Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting a new thread for my 10,000 post! New photos!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
rick 918-S
OK, fixed the clutch tube. You can see in the photos above someone welded a huge washer to the lower bulkhead flange and then to the tube. There is a major crack in the bulkhead clear into the fuel line hole.

Click to view attachment

I cut the big stinkin washer off.

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Here's the tube and fire wall after I cut off the washer. There was a big weld I cleaned off the bulk head flange and tube.

Click to view attachment

Here is the new washer fit to the tube. You can see the crack into the fuel line tube hole.

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
I brazed the washer to the firewall and the tube. welder.gif Incase anyone is wondering why I brazed the washer and tube, It is very easy to blow through the tube with a mig and end up with a knob of weld inside the tube. Who ever repaired this tube the last time did leave a bump of weld inside the tube. I have to get in there and drill it or file it flatter so it doesn't wear the cable sheath. Besides, the cable tubes were originally silicon bronze welded in place from the factory. Ready to prep and paint.

Click to view attachment

and incase you forgot how rust free this car is. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Also finished installing the engine tin.

Click to view attachment

I cleaned and painted one of the intake tubes. The heat and oil staining darkened the finish.

Click to view attachment

Here's the new paint.

Click to view attachment

I used this Galvanized weld through primer I purchased at the welding supply store. It's a flat finish but with a light wax rub it looks very stock.

Click to view attachment

Cairo94507
I could spend all day looking at build threads; nice work and a very clean car to start with.
dlee6204
popcorn[1].gif Lookin good! thumb3d.gif
jmill
Beautiful. piratenanner.gif

What kind of primer did you use, and did you tint it? Looks great.

I'm chomping at the bit to get back into my garage. It wont be until the end of April, though. I promised my daughter I'd build her a new bedroom set for her birthday.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jmill @ Mar 27 2011, 11:47 AM) *

Beautiful. piratenanner.gif

What kind of primer did you use, and did you tint it? Looks great.

I'm chomping at the bit to get back into my garage. It wont be until the end of April, though. I promised my daughter I'd build her a new bedroom set for her birthday.

You mean on the car? That is DuPont Veri-prime. It's an acid based self etching primer used as an first coat over bare metal.
jmill
Yes on the car, sorry for the confusion. Looked like zinc chromate primer like I used working on airplanes. Haven't seen a greenish tinted primer since then.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jmill @ Mar 27 2011, 07:41 PM) *

Yes on the car, sorry for the confusion. Looked like zinc chromate primer like I used working on airplanes. Haven't seen a greenish tinted primer since then.

Yes, I know what your refering to. Same type of a self etching finish. This is a zinc chomate also but some I think are more appropriate for Aluminum. Scotty may have a better recollection of the difference.
rick 918-S
Couple progress photos

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
I painted everything, then added the battery tray with cold welds

Click to view attachment
scotty b
biggrin.gif stellar beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
Here's the stand before I cleaned up the welding

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Here's after clean up and painting.

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Starting to rerun the wiring and stuff.

Click to view attachment
jmill
Very nice! beerchug.gif
watsonrx13
Rick can you explain the term 'cold welds'?

BTW, the car is looking great... aktion035.gif

-- Rob

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 24 2011, 07:57 PM) *

Click to view attachment

rick 918-S
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Apr 25 2011, 06:14 AM) *

Rick can you explain the term 'cold welds'?

BTW, the car is looking great... aktion035.gif

-- Rob

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 24 2011, 07:57 PM) *

I turned the settings down to the lowest on my mig. My goal is to just attach the tray and keep the paint burn to a minimum. The tray is not structural in the way a jack post or a seat mount is. The bolt that holds the battery is also actually in the stand so inertia from the battery is transfered there. I also don't weld the tray to the vertical inner panel. I use urothane seam sealer and bond it. The poor inner panel is usually thin from battery acid. I don't see the need to weld the tray back to the inner panel.

Edit: I since changed my mind about this when the inertia pulled the battery tray away from the inner panel and split my seam sealer. I ended up tack welding it to the inner after all.

Hey, live and learn.
watsonrx13
Thanks for the explaination.

Would the battery tray be a good canidate for bonding using adhesives?

-- Rob
rick 918-S
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Apr 25 2011, 11:15 AM) *

Thanks for the explaination.

Would the battery tray be a good canidate for bonding using adhesives?

-- Rob

I think that could be done. Bodyshops bond all kinds of parts on now. Adhesives are extremely advanced now. They are expensive though. Like anything you'd have to weigh the cost over the benifit.
Root_Werks
drooley.gif
Ferg
pray.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 24 2011, 09:07 PM) *

Starting to rerun the wiring and stuff.

Click to view attachment

Awesome - at this pace - you will finish Sandy's car way before I finish my Willow car...
rick 918-S
Didn't Mark Whitsell say he was making the rubber grommet for the drain tubes? I didn't see it on his web site.

Click to view attachment
r_towle
you have me worried now.

Rich
rick 918-S
I ordered three windshields. One for the Alien. (cracked last year on the way to RRC dry.gif ) One for the Ravenna car (cracked) and one for the Raspberry car. They arrived today from the East Coast intacked. biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
I sent the 2.0 engine harness out to Jeff Bowlsby for a tune up. It came back while I was out of town working. The thing is bitchin! All cleaned up, repaired some brittle wires, installed all new stock rubber boots! I just installed it on the engine this morning!

Click to view attachment

Just need to complete the vacuum hoses and it's ready to install.
majkos
Go Rick Go!

Nice soft wirings are indeed, sweet! aktion035.gif
Ferg
Nice progress, maybe we will have some Ravenna at RRC shades.gif
rick 918-S
We were shooting for the WCR but I just got buried with work 24/7 dry.gif No way I can get back to it.
championgt1
Awesome! Love Ravenna green. wub.gif
rick 918-S
OK, took a mental break from work and went out and buffed the wheel lips. I have one left. Then I can duct tape the shiney lips, soda blast the centers and get them painted.

Oh ya, after buffing the lips I wash the wheels with a soft brush and Dawn dish soap and run them through a cycle in the dishwasher to be sure there is no compound left behind or down in the space between the cast center and the wheel barrel.
majkos
dishwasher?

I assume you have one in the shop?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(majkos @ May 30 2011, 08:55 AM) *

dishwasher?

Nope, In the kitchen. happy11.gif anyone looking? unsure.gif
majkos
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 30 2011, 07:44 AM) *

dishwasher?

well then I thought since it's her's 914
you had permission screwy.gif
jmill
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 30 2011, 08:13 AM) *

Oh ya, after buffing the lips I wash the wheels with a soft brush and Dawn dish soap and run them through a cycle in the dishwasher to be sure there is no compound left behind or down in the space between the cast center and the wheel barrel.

Reminds me of the time I ruined a pot and stunk up the house installing a cam gear. rolleyes.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(majkos @ May 30 2011, 11:15 AM) *

dishwasher?

It's easier to ask for forgiveness that permission rolleyes.gif
majkos
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 30 2011, 11:56 AM) *

QUOTE(majkos @ May 30 2011, 11:15 AM) *

dishwasher?

It's easier to ask for forgiveness that permission rolleyes.gif

yup agree.gif
rick 918-S
Just got these back from the powder coater! I had the back of the wheels done also so brake dust will rinse off easily.

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
Nice wheels Rick! Put em on something and drive! Happy Fathers Day!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 19 2011, 08:58 AM) *

Nice wheels Rick! Put em on something and drive! Happy Fathers Day!

I'm heading to the tire store. I spent several hours removing over spray off the polished lips. dry.gif First and last time I will use this powder guy. I'm buying my own equipment. mad.gif They'll do but it's not what I expected.

Thanks Rob! Happy Fathers day to you also. I am heading over to my oldest sons engagement party this afternoon and then building a counter in my youngest sons music store later on today. biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
Squeezed in some work this morning before anyone else got up. For those who have followed this build you will likely remember this car was a frontal crash victom. It appears the car stopped but the energy in the rubber mounted engine didn't the engine seal shelf infront of the engine was bent and the ears on the transaxle snapped off.

Click to view attachment

rick 918-S
Thanks to video from Dr. Evil and the replacement part he supplied I have the skill and the part to get this transaxle back in service. aktion035.gif I was out at 7:30 am degreasing the housing and getting it ready for the repair.

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
I figured while I had it all cleaned up I would install this cool speedo drive made by McMark! mcmark.gif

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Just received the last few parts needed to install the engine and transaxle.

Great Vaccum line set from George at AA!

Click to view attachment

I had the muffler blasted and I painted it with Zinc weld through primer.

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Oh and the brakes are completely refub'd with parts from Eric Shea. New 19mm master cylinder. and the tires are mounted on the car. It's off the jack stands and ready for the engine install.

Here's the wheels and tires!

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Engine and transaxle are mated. I hope to have the engine installed by the weekend.

Click to view attachment

I repaired the wiring for the backup lights. The ends are copper tubing. I penned the end of the tubing into a cone and used a flaring tool on the other end then soldered them to the wiring.

Click to view attachment

Some of the parts getting installed.

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Engine is in biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.