my 915 box one more time.

some one put up a post please.

Ron
Steve
I only know of two installs. The one in this thread and one in another thread. Neither of them show the shift linkage, but one of them used parts from Patrick Motorsports. Here is a link to the other thread. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=109782&hl=
Nicke Nilsson
What are the difference between this kit and the Wevo..??...(+ vs -)
RON S.
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 5 2011, 11:39 PM) *

I only know of two installs. The one in this thread and one in another thread. Neither of them show the shift linkage, but one of them used parts from Patrick Motorsports. Here is a link to the other thread. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=109782&hl=

Steve,
thanks for the link. The thread on the link however has no feedback. No real details, and definitely no pictures.

I really want to hear from someone whose installed the kit and run it for 500-1000 miles or so. Some one has got to have done that by now.

Please post. biggrin.gif

Ron
Steve
QUOTE(RON S. @ Feb 6 2011, 03:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 5 2011, 11:39 PM) *

Steve,
thanks for the link. The thread on the link however has no feedback. No real details, and definitely no pictures.

I really want to hear from someone whose installed the kit and run it for 500-1000 miles or so. Some one has got to have done that by now.

Please post. biggrin.gif

Ron

I would PM both turboman808 and mharmon for feedback. They might not be subscribed to this thread.
Steve
QUOTE(Nicke Nilsson @ Feb 6 2011, 08:45 AM) *

What are the difference between this kit and the Wevo..??...(+ vs -)

Martin's setup is pretty much a duplicate of the factory 916 Trans.
Positive side versus Wevo
-Better shifting, because the shift rod is shorter? Maybe, maybe not?
-Allows use of stock mufflers
-Worth more? The last "real" factory 916 trans on ebay sold for over $15k
Negative side versus Wevo
-More expensive and price varies based on the Euro vs USD.
-No aftermarket shifting linkage that I know of, but I have heard that Patrick Motor Sports could make something up for you.
Positive side for Wevo
-Lots of good feedback.
Shifts great, well designed and reliable.
-Lower cost for kit
-PMS makes all the parts including the shifting linkage for our cars.
Negative side for Wevo
-Trans is to long to use standard muffler. Requires either dual mufflers or extend your headers and use a skinny muffler like M&K.

The above is my humble opinion from my own research. I have never driven either one of them. So take it for what its worth.
ChrisFoley
We've done both conversions for customers at CFR-TRP.
IMO, price aside, the 916 yields a better final product.

Re the 916 kit: We were sent a duplicate of the 916 upper support for the selector shaft, which required some welding and machining to install in a 915 case. I haven't seen the upper support designed specifically for a 915 case, however I did receive some feedback in a conversation with Peter Dawe. Apparently there is considerable clearancing required to make it fit.

The WEVO kit isn't easy to install either and has its own problems, some of which were elaborated on in Steve's post.
Internal clearancing is required for the shift rods to function. The o-ring seal on the rear cover sucks, and is likely to weep gear oil.
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Feb 20 2011, 07:21 AM) *

We've done both conversions for customers at CFR-TRP.
IMO, price aside, the 916 yields a better final product.

Re the 916 kit: We were sent a duplicate of the 916 upper support for the selector shaft, which required some welding and machining to install in a 915 case. I haven't seen the upper support designed specifically for a 915 case, however I did receive some feedback in a conversation with Peter Dawe. Apparently there is considerable clearancing required to make it fit.

The WEVO kit isn't easy to install either and has its own problems, some of which were elaborated on in Steve's post.
Internal clearancing is required for the shift rods to function. The o-ring seal on the rear cover sucks, and is likely to weep gear oil.

Chris,

thanks for the insight. so this 916 kit is not a plug and play for the weekend person like my self. yes I have no machine shop in my garage.- correct?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(396 @ Feb 24 2011, 12:11 AM) *

... so this 916 kit is not a plug and play for the weekend person like my slf. yes I have no machine shop in my garage.- correct?

I think the Vellios kit could be installed as plug and play, but it isn't available any more AFAIK. Neither the WEVO nor the 916 kits are simple projects for the DIYer.
Even the Vellios kit would require machining to install the factory style 915 speedo sensor though.

Edit: I've heard that the Vellios kit may be available at GPR.
turboman808
Well not sure what feedback I can give other then everything works really well.

I can now shift with confidence.
Loser_Cruiser
The exchange rate is killing my dreams right now, but assuming that turns around someday, does I'm still curious as to if you can use the -4 style shift rod or if it needs the -6 style shift rod. Turboman? Whats your setup there?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(bugat5speed @ Aug 30 2010, 05:15 AM) *

Hi together,

here´s a picture of a 915 we made a revision and converted to 916. It´s for a 914/6 with a 3.2 engine.

Hello Martin
Please provide an update on the 915 - 914 conversion.
I'm very interested in using a 915 in my 914 3.0 conversion.
Best regards
Rory Gallagher
bugat5speed
@rgalla: sent you a PM

in general:
kit is running well. In the meantime we´ve upgraded the mould of the nosecone so that mechanical speedo drive can be installed now. Customers are happy with the kit. The kit is not seen as a further Vellios or Wevo kit, but people see that it is a repro of the legendary 916 kit of Porsche from the 70s.

Martin

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 23 2012, 02:28 AM) *

QUOTE(bugat5speed @ Aug 30 2010, 05:15 AM) *

Hi together,

Hello Martin
Please provide an update on the 915 - 914 conversion.
I'm very interested in using a 915 in my 914 3.0 conversion.
Best regards
Rory Gallagher

bugat5speed
Hi,

some pictures of the new nosecones with the upgrade for the mechanical speedo drive. Currently have a long lasting order for industry on my milling centre, so that parts have not been finnished milling for the speedo drive. At the moment they can already be mounted to a electronic speedo gearbox. Hope that I can do the final milling by end of next week. You can see our prototype where we welded the position for the bearing of the speedo shaft. The other picture shows that the mould was adjusted in some places, especially to hold the speedo-parts. Also see the mechanical parts for the speedo drive that we already prepared (only minor adjustment have to be done still). Will keep you informed and will give further info as soon as parts are done.

Martin Bott

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=311
300]
RON S.

Once again Martin, a beautiful product.

I'm still sitting on the fence due to the economy and the Euro.

I can't help but notice that due to the Financial mess in Europe that the Euro is slowly beginning to drop, which for us here would be a great thing.

What, is the 2012 price for your 916 kits in either electronic, or mechanical speedo form???

Ron
bugat5speed
Hi Ron,

thank you for the compliment on the parts. Yes the Euro is falling a little, but don´t think that it will be that much. Prices for the kits have yet been stabile and are for export to somewhere outside the EC:

916 kit for electronic speedo - 2.092 Euro

916 kit with mechanical speedo drive - 2.428 Euro

UI uderstand that you see a higher price than for another exisiting 915 conversion kit, but if you want to build an authenic car my kit will anyway be the best choice. Please be aware that the last original 916 kits were sold at prices around 10.000 Euro (a few years ago).

I am willing to help the one or other to do his decision although Euro is still not as low as most of you wish and offer a 3 % discount on both products until end of June. Can´t do much more as production costs on these parts are highr than I originally calculated. I will in the end be forced to increase the prices one day.

Hope to have helped you a little on this matter.

Martin
wingnut86
This sounds like a place where a concerted group buy from 914World members, maybe Pelican, Tangerine and RedLine included would help stir an interest, provide a bulk discount and help soften your raw material and machining setup/costs.

I have a bad habit of thinking too much while unemployed, as I was a bit of the idea man at 3 previous jobs.

1- Does this stir an interest in the 914World family?
2- Price point that would satisfy?
3- Production number to satisfy the above and make it work?

Have to ask details:
4- What would it take to tie it to a Suby or V8, as many are still heading that way?

Sorry to Hijack, but the group buys usually stir more interest and feedback if not happy customers...

Dave B.
wingnut86
...additional thoughts.

5- Provided a group buy works, maybe a few units could be sold to members who will be attending transmission clinics hosted by group members. That way, one of our experts can refresh a 915 in a group setting and add the 916 kit with all watching...

Marketing 101

bugat5speed
Hi,

who would be interested in such a group buy. Can´t promise too much on prices, but will do what I can. I personally would be interested in figures from 8-10 kits. Currently could offer 3-4 kits at short notice, but could get more (from faundry) within 6 weeks.

If I see that you are intersted I will make an offer.

So please let me know by PMs who would be interested.

What concerns Subaru or V8 it is so, that an adapter is needed anyway, but I think you know that the 915 stands upto 350 Nm about. You must know torque what your engines will give. So it´s not question of my conversion kit, but of the gearbox anyway.

Martin
bugat5speed
Had some days time to do work beside the industry-orders on the CNC Mill. Put the nosecones on the mill again yesterday and milled the place for the speedo drive. Pressed bushing inside and tested speedo drive (as far as I could - shaft is not turned or not finally turned). Works fine, just as on the prototype. The shaft of the small speedo drive will be turned within the next few days, then the 916 kit will be available with mechnical speedo finally. A further argument for the 916 kit.

Martin

Btw: Euro is really dropping and lost some percents in the last two weeks. Is there still an interest of a group buy?
seanery
I would love one of these, but I'll have to wait, more things to do first.
mharmon
The kit that I purchased from Martin has has been installed on my gear box. The car came back from paint, so hope to have it and the motor running in the next couple of months.

Will report back once it is.

Mike
Steve
QUOTE(mharmon @ May 25 2012, 08:10 AM) *

The kit that I purchased from Martin has has been installed on my gear box. The car came back from paint, so hope to have it and the motor running in the next couple of months.

Will report back once it is.

Mike

I am in the same boat.. I received the transmission back from the builder, but it will be a couple of months before I get it back together. The builder said the kit was very high quality and required little work to install it.
db9146
I am interested in a kit but I would like to see a little more feedback on the shifting performance once behind a running engine.
bugat5speed
speedo drive finnished now. Received the shafts for the speedo drive the last days. Only have to wait some days for the next angle drives from VDO. One in stock, but some others needed. Drive works fine in the gearbox.

Martin

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
wingnut86
GORGEOUS drooley.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Jun 10 2012, 10:31 AM) *

GORGEOUS drooley.gif

Beautiful work Martin.
Very interested, like many others need more feedback from actual driven examples.
Also, would help to have real price on group buy with given numbers of obligated buyers.
bugat5speed
Hi,

thanks for the compliment.

Re. feedback about driven samples I can say that the mechanical components are 100 % repro of th eoriginal 916 kit of Porsche from the 70s. So ask in the forum if anybody drives a 916 kit and what his experiences are. Some kits in the US already and I know that at least one is driving and that customer is very satisfied (one guy in this thread). Some in Europe, but many still in restauration work.

One gearbox in my workshop will be handed out to a customer the next days. He will probably post, but I leave it up to him.

Not many requests on group buy, so don´t know who really is interested. By this I ask once more and think that it would be better if replies are posted here in 914world. Will give prices as soon as I know about demand.

B.t.w: $ is much stronger to Euro than the last months.

Martin
mepstein
I understand there are a couple different 915 trans. Which one is the best to use with your conversion kit?
bugat5speed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 11 2012, 02:47 PM) *

I understand there are a couple different 915 trans. Which one is the best to use with your conversion kit?

You can use each type of 915 with my conversion kit. If you want to go the mechanical speedo route you must use one of the early magnesium type trannies. There is no gearwheel on the mainshaft on those gearboxes with electronic speedo, so you can not convert to mechanical speedo later.

Martin
Steve
The most preferred 915 trans is the 1977 915 Trans. It's the last of the magnesium (lightest) and the first for the clutch return spring. Later 915 trans are aluminum. I think they are 20 pounds heavier than the magnesium trans. I think 1975 was the first for the 8:31 ring and pinion. 8:31 ring and pinion is much stronger than the earlier 7:31 ring and pinion. The 914 901 trans is also a 7:31 ring and pinion. The 7:31 ring and pinion on both 901 and 915 are both course thread and can share axle flanges and differentials including limited slips. The 8:31 ring and pinion 915 gear boxes also have higher gears for the bigger motors. They also have fine spline diffs and axle flanges. Pro or con I used a 1986 915 trans with Martin's kit.
bugat5speed
@ Steve: thanks for the infos! I will use an older 915 for my car, as I´m gonna use the 2.2 E engine (MFI) - S-configuration is the aim. If you go 2.7 or bigger it´s anyway better to have the 8:31 combination. In that case I would prefer the aluminium cased 915 although more weight - but also more stabile (just as you did).

@ all: picture shows gearbox with mounted speedo drive. Nuts of nosecone still missing. Have to install the reverse gear switch actuator still. Bolt to fix the speedo has to be turned cause left the socket too high for the original 914 screw. Next batch of nosecones will be milled down there.

Click to view attachment
9146BRUCE
Hi Martin I'm very interested in the group buy, but if not enough people want to do it by the end of June what would be the final cost with the 3 percent discount and shipping to California 91325 and is there a VAT charge. And what kind of payment do you prefer. I still want to get the mechanical speedo kit it looks to be the best on the market.
Thanks Bruce
scraperhand
Whats the current cost for the electronic speedo version
Steve
I would send him a direct email. The price changes depending on the exchange rate.
I bought the electronic speedo kit last December and the Euro has dropped quite a bit since then.
bugat5speed
@scraperhand:

price for the electronic speedo version of the kit is 2.090 Euro for export to the US. Currency is around 1:1,29 at the moment. Means in US$ 2.699 $.

Have some kits in stock at the moment. All parts for electronic speedo version stored. For mechanical speedo drive I need some smaller parts if ordered (leadtime about 3 weeks).

Freight to the US is 36 Euro, 46 $.

Martin
bugat5speed
Group buy offered if there is interest in it

Happy New Year to all of you!

A few days ago I was asked for a further offer for a group buy. Am planning to increase the price for the kit in the next 2 months and want to give you a further chance to create a group buy.

I herewith offer:
order of three kits and more
each single one sent to the guy who ordered
freight per kit is 36 Euro (48 US$)
price per kit reduced by 4 %, so
electronic speedo kit will be: 2.008 Euro -->2.650 US$
mechanical speedo kit will be: 2.331 Euro -->3.077 US$

for 6 kits and more
same as above, but for each kit discount will be 8%,
so prices will be:
el. speedo kit: 2.540 US$
mech. speedo kit: 2.950 US$

Money for each single ordered kit or at least deposit from all buyers must be in, before I send out kits. Do only send to thise who have paid full. Not all mech. speedo kit parts are in stock. If someone orders such a kit I only want a deposit until all parts are ready for dispatch. Then payment of balance and then dispatch of goods.

Above prices are based on currency of 1: 1,32 (today´s currency). If currency varies prices must be adjusted. Group buy offer is valid until end of January 2013.

If any questions, please ask. If I don´t reply in a reasonable time please send a reminder to my mail info@bugat5speed.de.

Thank you guys.

Martin Bott
rhodyguy
confused unsure.gif are you aware the way you have your item pricing,
for example, "el. speedo kit: 2.650 US$", reads as two dollars and sixty five cents/ $2.65? not to be picky but if you need to move the decimal point it would then read as $26.50 per or $265.00 or $2650.00. hopes this helps to clarify.

k
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 3 2013, 11:57 AM) *

...are you aware the way you have your item pricing,
for example, "el. speedo kit: 2.650 US$", reads as ...

Most of the rest of the world uses '.' where US/UK uses ',' and vice-versa.

IOW - '.' is thousands separator, ',' is "decimal point.

Good to know when interpreting numbers written in other countries...
billh1963
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 3 2013, 11:57 AM) *

confused unsure.gif are you aware the way you have your item pricing,
for example, "el. speedo kit: 2.650 US$", reads as two dollars and sixty five cents/ $2.65? not to be picky but if you need to move the decimal point it would then read as $26.50 per or $265.00 or $2650.00. hopes this helps to clarify.

k

those of us who have been overseas already know how to read this... poke.gif

just teasing you. It's a good point to make for those who might be confused. smile.gif
rhodyguy
i KNOW they're not $2.65 or $26.50. maybe $265.00...but $2650.00? there must be a hefty import tax for declared value when shipped west of the atlantic.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 3 2013, 09:42 AM) *
but $2650.00? there must be a hefty import tax for declared value when shipped west of the atlantic.

Did you read the whole tread and are aware of all the parts included in the kit?
confused24.gif
larryM
well, i AM interested in joining the group buy - since i'm doing a 3.2 upgrade right now & had decided to stick with a 901 sideshifter since I have 3 of them

(I also have a rebuilt late 915 (electric speedo, but the Total Cost of Conversion via WEVO looked out-of-range, and the totally non-std look is a put-off)

after wading thru 5 pages of posts above it is still not clear to me how much difficulty is involved, whether additional machining on-the-fly is necessary at time of installation, and what one does to actually fit a shifter & which, if any 914 shifter mechanism will work

several posts indicate there are a couple of these actually running, but apparently were done prior to the final version of kit was completed and required some masterful modifications to finish-

so how about a step-by-step list, along with a price list - including the cost of sending my existing 915 to a master for ring-gear flipping and 916-kit install, plus the mysterious shifter setup; and let's not forget the clutch conversion setup necessary to actualy operate the 915 in a 914 chassis ???

are we talkin' $5-6K here?

- anyone? (Chris?)

TIA
Cracker
I can't chime-in on the 916 system but I can on the other thoughts you had. I choose to install a 930 trans in my 914 but do it right. I had California Motorsports do the entire conversion (to the trans). They machined the case for a flipped ring gear, shortened the bellhousing, main shaft, and rebuilt the entire transaxle. The total cost parts/labor was a little over 4k. The shifter was another $800 bucks and I had to set that up myself.

What the 916 adds to a 901 I do not know. I've learned whether you're working on a 901 or 930 box - it's always expensive to "play"! Best wishes!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.