Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting a new thread for my 10,000 post! New photos!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Ferg
Best color ever. piratenanner.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 11 2013, 08:42 AM) *

This picture highlights the reason I prefer painted sails. There is a graceful sculpting where the kicked up fender meets the end of the sail that is lost when the vinyl and shiny trim is added.

Great color!
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Ferg @ Aug 12 2013, 07:24 AM) *

Best color ever. piratenanner.gif

agree.gif
To be honest, I didn't even notice that cool curve when there is no sail vinyl.
balljoint
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 12 2013, 12:47 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 11 2013, 08:42 AM) *

This picture highlights the reason I prefer painted sails. There is a graceful sculpting where the kicked up fender meets the end of the sail that is lost when the vinyl and shiny trim is added.

Great color!

agree.gif Wholeheartedly!

wub.gif
rick 918-S
I was going to post a question about whether I should add the vinyl or leave it as is. I guess I got my answer. Glad you all like it! assimilate.gif Wait until you see the stripe... shades.gif
bigkensteele
Sorry to hear of your loss, Rick. I am certain that your nephew still has a great role model, even though he no longer has his dad.

I think sail vinyl depends a lot on the color of the car. I like it present more often than not, especially when the roof is on. But this color has me undecided. I think it will look great either way.
rick 918-S
Tail lights are in and working, headlight motors and lifts are in, windshield is in.

My son Aric is going to continue working on the car while I'm in Toronto.
76-914
Very nice; as usual. My heartfelt condolences to you and your family.
rick 918-S
Photos from 914 day.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Chris H.
Awesome stripe. aktion035.gif
r_towle
5,333 posts later smile.gif
rick 918-S
dry.gif At least it's mostly in paint.

Click to view attachment
scotty b
first.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 15 2013, 08:21 PM) *

dry.gif At least it's mostly in paint.

Click to view attachment

Is that a diss???

It will happen, I looked at it today....
Lots of metalwork left to go....dang.

It will be online by spring...need to start running autox again...

Rich
rick 918-S
This is a bump for my friend Gary from Superior WI. He was over today checking the progress on Sandy's car. He has owned his 914 since almost new. icon_bump.gif
rick 918-S
Wrapped the mirrors in Vinyl. The bubble you see with come out in the sun.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
I took some working door handles that we pitted with the chrome pealing off and overlaid them with Vinyl. These handles would have otherwise been discarded.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Sleepin
Plasti dip would also do the trick there Rick.
rick 918-S
This has been a lot longer journey than I expected but life has a way of doing that to all of us. For the most part Sandy's car is done. I have another front lid that I am painting body color and I have a pretty nice front bumper that I am painting also.

Sandy came out to the garage, looked the car over and named her: 7 of 9

So her she was:

Click to view attachment

As she is now:

Click to view attachment

JRust
Looks great but I think I like the body color lids better. The green looks fantastic! Especially with all the black as accents. Excellent work
Jeroen
awesome job! post some more pics PLEASE...
r_towle
Dude, where is the tape measure?
914coop
Looks fantastic first.gif , wish I could have been home today to see it in person.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(914coop @ Oct 12 2013, 07:35 PM) *

Looks fantastic first.gif , wish I could have been home today to see it in person.

I knocked on the door pretty loud thinking Dan was home but he didn't come to the door. confused24.gif He is either a sound sleeper or he wasn't home.

I'll be back down soon! beerchug.gif

For the other interested parties, Sandy and I drove her 7 of 9 about 400 miles today. driving-girl.gif We brought Irv some engine tin and looked at a 914-6 that needs a little work on the longs. It was a good day in the 914 world! beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 11 2013, 11:23 PM) *

No Rich.... shades.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 11 2013, 11:23 PM) *

Double post but still... No Rich.... shades.gif
r_towle
Haha
McMark
So awesome! clap56.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Oct 11 2013, 09:44 PM) *

awesome job! post some more pics PLEASE...

My son Aric took her out yesterday and got these shots.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
McMark
Perfection! drooley.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 15 2013, 06:29 PM) *

Perfection! drooley.gif

agree.gif Now on to the 6 !!! smile.gif
rick 918-S
7 of 9 Tucked away for the winter.

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Well it snowed here today so that's it for the year. dry.gif I found this photo my son Aric took this fall.

Click to view attachment
carr914
thumb3d.gif Click to view attachment
lonewolfe
Is that a bug eye'd Sprite? We have some new neighbors that bought a house up the street and they have two of these covered up in the driveway. I always loved those cars!

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 24 2010, 08:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 24 2010, 09:30 AM) *

Shealey

Ooooh... I have my own car now.

laugh.gif Here it is Eric! laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

Krieger
I just reread the entire thread Rick. You do such nice work! I think I missed how the hood is black? Wrap? For us California people, how does that shelter work at keeping the weather out?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Krieger @ Nov 28 2013, 10:27 AM) *

I just reread the entire thread Rick. You do such nice work! I think I missed how the hood is black? Wrap? For us California people, how does that shelter work at keeping the weather out?

Thank you! blush.gif The Hood was painted black as a last minute attempt to get the car rolling. I have a second hood to paint body color but I didn't have it prepped. The black hood is wrinkle finish. I hid a couple small hail dents that I left in it. Can't see any imperfections in the finish. I actually like it enough I may just leave it on.

The shed works but sweats inside. I am going to add some vents you use when you shrink wrap boats to get some weather proof venting. We shall see how it holds up for the winter with the snow around it. unsure.gif
rhodyguy
rich, you might consider a couple of notched 2x material propped under the ridge to help with the snow load during a big event.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 28 2013, 01:35 PM) *

rich, you might consider a couple of notched 2x material propped under the ridge to help with the snow load during a big event.

Ya I'm a little concerned about that but there's no place to do that with the car in there. I think I'm going to add some ratchet straps across the inside to make a triangle out of the top inside. confused24.gif
rick 918-S
Thinking about the Route 66 event..... dry.gif Only 12' of hard packed white stuff in the way.. Anyone got some dynamite?... blowup.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 11 2014, 06:24 AM) *

Thinking about the Route 66 event..... dry.gif Only 12' of hard packed white stuff in the way.. Anyone got some dynamite?... blowup.gif

Start the car - let it warm up and the get a running start? driving.gif

Hope to see you guys at Route 66!
76-914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 11 2014, 05:24 AM) *

Oh yeah, now I remember why I moved from MN. dry.gif
CptTripps
Get one if these...you'll be just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCwky4RHstA
JRust
Yeah hoping to see you at Route Rick! Kinda suck to be driving your 914 in that weather. We just had a weird snow storm here. I had a good foot & a half at my house. Just pisses me off as we just got most the sand/rocks off the road from December. Now I have to deal with that shit for another 2 months. At least I just replaced my last cracked windshield just in time dry.gif
worn
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 11 2014, 05:24 AM) *

Just rent a bobcat.
My wife just weaseled out of rt66 (not that I didn't know all along). Cold as hell all over and it don wanna stop! Still I have new shocks to break in and a CHT to fret over for 3,000 miles so I thiink I better book my room.

Do you want me to come with a garden shovel?
bryanf
Absolutely beautiful work. I'm so glad I didn't have that car hauled off to the junk yard.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(bryanf @ Feb 19 2014, 08:56 PM) *

Absolutely beautiful work. I'm so glad I didn't have that car hauled off to the junk yard.

For those that don't remember Bryan offered this car up as a parts cars due to the serious hit in the nose. I took one good look at the photos and knew it was too solid to cut up. Bryan gave me the opportunity to get the car and save it.

There were a couple ways the repairs could have gone. Quick and dirty or the long way around the horn. Because Bryan purchased the car after the wreck with the intension of using it for parts I ended up sourcing stuff from a Minnesota rust bucket and the classifieds here. My goal was to build it to a high standard. I think I was able to get close. Sandy and I are looking forward to our first long distance award! biggrin.gif first.gif

Thanks again Bryan. beerchug.gif I still owe you a turn behind the wheel next time we get it out west.
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 19 2014, 11:27 PM) *

. Sandy and I are looking forward to our first long distance award!

Is that a challenge? driving.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 19 2014, 11:31 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 19 2014, 11:27 PM) *

. Sandy and I are looking forward to our first long distance award!

Is that a challenge? driving.gif

Bring it on! happy11.gif But you do understand you need to get your car finished right? unsure.gif hide.gif
rjames
Just read the entire thread for the first time. Beautiful work. pray.gif Wish I had time to learn the bodywork skills or had the $ to pay someone to do it for me. biggrin.gif

Love the color. Keep the black hood. thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.